Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

oh gently caress yeah motherfuckers

Can't wait for the pissing and moaning that this is going to jack the prices way up on cars (as if that wasn't happening anyway during stagnating wages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

kiimo posted:

Like, they've never heard of blackberries. As a fruit. This all started when I said cherry pie sucks and there are way better options.

Ok, I’m with you, I have no idea, far as I know they’re hardly rare?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

So none of my friends have heard of blackberry cobbler.

When I was a kid visiting my grandma in Tennessee they had blackberry cobbler like in every diner and people prided themselves on it. I'm talking the old fashioned, cooked in an iron skillet, might as well be hocake blackberry cobbler.

I'm not crazy, am I? Others have heard of this? Admittedly I'm old and this memory is from the late 70s.

I've also had blackberry cobbler that looked pretty similar to that picture.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How does a grown adult in the US not know what a blackberry is?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I know Fiz is a real actual doctor but the optics of "don't take your medication because a doctor on a football forum said not to" are pretty funny

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Actors.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The trailing blackberry is native to the Pacific Northwest.

There's also the Himalayan blackberry, which is invasive & a real pain in the rear end to remove.

Guess which ones grow in my neighbors' yards next to mine & keeps crawling over the fence?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Woke rear end liberals ruining fruit now too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kiimo posted:

Actors.

That makes even less sense, I would assume they sold some blackberry pie while waiting tables.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Anything blackberry is my jam, literally and figuritively.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

I don't understand people who can wear CPAP machines. It felt like resting a leafblower on my mustache.

I snored from the time I was a teenager and always chalked up fatigue to my night owl impulse control issues, partying, and long dogshit hours on the ambulance. Then early in our relationship my wife pointed out I stopped breathing at night.

I resisted at first but got the study and surprise surprise I had OSA.

It took some adjustment but I sleep noticeably poorly without it (like when I can’t tolerate bc of sinusitis or something). I’ve been wearing it every night for almost 9 years.

Totally worth the initial discomfort.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dammit and theyre making the best vehicles of all the domestic brands. What timing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fifty Three posted:

I know Fiz is a real actual doctor but the optics of "don't take your medication because a doctor on a football forum said not to" are pretty funny

I figure the people here will give you an honest opinion instead of when your doctor will try to sugarcoat a solution to not offend you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

I don't understand people who can wear CPAP machines. It felt like resting a leafblower on my mustache.

Get a whole rear end mouth and nose mask instead!

Seriously though if you actually do need it--I might need it less now since I've lost a lot of weight over the last few years--once you get used to it you're addicted. You can't take a nap without it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I love the hell ouf ot blackberry cobbler

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Intruder posted:

I love the hell ouf ot blackberry cobbler

This was really my point. and you put a scoop of QUALITY vanilla bean ice cream on top it's pure loving heaven

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I haven’t had Boysenberry in a long rear end time

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm shook that someone doesn't know what a blackberry is. That's absolutely wild. Blackberry cobbler is my favorite cobbler. Blue Bell makes a blackberry cobbler ice cream that is really decent.

I'm also a fan of gooseberries, but I bet they have gooseberry erasure too. Sad.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I just hate all the seeds in blackberries, that's the only thing that keeps them from S tier imo

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had to go thru several CPAP masks to end up with the one I like (just covers the nose).

I never had marionberry pie until I moved to Oregon. Before then I thought marionberry was a mayor of Washington DC that did crack with some prostitutes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Braksgirl posted:

I'm also a fan of gooseberries, but I bet they have gooseberry erasure too. Sad.

I have not sought them out but I feel like gooseberries are hard to come by these days.

Our neighbor when I was a kid had several plants and I'd have to help harvest and, like, prep them for pies. That experience kinda made me hate them by default (and also my dumbass trying one on its own) so I never ate the pie. Now I want to eat the pie to see what it's like and it's a little hard to find.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Braksgirl posted:

I'm shook that someone doesn't know what a blackberry is. That's absolutely wild. Blackberry cobbler is my favorite cobbler. Blue Bell makes a blackberry cobbler ice cream that is really decent.

It's way better than decent IMO

I tried to grow some gooseberries but I can't grow anythign without killing it

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

kiimo posted:

This all started when I said cherry pie sucks and there are way better options.

Preach

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got some sour cherry jam from the farmers market and that poo poo is S-tier.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm from the south and don't like peach cobbler

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I actually prefer nectarines over peaches.

Also I like nectarines and similar fruit not-quite-ripe and more crunchy.

Persimmons are probably my favorite fruit and it's always great getting them around Christmas. I wish I was able to grow the persimmon tree my mom gifted me. :smith:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Manoueverable posted:

I just hate all the seeds in blackberries, that's the only thing that keeps them from S tier imo

Fiber is good

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Got all terrain tires put on my wifes Wagoneer today just in time for it to start snowing. I'm not ready for this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My parents grow marionberries, and occasionally give us some. I've made cobbler out of it and it's fuckin delicious.

Basically just blackberries, but... bigger.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
If I ever own a home, I want my property to be full of berries. Preferably non-invasive ones, of course, but berries are the best.

....on second thought, maybe I'll just keep the invasive fuckers in pots.

This is probably more work than I imagine, but the idea of just being able to go out into my yard and get food from it sounds a million times better than just a plain of grass.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would loving demolish some blackberry cobbler rn

Also I think that if you know what cobbler is, and know what blackberries are, you should be able to synthesize the concept of blackberry cobbler in your mind's eye.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My parents have a raspberry patch and a few weeks ago I took a bunch of the neighborhood kids out there to pick a pumpkin and they absolutely raided the patch. I spent the next couple weeks bringing raspberries home for them all to snack on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kurgarra Queen posted:

If I ever own a home, I want my property to be full of berries. Preferably non-invasive ones, of course, but berries are the best.

....on second thought, maybe I'll just keep the invasive fuckers in pots.

This is probably more work than I imagine, but the idea of just being able to go out into my yard and get food from it sounds a million times better than just a plain of grass.

My grand parents had a giant raspberry patch in their backyard and when I visited in the summer I would spend entire afternoons just picking berries for them that they'd pay me some miniscule amount of money for, but also just eat a poo poo ton myself. It was pretty awesome. The picking wasn't a requirement, if I didn't want to do it I could do something else, or just eat them, it was just "hey we'll give you a couple bucks if you fill this small bucket with raspberries."

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mulberries are my fav

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Mulberries are my fav

I still got PTSD from that poo poo I saw on Mulberry street.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

46 degrees on Sunday, wife picked up a roast out of nowhere and I just put a rotisserie carcass in the freezer. Stars aligned and stew season begins.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My stepdad's favorite dessert is gooseberry pie. It's increasingly hard to come by, but Oregon the canned fruit company does make it, although they don't sell it in any stores around here any more so you have to order it online. I've also found it in jars from weird random tiny bespoke companies every now and again.

Since I was curious about it I looked it up a while back and apparently in like the 18th century, americans were just naming any random rear end thing a gooseberry. There's several and some are not even the same genus, like "cape gooseberries" which I can actually find in stores here sometimes are totally unrelated.

Boysenberries are also invented, a cross between several berries including Loganberries, which are themselves a cross. Made by a Mr. Boysen and a Mr. Logan, of course, because if you invent a new berry you name it after yourself. When I was a little kid my stepdad got us a boysenberry pie and I thought he said "poison berry" and refused to eat it until my sister had some first.

Anyway I have some thornless blackberry bushes around the side of the house but they don't do very well. The fruit goes from nearly ripe to dried and hard and brown very fast because it's ripening in our already very hot and dry season. If I watered it more regularly it'd probably do OK. We get enough each year to eat but not enough to make even one whole pie. I've made blackberry jam (totally rules) and had visions of having enough to make pies and jams but after like six years of it verrry sloooowly spreading we're nowhere near there so that's probably never happening.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
When I bought the house it had a row of dewberry vines behind it and I still curse my stupid loving decision to mow them down. I still pick a bunch in March/April from places around here, but I had them right there by me.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Blackberry cobbler is goated even though the seeds are like biting gravel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sorry to distract from Berry cobbler chat, but how the gently caress did the Republicans find someone who is even more of a fascist than Jim Jordan or Steve Scalise to be Speaker of the House? I've never heard of this guy before and everything I hear about him now makes me think "Why couldn't we have the guy who said he was David Duke without the baggage or the guy who covered up sexual assault of teenagers?"