Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The sleeve section was the only bit I really disagreed with.

That and the Cross-stitched Bag for Lube.
You put that poo poo in a little plastic tub with all the other bits and bobs that's easy to move around, and put on and off the bed.

Some games are worth sleeving. Pretty much everything that will see semi-heavy usage over a long period of time.

I'm probably going to do a mini-cleanse of my collection. As he's right about tailoring your collection to your own personal needs and wants.
(Which also means I'm not culling like 20 games this time, but maybe around 5-6~)

Fungah! posted:

yo,. bought a copy of eclipse 1e in the noble knight games sale and ive heard that theres an updated rules pdf tht effectively updtates it to 2e. anyone got a line on that? also wht expansions should i be lookin for?

This is a backport someone did in Sept. Not sure if there's an official version, but maybe start with this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/265831/backport-second-dawn-rules-new-dawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Magnetic North posted:

Another terrific little advice video from Jon Purkis: 10 Pitfalls Board Gamers Should Avoid I'm sure most thread denizens are familiar with most of these, but it's nice to see someone not cult-of-the-new-ing everyone to death.
This was a good video, but LOL at citing Twilight Struggle as the complex, heavy game that broke him

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

93% of people who own a copy of John Company will never get it on the table. The other 7% are just lying if they say they did. This is a fact.

(I count myself in this number. Which one though???)

I had a regular game of JoCo every month for most of 2019, those were the days

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My favorite Twilight Struggle story is when the app finally released it expanded the audience and thus, strategies employed which upended the game's meta for a time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SettingSun posted:

My favorite Twilight Struggle story is when the app finally released it expanded the audience and thus, strategies employed which upended the game's meta for a time.

The giant clash between "Western" and "Chinese" metas yeah it was awesome

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m curious, does anybody know of any game spaces that use a member-owned club model? I’m thinking here of something similar to gun clubs, which generally require an application, an annual fee that contributes to covering the cost of maintaining the space, and a commitment to contribute a certain amount of volunteer time to staffing events/doing club work.

It struck me that this might be an interesting model for the gaming hobby, where the traditional FLGS model and the game cafe model both struggle.

I found something similar to this at this place in Maryland: http://historichaven.com

Setting aside the various aesthetic and political reservations one may have at a glance (the hokey “Oddfellows Lodge” vibe and general “steampunk stank” first among them,) I do wonder about the feasibility of the books here, whether they’re paying rent on that space through dues or if it’s really a vanity project by the owners, in essence a glorified board game cafe. I’m more interested in the notion of something member-owned, if anything like that exists. It’s an intriguing intersection of my hobby and the desert of third spaces in most communities.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m curious, does anybody know of any game spaces that use a member-owned club model? I’m thinking here of something similar to gun clubs, which generally require an application, an annual fee that contributes to covering the cost of maintaining the space, and a commitment to contribute a certain amount of volunteer time to staffing events/doing club work.

It struck me that this might be an interesting model for the gaming hobby, where the traditional FLGS model and the game cafe model both struggle.

I found something similar to this at this place in Maryland: http://historichaven.com

Setting aside the various aesthetic and political reservations one may have at a glance (the hokey “Oddfellows Lodge” vibe and general “steampunk stank” first among them,) I do wonder about the feasibility of the books here, whether they’re paying rent on that space through dues or if it’s really a vanity project by the owners, in essence a glorified board game cafe. I’m more interested in the notion of something member-owned, if anything like that exists. It’s an intriguing intersection of my hobby and the desert of third spaces in most communities.

That's interesting. We've had three different board game cafes open in our smallish university city (~200k) but two have gone tits up and only the the first one to set up shop remains in business. The first pretender died due to issues with management and multi-ownership structures, and then sold to a big name (Snakes & Lattes for those in the know). But when S&L opened Corona was still an issue and the spirit was strong but the body weak and the business barely survived long enough to I think hit then re-opening phase. poo poo luck.

I've always been confused personally why places have to be Board Game Cafes first and not second. Just have a space with big tables, food, and drinks, and put in some shelves with games on them or encourage people to bring their own and you'll get people coming in. Charge a sitdown fee if they don't buy anything, otherwise waive it. I'd happily visit venues with food and drink if they weren't trying to bend me over for every nickel and dime but I understand the push for the business model of getting as many people in and out as possible as quickly as possible to maximise profit.

If there was a place that took a yearly membership that I could invite guests (a la the range) and god forbid, bring my own booze and snacks too or at bare minimum buy for non-exaggerated prices I'd sign up in two seconds.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

FulsomFrank posted:

That's interesting. We've had three different board game cafes open in our smallish university city (~200k) but two have gone tits up and only the the first one to set up shop remains in business. The first pretender died due to issues with management and multi-ownership structures, and then sold to a big name (Snakes & Lattes for those in the know). But when S&L opened Corona was still an issue and the spirit was strong but the body weak and the business barely survived long enough to I think hit then re-opening phase. poo poo luck.

I've always been confused personally why places have to be Board Game Cafes first and not second. Just have a space with big tables, food, and drinks, and put in some shelves with games on them or encourage people to bring their own and you'll get people coming in. Charge a sitdown fee if they don't buy anything, otherwise waive it. I'd happily visit venues with food and drink if they weren't trying to bend me over for every nickel and dime but I understand the push for the business model of getting as many people in and out as possible as quickly as possible to maximise profit.

If there was a place that took a yearly membership that I could invite guests (a la the range) and god forbid, bring my own booze and snacks too or at bare minimum buy for non-exaggerated prices I'd sign up in two seconds.

Yeah, we have a few game cafe’s here locally. I live in the Boston area, so there’s a huge demographic with all the colleges around, but most of the cafe’s visibly struggle and I think maybe only one of them actually survived Covid. (It’s a shame, one of them was an old bank that converted the vault into a medieval keep for use by RPG groups. Fun concept!)

But I share your reservation about the cafe model in that it’s not really somewhere I would ever feel comfortable or even really welcome, as I always feel like I’m taking up space, honestly even moreso than in a FLGS.

I’m just daydreaming here really (I couldn’t afford to be a member of any club of the type I’m envisioning, which is an obvious flaw of the model) but I do wonder if it could be viable. It strikes me that it would function as more than just a space for playing games, which many of us already have at home, but a way to get games played- organizing times, finding reliable players that aren’t unpleasant, generating interest in a particular game, etc.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, we have a few game cafe’s here locally. I live in the Boston area, so there’s a huge demographic with all the colleges around, but most of the cafe’s visibly struggle and I think maybe only one of them actually survived Covid. (It’s a shame, one of them was an old bank that converted the vault into a medieval keep for use by RPG groups. Fun concept!)

But I share your reservation about the cafe model in that it’s not really somewhere I would ever feel comfortable or even really welcome, as I always feel like I’m taking up space, honestly even moreso than in a FLGS.

I’m just daydreaming here really (I couldn’t afford to be a member of any club of the type I’m envisioning, which is an obvious flaw of the model) but I do wonder if it could be viable. It strikes me that it would function as more than just a space for playing games, which many of us already have at home, but a way to get games played- organizing times, finding reliable players that aren’t unpleasant, generating interest in a particular game, etc.

For me with a toddler that doesn't sleep great in the house, just a spot that people could congregate at comfortably without the risk of my wife losing it because someone slammed a door or got the dark barking would be nice. Bonus if you don't have to really clean up after and it isn't a major trek somewhere. I used to frequent our one cafe because they had a nice mid-week beer deal but one of the owners axed in some sort of fugue state while going on about it devaluing the rest of their menu. Surprisingly... business dropped significantly afterwards. Just make me feel welcome and don't make me feel like I'm being a burden or hustled and I'll show up, drat it.

VVV this sounds insane and I would have stopped going instantly but I'm a notoriously cheap fucker so YMMV

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

FulsomFrank posted:

This is pretty close to where I play.

Their bread and butter is virtual golf, they also have ping pong, billiards, and darts. But they have big tables off to the side where there's regular D&D groups, chess meetings, and TCG games. Tuesdays they have Board Game Night. They have a huge wall of mostly mediocre games and they add one game to it once per week. If the machine is working you get free popcorn, and no matter what you get free bottled water. It's also BYOB. They sell cookies and jelly beans and then normal fare: French fries, tots, chicken fingers, pizza, et al.

Several catches:

Everything has a price except the (oversalted or undersalted and burned) popcorn and water. And it's priced separately. Every single activity from the golf to the bar games to the Dungeons and Dragons to the board game night. Want to play D&D? That's a fee. Want to play board games? That's a fee. Want to play both? Pay for each separately. Board Game attendance is $15 walk-in, $10 advanced, $5 greater than one week advanced. Or a membership of $16 per month.

The overpriced food is loving inedibly bad. $15+ gets you what would constitute a meal. BGN starts at 6:30 and outside food is expressly banned. I eat much earlier than usual on BGN. The place is mouse-infested, a lot of the games are in shabby condition, and I've never, ever met a more goddamn apathetic staff in my entire life. I've been going there for a year with no greater than two missed weeks in a row and they have not once recognized me or remembered my name, asking me each and every time what I'm there for and if I'm a member. Can hardly take an order correctly and their extreme facial blindness means when they actually serve the order they'll be pacing around looking in every face asking if they ordered x. It's insane.

A friend ordered a sandwich for eight dollars and got handed a pre-made saran wrapped sandwich that was I swear 2 inches by 2 inches. She tried to lead a boycott after but getting everyone into someone's home every week is a big task in general so it floundered quickly.

So, yeah, even if board games and tabletop and TCGs aren't the bread and butter owners will nonetheless insist on maximal profit evils.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Portland has a number of "board game cafes", ranging from "haha it's in our name" (Game Knight, a bar) to just bars that have a lot of quiet space and a board game borrow shelf (Tigard Taphouse, which has TI on the borrow shelf, so they're not messing around).

I think the model of "buy beers and fries and play games" can totally work.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
chicago's got at least one fully dedicated board game cafe with food and drinks (bonus round, near wrigley) and like a dozen board game stores with playing areas that range from the cavernous but gamerfied to the airy and open,

We also had a "Geek Bar" in chicago that was basically one series of dramatic incidents until it closed. its most notable feature in my mind was that it had tanto cuore on its playable games shelf for some godforsaken reason

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Columbus Area Boardgame Society (CABS) is a pretty successful model.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the sleeving thing in that video is basically right. especially the bits about the sleeved stuff feeling like poo poo to hold. but it's only true true if you're doing two things:

1. sleeving everything with no eye for what needs sleeves vs doesn't.
2. using cheap sleeves, which you need to do if you're doing the first problem.

for example - spirit island needs almost no sleeves. everything gets shuffled at most once per game, sometimes never. You could make a case for sleeving the minor/major powers, but you truly don't need to unless your friends have Grease Problems. If you're a dextrously deficient crew, just keep your cups off of the board game table.

On the other hand, a game like Netrunner or the Arkham LCG basically requires sleeves because of the sheer amount of shuffling that can happen.

Even then, taking Arkham as an example, there are three tiers of sleeve priority:
LOW:
You basically never need to sleeve location, act or agenda cards, some of those don't even get shuffled outside of the game.

MEDIUM:
You probably ought to sleeve the mythos deck, because some cards get reused through several expansions, and with repeat play you'll notice wear and tear on specific cards that you really don't want to draw. However, it's not required - you could granny shuffle your way past all this.

HIGH:
Player cards want to be sleeved due to the amount of shuffling involved in the game. Some classes and investigators are going to build decks where they wind up shuffling almost every turn. That being said, you don't need to sleeve every single player card. You have to build the decks out-of-game anyway! It's truly possible to get by with like two or three dragon shield boxes for player cards and be Good, Forever, by just sleeving and unsleeving as cards go into and out of active player decks.

Anyway, the other problem is using cheap sleeves. don't use those they're stupid. Go to a competitive card game event and take a look at the sleeves people are using there, and use those (its almost always dragon shields or gamegenic). The ones with matte finish don't make your cards fly around the table.

the "avoid heavy games" thing is... eh. I can see that there may be a pattern of people piledriving into the heaviest stuff and then backing off, but not for me or most of my friends. everyone kind of gravitated toward the specific level of game they were interested in and stayed there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I sleeve everything because I routinely have a bunch of drunk people eating and drinking at the tables while games are played, and there could be two or three tables playing different games at once. There have been a number of spills over the years, and yes it probably would have been cheaper to just replace any damaged games, but oh well.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If a game has cards and will be played more than 3 times I'm going to sleeve them. Those cards get worn; I've seen it time and again.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

How on earth are you visibly wearing down cards after 3-4 plays

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm imagining yugioh style card slams for every play

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

How on earth are you visibly wearing down cards after 3-4 plays

They won't wear down that quick but that's what I want to prevent! Sleeve them sooner rather than later.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Fair enough

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Impermanent posted:

chicago's got at least one fully dedicated board game cafe with food and drinks (bonus round, near wrigley) and like a dozen board game stores with playing areas that range from the cavernous but gamerfied to the airy and open,

We also had a "Geek Bar" in chicago that was basically one series of dramatic incidents until it closed. its most notable feature in my mind was that it had tanto cuore on its playable games shelf for some godforsaken reason

theres a second board game cafe near th western blue line that i hear isnt bad. been meaning to check it out but first i'd have to play all my pandemic purchases...

Sega Dreamcast posted:

This is a backport someone did in Sept. Not sure if there's an official version, but maybe start with this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/265831/backport-second-dawn-rules-new-dawn

tyvm, i think thats what i'm lookin for. anyone know if the expansions any good?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I was a "sleeve everything all the time" kind of person, in part because I play games with some careless people whilst eating/drinking. I also play in some dirty places like bars etc. I've moved more towards "sleeve what matters". Is the game expensive? I'll probably sleeve it regardless, even if it takes forever. Looking at you, Pax Rug. Will I shuffle the cards a lot? Getting sleeved, Flamme Rouge says hello. Does it make a difference if the card gets marked in some way? Also getting sleeved. This ends up being a pretty large number of games so I'm kind of glad I invested in like 2,000 decent enough sleeves. I also enjoy sleeving cards as a chill meditative activity, but I feel like that says more about my social life than anything else.

Speaking of social lives!
We had our biweekly games night this evening. We focused on shorter, lighter games this week.

Hey That's My Fish
A great recommendation, playing with 4 people made for some interesting times. The first game was friendly with limited deliberate cut offs taking place. The 2nd game was far meaner. This was quick fire game night though so onto the next game.

Bang! The Dice Game
Good enough fun. Seems like it would be better with more people, but hidden role games gonna hidden role. The dice can make it tough to do what you'd ideally like to and I suck at Yahtzee. Game seems fine though.

Detective Club
It turns out I really like lying to my friends faces for no real reason. Don't read too much into that or anything. Just a quirk in my own character that boardgames have helped to accentuate. I really like hiding from them as well, but we didn't play any hidden movement games this evening.

Flamme Rouge
The couple we play with recently bought Heat (they got it the same weekend I fought really hard to talk myself out of buying it, so I'm calling that a win), I mentioned Flamme Rouge before so thought they'd like a comparison. They had only played Heat with 2, but preferred Flamme Rouge. I'm hoping to give Heat a try next time and form my own opinion.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I'll sleeve deckbuilders, shuffley card games and hidden traitor games straight away. I haven't sleeved Dominion because I'm not insane and the cards that get worn will be easily replaced.

Also any of the ludicrous 'I spent to much and am an idiot' all-in kickstarter guff I impulse bought. (and similary expensive deluxified stuff) Primarily to keep resale value and also if I really like the game I know chances of fully replacing a trashed copy are slim.

As for the rest.... if a game becomes truly beloved and I want to keep it around.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Impermanent posted:

for example - spirit island needs almost no sleeves.
That's what I used to think until my Tier I Mountains invader card picked up an unmistakable divot on its back. The replacement cost me about $7, including postage. (This happened before Horizons was announced.)

And because I play it more than anything else in my collection, I went ahead and sleeved the rest of it, because my mitts have been on this this game frequently for almost two years now.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The fear cards want to split apart sooo badly

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Impermanent posted:

for example - spirit island needs almost no sleeves. everything gets shuffled at most once per game, sometimes never. You could make a case for sleeving the minor/major powers, but you truly don't need to unless your friends have Grease Problems. If you're a dextrously deficient crew, just keep your cups off of the board game table.

Insane take

e: also I generally prefer the feel of sleeved cards, if they're decent sleeves. If you're using flimsy penny sleeves that don't fit the cards properly then yeah they're horrible.

One of my friends insists on sleeving every card in Aeon's End, now there's a game that really doesn't need it. Not only are the supply cards not shuffled, we usually only play with any given card for a few games.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 26, 2023

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I disagree with a several points of that video. The whole video kinda rubbed me the wrong way in condescending tone and felt kinda elitist tbh. Haha, stop buying games. A true boardgamer must only own 4 games all published before 2007! But I guess controversial opinions gets them clicks.

I like to sleeve my games if it's a real keeper for the collection and the game is on the more expensive side. I like the feel of sleeved cards. It makes them feel more premium. My delicate skin can not bear the touch of linen finish! Yes, some cards don't have to be sleeved, but then my OCD kicks in and doesn't like some cards sleeved and other not. Plus games do go out of print and are not always easily replaceable. If I sell game, I take the sleeves off and reuse them on something else.

Reading about board games is bad? What? I really don't get that one. It's a hobby I derive immense joy from and this is another way to enjoy it. It's also one that's very niche and not widely advertised. There are lots of games out there I've never heard of and I don't think it's a bad thing to explore.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The hobby leans very consumerist, so I don't mind a video suggesting moderation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
He forgot the most important pitfall: watching youtube videos about boardgames

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

the holy poopacy posted:

He forgot the most important pitfall: watching youtube videos about boardgames

I was gonna watch but when I clicked it was 23 minutes long and I hightailed it outta there

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ah, I see. that means you understand the pitfall and there is nothing left for him to teach you :hmmyes:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Redundant posted:

I was a "sleeve everything all the time" kind of person, in part because I play games with some careless people whilst eating/drinking.

armorer posted:

I sleeve everything because I routinely have a bunch of drunk people eating and drinking at the tables while games are played

My friend group saves itself the effort of sleeving by having a simple rule: You ruin a game, you buy the replacement.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh so the hobby's consumerist when everybody wants to buy all the board games, but you get one guy making his own pirated copies of boardgames out of old cereal boxes and garbage and suddenly that's over the line

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

rydiafan posted:

My friend group saves itself the effort of sleeving by having a simple rule: You ruin a game, you buy the replacement.

Problem with this is that board game production runs are extremely ephemeral.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Problem with this is that board game production runs are extremely ephemeral.

Luckily, Cap'n Crunch production runs are not!

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Only play terrible games with your Cheeto eating friends so that they may buy a replacement copy at any time

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
What about games like Skull that can’t be sleeved? Checkmate sleeviests :agesilaus:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I know it's possible to succeed in the board game cafe space. I would never try.
Sounds like the worst of both worlds. One half is hobby retail where the most successful shops do half their business in MTG singles and the places with spacious play areas tend to be in low cost rent markets.
Second half is a restaurant, where the business model usually relies on turning over tables as quickly as possible to maximize throughput from limited seating.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

misguided rage posted:

One of my friends insists on sleeving every card in Aeon's End, now there's a game that really doesn't need it. Not only are the supply cards not shuffled, we usually only play with any given card for a few games.

I bought Aeon’s End Legacy and didn’t sleeve it. There’s no shuffling and it’s a legacy game, so it doesn’t need to last anyway. One of my friends knocked his mostly empty glass of water over, and it just managed to spill onto the turn order cards, which instantly disintegrated and are probably the only things where the order of them is random and important.

We just sleeves those cards up afterwards so no big deal, but in the moment it felt like fate decided to prank us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

million dollar mack posted:

What about games like Skull that can’t be sleeved? Checkmate sleeviests :agesilaus:

Home thermal laminators are pretty cheap these days.