Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

What I would do in that situation is go buy another wifi 6 router, see if the same thing happens when connected to it, and return it if it doesn't help. That may or may not require some amount of troubleshooting in terms of preventing your current modem/router from interfering, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Darke GBF posted:

Tried a few settings changes, but Airlink still shudders every 7-20 seconds making Beat Saber unplayable. Virtual Desktop just seems to lose network connectivity after playing a game for 15 minutes, after which it can reconnect quickly and then immediately crash again. Tried it with Beat Saber and Red Matter, same problem with both games so it's not my Beat Saber plugins loving it up.

Wireless VR basically unplayable with the Quest 3 right now for me unfortunately, looks like.

Do you live near an airport?

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Yes, thats a common feature. You should be able to name them separately, IE one with _5Ghz in the SSID, or just turn off the 2.4.

After doing this, I would also recommend ensuring that the Quest is the ONLY wireless device on your network using the 5 Ghz band. In addition, you should download a Wifi Analyzer app on your phone, and make sure that there isn't device overlap on the channel being used for the 5 Ghz band (and change it in your router settings if needed).

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Oxyclean posted:

Stupid question, but does your router provide a separate access point for 5G? My Router has two things I can connect to, with one being the 5G band, I accidentally connected to the non-5G at one point and was confused why stuff wasn't working as well as I remembered it.

Yep, it does, and I'm using the 5g access. Wifi analyzer shows no overlap with over devices that I can see.

ephori posted:

Do you live near an airport?

nope

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OpaqueEcho posted:

After doing this, I would also recommend ensuring that the Quest is the ONLY wireless device on your network using the 5 Ghz band. In addition, you should download a Wifi Analyzer app on your phone, and make sure that there isn't device overlap on the channel being used for the 5 Ghz band (and change it in your router settings if needed).

I understand the reason for this advice but I must say it’s extremely impractical for my household since I’m not going to tell my wife to switch her phone to 2.4 GHz or turn my streaming boxes off. I cut down the number of devices on 5 GHz to 5 and haven’t noticed any network disruptions, though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I understand the reason for this advice but I must say it’s extremely impractical for my household since I’m not going to tell my wife to switch her phone to 2.4 GHz or turn my streaming boxes off. I cut down the number of devices on 5 GHz to 5 and haven’t noticed any network disruptions, though.

Well you could rename the 5GHz SSID and hope no one notices it, or buy a separate cheap access point and dedicate it for Quest.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Away all Goats posted:

Interesting. So unless I'm playing a lot of move around/room scale games I should be fine with the 128GB version of the Quest 3?

Yeah easily, from what I’ve observed.

I don’t know what install size games like assassins creed nexus will want, but so far games like beat sabre, job simulator, vacation simulator, dungeons of eternity, blade and sorcery are all under 2gb each.

Red matter 2 which seems to be one of the better games visually (with a recent update for the q3) is the largest I’ve found at 9.1gb. I’m sure there are larger games though.

Oh Red Matter 2 is also on sale for me at 40% off, so I might grab it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy poo poo Vermillion is a lot of fun. It’s oil painting in VR.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Anyone else having issues with Virtual Desktop refusing to launch games in VR mode? B&S works but Pistol Whip and Beat Saber are being very stubborn about it. They just launch in a window on my desktop

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Launching games from the VD menu is a coin toss for me. I usually just launch SteamVR directly, then launch the game from there to be safe

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

hambeet posted:

Oh Red Matter 2 is also on sale for me at 40% off, so I might grab it.

I kind of skipped Red Matter. Should I do 1 then 2, or can I go straight to 2 without missing much?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Launching games from the VD menu is a coin toss for me. I usually just launch SteamVR directly, then launch the game from there to be safe

Can I do that with Oculus games?

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Usually when VD doesn't launch a game for me it's because the relevant vr framework isn't running or has crashed.

When deciding on which Quest 3 to get I looked at my Q2. I had only used 50 gigs out of 256, even though I had every app I own installed. I saved some money and got the 128 Q3.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Q3 not having a micro SD slot is brutal.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Stormangel posted:

Usually when VD doesn't launch a game for me it's because the relevant vr framework isn't running or has crashed.

How would I go about fixing that?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

johnny park posted:

How would I go about fixing that?

Steam VR should be an application in your library, just run it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny as an IT person to watch everyone here suddenly trying to troubleshoot mystery Wi-Fi issues.

Imagine doing this while the CEO keeps asking you why it's "so slow" when there's like 200 different variables to investigate.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Steam VR should be an application in your library, just run it

They're Oculus store games, though

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Steam beta app updated, required a SteamVR app beta app selection, and I was getting like 60 FPS in most of my PCVR games. I had to go to the beta Virtual Desktop app to get it back to normal. Weird. All these layers are so annoying!

Edit: I lied, stuff is still all messed up. This sucks!

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 26, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How useful are those prescription lens inserts for the Quest 3?

I was pleasantly surprised at how few issues I've had wearing my glasses with the headset, but also if I'm going to be gaming for longer because of how convenient it is, maybe that extra comfort might be worth it lol?

How easy are they to install and remove?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was pleasantly surprised at how few issues I've had wearing my glasses with the headset, but also if I'm going to be gaming for longer because of how convenient it is, maybe that extra comfort might be worth it lol?

Click

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And removing makes an opposite click

I used to wear contacts while doing VR and my eyes always dried out. Never had in issue day to day with contacts. I could not use glasses while playing, immediate fogging.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I always get lens inserts, it’s a gigantic quality of life increase. Absolutely worth it for q3, the Zenni ones are top notch. You may have to click the lens distance thing a little further out, though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mine come Friday and I'm hyped.

I think I fixed my issue by changing the SteamVR resolution settings from "Auto" to 100%, btw. Maybe it was seeing available overhead that didn't exist?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Question Time posted:

I always get lens inserts, it’s a gigantic quality of life increase. Absolutely worth it for q3, the Zenni ones are top notch. You may have to click the lens distance thing a little further out, though.

Yeah this. The improvement across the board with prescription lens inserts no matter your headset is a massive improvement.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Mine come Friday and I'm hyped.

I think I fixed my issue by changing the SteamVR resolution settings from "Auto" to 100%, btw. Maybe it was seeing available overhead that didn't exist?

SteamVR does a roughly 50% supersampling by default to try to counteract SDE. You can turn this off and push the render resolution back down to 100% and not really notice a difference tbh, but your GPU utilization and VRAM usage will go down, and your FPS will tick up a bit.

If you really want to go hard you can drop the render resolution to the actual per-eye resolution of your headset, it will free up even more resources, but jaggies will become more apparent. Not really enough to ruin the experience, but it's all subjective. Might make text a bit harder to read if you go too low. Good idea is to adjust it and try to read text and then do it again and repeat it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 26, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

VR won't be profitable aaaanytime soon.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It loses 16 billion a year?

How?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The metaverse

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
You don't get legs without spending a few billion

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Wayne posted:

You don't get legs without spending a few billion

You don't get legs *with* spending a few billion either, apparently

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

It loses 16 billion a year?

How?

But Meta itself operates at about a 10 billion per quarter profit, so Zuck can throw shovelfuls of cash on the fire and not give a gently caress. Meta are evil fucks but yeah, VR isn't a profitable endeavor until you can find something that actually grabs the average person into it and we ain't there yet nor really at any time near in the future. Right now it's such a tiny niche of a tiny niche that it's basically not possible to do VR poo poo at scale unless you have massive capital backing. Everyone else sells their headsets at a massive increase in price over Meta to reduce their losses on hardware, the bill of materials of the Quest vastly outstrips the sale price, not inclusive of the R&D costs of the headset.

Meta's game is to brute force a market into existence, and Zuck's got the cash to do it. VR will likely wind up being the future of entertainment of some point, and Meta is willing to burn absolute shitpiles of cash in pursuit of the development.

I'd bet that the Q3 costs at least double what they sell it for, per headset. The CPU in the headset alone costs about half the sale price of the Q3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I gave my two cents opinion before, but I will repeat it again: VR is in decline, and it won't be successful* until key factors are solved:

-Comfort has to be substantially improved, they need first to reduce the total weight by half. They need to include diopter adjustment by default (literally more than half the population in the developed world need some kind of eye correction). I still haven't see a single headset device where everyone in the community agrees that is better in comfort than some previous model, it's always tradeoff with some people saying it's better and others saying it's worse, that makes me think they need to offer 2-3 models instead of a single one to accomodate more people head features, not everyone has the same ears, cheekbone, forehead etc.
-Battery has to be improved to a bare minimum of 4 hours. And I mean real 4 hours of intense use, with all the features on. If a headset thas Mixed Reality and eye tracking, it has to be using these features.
-Field of view has to be improved to something like ~130º, while maintaining a small form factor and reduced weight, and not losing stereo overlap (Quest 3 did lose 10º of stereo overlap against the Q2). It seems the industry is totally stuck in this area, they don't know how to make a headset with bigger fov that isn't like Pimax Crystal monstrosity. Just looking at Rift>Rift S>Quest 1 > Quest 2> Quest 3 there has not been almost any improvement. IMO, after the first wow factor, VR lose some appeal, because the immersion with a reduced fov is just not as good as it could be.
-Standalone systems has to improve in power, but this part is already a done deal (if a bit slow), given the evolution of chip manufacturing.

And when I say 'successful'*, asterisk included, I mean reaching what eventually will be a 'big niche'. Think 1 person in 15 kind of niche being into VR. I don't think it will be **ever** be mainstream popular. So if Meta is spending billions thinking it will be the next smartphone in 10 years, they will get hosed, lol.

edit: hell I'm going to do a prediction. Mixed reality will be seen as a gimmick and it will happen in just a few months. With this I mean 'your wall opening so aliens appear from there and you shoot them' kind of MR, having good MR passthrough to see the real world while you see a virtual tabletop or a virtual screen will be always useful to have.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 26, 2023

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

And when I say 'successful'*, asterisk included, I mean reaching what eventually will be a 'big niche'. Think 1 person in 15 kind of niche being into VR. I don't think it will be **ever** be mainstream popular. So if Meta is spending billions thinking it will be the next smartphone in 10 years, they will get hosed, lol.

It will be. But not because of VR headsets, but because of Mixed Reality AR glasses, which pretty clearly seems to be the far-out goal. VR game stuff is absolutely just an unwanted stepping stone for Zuck to get to an eventuality of 24/7 advertisement hell with social media overbombardment.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Black August posted:

It will be. But not because of VR headsets, but because of Mixed Reality AR glasses, which pretty clearly seems to be the far-out goal. VR game stuff is absolutely just an unwanted stepping stone for Zuck to get to an eventuality of 24/7 advertisement hell with social media overbombardment.

I meant VR, not AR. AR is another thing altogether, and more exactly something is even more distant in the future, tech wise.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

I meant VR, not AR. AR is another thing altogether, and more exactly something is even more distant in the future, tech wise.

And I'm saying VR only exists as a begrudging stage to reach AR, and that Zuck doesn't give twelve flying fucks about the success of VR or games, he just wants to R&D bullrush to his nerd dreams of AR glasses.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I gave my two cents opinion before, but I will repeat it again: VR is in decline, and it won't be successful* until key factors are solved:

-Comfort has to be substantially improved, they need first to reduce the total weight by half. They need to include diopter adjustment by default (literally more than half the population in the developed world need some kind of eye correction). I still haven't see a single headset device where everyone in the community agrees that is better in comfort than some previous model, it's always tradeoff with some people saying it's better and others saying it's worse, that makes me think they need to offer 2-3 models instead of a single one to accomodate more people head features, not everyone has the same ears, cheekbone, forehead etc.

This is also my main concern. Not only are current headsets fairly uncomfortable to wear for prolonged periods, they're also just plain inconvenient. Just the couple of minutes it takes to dig it out, put it on, start it up, and actually get into a game or whatever can be a significant obstacle to casual use in practice. Ideally it should be as quick and simple to use as putting on a regular pair of glasses.

The Bigscreen Beyond actually kind of has the form factor that I could see being widely accepted. But in practice that one probably won't go very far on account of the price, being wired only, and the whole bespoke face adapter thing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Luv 2 carve niches out of my niches.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

orange juche posted:

SteamVR does a roughly 50% supersampling by default to try to counteract SDE. You can turn this off and push the render resolution back down to 100% and not really notice a difference tbh, but your GPU utilization and VRAM usage will go down, and your FPS will tick up a bit.

If you really want to go hard you can drop the render resolution to the actual per-eye resolution of your headset, it will free up even more resources, but jaggies will become more apparent. Not really enough to ruin the experience, but it's all subjective. Might make text a bit harder to read if you go too low. Good idea is to adjust it and try to read text and then do it again and repeat it.

I think what happened was the steam update messed with the settings. Virtual Desktop at "ultra" is already super sampling and steam was attempting to as well, when vd states to run steam at 100%. Once I stopped like double upscaling it was fine.

This was only in things that weren't using the new open XR in the VD beta and were still in steam VR, however. Games that supported that were great (my assumption is that they weren't even going through steam at all at that point). (I don't really know how the steam VR layer works)

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Back to the main limiting factor being current battery technology, right? Standalone chips already have plenty of power, the issue is energy consumption (and to an extent, heat dissipation)

Is it even possible optically to improve the field of view much further without increasing the size/complication of the lens assembly (and headset as a result)? Seems like you'd be introducing a lot of distortion to correct for either in software or in lens formula and the former can only do so much, the latter gets expensive (and fragile) real fast.