Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Paladin posted:

Oh no that lady is wearing her invisi-mask backwards, that's just going to amplify the incoming virons 99 times.

Also it'll destroy all her gut flora, which is very much not recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zantie posted:

quote:

when I am working on an outbreak unit I am expected to remove my mask after leaving an infected room, and put on a fresh one. I also have to take off my mask when leaving the floor (and put on a fresh one). Depending on the size of the outbreak, and the number of times I leave th floor, this can mean having to remove my mask quite a few times throughout my shift.

These American fire drills policies were established by experts in infection prevention & control and/or hospital administration.

Who are you to question them, citizen?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Welp my old man's been hospitalized with congestive heart failure. He's managed to avoid covid so far despite not routinely masking. No idea if any of the medical staff are masking. Guess we'll see if his luck holds.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just tested positive for covid for the first time which is kind of wild considering I'm a healthcare worker and was surrounded by it during the real bad months of 2020. Thanks to OP I already got a script for Paxlovid. Took maybe 15 minutes (I used Push Health). Day 2 symptoms aren't too bad, but I've heard enough horror stories from long haulers that I want to try to keep my wits intact. I am getting lots of rest and fluids and now I just have to fight with my work and convince them that "yes, I have covid. No, I won't be in for a while".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re going to be pissed at you for testing.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

They’re going to be pissed at you for testing.

At the very least they're probably going to demand I drive the 45 minutes in for a PCR because 2 positive at-home rapid tests combined with all the textbook symptoms won't be enough for them I imagine.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

DickParasite posted:

Welp my old man's been hospitalized with congestive heart failure. He's managed to avoid covid so far despite not routinely masking. No idea if any of the medical staff are masking. Guess we'll see if his luck holds.
I hope it does (not just on the covid front)! :unsmith:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

Just tested positive for covid for the first time which is kind of wild considering I'm a healthcare worker and was surrounded by it during the real bad months of 2020. Thanks to OP I already got a script for Paxlovid. Took maybe 15 minutes (I used Push Health). Day 2 symptoms aren't too bad, but I've heard enough horror stories from long haulers that I want to try to keep my wits intact. I am getting lots of rest and fluids and now I just have to fight with my work and convince them that "yes, I have covid. No, I won't be in for a while".

If you are at all diabetic, pre-diabetic, or even overweight, I would recommend asking about Metformin. It has also been shown to reduce the likelihood of developing long covid. The sooner you can get on it, the better. It's very safe and a lot of doctors will prescribe it if you just ask.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Saw the pulmonologist today. Nurse was wearing a mask. Doctor was wearing a mask. His supervising doctor though who came in to ... I don't know . . . was not.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
speaking of "infection docs"

https://nitter.net/jljcolorado/status/1717191527909167538

Can't believe this is being said in almost 2024, but scientists with expertise specifically in aerosols can't understand why infectious disease doctors still don't want to even TALK about airborne spread.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Sorry you got got, but glad the thread could help. Avoiding it for almost 4 years is pretty impressive considering your circumstances :)

Be ready to order a second course of Paxlovid, if the first course wasn't enough. The "Fauci Special" isn't just for the elite, but should have been the standard. Also take it easy and pace yourself the month post-infection, there is a substantial increase in CVD within that month.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This result doesn't mesh particularly well with other studies and I don't like that the authors speculate that this may be down to "methodological variations", which seems like something they should explicitly explore in the study. The same holds true for no women in the control group and no longitudinal data, which again seems lazy. Either way a negative result on one biomarkers and a theory that neurocognitive PASC stems from acute damage, rather than persistent infection (which would be bad news, as it narrows therapeutic routes and - as far as I can tell - indicates permanency).
"COVID-19 Recovery: Consistent Absence of Cerebrospinal Fluid Biomarker Abnormalities in Patients With Neurocognitive Post-COVID Complications"

https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiad395/7328977?rss=1&login=false posted:

Abstract
Background
To investigate evidence of residual viral infection, intrathecal immune activation, central nervous system (CNS) injury, and humoral responses in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and plasma in patients recovering from coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), with or without neurocognitive post-COVID condition (PCC).

Methods
Thirty-one participants (25 with neurocognitive PCC) underwent clinical examination, lumbar puncture, and venipuncture ≥3 months after COVID-19 symptom onset. Healthy volunteers were included. CSF and plasma severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) nucleocapsid and spike antigen (N-Ag, S-Ag), and CSF biomarkers of immune activation and neuronal injury were analyzed.

Results
SARS-CoV-2 N-Ag or S-Ag were undetectable in all samples and no participant had pleocytosis. We detected no significant differences in CSF and plasma cytokine concentrations, albumin ratio, IgG index, neopterin, β2M, or in CSF biomarkers of neuronal injury and astrocytic damage. Furthermore, principal component analysis (PCA1) analysis did not indicate any significant differences between the study groups in the marker sets cytokines, neuronal markers, or anti-cytokine autoantibodies.

Conclusions
We found no evidence of ongoing viral replication, immune activation, or CNS injury in plasma or CSF in patients with neurocognitive PCC compared with COVID-19 controls or healthy volunteers, suggesting that neurocognitive PCC is a consequence of events suffered during acute COVID-19 rather than persistent viral CNS infection or residual CNS inflammation.
(..)
DISCUSSION
(..)
In our analysis, no biomarker abnormalities were detected in either plasma or CSF for any of the 3 groups, including the PCC group. These results stand in contrast to recent reports that have indicated signs of immune activation in serum during follow-up of individuals with prior COVID-19 [30–33]. In these studies, proinflammatory markers such as IFN-β, IFN-γ, C-X-C motif chemokine ligand 9 (CXCL9), CXCL19, and IL-8 were examined at 4 months follow-up, and both the PCC and COVID-19 control groups demonstrated higher inflammatory markers compared to healthy controls [30]. Conversely, earlier research has shown high levels of proinflammatory markers in the CSF of COVID-19 patients with neurological symptoms up to 2 months following the acute infection, including increased levels of IL-6, IL-8, IL-10, and IFN-γ [14, 22, 34, 35].

There are several potential explanations for the differences in our findings, including methodological variations in serum biomarker analyses across cohorts.
(..)
However, the study also has important limitations. First and foremost, despite having a relatively large sample size for a study involving CSF analyses, our sample size was limited, particularly for the COVID-19 control group, which did not include any female participants, limiting the generalizability of our findings. Second, the study was cross-sectional, and lacked longitudinal sampling. Third, the assessment of neurocognitive sequelae relied on interviews and nonvalidated self-reported questionnaires, preventing a reliable grading of PCC symptoms severity. Finally, we did not include any subjects who exhibited indications of severe neurocognitive sequelae.

In conclusion, our study did not find any evidence of ongoing viral replication, immune, or inflammatory activation in the plasma or CSF in patients with PCC, irrespective of their acute COVID-19 infection severity, when compared to COVID-19 controls without PCC or healthy volunteers. Our results suggest that the pathogenesis of neurocognitive PCC may be related to events that occurred during acute phase of SARS-CoV-2 infection (including the presence of CNS inflammation during acute infection described previously), rather than a consequence of persistent viral CNS infection or residual CNS immune activation. These observations have important potential implications for future studies of pathogenesis as well as potential therapeutic interventions in relation to neurocognitive sequelae after COVID-19. However, further studies are needed to investigate pathogenetic mechanisms involved in PCC, whether specific to SARS-CoV-2 infection or infectious diseases in general.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Baddog posted:

speaking of "infection docs"

https://nitter.net/jljcolorado/status/1717191527909167538

Can't believe this is being said in almost 2024, but scientists with expertise specifically in aerosols can't understand why infectious disease doctors still don't want to even TALK about airborne spread.

doctor is the most dogmatic job on the planet.

basically a mechanic who sees a pinto and thinks a fuel tank can't rupture: if he never learned about it in mechanic school it must be an act of God

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This may seem identical to a news item yesterday, but that was Moderna.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/26/pfizer-combination-covid-flu-vaccine-shows-positive-trial-data.html posted:

Pfizer’s combination Covid, flu vaccine will move to final-stage trial after positive data
  • Pfizer said its combination vaccine candidates targeting Covid and the flu will move to a final-stage trial in the coming months after showing positive initial results.
  • Earlier this year, Pfizer said it hopes to launch a vaccine targeting those two respiratory viruses in 2024.
  • Pfizer and other vaccine makers like Moderna and Novavax believe combination shots will simplify the process for people to protect themselves against respiratory viruses that typically surge around the same time of the year.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

This result doesn't mesh particularly well with other studies and I don't like that the authors speculate that this may be down to "methodological variations", which seems like something they should explicitly explore in the study. The same holds true for no women in the control group and no longitudinal data, which again seems lazy.

what women in the control group?

quote:

our sample size was limited, particularly for the COVID-19 control group, which did not include any female participants,

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Oracle posted:

what women in the control group?

That's what I'm saying: no women in the control group is no good.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Pingui posted:

This may seem identical to a news item yesterday, but that was Moderna.

Win. My prediction from like two months into covid that someone was gonna make a zillion dollars with a combination shot comes true.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Poppers posted:

Win. My prediction from like two months into covid that someone was gonna make a zillion dollars with a combination shot comes true.

Considering the problems with the rollout, specifically the combination of lackluster uptake and the reluctance by pharmacies to purchase COVID vaccines as is, I am not entirely sure that is true. At least not if it is considered a premium product, with a combined pricing similar the price of the two shots combined.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
New antiviral in Japan,

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1717547079168647317

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Just so long as we are sure to have plenty of means testing and gatekeeping around it, as well as costing at least $2000/course, to make sure there's plenty to go around for our precious politicians and rich donors.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

targets the same enzyme as Paxlovid does (3CLpro), without the need for ritonavir to increase concentration of the agent in the bloodstream. Cool.

Love the various commentary on how Covid doesn't seem to be evolving mutations at 3CLpro sites. I wonder wh

that article posted:

widespread clinical use of nirmatrelvir-ritonavir

oh well uh, got some news for you on that front

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

without the need for ritonavir

yes please.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

There's been a type of news reporting accompanying this fall's vaccine rollout in the US that describes all the problems caused by the American private insurance model but can't seriously discuss fixes, instead only offering suggestions for how individuals can try to navigate the private insurance Rube Goldberg machine to get their shots. STAT's Helen Branswell recently posted just such an article, though they do a good job summarizing all the problems with current vaccine distribution in the US. A few key points:

quote:

‘We’re absolutely making it too hard’: The complexity of adult immunization delivery hinders vaccine uptake
By Helen Branswell Oct. 25, 2023

Alison Buttenheim was floored by a sign she saw in her doctor’s office when she went to get the first jab of the two-dose shingles vaccine to protect her against painful flare-ups of varicella zoster.

Medicare patients cannot receive Tdap or zoster vaccines here. They need to obtain [them] at their pharmacy. If they receive it here, they need to pay out of pocket,” the notice read.
Then there are issues around payment.

The payment piece should be simple because U.S. health insurers are required to pay for vaccines that have been recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, which guides the CDC on vaccine use. The vaccines we’re talking about here have all been recommended by the ACIP. But when a vaccine is newly added to the recommended list, insurers have up to a year to start to cover the cost. Some take their time, as a number of people who tried to get an RSV shot this fall found out to their dismay.

Even insurers that add a new vaccine quickly may have restrictions on where the people they cover can get immunized. Limaye’s insurance pays for her vaccines if she gets them at a Hopkins pharmacy or at a Walgreens. If she books an appointment at a CVS, however, she’d end up having to pay for her shot.

There’s a simple fix for this, Omer said. The Vaccines.gov website that people can search to find appointments for Covid or flu shots could be programmed to ask users for health insurance details, and incorporate that information into the search results they are shown. Even better would be if the site linked individuals to their vaccine records to help remind them of the immunizations they are missing. “That would be the version 4.0,” he said. “There seems to be some limitation of our imagination, even within the existing resources. It’s not easy, but it’s not nearly impossible.”
“Honestly, if we really care about the health of the American people, all pharmacies should be able to offer all adult vaccines. Bottom line,” she said, adding there should be no in-network/out-of-network deals between insurers and pharmacy chains.
Even if the issues around insurance reimbursement could be clarified, that wouldn’t solve the problem of under-vaccinated adults, however. That’s because a big chunk of American adults, an estimated 25 million, are not covered by private insurance, Medicaid, or Medicare.
The article does include a quote from the public health Dean suggesting a band-aid fix that private insurers shouldn't be allowed to place network restrictions on vaccine administration, similar to US Federal law regarding emergency care. However the larger picture painted by the article is American public health being failed by private insurance providers in even fairly simple preventative care, yet very little discussion about adapting the private insurance model or presenting realistic proposals to do so. Instead you get experts suggesting that maybe making the vaccines.gov website better could help increase vaccine uptake, which is just so futile. Most charitably the ACA experience destroyed all interest in US healthcare reform for the foreseeable future, though this type of reporting might also be an example of how modern western media can't seriously discuss reforming problems caused by the capitalist system manufacturing consent-style.

STAT also semi-recently posted a good article pointing out that people should in fact get the updated vaccine protecting against the infectious disease causing the largest number of hospitalizations and deaths. It's a little silly that this kind of article needs to be written at all but the recent estimate that only ~3% of Americans have received the booster shows there's a need. One key quote summarizing an analysis presented to the CDC ACIP of the projected benefit of the updated shot in the American population:

quote:

https://www.statnews.com/2023/10/13/updated-covid-vaccine-for-everyone/
Yes, everyone should get an updated Covid-19 vaccine
By Jennifer Beam DowdOct. 13, 2023
But cost-benefit scenarios presented to ACIP showed that universal vaccination was worth the cost under most scenarios. Compared with only vaccinating those older than 65, universal vaccine recommendations were projected to prevent about 200,000 more hospitalizations and 15,000 more deaths over the next two years. These modeling exercises don’t even typically account for things like potential long Covid and lost productivity of parents staying home with sick kids. So, if anything the collective benefits are likely underestimated.
Preventing ~15000 deaths and hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations seems a worthwhile goal in and of itself, even leaving aside that the updated shots likely have an overall positive cost-benefit.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nocturtle posted:

Preventing ~15000 deaths and hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations seems a worthwhile goal in and of itself, even leaving aside that the updated shots likely have an overall positive cost-benefit.

no systemic analyses allowed

no knock-on effects acknowledged

profits only, number go UP

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The only true metric is how much money was siphoned off to capital. We have no national will to do anything else.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://github.com/neherlab/SARS-CoV-2_variant-reports/blob/main/reports/variant_report_latest_draft.md posted:

Variant report 2023-10-26
BA.2.86
While BA.2.86 itself does not appear to be growing faster than the fastest XBB sublineages, the BA.2.86 sublineage with extra S:L455S (JN.1) appears to be the fastest growing lineage at the moment.

In sequences collected in September, BA.2.86 was most common in South Africa at around 15-20%, followed by Europe where it made up 2-4% and North America/Japan where it made up 0.5-1%.

Consistent with the modest growth advantage of BA.2.86 observed in Europe and North America, BA.2.86 does not appear to be becoming dominant quickly in South Africa.

However, this is not the case for the JN.1 sublineage which was first observed in Luxembourg and is currently particularly common in France, Iceland and Luxembourg but also observed globally.

At the time of writing last month's report, there were 4 JN.1 shared via GISAID. Now there are already 126. This is consistent with a relative doubling time of around a week.

The relatively fast growth of JN.1 makes it more likely than a month ago that BA.2.86 will outcompete XBB lineages in the mid term.

Another potentially beneficial RBD mutation that has been observed in two clusters in BA.2.86 is S:A475V. This mutation has already been observed to be beneficial in XBB FLip lineages. The small size of the BA.2.86 + S:A475V clusters means it is not possible to draw conclusions about their growth rates.

A Nextstrain tree with around 1200 BA.2.86 sequences that has artefacts masked an problematic sequences excluded can be found here: https://nextstrain.org/groups/neherlab/ncov/BA.2.86
(..)

:crnasickos:

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
https://x.com/Annalisa840917/status/1717403791161532624?s=20

Apr 7, 2003

We have the tools, also you can't use them

Apr 7, 2003

quote:

Vance said COVID will be “with us for the rest of our lives” and there should not be a “never ending cycle of public health panic” that surrounds it.

lmao that's an argument for disease control measures, not against them

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

But it's haaaaaard!! :qq:

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Vote.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
god drat, parents got their shots on Monday and are testing positive today

this will be bout 3 for them :(

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fosborb posted:

god drat, parents got their shots on Monday and are testing positive today

this will be bout 3 for them :(

Did they at least enjoy Disney?

Hope they pull through fine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

No it's a completely traditional liberal argument for why better things aren't possible. It's the same basic argument liberals use to increase cop funding:

1. This situation may be bad (level of admission here varies), but it's is just How It Is. Assuming we can make the situation better is childish. E.g., poverty and crime exist and it's utopian to expect those to get better.
2. We can't let perfect be the enemy of the good. E.g., you can't expect people to live under the threat of having crime done to them under the premise that some day the root causes for that crime will improve because of what we already assumed is true in (1), and asking them to is also childish.
3. Taking as axiomatic the current state being fixed and any attempt to change it being utopian wishful childishness, the available solutions can be constrained to only those that serve entrenched interests, since those are the ones that have money/win elections/institutional capacity. Trying to do something else is, again, childish utopianism. E..g, if you support any fix for this whole crime thing except more money for cops, you're a dumb baby who doesn't understand how the world works.

Same exact logic applies here:

1. Covid isn't going to go away; we have to live with it forever.
2. Also, your attempts to mitigate the risk in that present reality are too much to ask from people who can't be expected to do things like that.
3. The only viable solutions are those that are performed by and benefit entrenched interests. In this case, the only viable solution is actually ignoring the problem since doing almost anything at all is a cost to capital that is unacceptable. Even air filtration is unacceptable because it costs something and there isn't an entrenched air filtration lobby that stands to benefit. See also: why COVID emergency funding got spent on cops.

You can predict pretty much every mainstream liberal response this way.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Oct 26, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

there isn't an entrenched air filtration lobby

Not yet (vote).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

At the very least they're probably going to demand I drive the 45 minutes in for a PCR because 2 positive at-home rapid tests combined with all the textbook symptoms won't be enough for them I imagine.

It's a shame you don't feel medically safe to drive with your current sickness level so I guess if they want a PCR they'll have to pay for someone to come swab you at home.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

Not yet (vote).

Voting for someone who wants to fix anything is Helping Republicans(tm)

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Platystemon posted:

They waged biological warfare on a continent full of bunnies.

Killing hundreds in the lab doesn’t even register on that scale.

From a few pages back and a bit of a tangent, but as a result of this bunny bio-weapon, there’s a nearly 90% fatal version of the virus called RHDV2 that started circulating in wild rabbits in the US in 2020 ( :shepface: ). And of course it can spread asymptomatically and hangs around on fabric and poo poo for months!

Thankfully there’s a basically 100% effective vax for this, and we just have to take our little guys to the vet for a booster shot once a year. They even got little vax cards with a masked bunny on them :3:

I guess what I’m saying is that we have the tools, if you’re a bunny. I would like it if we can someday achieve tool parity for people (lol lmao)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The Oldest Man posted:

No it's a completely traditional liberal argument for why better things aren't possible. It's the same basic argument liberals use to increase cop funding:

1. This situation may be bad (level of admission here varies), but it's is just How It Is. Assuming we can make the situation better is childish. E.g., poverty and crime exist and it's utopian to expect those to get better.
2. We can't let perfect be the enemy of the good. E.g., you can't expect people to live under the threat of having crime done to them under the premise that some day the root causes for that crime will improve because of what we already assumed is true in (1), and asking them to is also childish.
3. Taking as axiomatic the current state being fixed and any attempt to change it being utopian wishful childishness, the available solutions can be constrained to only those that serve entrenched interests, since those are the ones that have money/win elections/institutional capacity. Trying to do something else is, again, childish utopianism. E..g, if you support any fix for this whole crime thing except more money for cops, you're a dumb baby who doesn't understand how the world works.

Same exact logic applies here:

1. Covid isn't going to go away; we have to live with it forever.
2. Also, your attempts to mitigate the risk in that present reality are too much to ask from people who can't be expected to do things like that.
3. The only viable solutions are those that are performed by and benefit entrenched interests. In this case, the only viable solution is actually ignoring the problem since doing almost anything at all is a cost to capital that is unacceptable. Even air filtration is unacceptable because it costs something and there isn't an entrenched air filtration lobby that stands to benefit. See also: why COVID emergency funding got spent on cops.

You can predict pretty much every mainstream liberal response this way.

lol yeah pretty much. We can't do anything about the problem because the problem exists, it is unrealistic to solve problems, vote for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Panic Restaurant posted:

They even got little vax cards with a masked bunny on them :3:

That is loving adorable and I want one.