Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Omobono posted:

What if the mooks got a lucky shot in? We're not in a story where it makes sense for people to know that a character has plot armour and will survive no matter what.

Then Valerian bagged Jim Raynor, notorious outlaw, decapitating the rebellious Raynor's Raiders.

Valerian is an extremely political animal and one of the few good characters that Starcraft 2 has produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The physics on the star are so wrong that it doesn't even bug me. It's so far detached from reality that the mission is indistinguishable from "A wizard did it." If the science is sorta right that always annoys me but this is the realm of pure fantasy and I don't mind that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kith posted:

Then Valerian bagged Jim Raynor, notorious outlaw, decapitating the rebellious Raynor's Raiders.

Valerian is an extremely political animal and one of the few good characters that Starcraft 2 has produced.

the only good characters that sc2 produced are either tychus or they have names that start with a

valerian's okay I guess

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

aniviron posted:

The physics on the star are so wrong that it doesn't even bug me. It's so far detached from reality that the mission is indistinguishable from "A wizard did it." If the science is sorta right that always annoys me but this is the realm of pure fantasy and I don't mind that.

Right, it is just a space magic, not like SC2 tries to be a hard scifi.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Don't worry Ariel, you won't have to wait that much longer.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Unit Spotlight: Banshee

Overview:
  • Cost: 150 minerals, 100 gas, 3 supply
  • Production Structure: Starport w/ Tech Lab
  • Health: 140
  • Armor: 0 (+1)
  • Energy: 50 starting/200 max
  • Movement Speed: 2.75
  • Attack: 12 (+1) x2, ground only
  • Range: 6
  • Attack Speed: 1.25
  • Attributes: Light, Mechanical

While significantly better than the Wraith (not that that's a high bar to clear) and a surprisingly high DPS, the Banshee does have one major flaw:

6 range still leaves it uncomfortably close to the front line, and 140 health is a smidge fragile when you cost 100 gas a head. They're still very good, but they definitely lean more towards a glass cannon style.

Abilities

Cloak
  • Cost: 25 energy initially, 0.9 energy per second after.
  • The Banshee becomes invisible.
Still useful, but it takes a slight ding compared to the Wraith just because it has no way to shoot down Overseers and Observers on their own.

In a mixed army that can take care of Detectors for them, however, this significantly cuts down on their incoming damage.

Armory Upgrades

Cross-Spectrum Dampeners
  • Cost: 80,000 credits
  • Sustained Cloak cost is reduced to 0.45 energy per second.
Wolfe Industries offers a new model of Banshee that embeds light-dampening materials into the hull. This new hull material requires far less energy to conceal and makes it much easier for the Banshee to maintain cloak once initiated.

The Wraith has an upgrade with a similar goal: making it easier to get enough energy for an extended cloak session. Straight out of the Starport, the Wraith upgrade actually wins out! 150 energy gives it around 138 seconds of cloak, while the Banshee's 50 energy only lasts for 55. Finally, a win for the humble Wraith!

...is what I would say if Cellular Reactor didn't exist.

Suddenly instead of 150 vs 50, we're looking at 250 vs 150. The Wraith now gets 250 seconds worth of cloak, sure, but now Banshees get 277 seconds. And every moment they spend sitting around building energy just widens the gap that much more.

Shockwave Missile Battery
  • Cost: 110,000 credits
  • Banshees attacks now hit multiple enemies in a line from their initial target.
The Shockwave Missile Battery fires multiple missiles in a straight line with each shot, allowing the Banshee to hit multiple ground targets. This upgrade is essential when fighting ground targets that are packed close together.

This completely shuts down swarms of Zerglings, which is what we'll be seeing a lot of for the rest of the game.

Mercenary: Dusk Wing

• Hiring Cost: 45,000 Credits
  • Mission Cost: 350 minerals, 200 gas, 6 supply
  • Squad Size: 2 Banshees
  • Hiring Cap: 2 squads
  • Cooldown: 7 minutes
  • Stat boosts: +25% Health, +50% Damage
The Dusk Wings were one of the first banshee squadrons deployed by the Dominion. They soon went AWOL when they realized that freelancing with their new toys was a way to get rich quick.

Me, five seconds ago posted:

and 140 health is a smidge fragile when you cost 100 gas a head

Oh look, for an extra 50 minerals we have a way to cover for their main flaw, plus a sizable damage boost on top of that!

Field Manual Artwork

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 24, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you might think it foolish & pointless for a tiltrotor VTOL to have a stabilizing tail blade; however it is in fact crucial for space flight

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Holy poo poo, I learned something about the Banshee today.

I never realized the base model had nose art.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will always adore that goddamn Marine in the Field Manual.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

BisbyWorl posted:

Field Manual Artwork

One day Banshee Char Aznable will revolutionize combat when they try targeting the other plane with banshee bombs by just flying a little higher than them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sure the person who wrote that whenever a banshee is shot down a super special Dominion task force retrieves or blows up the stealth generator thingie but it's so stupid when you remember that Raynor, and every other Terran faction, already has them and there are even rogue ones hiring themselves out as mercenaries. It's not like the zerg can use them and the protoss already have vastly better stealth technology.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

It's not like the zerg can use them

Incorrect. :getin:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, the zerg can't make them, more accurately. If the zerg use them, they borrow the whole vehicle, the pilot, and presumably their knowledge given that infested terrans don't immediately crash whatever vehicles they attempt to drive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, the zerg can't make them, more accurately. If the zerg use them, they borrow the whole vehicle, the pilot, and presumably their knowledge given that infested terrans don't immediately crash whatever vehicles they attempt to drive.

Depends on how you interpret the infested starports making infested banshees.

One of the co-op commanders is themed around infested terrans, and fields diamondbacks, banshees, siege tanks, and other toys all suitably turned to the zerg's purposes.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

the infested siege tank isn't real, it can't hurt me

infested siege tank:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh right. I don't have any knowledge, or interest, in the coop commander stuff and forgot about them. But surely infested banshees are just regular existing banshees with an infested pilot?

I meant it more like the zerg can't study the essence of a banshee cloaking generator and use it to morph stealth mutalisks. Although cloakable scourge would be hilarious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ultralisk but it's forklift certified

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

But surely infested banshees are just regular existing banshees with an infested pilot?

Nope. The infested commander mixes things up quite a bit. Infested banshees can burrow, fire infested terrans in eggs instead of rockets, and in one of the commander's variants, do double duty as dropships air dropping more zombies into the fray.

One of their summonable units is a brutalisk with Odin parts grafted onto it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

BisbyWorl posted:

the infested siege tank isn't real, it can't hurt me

infested siege tank:

You know that makes me think that it's actually a huge missed opportunity to not have a base Zerg unit that's just like a big hermit crab that uses Terran/Protoss vehicles for a shell after crunching through the previous occupants. It feels like the sort of thing that would start to show up after ??? years of Zerg-Terran-Protoss war and an Overmind replacement that knows that a tank isn't just a particularly hard-to-open fast food container.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I'll start covering co-op in HotS, doing one race of commanders per game. So I'll do the terrans in HotS, zerg in LotV, and protoss in Covert Ops.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

I'll start covering co-op in HotS, doing one race of commanders per game. So I'll do the terrans in HotS, zerg in LotV, and protoss in Covert Ops.

Looking forward to this! I've always been interested in the co-op but never had anyone to play with. I don't mind whether or not I get to actually play but I'd like to see what all the different gimmicks are.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The marine's quip in the Banshee field manual is weird to me. I was always fine with the gameplay contrivance that yes, as ranged units marines are allowed to shoot down spacecraft. By the game's rules, it makes total sense. But it's farcical outside of the context of the game. I don't care if you have a gauss rifle, aircraft are far away and they're fast, and it's not like the marines are using Stinger-type antiaircraft rockets. So it's weird to me, seeing a marine scrawl in fieldbook that, yes, they do in fact shoot at airplanes with their guns, and it works.

Also the fact that hydralisks can spit planes (and spacecraft!) out of the sky is magical.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cythereal posted:

Nope. The infested commander mixes things up quite a bit. Infested banshees can burrow, fire infested terrans in eggs instead of rockets, and in one of the commander's variants, do double duty as dropships air dropping more zombies into the fray.

At this point a character we haven't met yet (first appearance HotS) is just showboating. What's the next project, giant mutalisks producing scourge like they were interceptors?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Poil posted:

I'm sure the person who wrote that whenever a banshee is shot down a super special Dominion task force retrieves or blows up the stealth generator thingie but it's so stupid when you remember that Raynor, and every other Terran faction, already has them and there are even rogue ones hiring themselves out as mercenaries. It's not like the zerg can use them and the protoss already have vastly better stealth technology.

I think it's meant to highlight that the banshee cloak specifically is a new Dominion prototype that's slightly more efficient. Wraith cloak by default uses 1 energy per second, while default Banshee cloak uses 0.9 energy per second. Given energy recharge time probably isn't different (frankly it's weird they even messed with spend rate), that means more time cloaked vs. recharging. It's an incremental improvement, but even those get very closely guarded when they're military in nature.

E: Now while there are mercs who took off with some prototypes and Swann has access to the blueprints somehow, meaning it's a bit too late for such things since the secret's out, military "secrets" tend to persist long after their actual usefulness.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 25, 2023

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Goddamn it, I don’t want to reinstall Bnet but sounds like I’ve missed something rad by never doing co-op

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SC2 Co-op manages to be fun by:
  • Never giving a poo poo about story
  • Focusing on theming over balance
  • Being willing to mix things up and do crazy poo poo
And it achieved all of those things on a shoe-string budget with almost no oversight. It's genuinely good and highly recommended!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kith posted:

Exhibit A: Thrall's angry quote in Heroes of the Storm; Thrall: "Wait, what? What do you mean, there's lore in this game? You guys actually paid someone to write a story about Raynor meeting Diablo? Isn't this precisely what fan fiction is for?!" (growls) "I didn't approve any of this!"
(https://heroesofthestorm.fandom.com/wiki/Thrall/Quotes has audio, scroll down to the end of "click quotes" for this one)

Exhibits B to D: hearthstone, One night in Karazhan, Saviors of Uldum, and Felfire festival trailers.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kith posted:

• Focusing on theming over balance
  • Being willing to mix things up and do crazy poo poo
And it achieved all of those things on a shoe-string budget with almost no oversight. It's genuinely good and highly recommended!

:emptyquote:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Some notable highlights of co-op:
  • What if your army was literally five dudes?
  • What if you could fill a teleporting dropship with eight Siege Tanks?
  • What if you wanted to make your friend's computer explode?
  • What if your race selection was yes?
  • What if Scouts were good?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Okay now I know you're taking the piss

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I was under the impression that the optimal way of playing coop is just turbocheese spawn camping the enemies tbh

Xarn fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 26, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xarn posted:

I was under the intention that the optimal way of playing coop is just turbocheese spawn camping the enemies tbh

This requires you to 1) know the spawns, 2) know the timings, 3) have your composition in place to do it, and 4) have a composition that won't get utterly deleted by the wave (this has happened to me). The timings are less important, but there's also usually a caveat of "the spawn is right through the center of their heavily fortified base" which unless you're already stomping the AI you may not be in a position to do anything about.

But yes, as Nova I delight in calling in my 1000 mineral airstrike on a wave as it spawns in and watching the whole thing get deleted, or running ahead of the mission objective to nuke and sabotage a base using supercloak to make it so that the big capstone fight of the mission is actually just mopping up some half-destroyed buildings instead. It is immensely satisfying.

edit: Difficulty matters too. I'm at the point where on Brutal I can reliably scrub the map of all enemies and only be dealing with the waves. Brutal+ on the other hand can be a mixed bag for reasons I'm sure Bisby will get into when we get there.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 26, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BisbyWorl posted:

• What if your army was literally five dudes?
  • What if you could fill a teleporting dropship with eight Siege Tanks?
  • What if you wanted to make your friend's computer explode?
  • What if your race selection was yes?

I'm really interested in all of these. I look forward to you covering co-op. I played a few dozen matches, but remember very little. It was quite fun though!

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
My memory of co-op was trying it out, failing a few times because I was new at it, being called all manner of names and slurs, and then never doing it again.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was never a super big fan of coop since it plays like coop singleplayer missions instead of skirmish mode comp stomps, that said its solid fun with a buddy

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Co-op does have a lot of good things (Scouts are indeed good for one commander), but it also has one major issue: other than the default commanders, you have to buy each additional one. for $5 USD apiece. and they never go on sale.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Chad Jihad posted:

I was never a super big fan of coop since it plays like coop singleplayer missions instead of skirmish mode comp stomps, that said its solid fun with a buddy

But you can just do skirmish mode comp stomps with a friend? Hell, you can even run them with the co-op commanders.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

But you can just do skirmish mode comp stomps with a friend? Hell, you can even run them with the co-op commanders.

Yeah, but you don't get the progression skinnerbox that way and you're with the orthodox races, although I did not know you could do commanders with them so I am looking into that now

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

what

since when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kith posted:

what

since when

I just looked, there's custom mods to do it.