Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
Really enjoyerd binging this thread over the past few days. I like the Thieves' Den stuff, to the point of actually booting up the game once just to play Tycoon, but I recognize that's not normal. If it's not fun for you, you don't have to show it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Tycoon is like the best thing they added in Royal, so that makes sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 153: 10/12-10/14: Peer Review (New)

This update covers content from Part 123 of the original LP.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

>No, but I also did not try.
Why would you not reach out?
>I don’t wanna annoy her…
Well, the ship has sailed on that one. We’ve all been trying to get hold of her all day.
She hasn’t been reading any of our messages… We’ll just have to wait.

It’s the stuff we ordered from Tanaka.

She wouldn’t, right? …Right?

Today, the police investigated President Okumura’s home and other places he had visited. They’re looking into whether this was a crime or an accident, butt he cause of death remains unknown as of now.
Sounds like the police even went to your school… What are they going to do?

Music: Tense, thrilling music

Terrifying editor voice: If you wanna live, put that pen to paper!
Nervous writer voice: This is insane! How can I… (inaudible) sequel… (inaudible)?
Terrifying editor voice: Dammit, you’re breaking up! I’ll call back later!

That editor is terrifying… No one could finish that many pages in such a short time. Does he even stand a chance?

Music: Everyday Days

Maybe you’ve learned a thing or two about Guts from watching this drama.

Maaku gains Guts +3.

All right, we’ve maxed out all our social stats. We still had some time (but not much) before we needed to max Guts, so this is good.

Gonna assume the guy freaking out about the stock price is that idiot in Akihabara.

Is there an illness that could cause that…?
Nah, no way…
So it was murder? That’s terrifying…
This might be the biggest event of the century.

No it’s not!

Anon: Well that was disturbing……
Anon: Now, who’s next? ;)
Anon: his face, holy poo poo
Anon: big bang indeed LOL

Anon: they got carried away…

The percentage decreases again.

Early Morning

Music: Suspicion

I’m sorry for messaging you this early, but there’s something I need to inform everyone of.
>How are you doing?
I’m all right, thank you. There’s something that’s caught my attention… Could we meet up with everyone and discuss it after school today?

All right, let’s meet up with everyone after school.

Yes, let’s all meet up in one place we have been invited to by the person who may think we murdered her dad. Great plan.

Yes. Next question.

But that was a live broadcast, wasn’t it?
If it wasn’t an illness… then it has to be murder!
Did something happen to the honor student? She seems different now…
Still, I feel bad for him, going out like that…

If it’s not clear from the fourth line here being a non-sequitur that doesn’t actually lead into the fifth, the fourth line was added in Royal to refer to Kasumi. The original fourth line was “Didn’t he kinda deserve to die anyway?”, which makes much more sense in context.

Anon: ohhhhh shiiiii!!!
Anon: yeah… this is terrorism
Anon: the saviors are PISSED!
Anon: dont fukkin murder ppl
Anon: nvm, im back with akechi
Anon: eh, good riddance

Early Morning → After School

Music: Desire

All the pieces are in place… The Phantom Thieves, praised by the public as “allies of justice,” will be stricken down by the same public…
I forgot how much I hate talking to you. You always do this.
Err, sorry.
Whatever. Have you prepared the prosecutor to go after them yet?
No, but she’ll definitely accept the position. They’re the culprits of the mental shutdowns she’s been investigating, after all… Chasing them would be the highest honor for her. She would never refuse.
Okay… but you realize you just told me all the pieces were in place, and then you said she hasn’t accepted yet?
R-Right…
Just do what I tell you. It’s my plan, so don’t gently caress it up.
Isn’t a lot of it the brat’s plan, though?
As I said, my plan. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go campaign.

I never pointed this out in the original game because it was a spoiler, but yes, the man giving the speech outside here is clearly Shido.

Is that guy ever gonna shut up?
He’s probably not gonna stick around for much longer, it’s almost bedtime for his elderly constituency.

We don’t hear him again for the rest of the scene, so I guess Maaku was right!

She called us, but she’s not here yet…
She must be preoccupied with everything that has been transpiring…
*reading phone* Oh, *gently caress* this!
Huh?

Music: Tension

People are posting that we killed President Okumura!
So it’s begun already…

Ah, yeah, makes sense.
Are you seriously minimizing this?
Minimizing? Oh, lord no. We’re completely hosed. I’m just saying, you guys probably should have seen this coming. He died on a live broadcast during his apology conference. Who else would people blame?
But still…! They were so into us, and now they think we’re murderers so quickly?
None of them know a drat thing! They’re just sittin’ back and trashin’ us with no evidence!
That’s the public for you. We were worried they just saw us as entertainment, after all, and why wouldn’t they? They have no stake in any of this.
And it’s not as if we can do anything to vindicate ourselves…

I’m sorry I’m late. I’m the one who asked you all to make time for me too…
…My condolences. It must be rough.
I’m okay now.

So, did you bring the cops to arrest us now, or are you gonna ambush us later?
Huh? What are you talking about?
Sorry, never mind. Just a little joke.
Oh, okay. I would hope you all know by now that if I wanted to seek revenge for what happened, I wouldn’t involve the police. I would take care of it myself.
…Duly noted.
Anyway, I have a question for all of you. …You all didn’t target the principal, did you?
Huh!?
What…?
I mean, it’s fine if you did. I just hoped you all would have told me if you did something like that.
Not as far as I can recall, no.
That’s… hm.
Why do you ask?
A prosecutor named Niijima-san came to my house yesterday.
……
Interesting. Do you think our Niijima knows her?

I overheard her saying that a calling card was found in the principal’s office. Considering this was right after what happened… It’s got to be Shujin’s.

Oh, I see…
Have you realized something, Makoto?
Yes. I believe… we’ve been set up by a third party to take the fall for these deaths.
I mean, I figured that out before the livestream was even over, but good work, Makoto.
Yes, yes, we all know you’re very smart—
I’m really not, this is 2 + 2 poo poo.
—but let Makoto explain.
Thank you. This is all moving too quickly, too perfectly. I think the real culprit is framing us for these deaths.

For real!?
That could be…
Then we need to catch them as soon as possible.
Hold a moment. Can we assume we’ve been set up though? We don’t even know their objective.

Dude, Okumura was about to reveal the culprit behind the mental shutdowns. I think that’s enough of a reason for them to take him out.
We should calm down though. From what Haru has told us, the police already suspect the Phantom Thieves… So we can’t afford to act carelessly. We should lie low for a while.
I guess you’re right…
Also, midterms are next week…
Eff that! Futaba, you don’t have exams! Wanna trade places?

…… …Hm?

Sorry, there’s something that’s bothering me. I need to head home and look into it.
I wonder what that’s about. Anyway, we should head home for now. Keep on your best behavior, understood?
You’re not my dad.

After School → Evening

They’re heroes! They would never do that!
I’d be disappointed if they just turned out to be criminals…
It has to be some kind of trick! They would never do that!
…I can’t think of any other explanation. That has to be it!

Anon: yeah… this is terrorism
Anon: Thieves?? Say something!
Anon: dont fukkin murder ppl
Anon: eh, good riddance
Anon: The evidence is all there…

But that’s impossible!

Why are people doubting the Phantom Thieves over what happened to President Okumura? They’d never do such a thing! Isn’t that right?
>I mean, I wouldn’t know
>How can you be so sure, anyway?

Because I’m a sympathetic supporter of theirs. I’ve already made up my mind… No matter what happens, I’m going to support them. Anyway, it seems like everyone’s forgotten all that they’ve done up to this point. That won’t stop me though. I’ll continue cheering them on. Make sure you tell them that! Well, see you later!

I think Mishima is the least of our problems at the moment.

You have to be kidding me! How could they accuse us of that!?

Stock prices are low—it’s almost certain Okumura Foods will be pressured into restructuring their management. The public is watching to see how they handle the issues Mr. Okumura addressed in his press conference.
What’s going to happen to Haru’s company? I’m worried about that too.

Okay, we’re going to do some splurging here. We’ll buy a Black Kogatana, a Black Robe, a Godly Magatama, a Blast Magatama, an Ouija Board, a Frost Magatama, a Hell Magatama, a Five-inch Nail, and a Spirit Sense Mirror (which we emphatically do not need because it’s an accessory we already have two of). That’s going to run us about 40k yen, which, considering our current balance, is a little concerning. We’ll have to save for a while until our next visit to the Metaverse.

You’ve spent over 100000 yen! Your member rank is now Chaos! Now you can purchase all of our Chaos-tier products! You’ve reached our highest member rank, so this is our full lineup. We can’t thank you enough! Your order will arrive soon. We understand your excitement, but we ask for your patience! We hope to see you again soon!

We’ll get Kawakami to make us some coffee.

I wish that someway, somehow…

They call it karakuri, but aren’t they just dolls?

Sure, if you’re a philistine.

Anon: p quick to switch sides lol

The percentage decreases once more.

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I won’t be able to respond for a little while longer.
You don’t need to mind us.
More importantly, are you doing all right?
I’m OK. I’m more worried about the people at the company, to be honest. It seems everyone’s having difficulty with not only clients, but the press as well. They’re even handling the preparations for my father’s funeral. I just feel so guilty that I’m unable to help out at all…
You shouldn’t. Everyone understands this is a trying time for you. And we’re here if anything happens.
I know. I’ll get in touch once things settle down.
>Don’t push yourself.
Thanks. Talk to you later.
Bless that girl, worrying about others even at a time like this…

(Angry Businessman) Why else would they kill him during a press conference?
(Angry Parent) I read somewhere that Okumura raised his daughter alone. Maybe he wasn’t a great manager, but as a parent I feel for him…

Man, they’re sure rehabilitating *his* image quickly…

Murdering someone to make a point is textbook terrorism. Like Shido and that Akechi kid say, the Phantom Thieves are a menace.
……

It has to be a setup! The Phantom Thieves aren’t like that…
They have to endure that harsh training everyday? I feel a bit sorry for them….
I believe in the Phantom Thieves! They wouldn’t do that…
Oh, the gymnast girl? Yeah, she’s changed in a good way.

Anon: Talk about unlikely heroes.
Anon: copycat crime?
Anon: What’s Akechi-kun saying?
Anon: I’m scared to go outside…
Anon: but who else do we have?

Early Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

>Easy, the culprit. Next question.

Wait, how do we even know we got set up to begin with?

>Ryuji
>What the gently caress

They found a calling card in Principal Kobayakawa’s office.
Someone else had to have planted that, obviously.
In the worst case scenario, it’s possible they know our identities.
This is bad, guys.
Yes, our state of affairs is looking quite bleak.

Let’s throw ourselves a big pity party. I’ll get the balloons.

It looks like our only choice now is to find the true culprit. Although, we don’t have any leads…
Dammit, why’s this gotta happen to us…?

Afternoon → After School

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

We’ll just have to keep laying low and wait. Let’s not do anything conspicuous, okay?

I know it’s been tough after what happened to President Okumura and all… But this is the perfect time for smaller changes of heart to restore your reputation. Anyway, here’s the info I have… If true, this one is pretty crazy. Apparently an ex-mercenary who works as an assassin is hiding out in the Shibuya underground.

How can you accept that!? Killing people is not OK! Well, according to the rumors, his name is Yohei Kiritani. I’m seriously scared. I don’t want anything to do with this… I’m leaving this to you, #Millennials!

Thanks, I guess.

Our reputation may have taken a hit after Okumura’s death, but we can still prove our justice in Mementos. We should discuss this with everyone when we have time. Oh, and we have to meet up with Haru before we can go in!

This request from Mishima is actually a relatively clever excuse by the game to prevent us from going into Mementos until Haru can return to the party next week, for those of you who forgot.

(Calm Student) Poor Okumura-san…
They’re murderers! Someone needs to capture them already!
We should never have turned our backs on Akechi-kun. All we can do now is ask him for help…

That’s the spirit!

President Okumura died ‘cause of the Phantom Thieves, right?
I heard they’re behind all the weird poo poo that’s been going on… They tricked us good, huh…
Does that guy not watch the news or something? Way to bring the mood down…
They’re treating us like villains or something… drat it…

I figured as much, but I wasn’t sure what angle I would use when I write it… Do you think the Phantom Thieves are responsible for President Okumura’s death…? I can’t think of any other possibilities… Hmm…

That might be a good idea since we’ve got the school festival coming up after midterms. We have a guest coming to the post-festival party, so it should be a lot of fun.

You’re right. Sorry… I got a little depressed. I bet people will start slandering the Phantom Thieves. The public is so quick to turn on its heroes. It’s extra disappointing for me… I had such high hopes for the Phantom Thieves too.

(Motivated First-Year) The Phantom Thieves did it, right? I really hope that rumor about them going to Shujin isn’t true…
They could be right next to us for all we know!? This school’s too much!

I guess it is better to try to get popular through sports than to act more like those guys.
(Intense Soccer Player) I thought those guys were really something, but… Maybe I had the wrong idea about them. I guess if they really were determined to carry out justice, they wouldn’t hide their faces.

What? You don’t believe me, either? Stop it! Stop looking at me with those accusing eyes!

Ah, sorry… I overreacted. I just got too angry at society talking bad about them like this. The Phantom Thieves must feel so betrayed. Er, and I would know. Because I-I’m a phantom thief.

Why? Oh, right! As a phantom thief, I-I should really consider turning myself in! There has to be a good reason for all this. I really want to believe in them…

(Kind Faculty Member) I know you must be worried, but the police can handle it. Geez, though, it’s been a busy year.
I kind of like busy. There’s lots to talk about, especially with my friends back home.
Maybe you’re right. In ten or so years, all this will become a memory we’d all share.

(Female Student in a Jersey) Why? I know she didn’t win, but she still performed pretty well!
I don’t know the details, but that seems to be what the school is saying.
What? That’s so selfish! They’re just trampling on all of the hard work she put in!
Yeah, I feel sorry for her. She’s put in as much effort as the rest of us… No, even more than us, I’m sure…

(Gentle Male Student) Is it confirmed that the Phantom Thieves did it? I can’t think of anyone else that could, though.
(Refined Male Student) After people called them saviors or even gods, perhaps they let their power get to their heads. When people lacking in character or education gain power, it always leads to tragedy.

(Bothered Student) I should be able to get a recommendation as long as my grades don’t slip… Not too sure about getting accepted by any colleges though.

While I’m here, it’s Friday, so I buy out the school store’s selection of special breads. I only mention this in case Sakai wants one later, or something.

(Kichijoji-Native Boy) I heard there’s a manga artist who wants to make something based on the Phantom Thieves.
Huh? Really? Where’d you hear that?
I guess the guy’s a regular at one of the bars in Harmony Alley. I heard it from my dad.

(Modest Housewife) You need to relax. I’m sure the company will be fine. I mean, I’m sure there’ll be massive downsizing, not to mention demotions…

So, not fine, is what you’re saying.

But… My hubbers JUST got promoted! drat you, Phantom Thieves!

I asked the police and that guy in the black suit I talked to the other day, but no one knows… Someone… Someone please tell me. What’s… What’s my name…?

Stylish Male Student) You think so? There were people who committed suicide because of that guy. Don’t they deserve your pity? Talk about double standards.
…Even so, there has to have been a better way…

We’ll be hanging with Maruki today. This was not actually my initial plan in the spreadsheet, but the rain very rudely prevented the event I wanted from being available, so I had to make an impromptu substitution in the recording.

Can I talk to you about this theory I’ve come up with?

Haha! I’m so glad to hear that. Come on in, take a seat. Tell me the details.

Wait, what details am I telling you? It’s your theory!

Music: Ideal and the Real

Not! I had you going there, didn’t I?

Uhh… sure, whatever you say. Excellent prank there, bro.

So, I recently found this delicious-looking buffet. It’s apparently very well-regarded, has all sorts of cuisines… Well, thanks to your input, I’m making some real progress on my paper. I’d like to take you to that buffet, as my way of thanking you. How does that sound?

Well, that settles it, then! We should head over there now, before they get too busy.

Music: My Homie

No holding back—eat as much as you please!

Although… Maybe I went a bit overboard for my first trip? Hahaha… Oh, right! Sorry, would you mind if I asked you about something before we eat? It’s about my paper…

Maruki seems to recognize this “Man Called Shibusawa.” I guess Kasumi’s not the only one getting some of that weird nomenclature.

What are you doing here?

Would you really refer to a hotel buffet as a “restaurant”?

…Oh? And who might this be?
*sweating* Oh, he’s, uhhh… how do I put it?

A… deal? Not over anything shady, is it?

I understand why you’d think that. I did phrase it in about the sketchiest way possible.

Nice to meet you. I’m Shibusawa.
Shibusawa was one of my colleagues back in college. He’s the one who recommended I pursue a counseling career.
And I hear it’s been doing you some good, too. I catch wind of your goings-on every so often. Honestly, it’s a big relief. You have so much more compassion than most, but you can also be a bit too carefree.
You don’t have to mention that part—not that I can refute it…
But anyway! Tell me more about how you’ve been—fill me in on this guy too!
Oh, uh, but aren’t you here with others? What about them?
Eh, it’s fine—we just happened to swing by here. They won’t mind my being away for a bit. And do you think you two are really gonna be able to tackle all that food on your own?
*sweating* What? Oh… Right.

And that’s where you’re counseling now?
Yeah. But only part-time.
So what are you two doing out at a place like this? This isn’t some kind of private counseling session, right?
He’s, well… He’s been giving me a hand with my research. I just brought him here as a thank-you for all his help.

(to Maaku) I had meant to mention this earlier, but… my paper is finally almost finished.

Paper? The one you were doing research for… You mean you’re still…?
Yep… I’m still at it. Even after all of what went down. You remember what I told you? That I’d finish this paper no matter how long it took me.

Hahaha! You blow my mind sometimes! I swear, you’ve gotta be the most stubborn man in the world!
Is that supposed to be a compliment?

Oh, seriously? I’d be more than happy to review it for you. I mean, I did perform all the peer reviews for your publications in college!
Huh? Really!?
Of course, man, why not? In fact, that’s it—this is now officially a celebration! The meal’s on me today!
Oh, I couldn’t do that. I’m supposed to be treating Hamiru-kun today…
Oh, don’t worry so much. Don’t you wanna congratulate him too, Hamiru-kun?

See, you heard the man. He agrees with me!

Oh, don’t sweat the details! C’mon, let’s go for a second round. We’ve gotta hit up the meat section! And the vegetables. And the beans!

Yeah… Maaan, am I gonna get an earful for piling on the pounds.

My girlfriend— Well, my fiancée to be more exact. I’m getting married soon.
Ah, I see…

Yep, married! Now you’re the only one left from school who’s still flying solo.
……

*looks over at Maaku*

…… You were going to ask about Rumi, right? Don’t worry, it’s fine.

It’s okay, there’s no need. Rumi was my girlfriend back when I was still a student.

It’s just that… I don’t feel ready to enter another relationship of that sort right now.

*sweating* No, no, it’s my bad for bringing it up in the first place. Why don’t we wrap things up here?

Hey, Hamiru-kun. Keep an eye on this guy for me, all right? I mean, it’s pretty rare to see him open up to someone like he has with you.
You’re talking about me like I’m some sullen kid…

Thank you so much for helping someone like me make their dream come true, Hamiru-kun.
I can sense Maruki’s intense trust in me…

Don’t forget to send me that paper, okay? I’m seriously going to review it for you.
Haha, I won’t. I’ll be in touch soon.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I was supposed to treat you out today, huh? Sorry things didn’t go as planned.

Well… maybe it’s because he knows I’m a little careless, though.

Running into Shibusawa was quite a coincidence, but a very lucky one. He was the best in the department when it came to peer reviews.

Well, see you later.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 20, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Maybe you’re right. In ten or so years, all this will becoem a memory we’d all share.
Typo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Arist posted:

Yes. I believe… we’ve been set up by a third party to take the fall for these deaths.
I mean, I figured that out before the livestream was even over, but good work, Makoto.

To be fair to the Phantom Thieves, I don't think there's anything that indicates Okumura's death couldn't have been their fault until they learn about the fake calling card. Haru brings up that he has a history of heart issues, and unlike the previous four incidents, they didn't stick around to see the Shadow actually leave the Palace.

I mean it's the obvious conclusion even if you discount all the stuff that is only known to the player, but being 95% sure you didn't murder a guy isn't exactly enough to be confident.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arist posted:

Oh, okay. I would hope you all know by now that if I wanted to seek revenge for what happened, I wouldn’t involve the police. I would take care of it myself.

However bad the relationship between her and her father had gotten, Haru not showing any resentment to these people that promised her the moon and left her an orphan never sat well.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Arbite posted:

However bad the relationship between her and her father had gotten, Haru not showing any resentment to these people that promised her the moon and left her an orphan never sat well.

Wait until they meet the guy who actually pulled the trigger!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

Yeah I always felt that was weird. Like, I'm not saying she should have turned on us or anything, I like her character, but we told her that everything would be fine based on (not counting sidequests) 4 whole cases (and one of those is Futaba, whose whole case was really weird seeing how she was her own treasure and her shadow self merged with her to be her Persona?) and then her dad ended up dead. She should at least be highly suspect of us for a while instead of just going "You didn't kill the principal too, did you?" and getting a no and a conspiracy from Makoto, and then buying all in again.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think it's all that weird. The Phantom Thieves were willing to risk their lives for her, a complete stranger who had been hostile to them when they first met, and did everything they could to keep her in the loop. She was with them and saw their reaction when Okumura died.

She might have reason to believe they were fuckups who had no idea what they were doing, but she blames herself as much as the Phantom Thieves, because she thinks she dragged them into her mess. Once she believes you didn't target the principal, she has no reason to believe that he and Okumura weren't killed by the same person, and then she stops blaming herself and you, and blames Shido instead. Though yeah, she buys that a bit too easily, and they really should have dwelled on the principal's death for more than five seconds, especially considering that you actually do have the alibi of being in Hawaii with her when it happened.

Like, yes, she is coping unreasonably well with everything and takes a measured and rational approach that you wouldn't expect from a sheltered, demure teenager, but the whole point of the post-Okumura arc is showcasing Haru's immense emotional fortitude in spite of her appearance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 154: 10/14-10/15: Military Helicopter Mom

After School → Evening

Yeah, well, don’t believe the news. They lie about everything.
Good grief… There was video and everything, man!
Deepfake. That guy’s probably not even dead.

*ALLEGED* death!

It seems extremely likely that #Millennials was involved in the incident with Mr. Okumura. We’ve received reports that police are investigating them under suspicion of attempted murder.

I mean, it wasn’t really an “attempt” now, was it?

They’re blaming it on us. Everyone’s changed their minds about us so quickly…

We’ll get Kawakami to make us some curry.

(Burly Officer) Right, I’m a police officer. Come on, let’s get you home.
The po-po-police are here! And now, I’mma call over th’ pershon you wanna meet…
Okay okay, I’ll call for help. You just stay put.

(Innocent Grade Schooler) Everyone’s saying that. Even my cram school teacher says the Phantom Thieves are bad guys.
Really? Man, I never should have thought they were cool. I feel so dumb now!
Akechi is totally cooler than them. I hope he can catch the bad guys.

(Reserved College Student) (still missing) Are you talking about the conference? I dunno if they had to be so harsh. He was trying to apologize… I guess what that Akechi dude’s been saying is true after all.

I wonder if the Okumura empire is over now without him at the helm.
(Elderly Office Worker) Many people sympathize with him. Their stock price hit rock-bottom, but it has since rebounded.
So then he was a sacrificial lamb for their business… What a world we live in.

(Sullen Office Worker) Yeah, that president just collapsed all of a sudden. Was it because of stress?
Nah, those phantom thieves must have done something. I heard they tortured and drugged him.
So they’re a dangerous group after all… It seems like there might be other victims too.

(Cat) *sad meow*
He was just trying to apologize, but they punished him anyway… Are the Phantom Thieves pissed off? Do they not accept apologies?

Was he tryin’ to stop me through suicide or something? Heh, looks like he doesn’t have the guts. Well, whatever. That guy’ll disappear soon enough. Then, it’ll just be me in this body. Heh heh.

(Rural Young Man) You talkin’ about Bangarang? I bet the whole company’s goin’ under. That CEO’s face was… terrifyin’. Those Phantom Thieves are ruthless.

(Veteran Station Attendant) It’s a reflection of how society feels—probably because of that press conference…
Well, it’s times like these we need to be a source of inspiration!
Every once in a while you actually say something smart. If anything, we want our guests to feel safe.

Were the Phantom Thieves behind it? I hear there was a calling card…
(Tired Housewife) But how would they do that? How is it even possible…?
In any case, I’m going to make sure my boy stays out of it! You’d better watch your boy, too!

(Sake Reporter) *hiccup* drat right. You don’t need a whole lotta money. You can hang out in this alley with just 1,000 yen and still have one hell of a good time!
Yessir, this alley is truly a place for cheap drinks and cheap drunks! But don’t get too drunk now. If you drink any more than that, you’ll be the next one to die.
*chuckle* At least I’d die happy! poo poo, there better be drinks where I’m headed!

People say the Phantom Thieves did it, but… they’re not like that… are they?

(Charismatic Manager) Yeah, she did, but at least she tried on a bunch of clothes. Oh well, that’s the way it goes.
Must be ‘cause we’re too expensive. But then again, you put a lotta thought into selecting stuff.
Well, customers will only buy something if it’s within their price range. That’s why it feels so good when they return to purchase it.

My heart can’t be stolen by the Phantom Thieves… It already belongs to you.
(Innocent-Looking Woman) Aww, thank you. It’d be nice to visit the Skytree at night for our next date… Oh, and how much was today’s date…?
8 hours, plus the extension comes out to 51,000 yen. Thank you as always.
And as soon as the bill is paid, we’re right back to being strangers… Oh, sorry… That just slipped out. Don’t worry. I understand the situation…

Ha, the paid girlfriend is herself spending all her money on a paid boyfriend. That’s a fun twist.

Things are still awkward between us and Mishima, I see.

Running the Phan-Site isn’t the easiest job, you know. Anyway, I’ll talk to you later.

Mishima is unfortunately not available, but whether that’s due to not having completed enough of his requests or even just potentially the ongoing plot is unknown. What I do know is we were supposed to hang out with him tonight, and while we can substitute this one, Mishima apparently has a minimum of three days in between each of his events that will prevent us from enacting the spreadsheet plan further down the line. So, I think we’re unfortunately gonna have to abandon the spreadsheet, at least for our night Confidants, though I’ll try to get as many of them as close to maxed out as I can. Under less pressing circumstances, I’d just leave Mishima’s Confidant for the December deadline, but as I mentioned earlier, he’s not available that month until Shido’s Treasure is stolen.

Also: I was right about some Confidants having mandatory cooldown periods after rank ups, hell yeah.

(Bored-Looking Young Man) What? Phantom Thieves? What are you talking about?
Those popular and glamorous Phantom Thieves are recruiting! If you take this class…
(Bored Young Man) (yes, it changes for some reason) Class? You’re kidding. Those guys are criminals. I want nothing to do with those creeps.
Gah, this Phantom Thieves fad fizzled out too fast! In a way, it’s kinda funny.

Music: Crossroads

I don’t really mind it, but keep yourself in check, okay?

The public blames the Phantom Thieves for both incidents, but something doesn’t add up… Maybe you’re just rubbing off on me. But I guess a journalist’s gotta question everything.

Okay… Sit down.

Devil Rank 7.5: Part 119

All my connections who knew where Kayo was are gone, thanks to my chief and my publisher…
……
…Well, say something.

…You okay? You look exhausted.
That obvious, huh? All these all-nighters have me pretty worn down.

At this rate, you’re going to work yourself to death.

That’s the chief’s goal! Not like I have any other options, given this quota.

It’s a race to see whether I can find Kayo before he crushes me…

I know you’re desperate to find Kayo, but shouldn’t you do something about the chief first?
There’s nothing that can be done. The guy’s pure loving evil, and the higher-ups like him, probably because he’s pure loving evil. I have no recourse. It’s over.
You’re right, he didn’t seem likely to change his mind… But the way things are going, you can’t continue your investigation… and also, you’re probably going to die from overwork…

What do you think, kid?
Ohya’s going to get crushed under the weight of her quota if the situation doesn’t change… I need to do something about the chief and help her…
Ughhh, I’m gonna die…

Hey, what’s the chief’s name?
Huh? Why do you wanna know?
I’m an aspiring petty tyrant myself and I admire him.
That’s a bad reason.
Only because it’s a lie. It’s none of your business, just tell me.
Eh, whatever. His name is Shinpei Honjo. Maybe if you kill him I’ll be free… Er, just to be clear, I am *not* soliciting a minor to do a contract killing for me. You’re not a cop, right?
No.
Good.

I hope it’s just me overthinking things, but… he’s seen your face, you know. Don’t go trying anything heroic.
She’s saying this for your own good. Got it, kid?
I wonder where Kayo is… Sorry, but I don’t feel like getting any info from you today… Thanks for coming all the way out here though. I’ll see you around…

Can you really afford to ignore my help right now?
That’ll be a problem for Hungover Me.

I need to free Ohya from her chief’s oppressive demands…

Admin: No harassment, please!

Poor Mishima. It’s like trying to fight the tides.

Early Morning

I guess Akechi was right after all…
No, I still believe in the Phantom Thieves!
They’re murderers, right? Hurry up and arrest them!
How much longer are the police going to let them run loose?

Anon: Hurry and arrest them
Anon: Could still be coincidence.
Anon: copycat crime?
Anon: lol. regret backin em yet?
Anon: What’s Akechi-kun saying?

(Third-Year Girl) It must be tough, organizing the funeral for a bigwig CEO. Okumura-san is usually pretty quiet. Do you think she’s okay? Hard to believe the dad of such a nice girl could be so evil…
I didn’t expect this from the Phantom Thieves… That was a full-blown public execution…

Early Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Evergreen.

They’re just calling us a bunch of murderers.
All the celebrities who supported us are being criticized now too.
It’s all gone up in flames… People are posting about this stuff everywhere.
I highly doubt that anyone who supported us did so honestly. There must have been many who simply went with the winning side.
I get mixed feelings about this when you put it that way.
It does make me rethink a lot of things…

>Eh, we were doomed to fall eventually. Maybe not this quickly and abruptly, but we had our five minutes of fame. Now we get to live as has-beens.
You’re accepting this way too quickly! We gotta do something!
We don’t have any leads though. We need to get through exams and then figure out our next move.

Ugh, there’s no way I can focus on exams like this.
Can you ever?

Music: Everyday Days

Hey, Hamiru! You! Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone’s talking to you!?

How many times do I have to teach you this lesson, old man!?

(Female Student) Whoa, that was an epic dodge!
(Male Student) I can’t believe he dodged Ushimaru’s throw… Is he a ninja?
Tch… Well, whatever. Moving on.
Ooh, you’ve got the entire class’s attention! Your Charm has definitely increased.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Now you can play our Expert Course. People get really into baseball around this time of the year… By the way, have you noticed the occasional slow balls…? They seem to be implemented starting from the Expert Course. You better stay focused…!

(Lazy Dog) *whine*
(Gentle-Looking Mother) You see… Kotaro says that he’s really hurting right now. We better have the vet take a look at him.

The world was crazy to treat them like heroes!
(Talkative Old Man) Come on, calm down. The police will catch them.
(Kind Old Woman) *sigh* But why did this happen out of nowhere? They were helping people…

(DJ) Did you see that press conference? It was a little disturbing… We’re seeing people’s reactions on our show, too. There’s a lot of criticism on the Phantom Thieves.
See? I told you we didn’t know diddly-squat about them.

(Young Rocker) It’s finally happening… My rock n’ roll legend is about to begin!
Not quite. We had to drop the Phantom Thieves feature after the stunt they pulled. You, on the other hand, would make for a perfect entertainer.
No way, that ain’t rock n’ roll! You gotta be kidding me—I’m a rock star! Get outta my face!

Maybe “entertainer” is getting mistranslated here because I legitimately have no idea why Young Rocker is objecting to this deal. Maybe he doesn’t want just, like, a gig on television and instead wants to get signed by a label? I dunno. I know some thread regulars can read Japanese and have been informing me of weird differences in the English script occasionally (usually when I wonder about poo poo just like this), but those people are generally working off videos of the Japanese version and there’s usually no one recording these random one-off conversations. For that reason, I’m going to openly ask them to not even bother looking for this line in Japanese. I’m the only one who cares about these lines, and I doubt it’s even available for that many in-game days in the first place. Spend your time on something more interesting.

The malfeasance of my apostles, the Phantom Thieves… Is the “Apollo Wave” weakening…? Furthermore, am I even truly the Sun God…?
(Man with Clear Eyes) What are you saying, Sun God!? You are the savior of the world!

(Young Cameraman) We’re going to start bashing the Phantom Thieves, even though we lack any credible evidence?
Yes. Our viewers quickly forget the past. As long as we properly incite them at the start, they’ll be easy to influence later.

Someone on the writing staff watched Network the night before they had to churn out these lines, I see.

(Young-Looking Woman) He had it coming after lying to everyone like that. I wonder if that’ll happen to me, too…
Lying about your age isn’t that big of a deal. Apologize, and you should be fine. This poor man. Killing him was just too much.

One girl I know got really scared. She made me stay by her side, all day and all night.
(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) Are you serious!?
It must’ve been really tough for you though. Your phone must have been ringing nonstop.
Y-Yeah… It got really annoying, having my phone ring all the time… Haha.

(Muhen) Well, the situation might be tough for them now, but I hope they find their own solution. Like free jazz, which was newly born out of structured performances like bebop.
Bebop was ad-libbing, right? It reached limits in its predictability…
Right. But reaching certain limits doesn’t mean it’s lost all meaning. One might see and bear new ways of thinking from it… I look forward to seeing what they do next. Don’t you?

It’d be great if all these rumors about the Phantom Thieves would knock Kichijoji off the “best cities” list.
(Trendsetting Mom) Would you please stop talking about the Phantom Thieves? They’re a bad influence on Mami-chan! Seriously, you have to watch what you say! One of my mom friends might overhear you!
Okay, okay, I get it. Stop screaming at me already. Sheesh…
(Bobbed-Hair Girl) Kitchy-Joe-Gee is boring anyway. I wanna play with my friends from my old school.

Is the person next to you someone that you can really trust? Replace all your anxiety with assured confidence by signing up for our security guarantee plan!

The Phantom Thieves don’t want to better the world. They want to tyrannize people with fear.
(Sharp Lawyer) How can you say that as a lawyer? You’re saying they’re guilty without having any proof? But if there is proof, the police will find it. Their investigation team just added a star player.

(Bespectacled Taxi Driver) Quite a few of my fares were pretty angry today. They feel betrayed by the Phantom Thieves.
What are the police and government doing? Those guys need to be arrested, ASAP.
I heard Kasumigaseki’s quite abuzz with this country’s higher-ups scrambling to handle this problem.

The Phantom Thieves did that, right? And I don’t think I can eat at Big Bang Burger any time soon…
(Fast-Talking Man) Yeah. It does seem like the Phantom Thieves took it too far.
Wha—? But it was guys like you who fanned the flames and made it into a witch hunt!

(Plump Man) That was traumatizing. It was deleted right after, though.
Even the phantom thief sites were horrified. They all say there had to be some other way.
Oh, that one site’s comments section is really bad. The people defending them are so creepy…

Just had a sudden intrusive thought that went something like “How would the Something Awful forums react to the Phantom Thieves?” and now I’d like to kill myself, thanks.

(Busy-Looking Young Man) I’ve got no time for that! Data is everything in trading! I need to hunt for information! Thanks to my efforts, I sold off the stocks that depreciated because of the Phantom Thieves!
I wish you’d get a normal job… You know we already reserved the wedding venue, right?

Too easy.

Hey, Shinya. Kind of surprised your generic pre-Confidant dialogue hasn’t updated considering all the everything going on.

Can I bother you?

I mean, I suppose you *can*… Oh, wait, I see what you’re saying. Sure, go ahead.

Yeah, then… let’s go… somewhere quiet.

Tower Rank 7: Part 133

But my mom told them that it was the kid’s own fault for having his money taken… She just told them to leave without hearing what they had to say.

drat, your mom’s hardcore on that Ayn Rand poo poo, huh?
I don’t know what that means, but… something’s wrong with her…

The other day she called my school to complain that the cost of lunch is too high. I begged her not to do it, but she said it’s for my own good… I doubt it was really ‘cause of me though.

Gleefully taking from others while complaining about unfairness whenever things don’t break your way? Looks like my “Shinya’s mom is an Objectivist” thesis is bearing fruit.
I’m gonna get made fun of again when people find out… I told her that, but she just said: “Once you stop fighting, you lose,” and, “Those who complain, win.” She was never like this before… She never cared about winning or losing…

Hamiru-san, I—!

M-Mom!?

(Shinya’s Mother) I knew it…
Wh-What?

You’ve been acting strange lately. Just as I suspected, someone’s been filling your head with nonsense. Constantly talking back to me… I knew someone new must have come into the picture. So? Are you the one who’s been such a bad influence on my Shinya?

Huh? Listen, lady, I’m a bad influence on literally millions of people, but I’m still probably the closest thing to a positive role model your son has. Especially if the stuff I’ve been hearing about you is true…
I don’t care about this “role model” crap! Children should obey their parents!

But he doesn’t! I want my obedient Shinya back!
*sweating*
S-Stop it…!
Will you take responsibility if my Shinya turns into a juvenile delinquent? All that time and money I spent on him, wasted! What are you going to do about THAT, huh?

Lady, you’re talking about your son like he’s a thing.

M-Mom! Hamiru-san is…
Hamiru-san, hm? I’m going to remember you. You’re a high schooler, right? Hm, I may just have to tell your school… …One of their students is stalking my son.

Oh, okay, we’re jumping straight to accusing me of being a pedophile? Is that it?
Why else would you be hanging around an elementary schooler so frequently?
Honestly, fair, I don’t have a great answer to that.

Stop it… Mom…
Come on, Shinya, we’re going home!

Just cut the kid a break, okay? He’s got his own feelings.
No he doesn’t, he’s a child! Stay out of this or I’ll call the police!
(trying his best to sound ominous) That wouldn’t be good.

Hmph. Then stay away from him.

Dammit, she didn’t pick up on it…

Now let’s go!

But…
Shinya… You ARE Shinya, aren’t you!?
Y-Yes.

One last question, ma’am: The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged?
Hm, tough question. I think I have to side with the latter. I read it recently and it changed my life. I even have the John Galt speech memorized back-to-front! But honestly, I think my personal favorite of hers is actually Anthem, not too many people have read that one and it’s really quite—
Oh, wow, she’s *deep* in it…
Ahem. Anyway, let’s go, Shinya.

Oh god, now I have to be alone with my thoughts…

Shinya! Please help me.

I just wanted to say, I’m really sorry about earlier!

Crap, I gotta go… I don’t like the person my mom’s turned into. She won’t listen to anything I say… That’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about today… Um, do you think the Phantom Thieves can turn my mom back into her old self…?
Shinya appears to be on the verge of tears…

I’m sure they can, but are you positive about this? I know you have a lot of faith in the Phantom Thieves, but they’re currently catching heat for killing a guy.
There’s no way they did that… No way… I’m sure they’re innocent… So please tell the Phantom Thieves to change my mom back to how she used to be…
Don’t worry. They’ll help. Just tell me your mom’s name and I’ll pass on the message.

Her name? It’s Hanae… Hanae Oda…

I gotta go, but let’s play again sometime… Um, and please don’t hate me…

I feel Shinya’s brotherly affection…

I should discuss this with everyone…

And we’re gonna do it by changin’ his mom’s heart? …I bet that was a real tough decision to make.
I mean, he’s only in elementary school, right? This is a lot for a little kid to be dealing with…
You’re right… We should try to help him as soon as possible. As for the calling card, let’s have him deliver it himself.
So I guess this counts as a unanimous decision?

What, are you side-eyeing us for doing this while Haru is absent?
I’m just saying, we’re not all here. We could just wait to accept this o—
The unanimous thing is basically a formality anyway. We’ve failed to reach a consensus all of one time, and there were only like two people in favor that time. And one of them was you! Plus, we haven’t forgotten when you went rogue with Haru and started unilaterally completing requests, so settle down there, sport.
……
Don’t look at me like that. Look, if it bothers you that much, I’ll text her right now. *dictating into phone* “Hey… Haru… Gonna… Change… Shinya’s… Mom’s… Heart… Any… Objections?” …Now we just wait for her to—
*ding!*
Huh, that was fast.
What’d she say?
Apologies for the delay. I’m very busy planning the funeral.
You know, my father’s funeral.
For my father, who is dead.
Did you forget?
Anyway, I don’t know who this Shinya person is.
Goodbye for now.
She said it’s fine.
You know we can hear your phone’s text-to-speech, right?
Too bad! She seemed kind of pissed off in that text chain for some reason and I’m afraid that if I contact her again she’ll *actually* kill me! If Haru has any objections, she’d better bring them up when we go into Mementos! Meeting adjourned!

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 27, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Isn't Shinya like the only Confidant you have a group meeting for the 'gotta do this request to progress the link' event? Kinda weird.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I know you’re desperate to f ind Kayo, but shouldn’t you do something about the chief first?

Typo

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
I felt that this section was weird because of how quickly public opinion shifted. Only a few NPCs have considered the possibility that the shady Okumura would be silenced by his shady connections after he got a change of heart so that they wouldn't be exposed.

My best explanation is that Shido and Akechi are tipping the scales via the former's influence and the latter's ability to enter the Mementos.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

I felt that this section was weird because of how quickly public opinion shifted. Only a few NPCs have considered the possibility that the shady Okumura would be silenced by his shady connections after he got a change of heart so that they wouldn't be exposed.

My best explanation is that Shido and Akechi are tipping the scales via the former's influence and the latter's ability to enter the Mementos.

Not that surprising really, Phantom Thieves fever has been going on for about half a year at this point and each time their target has been getting grander. Doesn't take a big leap to go 'well their target might not get much bigger, but the confessions might get... flashier.'

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also there was never anything public linking the mental shutdowns to an organized conspiracy, or even having a culprit at all. Okumura got shut off before he could confess to being involved with anything outside of his standard C-suite scumbaggery. No one has any reason to assume that it is actually the work of a shadowy organization with the same powers as the Phantom Thieves but using them for evil.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

Just had a sudden intrusive thought that went something like “How would the Something Awful forums react to the Phantom Thieves?” and now I’d like to kill myself, thanks.

watch shido start a loving war

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Maybe “entertainer” is getting mistranslated here because I legitimately have no idea why Young Rocker is objecting to this deal. Maybe he doesn’t want just, like, a gig on television and instead wants to get signed by a label? I dunno. I know some thread regulars can read Japanese and have been informing me of weird differences in the English script occasionally (usually when I wonder about poo poo just like this), but those people are generally working off videos of the Japanese version and there’s usually no one recording these random one-off conversations. For that reason, I’m going to openly ask them to not even bother looking for this line in Japanese. I’m the only one who cares about these lines, and I doubt it’s even available for that many in-game days in the first place. Spend your time on something more interesting.

Yeah, the time I spent on the taxi driver one convinced me that people/people doing VLPs just do not stop to talk to the random street guys (especially multiple times per playthrough to keep up with changing dialogue) and it would be less time-consuming for me to (hypothetically) get the game in Japanese and play to that point myself. I got lucky with the ‘more like Shu-JAIL’ kid early on but I presume the player stopped finding those interactions worthwhile pretty quickly.

I’m going to baselessly assume the scout should be implying something like ‘you’d be decent filler but we won’t be asking you back again’.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

watch shido start a loving war

Okumura death video with Yakety Sax on top immediately released

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 155: 10/15-10/16: Slippin’ Isshiki

After School → Evening

I guess all the praise they got before doesn’t amount to much now…

Huh? Why do you suddenly care about the Phantom Thieves?
I don’t. Shut up.

Wait, weren’t we just in the attic? Why did we step out again?

Oh boy, I sure do enjoy taking my daily evening constitutional.
I don’t think that means “taking a walk” anymore.
Well, good, because that’s not how I was using it.

After the press conference was broadcast, people are now calling them “criminals” and “murderers.” On the street, people have also been expressing their concerns and fears about the Phantom Thieves.
Dammit! How could they… How can people just hate us like that so suddenly!?

I’ll let you know once I have a little more time. Until then, our battles will have to wait.

Darn.

I can’t see my fortune clearly, but I can see yours…

We need points with Shinya at the moment.

And we have enough.

Music: Layer Cake

Well, it’ll make my job easier if the cops have their attention elsewhere, y’know? So, whaddya want today?

I wanna settle things with Tsuda. Will you come with me as a witness? I’ll do my best to protect you. But… I can’t guarantee your safety. …You can say no.
Should I go with Iwai to meet with Tsuda as his witness?

It’s gonna be right under the girder bridge. It’s close by, so follow me.

Hanged Man Rank 7.5: Part 136

Hey, Iwai. Hey, random kid that was in Iwai’s shop. So, I’m just going to assume you know everything?
That’s right.
Figures. Should have realized sooner that brat was working for you.
This isn’t about him. Now, I’ll keep my mouth shut about your failed deal if you stay away from my family. Me, Kaoru, and this kid here are off-limits, you hear?
Aww, I’m touched, Iwai.
Shut up.
Even in retirement, you’re sticking to our code, huh? You always were a stickler. Glad to see you haven’t lost your touch, though. If you were still around, I bet I never would’ve gotten duped by those Hong Kong motherfuckers. No, instead I’m stuck with that idiot Masa and his mess.

Hey, kid. Sorry for getting a respectable teen like yourself wrapped up in our bullshit feud.

*pause* Huh? You talking to me?
Who else?
That I came here at all kind of proves your description wrong, buddy.
Well, whatever. I hope dealing with all this yakuza poo poo hasn’t been too much trouble.
Iwai, I think you overreacted. This guy seems pretty chill, honestly.
That’s why I’m worried…
Well, that’s enough dancing around the point. Let’s get down to brass tacks here.

Make me those guns or I’ll loving shoot you.
What…!?
Huh!? Was this an option!? I thought you had all the leverage here, Iwai!
I do! Tsuda, what’re you doing involving a civvie!?
You involved him by bringing him here, you moron! No one gives a gently caress about your drat ethics as a yakuza anymore! Make me the guns fast or I’ll kill you, your son, and this witness of yours. Goodbye.

So, is telling the clan about him not an option anymore?
Nope.
Why not?
For vague and complicated reasons I don’t care to explain to you.
Fair enough.
What you should know is that we’re completely hosed. If he’s willing to go this far, he’s likely to just kill me anyway when he gets the goods. Possibly even you. You should probably stay away from me from now on. As for me… Looks like I’m making those guns. I have to protect Kaoru…

It seems like Iwai’s been painted into a corner… He might end up dead if I don’t do something about Tsuda soon… ……

What’s that guy’s name?
Huh? Well, I guess you should probably know, too. It’s Akimitsu Tsuda. He was a pretty famous martial artist back in the day. If you see him ‘round town, run. Go to the police if you hafta. Just tell them he’s after you.
I appreciate the concern… but no, I’m not going to do that.

…Anyways, we’re done here. Thanks for all you’ve been givin’ me. And… take care of yourself, kid.
I need to help Iwai get out of this terrible situation…

Anon: They must be punished.

Daytime

I don’t care how they do it. Just throw them in the slammer already.
It’s too scary to have murderers on the loose…
I wonder what kind of people the culprits are.
They’re murderers. Don’t give me any of this “justice” crap.

Anon: Hurry and arrest them
Anon: We can’t leave them be
Anon: Bloodthirsty killers!!!
Anon: Pls don’t kill me ;_;

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

>You already are.
>Just kidding, what’s up?

Now that the funeral is over, it feels like a small burden has been lifted from my shoulders.

>Hope you’re doing all right.
I’m fine. I hate having everyone worry over me, though.

How about you? Are you doing OK?

>Barely holding it together.
>But that’s normal.

You sure are strong. I’ll come back, don’t worry. I think I’ll be able to rejoin everyone around when exams end. Umm… Well, see you.
Haru… She’s the one who should be in pain right now, yet she’s still trying to cheer us up…

We’ll get to work once your exams are over.

Yes, only the tip of the iceberg is reported on the news. No one is aware of the truth. Simply put, the psychotic breakdowns are a government conspiracy to destroy humanity. Oh, the Phantom Thieves are part of it, too. In fact, they were hired by the government all along. Ah! But you must not reveal this to anyone. You would only incite mass hysteria.

I will accept the terrible burden you have imposed upon me. May God have mercy on my soul.

Big Bang Burger had been planning to hold a charity event… However, the event has been canceled due to the recent incident.

drat Phantom Thieves! The orphans needed that money!

Things must be pretty chaotic for Haru right now. I’m starting to worry about her.

Oh yeah. I dug up all sorts of dirt… About Kana-chan, that is. Are you free? I wanna talk to you about it.

Come on over to my room then. I’ll tell you there.

Hermit Rank 7: Part 120

The good news is that I found Kana-chan online. The bad news…? You’re gonna want to sit down for this.
Way ahead of you. Lay it on me.

Her parents are seriously addicted to gambling, so instead of sending her to school, they have her model in weird clothes and sell the pictures online.
Sounds like it’s time to kill some people.
……
…No, wait, change their hearts! I remember now! Whew, that was close.
I also figured out from the IP data that Kana-chan actually made a request on the Phan-Site asking us to change their hearts. She didn’t put their names down, but it’s definitely her. I found their names myself though: Kouta and Asami Magario. They’re in the Nav… I want to do this, Maaku. We need to save Kana-chan!
Of course.
I’ll work extra hard to repay the favor!

I can feel a strong bond of trust from Futaba…

Welp, I’ll be counting on you! Let’s save Kana-chan!
I need to help Futaba put an end to this horrible parenting…
…Oh shoot, it’s getting late. Let us adjourn for today!

G-Goodnight.

Daytime → Evening

But I think I’m going to go back to school, starting tomorrow. I’m sorry for worrying all of you until now.
Are you really OK though?
Be sure not to push yourself too hard in this time of grief
No, I actually need to push myself. My mind always wanders if I have nothing to do…
Yeah, I totally get you.
Besides… there’s nothing I can do while I’m at home.
Well, uh… I dunno how to put it, but try not to think about that stuff too much.

>You can count on us, Haru.

Yeah, you don’t have to worry about asking us for anything! We’re all here for you!
Um… To be completely honest… When I ended up alone… I did doubt you all a tiny bit.

Whyyyyyyy is this moment in an unvoiced text conversation and not a story scene?

But it’s so horrible for me to doubt you. I mean, I’m the one who asked you all to do this.
Your father just passed away, Haru. It’s natural to feel a flood of emotion at such events.
Yeah, it’s really hard when you lose someone like that…
But I’m OK now. You’ve all helped me out so much.
Right back at ya!
Thank you. Those words are truly reassuring. Well then, I’ll see all of you at school.
Haru… I’m not surprised she seems down. You should keep her in your thoughts, Maaku.

It’s all the random crap we bought from Tanaka.

There’s curry ingredients today, but we can’t have Kawakami make curry for us…

You wanna help out?

…Because we need to hang out with Sojiro, and he’ll leave if we call her.

I’ll make a snack for you. Futaba said she’s coming too.

Hierophant Rank 8: Part 126

Hmmmmmm… Maybe curry spaghetti! And curry udon! Oh, and curry croquettes, and curry pizza!
You really like curry that much…?

Music: What’s Going On?

Well, I’ll consider it. And what about you, kid? What would you add to the menu?
You know I love that curry. That said, have you considered adding something that isn’t pure carbs? I’m dying here, man.
Looks like the curry’s still a winner. Maybe we don’t need to change the menu after all.
I fear you only heard the first sentence I just spoke. I must stress: *please* feed me something else.

…Leave now, or else I’ll be forced to contact the police. I’m not giving you a penny.

Actually, Sojiro, you might not be aware of this but here in Japan they call it a “yen”!
Quiet, you.

What was that…? Quit loving with me!

Stop it! Sojiro didn’t do anything wrong!
Shut your mouth, brat! It’s your fault I’m in this mess!
Look, Futaba’s my daughter. You may be her uncle, but you have no connection to her anymore. We can take it to court if you really want. Don’t underestimate how hard I’m willing to fight.
What…!?
Not only do you have massive debt, but I heard you failed in your most recent business venture. How do you think the court would respond if they knew how wasteful you were with your money…?
Goddammit…! (to Futaba) This is all your fault, you bitch! You cursed little…

Ah christ, not again…

…You okay there, man?
Yeah, I think I’m fi—uh, actually… ouch! My bones!

What? You were clearly trying to attack my daughter and my… um, employee, and then you missed and fell like a putz.
No, no! This delinquent attacked me! He’s dangerous!
Yep, this is feeling awful familiar…

This café’s finished, you hear me!? I won’t let you get away with this!

Well, I’m hosed. See y’all in prison.
If you run now, they might not catch you! Let’s go pack your bags!
Settle down.

God drat… What a pain in the rear end. Don’t you have enough problems already?
I was just protecting Futaba.
Nobody said you did anything wrong. To be honest, it should’ve been me trying to stop him… Are you okay, Futaba?
Mm-hm… but Uncle said he’s gonna sue…
Don’t worry… No matter what ends up happening to me or this store, I won’t let them lay a finger on you two. I’m your guardian, after all. I have a duty to protect the both of you.

Just don’t do anything like that again, okay? I appreciate the spirit, but it’s not worth the trouble for yourself.

I feel like my bond with Sojiro is growing deeper…

Anyway, I’m done for the day. Take care of closing up for me. Let’s go, Futaba.

I’ll message you later…

Zuh???

>Oh hey, I love big news!
>What do I win?
It’s nothing like that! I looked up my uncle’s name in Mementos! And there was a hit! Would you be mad if I asked for your help?
Why would I be mad?
I dunno, that’s why I asked. Anyway, thanks. My uncle’s name is Youji Isshiki. Let’s go change his heart in Mementos! But… I need a favor from you. Do you think we could take care of this one… just between the two of us? I’m not ready to tell the others about all the stuff that I went through back then… At least, not yet. I really need your help, Maaku! Pleeeeeease!

I need to take care of Futaba’s uncle and help Sojiro…

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 31, 2023

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Hm... all these heavy hitter requests just after we confirmed that people can die from the process. Nope can't see anything dangerous with that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shinya certainly is a devil, alright.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

something that always bugged me about the narrative is how everyone automatically assumed and then accepted that the phantom thieves were behind the murder when there's no evidence linking them to it except when the murder occurred. it could have been caused by any number of things - poisoning because a fellow executive didn't want the confession to go out, another group taking advantage of the opportunity that the press conference presented, so on and so forth. i could understand if there was a public debate about the cause and the phantom murder theory being the most popular (especially if akechi pushed that narrative in an interview), but it seems sloppy that literally everyone jumped to the same conclusion all at once.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I always assumed it was an early showcasing of Yaldabaoth mucking around with the collective consciousness, it's pretty similar to what happens after Shido is defeated and just not as obvious because there's a reasonable explanation for the change in opinion.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, I feel the same way, Kith. The rapid and one-sided change of public opinion doesn't work for me either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If we look at what the game is going for thematically, the populace being incredibly fickle and lacking conviction is the entire point. From this standpoint, it makes sense that they'd turn on the Phantom Thieves once "evidence" comes out that they're "murderers" and the official narrative shifts. And remember, it's not just the Okumura video that does it, it's the calling card planted in the principal's office. That said, I don't think actual people are quite this fickle. People can actually be pretty stubborn about poo poo like this, and can get very entrenched in objectively incorrect or abjectly horrifying ideological positions. From that perspective, yes, I agree that the shift in public attitude to the Phantom Thieves is a little too swift. People would be arguing about this poo poo for weeks if not months.

So, is this plot turn true? No, not really. But for the sake of the story, it makes sense. I buy it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh yeah, it absolutely makes sense that it happened, not arguing that at all. It just happens a little too quickly and conveniently.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I agree from a realism perspective, but also, I'm not sure it'd really be better if it were more realistic here. Like in retrospect or when you're discussing the whole thing on a written LP it sort of stands out that the speed doesn't make sense, but my first time playing through it had a really powerful feel, where you're riding high and feeling like you're getting the hang of things and then suddenly the palace goes wrong and he dies, and the principal dies, and the public is turning against you - all that stuff happening at once really has the feeling of something going suddenly off the rails and I think that'd be undermined if it took longer for opinion to shift. And with a game this long and involved I think it can be really hard to create that kind of feeling so sacrificing some realism to come at it guns blazing makes artistic sense IMO. If you were doing a novelization or something where people experienced it differently, it'd be reasonable to change it for sure.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Also, the baddies have at least one wholely owned TV station that's constantly telling people how they should feel about the Phantom Thieves and I wouldn't be surprised if they've got the phansite opinion tracker on their bottom news ticker.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023
honestly, i can probably buy the fact people are that fickle even in real life. all it takes is something to inconvenience the common person's narrative, even if it's something like murder. then again, maybe i'm just a cynic hack who needs to be lobotomized by playing TWEWY to force myself to have faith in humanity.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kith posted:

something that always bugged me about the narrative is how everyone automatically assumed and then accepted that the phantom thieves were behind the murder when there's no evidence linking them to it except when the murder occurred. it could have been caused by any number of things - poisoning because a fellow executive didn't want the confession to go out, another group taking advantage of the opportunity that the press conference presented, so on and so forth.

Ardeem posted:

Also, the baddies have at least one wholely owned TV station that's constantly telling people how they should feel about the Phantom Thieves and I wouldn't be surprised if they've got the phansite opinion tracker on their bottom news ticker.

Wait a minute! This is just Death Note!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

kvx687 posted:

I always assumed it was an early showcasing of Yaldabaoth mucking around with the collective consciousness, it's pretty similar to what happens after Shido is defeated and just not as obvious because there's a reasonable explanation for the change in opinion.

It’s absolutely this. The public actually applauds Okumura’s death the day it happens. Then, after you have a talk with “Igor”, they’re all pissed off and outraged.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Hm... all these heavy hitter requests just after we confirmed that people can die from the process. Nope can't see anything dangerous with that.
Not that I don't hate your uncle's guts as much as the next guy, but you sure you want him possibly dying under supicious circumstances?
Hm, you raise a good point, not-roomie.
On the other hand, gently caress 'em.

BTW, I finally caught up with this thread after months of not checking and I regret not hopping back on earlier. The adventures of Maaku Hamiru, Sarcastic Dickhead have been a blast. Makoto having to put up with his contrarian ways actually makes me like her more. Also I just happened to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q69DGj0BXSc

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 156: 10/17-10/20: One Hour Ahead Of The Posse (New)

This update covers content from Parts 126-127 of the original LP.

Yeah, I feel you.

Anon: Pls don’t kill me ;_;

Early Morning

At least the school festival’s soon. It’s the thing I’m looking forward to most right now…
(Calm Girl) Yeah, but… Are they still going to hold it? It might get canceled…
Don’t say that! You’re bummin’ me out before the exams… Things are bad enough as is. If they cancel the festival, the students will riot!

She’s so lucky. It’s almost like her test scores don’t matter…
I wonder if they really are from our school…
The teachers are doing a 180 on the honor student…
She’s on the podium! Good for her!

Anon: just turn yourselves in pls
Anon: he had it coming, amirite?
Anon: meh i dun care either way
Anon: They must be punished.
Anon: trash talking feels risky…

Early Morning → Morning

(Frightened Student) More like they’ve jumped off the high-dive into the shallow end! They’re committing PR suicide right now!
You have irreparably broken this metaphor.

Music: Life Goes On

That sounds about right.

This looks tough, but let’s calm down and think it through.

Soccer balls… Didn’t the teacher say that the number of colors used to be different? Do you remember?

Right, it was only one color. But that wouldn’t really grab your eye. Oh yeah, I remember. I think she said that unlike now, soccer games were broadcasted with…

Right. A single-colored ball would be hard to spot in black and white. So they changed the color of the ball to make it easily identifiable on TV.

Anon: well now im interested

Morning

You know they’re murderers, right?

How could she possibly *not* know that?

(Thieves-Loving Student) Hey, sometimes murder is justified, okay!? Besides, I’ve invested way too much in merchandise to give up on this fandom now! The Phantom Thieves don’t own the Phandom, the Phans do!
…What?

Me, in the future!
Do *not* write that down.

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

Morning

Isn’t this insane!? There are murderers among us!

If your reaction to that sentence was to think of an Among Us joke, you’re officially a loving hack. Sorry, but those are the rules. Not me though, I’m pure of heart and would never stoop that low.

(Chatty Female Student) There *is* that one student with the starry eyes who keeps telling people he’s a phantom thief… *shudders* It’s so scary!
Let’s jump him after class and turn him in!

That sounds about right.

That sounds about right.

Anon: I’m scared to go outside…

Morning

…… You did perfectly. I can’t wait to see your score.

(Irritated Student) Yeah, seems like it’s for real this time. Apparently one of our students is a phantom thief.
Seriously?
I read the same thing online. Apparently Public Security is already on the move…

There’s something I want to talk to everyone about. I’ll be at the hideout… I mean, our place.

Morning → Lunchtime

Music: Ideal and the Real

Ah, you’re the third-year Okumura-san, correct? So good to see you. Please, have a seat.

I’m sorry… I did come here because I wanted to, but I’m not exactly adept at saying what’s on my mind.
Oh, that’s perfectly fine. I’m not all that great at chatting with people either.

Oh?
*sweating*

How about some snacks? No need to be modest here.
Thank you—I’m all right, though.

……
*sweating* Ummm… I must be pretty weird, right? I came here for counseling, but I can’t seem to say anything…
Not weird in the least. Just take your time. We’ll go at whatever pace you need. And if you still don’t feel comfortable by the end of our time, well… Just have some tea and head on home for the day.
I do enjoy teatime… Perhaps I’ll feel more relaxed if I think of all this in that way.

Nobody’s going to de-stress if they come in here all worked up like, “I HAVE TO TALK! RIGHT NOW!” Thinking of this as just sneaking away to relax with some tea would probably help you feel more open.
Relaxing with some tea… I do that quite often, but on my own…
Do you find that more relaxing?
The people closest to me in my life… They don’t really feel like people I could sit and enjoy some tea with.

So… was mealtime essentially the same setup as teatime?
…Yes.

I see… I’ve never been to upscale social events, so I’m not sure if I should ask this, but… well… didn’t you ever feel lonely?

Mm… Yes, I think so. If I were given the chance, I would’ve only wanted to spend more time with my family.

Why don’t we call it a day now? Feel free to stop by again, anytime you like.
Oh! Yes, I do apologize. It seems I extended this teatime much longer than I had intended.

Lunchtime → After School

There’s still some time until we meet though, so I am going to go take care of my flowers first. See you later.

Ah, I know. You should go help Haru, Maaku. I’ll let the others know.

What, are you gonna ride the train by yourself?
…Yes.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

The plants haven’t developed a taste for my blood yet…
Huh?
Oh, you’re here Maaku-kun! I was just talking to myself… How embarrassing. *giggle* Anyway, have you come to assist me?

I’m not worried about the garden, in case you were wondering. It’s just… so much has happened to me lately.

Can I help somehow?
…… Well, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to tell you this… It might take a load off my shoulders, after all…

The source of my worries is my father’s company. Dealing with the aftermath has been… difficult… Given how unexpected the accident was, my father didn’t have a will. All of his stocks transferred to me… Which means suddenly, I’m the biggest shareholder in a company of over one thousand employees…

Sounds swanky. Unless… they’re not planning to assassinate you to rid themselves of your iron-fisted control of the company, are they!?
No, nothing like that!
Sorry, I’ve been on a cyberpunk kick lately.
Anyway, it’s a massive responsibility, and I don’t know the first thing about running a company…
Hmm… Sounds tough. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about any of that either, so I’m not sure why you think I can help.
Sorry, that’s not even the actual problem. I’ve been meeting with my father’s officers and lawyers to get up to speed, but I think some of them are just trying to get on my good side so they can gain access to my accounts… I have no idea who to trust…
Oh, that’s easy. They’re all capitalist pigs. Trust no one.
That feels wrong, though… Oh, I’m sorry for ranting on about this.

I feel as though doing so has helped me calm down a bit though. The only people I’ve consulted up to this point have been employees… But I think what I really needed was someone closer to my own age… closer to my own viewpoint. Um, if it isn’t too much trouble, could we speak about this again some other time?

Eh, sure, why not?

In return, I’ll… Hm… What can I do to help you…? I don’t have any unique talents…

Okay, really, don’t worry about i—
Oh! What about gardening? I could use this to help you somehow! I’ve got quite the green thumb, I’ll have you know!
Uh… sure… I guess?

To be honest, this is what I do when I’m alone, to take my mind off of everything that’s happened… ……

Oh! Wait here a moment, I stored some of my vegetables down in the refrigerator in the home economics room…

I grew these right here in these very planters, and harvested them myself not too long ago. There’s not much consistency to their colors or shapes, but…

So… You want me to eat them? I’m not really sure how that helps, but okay, I suppose…
Actually, I have a favor to ask of you. I want to get Sakura-san’s opinion on these. Can I bring my next harvest to your café?
Oh. Well, I don’t see why not.

Thank you. I’m sure Sakura-san will give me his honest opinion. I’ll make sure this next harvest is particularly good. Well then, shall we head over to the hideout?

Congrats on surviving midterms.
*sigh* I think I’m screwed for real this time. I couldn’t concentrate at all…

(Speech from Outside) —we should do good things that the people want… I will do these things! For you!
*crowd going absolutely loving apeshit*

Ugh, again? It’s so drat loud!
More importantly, what’s this you want to talk about?
You said that something was on your mind before, but were you able to figure out what it was?

About that… the Medjed I caught wasn’t the real one.

Huh? Aren’t you the real one though?

Er, I mean, the one I caught isn’t the person who called themselves that after me! I can tell just from reading his code, it’s totally different from anyone who’s used that name before. In fact, I don’t think the new person is a serious hacker at all. Their code was just cut and pasted with no consistency at all. I’d rate their skill as sub-script kiddie, it’s that embarrassing.
Futaba.
Sorry. But it wasn’t anyone from Medjed, that’s for sure.

So someone used the Medjed name to provoke the Phantom Thieves? For what purpose?
Could they have been doing it for fun? It was around the time our group started getting popular, so maybe they wanted in on the hype…
…Wait. What if we have it backwards?
Backwards? “Hype the on in wanted they?”

Music: Disquiet

No, not that. I’m suggesting that they used the status of Medjed to boost the profile of the Phantom Thieves.
Huh? Makoto, are you drunk? That makes no sense!

I actually thought the same as Makoto.

Great, everyone’s been drinking without Maaku…
The reason I think that is because I found similar code to our fake Medjed’s somewhere else… The Phan-Site.
It was Mishima! Of course!
Uh, no, I mean it was tampered with to rig the poll so Okumura placed first.
You’re saying the person who provoked you all and the person who tampered with the site are actually one and the same?
…I get it. They did it to bring attention to us, then set us up with Okumura as a target. They controlled everything there. They set it all up…
So, for the last few months, they’ve been planning to set us up…? And… they succeeded?

This is all hypothetical. We lack any hard evidence…
But if all your deductions happen to be correct… That would mean we’ve been playing into their hand for the past two months or so…
W-We gotta be overthinkin’ things. I mean, we’re talkin’ both the rankings AND Medjed! Everyone made a big deal about it, if this was all set up… Then… what kind of guy did we make an enemy of?
*pause*
…There’s no point in getting anxious over speculation. Regardless, we’ll be falsely charged at this rate, and with murder. We must overcome this.
But, we don’t even know who we’re up against…
Hey… you think we’re fallin’ into another trap, even at this very moment?

Yeah, probably.
No…
Don’t give up already! We need to strike back. We’ll find clues, no matter what.
Looks like we’re the patsies of a far-reaching conspiracy, folks… and not just that, but a murderous one. What is their goal? Only time shall tell. Don’t touch that dial…
Stop it.

After School → Evening

Music: Desire

Hm? You’re recommending *me* for this reassignment, sir? But I’m so inexperienced… Why give it to me?
You proved yourself by reopening the case of that Shujin principal and proving his death had a link to the Phantom Thieves. Don’t sell yourself short. That’s my job.

…I’m honored, sir.
The Phantom Thieves issue is now a national crisis. Expectations are exceedingly high for public prosecutors, as we are the executors of justice. Personnel and planning will be up to you on this case. You will also have the police under your command.

You will oversee the operation yourself. So? Will you accept this task and eradicate the Phantom Thieves?
That’s… a massive responsibility. I won’t let you down, sir!

We’ll have to prepare a higher position for you as well in the event that you succeed. I don’t wish to apply extra pressure on you… But I assume your odds of success are high.

Just don’t gently caress it up, *woman*.

Of course! I will live up to your expectations, no matter what it takes!
That is all then. I expect good results from you.

Music: Days of Sisters

Hi, Sis. Should I warm up dinner for you?
No, it’s okay.
How about a bath?
No need. I just came home to get a change of clothes.
Are you going to stay at work then?
I’ve been entrusted with a very important task.
You look awful though… Aren’t you tired?

Don’t ask me that! I get enough of that poo poo at work! *sigh* Look, I can’t afford to fail here. It’s over for me if I do. I’ll sleep when I’m dead and promoted.

I heard detectives have been coming to your school. That must make it hard to focus on your studies. Don’t worry though. It will all be over soon.
What do you mean?
I’m going to catch the Phantom Thieves myself.
Is that the important task you mentioned?
It’s none of your concern. *leaves*
Oh my god… Sis has her sights set on the Phantom Thieves… and on Shujin Academy in particular…

We’re dead.

Music: Disquiet

Just try to stay calm.
What’s wrong?
Sis told me she’s been entrusted with an important task regarding the Phantom Thieves.
That means…
Yes… The SIU must surely be on the move at this point.

So you’re saying we’re hosed?

Wait, weren’t they already investigating us though?
The police were doing so in secret. This operation is on a much different scale.
Hold on a sec. What’s this SIU thing anyways?
The Special Investigations Unit. An elite team that deals with huge cases like government scandals.
I have heard that name on the news. They make headlines often.

I’m not sure I buy that Yusuke watches the news.

The real insane part is, they haven’t lost a case against a suspect in like fifty years. If they come after you, you’re screwed. They’re the best investigation force in Japan.

Are we going to be arrested…?
Hm, doesn’t this countermeasure seem somewhat extreme?
Right or wrong, I think we’re just too famous at this point. As this is a country governed by law, they can’t afford to ignore us for any longer.
We may be the Phantom Thieves… but this is miserable…
They probably have a pretty narrow suspect profile by now too.

Hey, don’t scare us like that!
It’s OK though. They don’t have any evidence.
Yes, I expect they’re frantically searching for some as we speak.
No way they’re gonna find anything though.
It’s only a matter of time. We have to hurry and do something about this…

Stop spamming the chat! Are you broken?
Ryuji, we resolved to ignore future instances of this until he got it out of his system…
Sorry…

…E-Everything’s going to be fine. Unless they know about the Metaverse, there’s no way they’ll get any info on us.

Moon and sun… I guess it means they’re ready 24/7.

The cause is thought to be discontent with how the government is dealing with #Millennials.

Ha, yeah, that’s typical.

Evidently Mr. Okumura’s death has severely affected the government as well.
I can sympathize. Our approval rating has gone way down, too…

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

They call it karakuri, but aren’t they just dolls?

I thought they were just dolls, but their mechanisms are far more complex than I thought… Now that you know how they work, I’m sure that’s helped you pay better attention to the details?

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 5, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haru what the gently caress happened to your face

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Arist posted:

If your reaction to that sentence was to think of an Among Us joke, you’re officially a loving hack. Sorry, but those are the rules. Not me though, I’m pure of heart and would never stoop that low.
Hey, don't pin this on me, we just got out of the space station Palace!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just wanted to chime in that I really love the original lines you put in here. Maaku must have a truly weary soul by the end of this whole thing.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Arist posted:

(Speech from Outside) —we should do good things that the people want… I will do these things! For you!
*crowd going absolutely loving apeshit*

you can probably replace this with something heinous and nothing will change

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

True, but I find the idea that Shido is just the worst, most inept political campaigner of all time way funnier. Like, he's sub-Ron DeSantis on speechifying, all his policies are completely milquetoast, watered-down nothing, he's got the charisma of a wet sock, etc. He could probably rile up his base by stoking hate, sure, but he's so focused on hiding that aspect of himself that it doesn't even occur to him that people might react positively to it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Arist posted:

True, but I find the idea that Shido is just the worst, most inept political campaigner of all time way funnier. Like, he's sub-Ron DeSantis on speechifying, all his policies are completely milquetoast, watered-down nothing, he's got the charisma of a wet sock, etc. He could probably rile up his base by stoking hate, sure, but he's so focused on hiding that aspect of himself that it doesn't even occur to him that people might react positively to it.

Yeah, Shido is a poo poo politician; the adoration he receives is just Yaldabaoth manipulating the public (which coincidentally mirrors how the media can make a lovely politician into a master statesman). It's most likely a part of the plan: if humanity lines up behind such a lovely leader, does it deserve to be free?