Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol centcom is in Tampa Florida?! wow no wonder those guys suck at their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

For being a pseudo DnD refugee (more of an expat at this point) I have liked the moderation and direction of this thread. Even though I have not been hit for burger posting I also like seeing those probes to help keep myself centered and mindful of what I post. Keep up the good work.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Oglethorpe posted:

false, far right is fish

you say that like it makes it better

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what does going into gaza mean tho? seems like sending in special forces and a couple of columns of vehicles to the fence and then retreating doesnt count.
i guess they are waiting for full engagement.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

fits my needs posted:

what does going into gaza mean tho? seems like sending in special forces and a couple of columns of vehicles to the fence and then retreating doesnt count.

thats what the article I read said. testing the defences.

they compared it to the American strategy in Iraq

which they failed to mention was a losing strategy

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

fits my needs posted:

full invasion

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fits my needs posted:

i'm assuming they will keep us updated on twitter

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

yeah but it usually shows up on telegram first

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
it does look like the egyptians are worried about crowd control

quote:

28m ago (11:20 GMT)
Egypt sets up hospitals, tents for possible influx of wounded from Gaza: Report

Egypt is setting up three field hospitals and triage tents near its border with the Gaza Strip in preparation for a possible influx of wounded Palestinians, The Wall Street Journal has quoted senior Egyptian officials as saying.

The officials also told the publication that Egypt has set up additional security cordons for an existing buffer zone by the border.

Egyptian officials have also discussed limiting the number of Palestinians that Egypt would allow to 100,000 so that authorities could manage them in confined areas. Preparations are also being made to set up tents in Rafah and the city of Sheikh Zuwayed, the officials told the Journal.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

CODChimera posted:

I liked the gulf war when it was on cable, this new all digital reboot sucks!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what is burger posting

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is burger posting

“gee I sure hope this escalation doesn’t end up getting me drafted! I bet this messes up bidens election chances! even funnier if Israel uses a nuke!!!”

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

what is burger posting

posting that largely frames this atrocity as “what does this mean for American electoral politics/the draft/orange man” etc etc

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

what is burger posting

talking about ‘Murica politics and WW3/clancy chat.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

what is burger posting

Centering discussion of the conflict on how it affects America and Americans. Talking about how America is involved in the conflict is fine, talking about how eg the conflict will affect the ‘24 election is burger posting.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

hadji murad posted:

figured I’d add the key

yeah can i get a shrimp tartar with extra tartar and a big mac with no lettuce and extra sauce

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quiggy posted:

moderation seems fine to me outside of brown moses not being perma'd

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jkultra23/status/1717374441817362661?t=i6YZpsJkhxQsVyALk9B9QQ&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ty

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

quiggy posted:

moderation seems fine to me outside of brown moses not being perma'd

if brown moses posts in this thread then I promised to submit a permaban request

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

assemble the ancient runes, call forth the evil one

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Zodium posted:

i would like to hear some feedback on how we’re handling moderation.

you guys are doing pretty well w/ it. I did catch 2 probes 7 hours apart for the same "Duke Iman" post tho when someone quoted me. Prolly was the amount of time i needed to cool off anyway.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Al-Saqr posted:

you guys are doing fantastic so far, no complaints, I give you a Death to Israel out of Death to Israel.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Zodium posted:

i would like to hear some feedback on how we’re handling moderation. we aren’t really coordinating efforts, but i think our strategy so far can be described as using a mix of sixers and curt warnings to shape discourse. my impression is the thread is in a reasonably good place now, given the circumstances. burger posting being more or less contained, no one going on psychotic or tedious rants, posting gore, etc. that’s more or less the goal. if that impression is not correct, please post or send a pm.

additionally, to be clear, though you are welcome to voice disapproval with these goals, we will not be letting up on any of that. however, if there are better ways we can go about it, if our methods are disruptive, if we should probe or warn relatively less or more, communicate more clearly, or need to intensify burger incineration, please post or send a pm.

going forward, and i want to stress here this isn’t something i think is currently happening, but simply a matter of communicating my current thoughts, my main concern is the thread veering into chat and digging up content for the sake of having something to post about as events lock in to whatever trajectory they will take. i don’t know if that will happen, but I think it is the tendency with world event threads that I’m most mindful of and would most like to avoid. once again, feedback on this or other future concerns would be welcomed.

for my money, it’s been difficult to follow this thread so closely, but I’m happy to see all the book posting and discussion of history and context about Palestine, especially from our posters who are from or have roots in the middle east, and particularly the posting and translation of news from regional sources. I’ve learned a lot that I’m very grateful for, and which has substantially helped me sway the people I know, whatever good that may do. thank you.

y’all are doing p good

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is there anyone here who has some insight into the internal mood in israel? are people getting impatient for the ground invasion or are they mostly happy with the bombing? i would imagine that pressure would be mounting with the (piddling) introduction of aid making outright starvation less efficient, but i don't actually know

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

gradenko_2000 posted:

I omitted this part of the discussion, but since you are interested

more from "Armies of Sand"

I will close out to say that this idea of being overreliant on a script and despising improvization is something that has manifested in places outside of Egypt: the Millennium Challenge was so controversial precisely because Gen. Van Riper went "off-script", and the relatively unknown aspect of those wargames was Van Riper feeling like he had to because he was placed under rules so strict that the outcome was practically predetermined if he played by them

Thanks for this. I need to read up on the Millennium Challenge, because it sounds hilarious

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

is there anyone here who has some insight into the internal mood in israel? are people getting impatient for the ground invasion or are they mostly happy with the bombing? i would imagine that pressure would be mounting with the (piddling) introduction of aid making outright starvation less efficient, but i don't actually know

The soldiers are dying from having to much gluten OP. I hope they can find enough gluten free snacks to feel better soon! :smith:

(They want blood of all the Palestinians and Bibi, in that order, and are increasingly growing impatient.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This thread is going very well for this dumb American. It is very informative and i really appreciate the translations, history, books, and foreign sources. I appreciate the perspectives of all our posters from the Arab world. It honestly reminds me of peak LF.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

They're upset that Cheltenham Hitler hasn't killed every last Palestinian yet

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Zodium posted:

i would like to hear some feedback on how we’re handling moderation. we aren’t really coordinating efforts, but i think our strategy so far can be described as using a mix of sixers and curt warnings to shape discourse. my impression is the thread is in a reasonably good place now, given the circumstances. burger posting being more or less contained, no one going on psychotic or tedious rants, posting gore, etc. that’s more or less the goal. if that impression is not correct, please post or send a pm.

additionally, to be clear, though you are welcome to voice disapproval with these goals, we will not be letting up on any of that. however, if there are better ways we can go about it, if our methods are disruptive, if we should probe or warn relatively less or more, communicate more clearly, or need to intensify burger incineration, please post or send a pm.

going forward, and i want to stress here this isn’t something i think is currently happening, but simply a matter of communicating my current thoughts, my main concern is the thread veering into chat and digging up content for the sake of having something to post about as events lock in to whatever trajectory they will take. i don’t know if that will happen, but I think it is the tendency with world event threads that I’m most mindful of and would most like to avoid. once again, feedback on this or other future concerns would be welcomed.

for my money, it’s been difficult to follow this thread so closely, but I’m happy to see all the book posting and discussion of history and context about Palestine, especially from our posters who are from or have roots in the middle east, and particularly the posting and translation of news from regional sources. I’ve learned a lot that I’m very grateful for, and which has substantially helped me sway the people I know, whatever good that may do. thank you.

I think you guys are doing fine

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
the thread moderation has been good, i.m.o.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Zodium posted:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Zodium posted:

i would like to hear some feedback. thank you.

doing great champ

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

V. Illych L. posted:

Everyone here is openly baying for blood, I don't think they can delay much longer without the government collapsing in on itself.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

We are mindful of the sensitivity surrounding this situation, therefore we decided to valorize the genocidaires

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Zodium posted:

feedback seems atypically pleasant for cspam to this so I am going to be contrarian and say you loving suck poo poo. I will not explain why

ComradePeach
Sep 29, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mags posted:

“gee I sure hope this escalation doesn’t end up getting me drafted! I bet this messes up bidens election chances! even funnier if Israel uses a nuke!!!”

Is there anyone posting on these gay dead forums that would actually be young enough to get drafted lol

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

stephenthinkpad posted:

All these talks of US invading/attacking Iran just don't make any sense to me.

Iran can shut down the oil traffic of Persian Gulf, the Houthis can poo poo down the tanker traffic in the gulf of Aden. The gas price can shoot up to 6 bux 7 bux a gal. Senile Biden is not that stupid.

I can see the US bomb some Hezbollah and Houthis targets, maybe even a few Iran drone factories, but not escalate past the point of actual war

Also US attacking Iran is not going to lessen the boiling pressure in the Gaza war. The rest of the world including China and Russia will call US out on it.

Biden and his handlers are that stupid

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ComradePeach posted:

Is there anyone posting on these gay dead forums that would actually be young enough to get drafted lol

i think people aren't quite that ancient here? what's the threshold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Biden and his handlers are that stupid

Meanwhile, somewhere, in another thread: this is what sustainable energy needs. The green genocide.