Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

BioThermo posted:

So we've got two unrelated planes in consecutive sets where the lands themselves are getting restless? This smells like Eldrazi magic :tinfoil:

they said on stream they wanted to complete the cycle of manlands they started in WOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khanstant posted:

The creatures that turn into a land that can transform back into that creature are neat, but there's so much exile removal in standard. Maybe in draft though they'll be scarier.

Most of the ones I can think of specify non-land permanents or are auras so they'd fall off when it stops being a creature, right?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's funny how close the bat God gets to being Baneslayer Angel, while also very clearly being not at an acceptable power level for standard playability.

Frankly it's probably much better than BSA. On paper it doesn't die to Doom Blade and also actually generates card advantage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Most of the ones I can think of specify non-land permanents or are auras so they'd fall off when it stops being a creature, right?

Oh yeah. I suppose you could kill it first in response to a prison card and dodge it. Come to think of it, does that work with any transforming card even if the transform wasn't a land?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Oh yeah. I suppose you could kill it first in response to a prison card and dodge it. Come to think of it, does that work with any transforming card even if the transform wasn't a land?

No. Auras and stuff stay on transforming cards if they remain a valid type.

Some transformations are "Exile and return transformed" though.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Ultima66 posted:

It's funny how close the bat God gets to being Baneslayer Angel, while also very clearly being not at an acceptable power level for standard playability.

Frankly it's probably much better than BSA. On paper it doesn't die to Doom Blade and also actually generates card advantage.

there are other 2 mana black kill spells that aren't doom blade

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Doom Blade was last printed in a standard-legal set in M14, which, as indicated by the 14, was printed in 2013.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uggy posted:

there are other 2 mana black kill spells that aren't doom blade

"doesn't die to doom blade" is a boomer colloquialism for "gives you something on ETB." the implication is that it doesn't have to untap to generate value for you, like baneslayer angel would have to, so the opponent spending a card to kill it means you're up in the exchange in terms of card advantage

bat god actually not dying to doom blade was just an unintentional funny coincidence

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

that MOM backup baneslayer angel didn't see play did it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A very little bit

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Instead nowadays Doom Blade dies to value

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have one in the sideboard in explorer uw control. it could easily be any other flying lifelinking 5-drop

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah it just means "is resistant to removal." The god giving a land that can turn back into the god on death makes it a lot more resilient than BSA.

Though frankly the last time something like this really saw much play in standard at 5 cmc is Blood Baron, which was mostly just a sideboard card and only brought in when your opponent had no good removal for pro black pro white. Bat god is still slowed down a ton by removal spells and vulnerable to exile, so it probably wouldn't be useful even in that era when Blood Baron was played. We've also power crept a lot since then.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

It's no Nykthos but this seems like it'll be trouble.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It costs 7 mana before you can generate mana with it I can't imagine it's doing anything actually degenerate.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It transforms tapped I believe. There's enough incidental graveyard hate floating around that I'm not seeing this as a player.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i don't know if it's the size, or an issue with the symbol for the set but everytime a new card pops up i have to look to see if its an common, uncommon, or rare. Rare is kinda more visible but uncommon/common are basically just the same black smudges to me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Is the theme of the vampires in this set that they are in the middle of a converting from Catholicism to demon worship?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Is the theme of the vampires in this set that they are in the middle of a converting from Catholicism to demon worship?

Yes, theyre becoming protestants

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Some are, hence one of the vampires being *something* of the Schism. Vito is one of the Aclazotz worshippers, who are probably led by Arguel since Arguel's Blood Fast transforms into Temple of Aclazotz

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

i don't know if it's the size, or an issue with the symbol for the set but everytime a new card pops up i have to look to see if its an common, uncommon, or rare. Rare is kinda more visible but uncommon/common are basically just the same black smudges to me.

It should be more noticeable in your hand. The images are really hard to tell my the symbol color alone. They all share too much of the same shades.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

:drat:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ultima66 posted:

It costs 7 mana before you can generate mana with it I can't imagine it's doing anything actually degenerate.

yeah was trying to think of how it could be used and analogizing to cabal coffers, but while that card had color requirements it also had its heyday in a very different environment and coffers didn't demand much beyond playing swamps/was much harder to disrupt

seems like it would be at its best in a control deck that throws haymakers late, but it also needs to self-mill a lot and/or have a lot of what its doing be permanent-based without killing the opponent, which is a tall order

it does give you some looting on the way, but card power level is so high I don't think that it's good enough - I think it's much closer to something like Chromatic Orrery than any land

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Martin Luther Secret Lair when

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first 95 chapter saga.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I've been slowly going through attic boxes from way back. When my team dissolved I inherited all the cards, added to the collection, and eventually sold off most of the primo stuff. At the time I thought I was done with Magic. Would be cool to have playsets of Grim Monolith, Gaea's Cradle, Mox Diamond, among many other cards but the past is the past. I've been mostly going through piles for fun and the nostalgia hit, but I would be lying if I wasn't secretly hoping for a surprise money card that either slipped through our money binder or just wasn't worth poo poo back when I sold out. For some reason I can't find a single loving Rhystic Study which boggles my mind. Anyway...

Tonight I was sat on the couch casually going through piles (literally, this one is a cardboard box full of loose cards) when I hit this one:

A few minutes later found a Top, Sylvan Library, and a Strip Mine.

Also these deckbox booklets:

Didn't happen tonight but I dug out a beta Unsummon a few weeks ago when I first started sorting:

I have a mini heart attack every time I see the Legends set icon on a card. So far nothing crazy. TONS of random Ice Age stuff and Homelands kindling.

Compared to top end Magic collectables it's not much, but the alt art Ertai is $$$ and not seen often and the booklets are a fun nostalgia trip, so I figured I would share.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This does kind of hurt, I got into magic during the era of baneslayers and cawblades so the swords and BSA have a special place in my heart.

I keep trying to make the new swords work but the 5 mana investment+existing creature before they generate any value is just far too slow for modern standard.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Silhouette posted:

Some are, hence one of the vampires being *something* of the Schism. Vito is one of the Aclazotz worshippers, who are probably led by Arguel since Arguel's Blood Fast transforms into Temple of Aclazotz

They're explicitly lead by Vona, who's the vampire antipope

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

quote:

Land — Cave

~ ETB tapped.

As ~ enters the battlefield, choose a color.

(T) : Add 1 mana of the chosen color.

(T) : Add 2 mana of the chosen color. This mana can only be used for activated abilities of a land source.

I know it's probably not good enough as an ETB tapped land, but I can't stop thinking about turn 2 field of ruin!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kung fu jive posted:

Would be cool to have playsets of Grim Monolith, Gaea's Cradle, Mox Diamond,

:same:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would also like an extra $4000.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

I would also like an extra $4000.

It was an extra 100 when I bought them! :argh:

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

HootTheOwl posted:

It was an extra 100 when I bought them! :argh:

I had a Gaea's Cradle at one point, but traded it away because I'd never be able to get another three... I wish I'd gotten into singleton formats before trading away some of the better one-off cards I had.

Playset of City of Traitors that was just taking up space in a binder for 15 years ended up getting me a whole bunch of newer cards though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hasbro stock dropped 11% after today's earnings report so expect a poo poo ton of Marvel and the like in the near future

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We found a foil 7th edition Shivan Dragon in an old high school era binder.

Miraculously in flawless condition even though it was in a 3-ring binder and spent 15+ years in an uninsulated backyard shed.

It paid for plane tickets.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Katana Gomai posted:

Hasbro stock dropped 11% after today's earnings report so expect a poo poo ton of Marvel and the like in the near future

Star Trek UB please :pray:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Aphrodite posted:

We found a foil 7th edition Shivan Dragon in an old high school era binder.

Miraculously in flawless condition even though it was in a 3-ring binder and spent 15+ years in an uninsulated backyard shed.

It paid for plane tickets.

Those 9 slot binder sheets can do a shockingly good job of protecting cards. I’ve been lugging cards around with me from move to move, place to place, since I was 12, and a lot of those cards are still in fantastic condition.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

TotalHell posted:

Those 9 slot binder sheets can do a shockingly good job of protecting cards. I’ve been lugging cards around with me from move to move, place to place, since I was 12, and a lot of those cards are still in fantastic condition.

Yup, that's where my expensive cards were, and they stayed in great shape.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TotalHell posted:

As long as they're not in the first row, then you can get an imprint from the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Magic Tabletop up 18% revenue and WotC Digital up 40% not able to offset the absolute anchor that is the rest of Hasbro.

Yeah, they're going to milk as much out of MtG and DnD before cutting the absolute deadweight that is the rest of this obsolete company.