Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like how the Virgin Commanders aren’t trading for any offensive linemen and just keep using the same busted rear end fools each week. Meanwhile the Chad Giants sign a bunch of o-lineman from various practice squads and look a gently caress ton better than us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diqnol posted:

in this iteration yes, but we also have a guy named Devonta Smith. I don't think the offense falls apart if AJ misses a game.

AJ Brown is essential because Hurts can't hit with any sort of accuracy or with intentions of not getting his WRs killed. The AJ Brown slant TD was between two defenders who would have decapitated a normal WR but the guy shrugged off both hits and turned it into a TD.

Although DeVonta did prevent a really bad INT from Hurts by ripping a ball out of a guy's hands who must have 80 lbs on him at least.

What I'm saying is Hurts is sunkissed by the god of luck

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Doltos posted:

AJ Brown is essential because Hurts can't hit with any sort of accuracy or with intentions of not getting his WRs killed. The AJ Brown slant TD was between two defenders who would have decapitated a normal WR but the guy shrugged off both hits and turned it into a TD.

Although DeVonta did prevent a really bad INT from Hurts by ripping a ball out of a guy's hands who must have 80 lbs on him at least.

What I'm saying is Hurts is sunkissed by the god of luck

have you watched any JT O'Sullivan breakdowns/what do you think of them? I find value in the coverage and progression stuff he covers but overall in terms of evaluating how good/bad a QB played in a game they feel kinda... flimsy?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

indigi posted:

have you watched any JT O'Sullivan breakdowns/what do you think of them? I find value in the coverage and progression stuff he covers but overall in terms of evaluating how good/bad a QB played in a game they feel kinda... flimsy?

JTO is very smart and very good but he was making videos for forever without any traction so he started doing hater videos and is now really big.

My only real problem with him is that he overrates normal plays and demonizes plays that breakdown like he's unaware that poo poo can go wrong. Other than that he's really solid on his evaluations and telling you what the offense and defense are trying to do.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

biceps crimes posted:

I may settle on just catching up on games with NFL+

I've done this the last two weeks while traveling and it's been AMAZING.

I start Sunday evenings and watch 4-5 condensed games before bed, then the rest Monday and Tuesday.

way more focus than red zone and I feel like I actually know what happened in more games.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

https://twitter.com/CowboysStats/status/1715747973546553375?t=hdt5xcX-8Tj0-WJJTOZ2lA&s=19

TL;DR for you Meatheads:

Philly offense profiles like it did last year, but it's not getting the elite YAC that it did in '22.

Underlying numbers on the interceptions say they aren't an issue (yet) and probably just flukey.

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1716883617056764239?t=cUj49C9H61ADF-WYTmi9wg&s=19

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
gently caress y'all I'll post all I want

https://twitter.com/olivialeighrose/status/1717005263159369833?t=TJ-Eo3nv7pBUVq1yL0YDBA&s=19

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I often curse my father and grandfather for cursing me to inherit a shared interest with Jerry Jones

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

biceps crimes posted:

I often curse my father and grandfather for cursing me to inherit a shared interest with Jerry Jones

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In my case father and uncles. I mean how could you not cheer for the cowboys as a kid from Texas in the early 90s?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

biceps crimes posted:

Just to be sure, we're talking about the Dallas Cowboys football team and not bathroom bjs, right?.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Just to be sure, we're talking about the Dallas Cowboys football team and not bathroom bjs, right?.

We're all just looking for our glory hole days.

E: what is a ring of honor if not a glory hole?

https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1717213945298104344?t=KJhJbZR7dneiZBaMLAwnlw&s=19

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 25, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

\
He said NO PICKLES

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

In my case father and uncles. I mean how could you not cheer for the cowboys as a kid from Texas in the early 90s?

Mine were all goomba Giants fans that correctly taught me that Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith were incredibly overrated and that the entire team was reliant on their O-line and Michael Irvin balling out instead of me figuring that out by myself naturally as all football fans should

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I was watching highlights and interviews the other day and Irvin is absolutely underrated by the majority of football fans, in my head he was on the same Smith/Aikman tier of "obviously good but got the Cowboys HoF bump" and that's just not true. that guy was a bulldozer with a wrecking ball attached

another thing I realized
from those compilations I'd forgotten was how many bad jerseys the Cowboys have had over the years. their whites are basically always classic looking, but a ton of their blues and random alternates are mad ugly

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Michael Irvin had the art of the push off down to a loving science.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That was him letting the league know they gotta get stronger

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I got on the Irvin kick cause of some interview, it might have been in TFF (maybe even this very thread!), where he said something like "I'll trade a concussion for a catch"

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

BiggerBoat posted:

Michael Irvin had the art of the push off down to a loving science.

push off? I've watched him fully karate chop corners in the neck to get open, and get away with it. It was infuriating and amazing at the same time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

indigi posted:

I was watching highlights and interviews the other day and Irvin is absolutely underrated by the majority of football fans, in my head he was on the same Smith/Aikman tier of "obviously good but got the Cowboys HoF bump" and that's just not true. that guy was a bulldozer with a wrecking ball attached

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

grah posted:

push off? I've watched him fully karate chop corners in the neck to get open, and get away with it. It was infuriating and amazing at the same time.

hosed up but also owns

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Troy Aikman finished his career with a regular season record of 94-71.
- 61.5% completions
- 3.5% TD
- 3% INT
- 7 y/att
- 199 y/g
- 81.4 Rate

Adjusting for Era, Troy was top 10 in passer rating 6 times in the 1990s.
1991 NFL 86.7 (6)
1992 NFL 89.5 (3)
1993 NFL 99.0 (2)
1994 NFL 84.9 (5)
1995 NFL 93.6 (3)
1998 NFL 88.5 (8)

Also, Troy played exactly 16 games in the playoffs, one full season of extra football. If you take solely his statistics from his playoff games and count them as a full season, would represent his best season as a passer in his career.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean those numbers are easy with Michael Irvin pushing off on every play and the box stacked because of Emmitt and the OL.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

90s Kirk Cousins

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the Eagles ref scandal is really funny because the guy did it out of being a homer rather than for a duffel bag full of cash. Philly fans

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

indigi posted:

90s Kirk Cousins

Cousins didn’t win any Super Bowls

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

blarzgh posted:

Troy Aikman finished his career with a regular season record of 94-71.
- 61.5% completions
- 3.5% TD
- 3% INT
- 7 y/att
- 199 y/g
- 81.4 Rate

Adjusting for Era, Troy was top 10 in passer rating 6 times in the 1990s.
1991 NFL 86.7 (6)
1992 NFL 89.5 (3)
1993 NFL 99.0 (2)
1994 NFL 84.9 (5)
1995 NFL 93.6 (3)
1998 NFL 88.5 (8)

Also, Troy played exactly 16 games in the playoffs, one full season of extra football. If you take solely his statistics from his playoff games and count them as a full season, would represent his best season as a passer in his career.

I love stats because this motherfucker just hit us with an adjusted for era and then put this statline:

as flowerly as possible

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

I love stats because this motherfucker just hit us with an adjusted for era and then put this statline:

as flowerly as possible

90s Kirk Cousins is too generous he's 90s Jay Cutler

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Doltos posted:

as flowerly as possible

DVOA says Aikman was good, actually.

https://x.com/ASchatzNFL/status/1673700240917151744?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

indigi posted:

the Eagles ref scandal is really funny because the guy did it out of being a homer rather than for a duffel bag full of cash. Philly fans

And God immediately spited him and the region by having the baseball team collapse for it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I asked that guy if he adjusted DVOA to fit his own model and why he was constantly updating it to chase current models in the NFL and he was like ummm uhhh well you see its good now I was just fixing stuff

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

indigi posted:

90s Kirk Cousins

As much as Troy was carried by the rest of his team, he did win some playoff games

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Troy is Kirk Cousins if Kirk Cousins was good in prime time and had 3 Super Bowl wins

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think everyone remembers that one super bowl run Troy had and not the other 7 times he went to the playoffs and sucked rear end

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

:barf:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Troy won back then and keeps winning now. Mad?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aikman is by far the best cowboys qb since stauback

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Chris James 2 posted:

And God immediately spited him and the region by having the baseball team collapse for it

1 Eagles regular season win = at least 2 Phillies World Series wins, so still a very solid trade

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i miss the days when guys would throw 18 picks a year and still be considered great. bring back good lovely qbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

- Eli manning finished his career with a regular season record of 117 - 117. A perfectly .500 QB.

- 60.3% completions
- 4.5% TD
- 3% INT
- 7 y/att
- 241 y/g
- 84.1 Rate

Eli was only a top 10 passer 1 time in 15 years: 2011 NFL 92.9 (7th.)

Also, Eli led the league in interceptions 3 times (2007, 2010, 2013). He has the 12th most interceptions of All Time.

In seasons that NY didn't win a superbowl, he never won a playoff game, and he threw 3 TD and 7 Ints. He played in 12 playoff games over fifteen years, and "threw away" a third of them (4).