Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

They need offense but I don't think the answer is dump everyone for Juan Soto TBH

Would you want the Yankees sign to Juan Soto if he was a FA this year? Of course you would. So why shouldn't they trade for him?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes what the Yankees need is definitely another DH

He's a fine corner OF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pobrecito posted:

i would legit cry and maybe stop watching baseball

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Would you want the Yankees sign to Juan Soto if he was a FA this year? Of course you would. So why shouldn't they trade for him?

He's a fine corner OF.

No probably not to be honest

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Soto is already a pretty bad fielder and he's 24. In another couple years he'll be a really bad fielder.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

This is a scortching hot take.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 26, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Nodoze posted:

:prepop:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Just had a vision of Juan Soto launching dingers over the RF wall at Yankee Stadium and the fans booing and holding signs that said “WE WANT JASSON DOMINGUEZ BACK”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What could the Phillies even get for Turner ? Not much probably nothing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
They could get Jeremy Pena for him :v:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Soto is already a pretty bad fielder and he's 24. In another couple years he'll be a really bad fielder.

How much do front offices value corner OF defense?

Soto is a threat with the bat for as long as he's healthy.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

How much do front offices value corner OF defense?

Shapiro and Atkins value it enough to trade away a future franchise catcher!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Gerblederp posted:

Shapiro and Atkins value it enough to trade away a future franchise catcher!

Gabriel Moreno rules, but y'all have Alejandro Kirk. You don't need 2 franchise catchers!!!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

Gabriel Moreno rules, but y'all have Alejandro Kirk. You don't need 2 franchise catchers!!!

Definitely do not look at Kirks batting stats for this year

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

Someone to take maybe 75% of the contract with the Phillies eating the rest, in exchange for future considerations

Bregor
May 31, 2013

euphronius posted:

Sorry friend you're pretty much landlocked into that contract

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I don’t think Soto is THE answer but my man is averaging 6 WAR/year and he’s 24. If there’s a chance you can trade and extend him I’d give up a package of dudes who likely all have a fraction of his ceiling. Especially as bleak as the free agent market is this year and the dire reality of the Yankees’ left field options.

That said I don’t think it’ll happen mostly because I don’t think Hal is willing to drop what it would cost to extend Soto.

Wallet.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Juan Soto is old as poo poo and turned 25 yesterday.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mcmagic posted:

He's a fine corner OF.

Juan Soto plays in a pitcher's park yet has a poor negative dWAR, the worst on the team by far.

Look up OF rankings on Fangraphs, he's not very good.

And holy poo poo is Esteury Ruiz bad. How can someone that fast be so lovely at fielding?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

This is a scortching hot take.

It depends, if 2022 was just an aberration then yeah sure. If he's gonna hit 240 again then no they have had enough of those guys, especially when he isn't going to be long for playing the outfield

This is all rampant speculation anyway, odds are he isn't going anywhere cause why would they just abandon ship on him

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

They could get Jeremy Pena for him :v:

Dude changed to Adam Everett in a blink of an eye

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Red posted:

Juan Soto plays in a pitcher's park yet has a poor negative dWAR, the worst on the team by far.

Look up OF rankings on Fangraphs, he's not very good.

And holy poo poo is Esteury Ruiz bad. How can someone that fast be so lovely at fielding?

Wouldn’t a pitcher’s park be worse for Soto because there are more balls for him to make plays on?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the outfield in Petco is huge which doesn't help him. But he is not a good fielder.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
2022 gold glove finalist Juan Soto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

It depends, if 2022 was just an aberration then yeah sure. If he's gonna hit 240 again then no they have had enough of those guys, especially when he isn't going to be long for playing the outfield

This is all rampant speculation anyway, odds are he isn't going anywhere cause why would they just abandon ship on him

Because they don't want to pay him 30MM and it didn't work out last year. They need to remake their team a little bit and he's the most tradable asset they have.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

Wouldn’t a pitcher’s park be worse for Soto because there are more balls for him to make plays on?

Defensive runs saved takes everything into account - so his poor rating there means he's generally bad at most, if not all, aspects of defense. Petco being pitcher-friendly gives him more opportunities to succeed/fail. Petco has a lot of foul territory (if I remember right), which I would assume should give him at least some occasional easy plays.

Even more interesting is that the guy next to him (Trent Grisham) is good, and should occasionally help him out. But nope.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Soto's "bad" year is still a 400 OBP and a 145 WRC+

He's an elite offensive player who hits lefty and is exactly what the Yankees need. They can stick him in LF and forget about it for 10 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They'll be able to sign him in a year if they want to spend the money. He's a Boras guy so the risk of him signing an extension with some other team that trades for him and not hitting the free agent market is near zero. It's purely a question of trading a bunch of young talent, which they're not exactly drowning in right now, to get him a year ahead of schedule. They'll have to pay him either way.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 26, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

They'll be able to sign him in a year if they want to spend the money. He's a Boras guy so the risk of him signing an extension with some other team that trades for him and not hitting the free agent market is near zero. It's purely a question of trading a bunch of young talent, which they're not exactly drowning in right now, to get him a year ahead of schedule. They'll have to pay him either way.

This is a fair point but they aren't going to just punt another Judge and Cole prime year next year. They are going to try to make the playoffs.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Red posted:

Grisham and Tatis are elite defenders so being worse than them doesn't mean much.

Soto's numbers are bad but he makes the routine plays. Anyone who says they wouldn't want him cause of his defense is looking for a reason to not want him.

And there's like two feet between the line and the side wall in left at Petco.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I cross-referenced Soto against another bat-first left fielder, Manuel Aristides Ramírez, who was a defensive trainwreck even at Fenway. In Manny's first six full seasons, he accumulated 34.4 WAR. Soto's racked up 28.7, and that includes two years where he missed time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Grisham and Tatis are elite defenders so being worse than them doesn't mean much.

Soto's numbers are bad but he makes the routine plays. Anyone who says they wouldn't want him cause of his defense is looking for a reason to not want him.

Yeah, but I think the point was that if he's well below average defensively at age 25, his decline may be pretty steep as he gets older.

And my understanding was that defensive stats can be affected by being surrounded by good defenders.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

I cross-referenced Soto against another bat-first left fielder, Manuel Aristides Ramírez, who was a defensive trainwreck even at Fenway. In Manny's first six full seasons, he accumulated 34.4 WAR. Soto's racked up 28.7, and that includes two years where he missed time.

Soto also went into a funk after the only team he had ever played for leaked their contract offer to save face before trading him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The dumb about all the Soto mock trades people come up with is that it's mostly for minor league depth. The Padres have a good farm system, they don't need to trade their best hitter to restock.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Bregor posted:

Sorry friend you're pretty much landlocked into that contract

Lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

live with fruit posted:

Soto also went into a funk after the only team he had ever played for leaked their contract offer to save face before trading him.

Every time I get sad about how the Cubs hosed up their post-WS goodwill, I try to remember that the Nationals did everything way worse :unsmith:

live with fruit posted:

The dumb about all the Soto mock trades people come up with is that it's mostly for minor league depth. The Padres have a good farm system, they don't need to trade their best hitter to restock.

They do have a deep system, but Merrill and Lesko just turned 20, and Salas, Snelling, and Zavala are teenagers. If they want to slash payroll but still contend while those guys cook they could be looking for some MLB talent on the upswing or high minors prospects.

Also holy poo poo Michael King is 28? Some pitchers just figure it out later in their career but man that's crazy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Padres aren't likely to be looking for just prospects in a Soto trade. They're going to want cheap(ish) major league players. Plus prospects, ideally. It depends how many teams decide they've gotta have him what they end up getting.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Padres aren't likely to be looking for just prospects in a Soto trade. They're going to want cheap(ish) major league players. Plus prospects, ideally. It depends how many teams decide they've gotta have him what they end up getting.

Could the Padres deal Soto to New York for cash and picks alone? Granted, both would have to be significant, but it both allows the Padres to run with what they have and keep the farm going for a while.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AFAIK only comp picks are tradeable and I don't think the Yankees have any of those. They could trade some of their international bonus pool I think?

You also can't trade a player just for cash. Best you can do is take on a bad contract for the other team. I don't think there's a good match between the Yankees and Padres in that arena.

Realistically the Yankees don't have the collection of young talent to compete in a trade market for Soto, if the Padres decide to move him. Yankees fans are basically wishcasting that the Padres will maybe just do the Yankees a solid.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For as bad as the Betts trade was, the Red Sox still got Verdugo and rid of Price, and the Padres don't have a contract like Price's to dump. If the Padres only get prospects back, they have to go out and replace Soto, which would cut into the savings they're trading their best hitter to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Soto is a "all in on 2024" move. He's already turned down a historic extension that would have made him the highest paid player in baseball and with how the market's trended for top level FA's since there's no reason at all to suspect that has changed, if anything his decision to reach FA no matter what has probably calcified that much more. So you're gutting the top end of your farm and probably giving up a decent major league guy on top for 162 games of Soto + (hopefully) a postseason run. All of which is to say, there's really no point in trading for him unless your team is pretty much already complete and just wants that extra boost to really put them over the edge, or is otherwise planning to complete the team in other ways complimentary to Soto in FA.