Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

well why not posted:

They’re amazingly deep too. Even the more simple Sekiro story had a lot going on below the surface. Like the centipedes

FROM storytelling is great because it’s fit into the games, not into cinematics and lore dumps. You can be as involved as you like - take things at face value and boss rush, or really explore and contemplate the environment and it’s inhabitants.

A thousand times better than “hello player, here is the history of the world, I am a peasant” or reading poo poo off of computer terminals.

Yeah most of the reason I love their games is they're the only developer I know using the medium as if its own thing - Felix is the only person I've heard actually say this on the episode of Struggle Session about the games. Really wish that's what the developers aping them took from them instead of uhh make the game really hard.

Other games that get lauded for their storytelling clearly want to be movies.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It would probably be far too big of a project but I would kill for Will to do a series about DS9. Only Trek series I really liked.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I've been watching this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/@tarnishedarchaeologist about Elden Ring and now Bloodborne and they're excellent. Sometimes he'll stretch a little here and there but you can see how careful FROM is with their design work, and building it in a way that speaks to the history implied through the rest of the game. really fascinating stuff and a good thing to put on if you're folding laundry or whatever

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah most of the reason I love their games is they're the only developer I know using the medium as if its own thing - Felix is the only person I've heard actually say this on the episode of Struggle Session about the games. Really wish that's what the developers aping them took from them instead of uhh make the game really hard.

Other games that get lauded for their storytelling clearly want to be movies.

Death Stranding ruled

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

net work error posted:

Death Stranding ruled

Kojima gets away with it like Scorsese does with voiceovers.

I was thinking more like Last of Us.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

It's normal to be into something for a few years and then move on from it.

MMA fandom used to feel very different in ways that are difficult to describe succinctly. Among other things, there was a feeling of being part of something that was by and for outsiders and weirdos. The change didn't happen all at once, but I think a lot of it was UFC buying up failing competitors in the late 00s, then the exclusive sponsorship deals in 2015 that ended the era of fighters wearing GOLDENPALACE.COM or CONDOM DEPOT on their shorts, followed by the sale to Endeavour. All of which cost athletes money and opportunities, and put them in a worse bargaining position vis a vis the UFC.

Most of Felix's weird interests seem to be connected in some way to thinking about loneliness and alienation, how people cope with it, and what celebrity means in a world of alienated individuals. I'm guessing he no longer finds MMA an interesting lens to examine those issues, at least no more interesting than football or basketball.

It's also something you just age slowly out of I think.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The MMA scene is just kinda boring now. UFC has guaranteed cash from ESPN, so they don't need to go all out to maximize ppv quality to draw to buys. They also seem to be following WWE style thinking that the Brand UFC is the star rather than the actual fighters, so they don't really commit to making genuine stars (because stars want to be paid like stars).

There is no fun competitor like Pride was back in the heyday, and the b leagues are lifeless and dying off.

Something, something, the enshittification of MMA.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dueling's gonna come back in style to fill the void left by MMA's defangment.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I invite everyone to get into watching weightlifting where there's so much political drama and doping they were basically about to get kicked out of the Olympics like a month ago. Also :china: owns at the sport

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

net work error posted:

I invite everyone to get into watching weightlifting where there's so much political drama and doping they were basically about to get kicked out of the Olympics like a month ago. Also :china: owns at the sport

The better the athletes perform the more difficult it is for them to be drug tested.

:iiam:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Howling at Hesse's "Frank killed Julie because he way GAY."

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Was it a Chinese swimmer who was drug tested and then their trainer smashed the vial with a hammer? That kind of rules tbh

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hammer and Sickle Cell Anemia

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Bg3 post whoops

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I've been watching this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/@tarnishedarchaeologist about Elden Ring and now Bloodborne and they're excellent. Sometimes he'll stretch a little here and there but you can see how careful FROM is with their design work, and building it in a way that speaks to the history implied through the rest of the game. really fascinating stuff and a good thing to put on if you're folding laundry or whatever

His whole schtick is applying archeology to a videogame so you do sometimes get "We have no clue what this was so we'r ejust gonna say ritual implement."

He rules.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

On second thought, Felix has only one possible route where the combination of shinto, combat sports, and an assortment of guys is and that's sumo.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I love their effusion for Exorcist 3. Just rewatched it earlier this month and the good parts of it are so absolutely astounding for a "Horror" franchise film that it's headspinning. Absolutely Brad Dourif is doing some Marlon Brando tier monologuing and the whole thing is filmed with such skin crawling tension that what anyone else would have tried would come across as cheap but here is just perfect. Such a good loving movie. One of the best of the decade.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sumo, unlike weightlifting and bodybuilding, is actually interesting to watch, at least in the digest versions that get published to YouTube.

It also has drama and politics and people behaving badly and, if you can't enjoy a hobby that doesn't carry a risk of prodromal schizophrenia, there are whole conspiracy theories about match-fixing that you can get into.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

How do we get a Hakuho highlight reel in front of Felix.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

one of the best parts of sumo is watching 200 year old super wealthy japanese guys get absolutely smushed because they paid for the seats closest to the dohyo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Danger posted:

I love their effusion for Exorcist 3. Just rewatched it earlier this month and the good parts of it are so absolutely astounding for a "Horror" franchise film that it's headspinning. Absolutely Brad Dourif is doing some Marlon Brando tier monologuing and the whole thing is filmed with such skin crawling tension that what anyone else would have tried would come across as cheap but here is just perfect. Such a good loving movie. One of the best of the decade.

its a shame you can feel the studio meddling because the last act priest reveal is unbelievably stupid.

still one of my favorite movies though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i watched smile last night and it was too scary

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
There’s also a lot of cheating in sump, bc of/in spite of the whole “honor” thing they got going on over there

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Famethrowa posted:

its a shame you can feel the studio meddling because the last act priest reveal is unbelievably stupid.

still one of my favorite movies though.

Yea I remember the first time seeing it and being utterly confused on who this was lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The ending they went with was so much better than the original but yeah the priest showing up is so bizarre.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm loving Movie Mindset but I also love movies.

Watching The Exorcist 3 now cause it's on Criterion. Just 3, and not the Legion version.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I understand why Exorcist 3 and Halloween 3 have their fans but both are pretty mid to me. To steal a friend's review, H3 was written by Garth Marenghi.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Halloween 3 is a great level of goofy but Exorcist 3 just transcends the genre. It’s also, in fairness, a hard one to watch retrospectively as soooo many well regarded movies were influenced by it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I understand why Exorcist 3 and Halloween 3 have their fans but both are pretty mid to me. To steal a friend's review, H3 was written by Garth Marenghi.

I think stuff like Halloween 3 gains the reputation it has not necessarily by being spectacular, but more just that it probably took at least a decade or more for it to get a fair shake solely because people were so disappointed by it not being a Michael Myers Halloween film.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

The ending they went with was so much better than the original but yeah the priest showing up is so bizarre.

Dourif and Scott make it exceptional despite itself.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think stuff like Halloween 3 gains the reputation it has not necessarily by being spectacular, but more just that it probably took at least a decade or more for it to get a fair shake solely because people were so disappointed by it not being a Michael Myers Halloween film.

After I don’t know how many sequels of, let’s say varying quality, Michael Myers is kind of a Leprechaun tier villain these days, so the one without him in it starts looking better and better.

Movie is bonkers, I fuckin love it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Michael Myers has never hit a bong, to my knowledge.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like the 2018 Halloween a lot. Too bad about the sequels and apparently DGG's new Exorcist.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is who Felix was trying to remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAzbBYHDaBI

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
double header david roth episodes GIVE me that slop YES

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

terrorist ambulance posted:

double header david roth episodes GIVE me that slop YES

He's so good, permanent Virgil replacement please

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i want matt back

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Caleb reading the Arthur Brooks article and deciding to come out of retirement for one last job.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tirade posted:

He's so good, permanent Virgil replacement please

Chapo: The Next Generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I'm gonna be honest for the first 5-10 minutes of that movie mindset I thought Clive Barker and Clive Cussler were the same person :v: