Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it doesn’t support bluetooth bulbs? hue requires either a hub for older ones (which never worked without one) or the new ones should just work with a hub or bluetooth. it may be a pain to have to use the hue app if you prefer the home app but you shouldn’t strictly need a hub to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
i think the new iMacs should come in midnight/starlight/etc and the fun colours :unsmith:

and i think they should lose the chin :unsmigghh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

mediaphage posted:

it doesn’t support bluetooth bulbs? hue requires either a hub for older ones (which never worked without one) or the new ones should just work with a hub or bluetooth. it may be a pain to have to use the hue app if you prefer the home app but you shouldn’t strictly need a hub to do it?

I still have the Hue hub so it's not a major issue, though I am planning to move them over to my HA setup once I have that nailed down a bit more. The entire affair is on me, don't have a baby and do major software upgrades folks. Still should have saved me from myself though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Warbird posted:

I still have the Hue hub so it's not a major issue, though I am planning to move them over to my HA setup once I have that nailed down a bit more. The entire affair is on me, don't have a baby and do major software upgrades folks. Still should have saved me from myself though.

yeah they have a bad habit of randomly changing the way things work without telling you there's going to be a change; imo it's by far their worst issue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Warbird posted:

This is some horse poo poo. Not only do you lose the ability to remote operate your Homekit setup when you update to the new architecture, you also lose every other user in your home and can't add them back without an AppleTV/HomePod/Whatever on your network.

Additionally, I can no longer use my goddamn Hue lights since I deleted the old home as part of troubleshooting (at support's recommendation) and you also can't add those without a gooddamn hub anymore. Christ a drat mighty, what is even the point? I've got HA going so I'm fine, but the wife liked the iOS integration for the lights so I'm having a fun time of things.

You shouldn't be able to upgrade to the new arch if you don't have a Hub on your LAN, there's utterly no point to do so and it's only downsides. God drat you Timothy Crapple. Yeah, I said it.

Bah.

I gave HomeKit + HomePods + AppleTV an honest shot and was so disappointed I ended up returning all the equipment after a week. Setup was annoying and unreliable even with Matter devices and Siri just could not do what my wife and I were used to doing with Alexa and our Fire devices. It’s a shame, because I really appreciate how Apple limits the intrusiveness of advertising into your space and I wanted it to work so bad.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I said in 2021 I wouldn't get M series until M4 so that's coming along faster than I imagined. But I still won't pay full retail for M4.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

I said in 2021 I wouldn't get M series until M4 so that's coming along faster than I imagined. But I still won't pay full retail for M4.

ok

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's just number go up so fast.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
What a strange requirement

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Its arbitrary because at any given time I never actually need new computer/laptop.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ok

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

TACD posted:

This is one of the best Apple goon posts I’ve ever read; thank you for this gift

I just started using a work provided Dell laptop and can’t believe how horrible they are. My 2005 PowerBook’s trackpad was better.

You’d think some PM over at Dell would figure out whatever Apple does and copy it.

Warbird posted:

You shouldn't be able to upgrade to the new arch if you don't have a Hub on your LAN, there's utterly no point to do so and it's only downsides. God drat you Timothy Crapple. Yeah, I said it.

No hub, no HomeKit control. Pretty simple really. I’m not even sure how you had HomeKit support without a hub in the first place? How does that work?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I gave HomeKit + HomePods + AppleTV an honest shot and was so disappointed I ended up returning all the equipment after a week. Setup was annoying and unreliable even with Matter devices and Siri just could not do what my wife and I were used to doing with Alexa and our Fire devices. It’s a shame, because I really appreciate how Apple limits the intrusiveness of advertising into your space and I wanted it to work so bad.

You’d rather use a FireStick’s OS over Apple TVs? Apple TV’s are kinda considered the best of all the streaming devices, while Amazons are considered the worst. Apple TV doesn’t feel bogged down with ad-sponsored content like Roku, Google TV, and Fire Stick (just a vessel to push Amazon content, gimped App Store). Apps like Plex and YouTube TV are often prioritized on AppleTV even.

I’ve been using an AppleTV with HomeKit for years now and have had a few issues over the years, but there are tons of advantages of it over Alexa or Google Home - if your internet is out, all of your HomeKit devices still have to function on your network, for example. Being able to access everything from your phones control center is great as well. I personally don’t feel comfortable giving a bunch of third party apps my location data, or even Google or Amazon (same with mics), so I setup all my automations in HomeKit even though I have a Google Home Hub.

There are plenty of HomeKit capable smart switches that aren’t much more than Alexa/Google only devices.

Hue is the gold standard in smart lights and have had HomeKit support for many years.

Aqara makes all sorts of really affordable and sensors, switches, cameras, etc.

Got a free Ecobee from our energy company. That’s HomeKit capable.

Most smart TVs that run Android TV or Roku support HomeKit control as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 25, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Corb3t posted:

I just started using a work provided Dell laptop and can’t believe how horrible they are. My 2005 PowerBook’s trackpad was better.

You’d think some PM over at Dell would figure out whatever Apple does and copy it.

You pretty much have to move up to the high end ultralights before windows touchpads stop sucking rear end.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Corb3t posted:

No hub, no HomeKit control. Pretty simple really. I’m not even sure how you had HomeKit support without a hub in the first place? How does that work?

Just fine as it turns out, but that role was being filled by my iPad. However, I’ve had Hue controls in iOS for a lot longer than that iPad was around. I presume it was just doing API calls to the Hue hub or the like. Now how was that working post upgrade to the new arch and thus no hub? No goddamn clue, but it was working.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hearing scuttlebutt that the reason the Scarily Fast event is happening late in the day is because it includes a collaboration with a "well known game developer in Japan" who apparently is not someone previously seen at an Apple event (ie it isn't Capcom or Hideo Kojima). As you know, rumours like this are basically fact. Wonder who it is...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
It’s gonna be ZUN, Mac is stealing touhou.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
those events are prerecorded these days, that doesn't make sense like at all

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s airing late at night because it’s Halloween themed

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
What is the best external drive option for a 2017 MacBook Pro? I keep getting confused by what is and what is not compatible with the thunderbolt on this thing. What keywords should I be looking for when comparison shopping?

Planning on storing and moving very large files (vm images) relatively frequently.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope it starts with Tim Cook shining a flashlight up under his chin in a dark room

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I hope it starts with Tim Cook shining a flashlight up under his chin in a dark room

Submitted for the approval of the Apple Society, I call this the m2 iMac!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

MrQueasy posted:

What is the best external drive option for a 2017 MacBook Pro? I keep getting confused by what is and what is not compatible with the thunderbolt on this thing. What keywords should I be looking for when comparison shopping?

Planning on storing and moving very large files (vm images) relatively frequently.

Here is a good post about it, basically you want the Asmedia ASM2464PD chip.

https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/29/list-of-ssd-enclosure-chipsets-2022/
Also this link
https://www.reddit.com/r/Thunderbolt/comments/16x4yrq/best_nvme_ssd_enclosure_card_test_results_for/

Perplx fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 26, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fedule posted:

Hearing scuttlebutt that the reason the Scarily Fast event is happening late in the day is because it includes a collaboration with a "well known game developer in Japan" who apparently is not someone previously seen at an Apple event (ie it isn't Capcom or Hideo Kojima). As you know, rumours like this are basically fact. Wonder who it is...

hey Sony pls bring your PC PlayStation ports to the Mac

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hi son, I'm Sony. The answer is no.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sony Sez that if you can afford a Mac you can afford a PS5

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I feel like it’d be more likely that Microsoft announces that a bunch of more games from Activision Blizzard are coming to macOS (not that I think it’ll happen).

I thought I saw that as part of the merger agreement with either the UK or EU, if someone said they wanted Microsoft’s games to be ported over, Microsoft would do it. I think it was more intended for Sony and the PS5, but Apple could take advantage too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fedule posted:

It will be Nintendo and only on the 2023 M3 iPad Pro.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'd rather buy an iPad Pro than a Switch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I'd rather buy an iPad Pro than a Switch.

yeah probably me too, but one has way better games and is cheaper

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Square-Enix steps forward, "Would you like our really bad outsourced ports of games we haven't cared about in at least twenty years?"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Square-Enix steps forward, "Would you like our really bad outsourced ports of games we haven't cared about in at least twenty years?"

lol the funniest outcome would be Tim “I’m simply not a gamer” Cook overpaying for Kingdom Hearts because Disney is a valuable brand

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol the funniest outcome would be Tim “I’m simply not a gamer” Cook overpaying for Kingdom Hearts because Disney is a valuable brand

Tim doesn't overpay for anything.

He makes the customers do that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s come up in the iPhone thread lately that Sony and Apple seem to have a thing going since the DualSense is always what they use when showing someone playing games on an iThing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Tim doesn't overpay for anything.

He makes the customers do that.

excited to see Birth By Sleep on all Apple Silicon devices, only $59.99

Edit: then when nobody buys it because it’s kingdom hearts and it’s $60 we can have Craig or Tim patronizingly tell us that it simply doesn’t make economic sense to push AAA gaming on Apple’s platform, because the customers just aren’t interested in that sort of thing

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 27, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I’m guessing Suda51 because I dont care to see little big planet or ff:atb on mac.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

njsykora posted:

It’s come up in the iPhone thread lately that Sony and Apple seem to have a thing going since the DualSense is always what they use when showing someone playing games on an iThing.

It goes much further back! I’m pretty sure this is the correct video, I’m on mobile.

https://youtu.be/UQSKWOw-sZc?si=oM6rTk5CxxRwPIPG

It talks about Apple wanting to partner with Sony to use this platform for Macintosh PCs if I recall correctly. Just fun trivia.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they’re bringing back vaio and they run macos and xm6 will have u1 chips and dante is coming over to hang out with me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sony design was a big inspiration for apple in a lot of ways too, jobs was a big fan

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Work was selling off some old equipment and I got my hands on a 2020 M1 MacBook Air for 250 Canada bucks. It’s even got 16gb of ram. Finally, my first apple silicon computer of my own :’)

The catch? It has a French keyboard. I snagged it knowing even if the keyboard was no bueno, I could just use it in clamshell mode as a desktop, but it would be nice to just have it around the house.

I’m thinking I can order US key caps and remap it to approximate a “normal” layout. Anyone here done this / have any tips / suggestions for where to find the right key caps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

Work was selling off some old equipment and I got my hands on a 2020 M1 MacBook Air for 250 Canada bucks. It’s even got 16gb of ram. Finally, my first apple silicon computer of my own :’)

The catch? It has a French keyboard. I snagged it knowing even if the keyboard was no bueno, I could just use it in clamshell mode as a desktop, but it would be nice to just have it around the house.

I’m thinking I can order US key caps and remap it to approximate a “normal” layout. Anyone here done this / have any tips / suggestions for where to find the right key caps?

holy poo poo what a deal.

if you touch type you can just use a different software layout and ignore the physical keys. but there are sold keycaps it looks like, but i'd consider ordering some of the scissor clips too because google suggests they're easy to break