Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I've never heard of blackberry cobbler, but am unsurprised it exists as that seems the kind of thing you would cobble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Kurgarra Queen posted:

If I ever own a home, I want my property to be full of berries. Preferably non-invasive ones, of course, but berries are the best.

....on second thought, maybe I'll just keep the invasive fuckers in pots.

This is probably more work than I imagine, but the idea of just being able to go out into my yard and get food from it sounds a million times better than just a plain of grass.

Me and my old lady are lucky enough to have property that has a poo poo ton of blackberries, mostly the invasive ones but there are some of the others. There’s also a lot of salmon berries and the wife grew a blueberry bush that provided. She usually harvests like two huge ziplock bags of berries to freeze for the winter.

I don’t really know you but this chat thread is awesome and full of good people ( I mainly lurk 👀 ), so if you happen to live in the Seattle area, come through and pick berries. Although if you live in western WA you basically can’t throw a rock without hitting a Himalayan blackberry bush.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
re: old parents chat, my 70 year old dad has Alzheimer’s and with that, Parkinson’s decided to join the party.
I’m here at my parents in NorCal right now so my mom can go to my cousins wedding this weekend and I volunteered to babysit my dad and feed him, wipe his rear end, etc.

It sucks :geno:

He can’t really follow it anymore but we get to watch football this weekend :unsmith:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I started watching battlestar galactica cause I've never watched it before. P decent. With some hilariously bad stories and scenes thrown in.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rotten posted:

re: old parents chat, my 70 year old dad has Alzheimer’s and with that, Parkinson’s decided to join the party.
I’m here at my parents in NorCal right now so my mom can go to my cousins wedding this weekend and I volunteered to babysit my dad and feed him, wipe his rear end, etc.

It sucks :geno:

He can’t really follow it anymore but we get to watch football this weekend :unsmith:

Sorry about your dad, that is a rough combo. Alzheimer’s is scarier to me than cancer. You’re being awesome by helping out because this has to be taking a toll on your mom.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I started watching battlestar galactica cause I've never watched it before. P decent. With some hilariously bad stories and scenes thrown in.

The first season of BSG had like no budget at all and what money they did have went to cgi. It’s one of the reasons they spend so much time doing random interior shots. I remember a first season shot of people in a coffee shop. It’s very clearly like coffee shop in an apartment complex and none of the equipment is turned on.

They had no idea how successful they were going to be. And to their credit as their budget increased they focused primarily on bigger and better space battles and violins for bear mcreary. You might be the only person on the forums that doesn’t know The Adama Maneuver shot for shot. There was still tons of filler crap though, like 1/3rd of a whole season spent watching lee adama cry in a bar.

BSG is like 2.5 seasons of some of the best television ever made. The ending I think has gotten better over time, especially considering the hole the writers put themselves in to early. And ESPECIALLY compared to how game of thrones ended.

Anyway enjoy :bsg: it loving rules. First season ends really well and then the show just goes loving nuts.

Racetrack did nothing wrong Lee Adama is a loving moron this is the best song of the series and and I will not be taking questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f2MnaV_j0Q

Best scene in the series?

“Know what I miss most? Sports.”

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Best scene in the series?

“Know what I miss most? Sports.”

BSG has one of the few moments in television that made me audibly gasp, pause the episode, and have to come back later.

DO NOT HOVER OVER THIS, BIG SPOILER

Dee shooting herself. Holy poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

BSG has one of the few moments in television that made me audibly gasp, pause the episode, and have to come back later.

DO NOT HOVER OVER THIS, BIG SPOILER

Dee shooting herself. Holy poo poo.

I’ve never seen a TVIV thread move that fast. Red Wedding maybe.

you knew something was up because they’d never given her a full episode like that

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rotten posted:

Me and my old lady are lucky enough to have property that has a poo poo ton of blackberries, mostly the invasive ones but there are some of the others. There’s also a lot of salmon berries and the wife grew a blueberry bush that provided. She usually harvests like two huge ziplock bags of berries to freeze for the winter.

I don’t really know you but this chat thread is awesome and full of good people ( I mainly lurk 👀 ), so if you happen to live in the Seattle area, come through and pick berries. Although if you live in western WA you basically can’t throw a rock without hitting a Himalayan blackberry bush.

Cool, thanks and feel free to keep on postin’!

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Let me tell you all about having large berry producing plants on your property and the giant rainbow of bird poo poo that covers everything around them...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

When I moved in to my house, the previous owners had a small row of raspberry bushes, but they always came up really small, and all the rabbits got to the berries before they were even ripe. We ended up ripping them out and planting wildflowers, which I like a lot more. If I ever have a place with a bunch of land, I'd love to plant blueberries, raspberries, and some fruit trees like apples, peaches, and sour cherry.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thinking of building a split rail fence up one side of my driveway and planting berries.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I need to find some blackberry pie or cobbler, miss that type of stuff. I did see that a cafe nearby is doing pumpkin pie until Thanksgiving, which is notable because it’s rare as hell over here.

I have found an appreciation for a few fruits we didn’t see a ton in the U.S. (or at least in the Northwest) and persimmons are one of them. In season here now and very good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The neighbor behind my place had grapes growing on a trestle near the fence and it made fora nice natural barrier. Alas they were wine grapes so not something you'd just pick up & eat. Also they cut them down and the chain link just doesn't provide the cozy privacy as before.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Haven't worked an 18+ hour day in a while and haha this sucks man

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Air Skwirl posted:

My grand parents had a giant raspberry patch in their backyard and when I visited in the summer I would spend entire afternoons just picking berries for them that they'd pay me some miniscule amount of money for, but also just eat a poo poo ton myself. It was pretty awesome. The picking wasn't a requirement, if I didn't want to do it I could do something else, or just eat them, it was just "hey we'll give you a couple bucks if you fill this small bucket with raspberries."

My grandparents had the same - like drat near a thousand sq ft area of raspberries in a long line - that we could just go to town on, filling multiple gallon ice cream pails in an afternoon. I really miss doing that.

BlindSite posted:

Mulberries are my fav

They're also my Dad's favorite. Previous owners planted a tree on the edge of the woods in our back yard so it grew really funky. There is (was) a huge branch sticking out as far as it could to get sunlight that had a load of berries that broke off in a storm a few months back. The only other section that is fruiting is high up where it's clear of most of the shade :(

I don't remember being that on edge watching a show before BSG. Seriously some of the best sci fi ever.

Dee and Cally :smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It happened/is happening. Snow blower still runs like a champ. Will probably change the oil in it today. Kids were furious school didn't get cancelled. Free day to myself.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I don't live anywhere near berries, but the couple times I've been to Canada in Saskatoon season have been fun, nothing like berries from the bush.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Rotten posted:

I really appreciate this, but I live in New Haven County(CT!), where all the motorists have long ago been driven insane by our many terrible interstates and parkways, any and/or all of which could be parking lots at any moment. But I did get to snack on blackberries on the trail and the first place I lived had a mulberry tree in the backyard (highly recommended, yet messy).

A friend of mine lives in Eugene (OR) and that was next level. I ate more blackberries and plums in that week+ than I ever had before or since. It was luxurious. If I ever moved it would be over there. I love that friend.

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 26, 2023

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Sup New Haven buddy.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

Air Skwirl posted:

Sorry to distract from Berry cobbler chat, but how the gently caress did the Republicans find someone who is even more of a fascist than Jim Jordan or Steve Scalise to be Speaker of the House? I've never heard of this guy before and everything I hear about him now makes me think "Why couldn't we have the guy who said he was David Duke without the baggage or the guy who covered up sexual assault of teenagers?"

It is also so weird how all of a sudden everyone rallied behind him as well even though he finished 2nd in their secret ballot of 5. I am fully expecting all kinds of fuckery from this guy as well.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

seiferguy posted:

My parents grow marionberries, and occasionally give us some. I've made cobbler out of it and it's fuckin delicious.

Basically just blackberries, but... bigger.

man...I really thought this was a racist joke for a second and I was shocked. Turns out marionberries are a real thing I've never heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Barry

kiimo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 26, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

I know Fiz is a real actual doctor but the optics of "don't take your medication because a doctor on a football forum said not to" are pretty funny

No he's not

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

FizFashizzle posted:

Also any of the medications that would "help with her memory" can make parkinsonian symptoms worse.

Also at her age she should not be on any of them anyway. So if she's being put on something by a primary care called..

Donepezil (aricept)
Rivastigmine (exelon)
Memantine (Namenda)
Atomoxetine (Strattera)

tell her not to take them please.

Or if she's being started on a dopamine agonist like...

ropinirole (requip)
pramipexole (mirapex)

same thing.

Can we not give out sketchy medical advice online with no credentials

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Swickles IS the real actual doctor. Please stop with this

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Fiz is a licensed PA with experience in neurology and Alzheimer's. He is fully qualified to weigh in on this. His advice isn't wrong, but should be taken as general advice and something to ask the treating physician about, as is any advice I give. Neither of us has read the chart, taken a history, or performed any exam. There is no consent to treat or a Health Care Provider/ Patient relationship.

Anything posted on these forums by any medical professionals should be treated as guidance for you to use in getting the best possible treatment from your or your loved ones ACTUAL doctor whom there is a relationship with.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

wandler20 posted:

It happened/is happening. Snow blower still runs like a champ. Will probably change the oil in it today. Kids were furious school didn't get cancelled. Free day to myself.

I no longer have to snow blow a narrow rear end driveway sandwiched between two houses leaving you nowhere to go with the snow so bring that poo poo on!

(Too bad our condo’s snow removal guy sucks rear end and sometimes doesn’t show up until a full week after it snows :mad:)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kiimo posted:

man...I really thought this was a racist joke for a second and I was shocked. Turns out marionberries are a real thing I've never heard of.

Marionberries are genetically cultivated from blackberries, and the name comes from them originating in Marion County, Oregon. It's a PNW thing so I'm not surprised they're not as well known outside of the area.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

kiimo posted:

I just made that joke a couple posts ago. :mad:

As for berries, my favorite wild berries I found were huckleberries out in Indian Heaven Wilderness up in Washington.

There were some mushrooms too but cell phone reception was trash so we couldn't look them up in a timely manner.

It does mean I need to pick up a physical copy of this book for further backpacking adventures:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Great I just want to eat a ton of berries now. Maybe in a giant smoothie.

We're on day 2 of full time having some foster cats and it's going ok. The foster cats are adjusting well in the bedroom. My fluffy boy has been hissing at the new cats cat towers and has hissed and growled a little when he's smelt the new cats on me. My grey girl though seems to be fine and hasn't growled or hissed, neither have the foster kitties when I've come to hang with them after getting all rubbed up on and petting my resident cats.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I bought the Salt and Straw cookbook specifically for their Berry Series. Going to make so many berry ice creams in summer.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

yea ok posted:

No he's not
Whoops lol got the TFF medical people confused

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I kind of want to get a cat.

My friend (and fellow goon) Crosshatch just had their cat die recently and they're already thinking of replacing it, which got me thinking of getting a cat of my own. My housemate has a dog but she lives part-time with his mom. I'm just lazy and taking care of a pet seems a bit much for me.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Can we not give out sketchy medical advice online with no credentials

If you’re posting in chat thread how do you not know Fiz is a licensed PA? Seems like an odd stance to take. Did someone report his post? Lmao

And this is coming from the guy who constantly hammers home “talk to genuine licensed professionals not google searchers”

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 26, 2023

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

It does mean I need to pick up a physical copy of this book for further backpacking adventures:

What is the trumpet for?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My friend (and fellow goon) Crosshatch just had their cat die recently and they're already thinking of replacing it, which got me thinking of getting a cat of my own. My housemate has a dog but she lives part-time with his mom. I'm just lazy and taking care of a pet seems a bit much for me.

We just got a cat and it's been pretty easy so far. Only issue aside from buying all the cat crap is her inability to clean all the poop off her butt so far.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

C-Euro posted:

What is the trumpet for?

I think it's for luring in mushrooms like an elk call can attract elk.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

As a cat lady I will encourage this. If you go for a kitten you definitely should get two so they can play together, get their energy out together, and it can cut down on them doing stuff like biting your hands since they see them as toys.

Adult cats are great because their personalities are more evident. That way if you need a laid back, chill, lazy cat you know what you're getting. Senior and adult cats also have a harder time getting adopted.

Either way I think cats are great! They do need affection, play time, snuggles, etc. from their humans but they're also a bit better suited if you work longer hours, need to be away for bit, or have space issues. They are very different from dogs so you should adjust your expectations if you're more of a dog person. Getting a litter robot, while expensive, will also help a lot if you're a bit iffy on scooping poop.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If Fiz is a real doc he should prescribe me some Anavar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a spare cat, please take it, seriously I'm deadly serious someone anyone please take this extra cat

he's a very good boy, he wants you to pet him real bad

he has cat aids and is at least 8 years old and he sounds gross when he licks himself and he makes a mess when he eats, and these factors add up to "I can't mix him with my other cats" and also "nobody wants him."

At this point I'd drive him multiple states to get him a good home where he could snuggle and love his humans for the rest of his life, hopefully humans who can tolerate cleaning sprays of wet cat food off the walls near where he eats, and the gross noise he makes when he licks himself

also we've spent thousands of dollars on vet bills on him, he just got his teeth cleaned, he's now free of secret fleas and he may or may not have some sort of allergy but it's unclear