Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I loath the idea to pay 74 Euros for a year of having the privilege to write letters on my computer.

Don't think about it like that. It's 1TB of versioned cloud storage/backup that also includes word/excel.
and for 99 a year you get 6x1TB of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You can get 15GB of OneDrive for free.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

jokes posted:

You can get 15GB of OneDrive for free.
New accounts get 5GB now and you can only go up to a maximum of 15GB through referrals, ie. convincing another 20 people to sign up for onedrive. I don't know if there are criteria stopping you from just creating another 20 accounts yourself, but it seems like a hassle nonetheless.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah it takes like 20m. I did it years ago and never got close to using all 15 since

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 25, 2023

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can anyone recommend the most lightweight software for remapping keys to shortcuts on a per-program basis? The Keyboard Manager in Powertoys will let you remap individual keys globally, and let you remap shortcuts per-program, but won't let you remap a shortcut to an individual key per-program, for whatever dumb reason.

So, for a specific program, I'd like (as an example) to be able to press NumPad-1 and have the program register it as Right-Alt + Left-Arrow.

I know AHK exists, but considering it has a whole bunch of advanced functionality I don't need, I was hoping there was something with a lighter footprint that could do the basic things I need. Thanks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
An autohotkey script that is just some hotkeys and "what window is up front" detection will have a nigh zero footprint on any modern system

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

As of today, when launching the Windows Calender app, it now immediately closes and launches the "new" Outlook with no way to revert the change.
I did not opt in to "test the new Outlook", which was not supposed to be mandatory until 2024.

Thanks for something no one ever asked for.

I just want to click on the clock in the tray, add an appointment, click details for a slim calendar client if I need to add a reminder. Is that too much to ask?
I mean, yeah, the Windows Calendar was also trash, but it worked quick and easy enough.

I don't want another email client. Which of course links into my google account and pulls mails from there as well (and, let's be real, probably "analyzes" them for a "better user experience"), because that's where my calender data is.

Oh, and yup, there's email ads in the inbox now as well.
Clicking on the spam mail's menu button offers a "No more advertisements" option that takes me immediately to an order page for "365 basic" without even explaining what that actually is (other than $1.99/mo).

JFC.

Oh wait, it gets better. Every single time I click on an entry in the tray clock/calendar widget, it opens another instance of Outlook.

If I just plain and simple add and save an entry in the widget without clicking "Details", it saves the appointment in the widget, but it doesn't show up in Outlook! The widget just plain does not sync with my google account any longer, the appointment is nowhere else to be found.

Mousewheel up/down in Outlook doesn't scroll through weeks or months.
Neither does up/down arrow or Pgup/Pgdwn.
Nope, you need to click on the month dropdown to change the current month.

Is there a way to link the clock/calendar widget to a different external Calendar app that actually works?

Uninstalling "Outlook (new)" pops up an dialog stating I need a newer app to open that msoutlook-links when I try to open an appointment from the widget.

Getting irrationally angry about this poo poo.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 25, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Quixzlizx posted:

Can anyone recommend the most lightweight software for remapping keys to shortcuts on a per-program basis? The Keyboard Manager in Powertoys will let you remap individual keys globally, and let you remap shortcuts per-program, but won't let you remap a shortcut to an individual key per-program, for whatever dumb reason.

So, for a specific program, I'd like (as an example) to be able to press NumPad-1 and have the program register it as Right-Alt + Left-Arrow.

I know AHK exists, but considering it has a whole bunch of advanced functionality I don't need, I was hoping there was something with a lighter footprint that could do the basic things I need. Thanks.

Javid posted:

An autohotkey script that is just some hotkeys and "what window is up front" detection will have a nigh zero footprint on any modern system

Yeah AHK will do what you want. The best way to get a script put together is to literally type out exactly what you want the script to do into ChatGPT and it will write it for you.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Getting irrationally angry about this poo poo.

There is absolutely nothing irrational about it. Most modern devs should be hung by their tendons.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

As far as ads in the inbox go, there a setting to turn it into a static banner instead. Also the content of this banner seems to currently be blocked by using the adguard dns server.

I think I had to reauthenticate my google account to work with the new outlook because as far as google knows it's new software. Might explain sync issues?

But yeah over all one of the more infuriating software experiences of the last few years.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think I had to reauthenticate my google account to work with the new outlook because as far as google knows it's new software. Might explain sync issues?

I authenticated Outlook to give it access to my Google stuff.
It has all my calendar entries, just not the one I entered into the widget.

It also doesn't work in reverse, new calendar entries made in Outlook don't show up in the clock/calendar widget any longer.
My old calendar entries still show up there, curiously enough.

The tray icon calendar is just completely unusable now.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks, I was able to get AHK to do what I wanted it to do, although I did it myself since I don't trust ChatGPT with anything I don't already have a working knowledge of when it comes to coding/scripting, since I'll have no clue whether there's some sort of subtle mistake that will cause errors or horrible things to happen.

The scripting of the keys themselves was easy enough, although I was significantly tripped up by #IfWinActive being deprecated in 2.0. I was going nuts trying to figure out why AHK was giving me an unrecognized command error until I eventually found a Google result that informed me that I needed #HotIf WinActive instead. (Having different syntax for different versions and not knowing to emphasize that in a prompt would've led my astray there, too, since it seems like the vast majority of online results refer to 1.1.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks, I was able to get AHK to do what I wanted it to do, although I did it myself since I don't trust ChatGPT with anything I don't already have a working knowledge of when it comes to coding/scripting, since I'll have no clue whether there's some sort of subtle mistake that will cause errors or horrible things to happen.

The scripting of the keys themselves was easy enough, although I was significantly tripped up by #IfWinActive being deprecated in 2.0. I was going nuts trying to figure out why AHK was giving me an unrecognized command error until I eventually found a Google result that informed me that I needed #HotIf WinActive instead. (Having different syntax for different versions and not knowing to emphasize that in a prompt would've led my astray there, too, since it seems like the vast majority of online results refer to 1.1.)

You could have also done it in AutoIt, if the syntax appeals more. For some reason it's not as talked about despite being older. I used it before ahk existed :shrug:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 25, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've had to digitally sign two fillable PDFs recently by filling them out in Acrobat Pro, cursing at it because it won't let me sign under any circumstances, using Microsoft print to PDF to save an unfillable copy, then signing that. Is this the fault of whoever created the form forgetting to make a fillable signature field or what? It still seems ludicrous that Acrobat won't let you sign the original.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HalloKitty posted:

You could have also done it in AutoIt, if the syntax appeals more. For some reason it's not as talked about despite being older. I used it before ahk existed :shrug:

AHK split from AutoIt, back when AutoIt 3 came out and totally changed their syntax. The majority of the community went to AHK because their legacy scripts worked and AHK was providing better hotkey flexibility.

Autohotkey for a long time kept the legacy syntax for old stuff, but gradually added more modern function-style syntax as they added features. Until eventually L took over as lead dev and released v2, which deprecated some of the oldest & worst junk.

So like AutoIt was right that the syntax sucked and needed to be fixed... but did it the wrong way. (Both too fast a change, but also picking VBscript as a model :vomit:.) And then went closed-source, so now it's far less powerful than AHK.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

I've had to digitally sign two fillable PDFs recently by filling them out in Acrobat Pro, cursing at it because it won't let me sign under any circumstances, using Microsoft print to PDF to save an unfillable copy, then signing that. Is this the fault of whoever created the form forgetting to make a fillable signature field or what? It still seems ludicrous that Acrobat won't let you sign the original.

I'm really confused at why 'signing a PDF' has a ritual around it. More then once, I've pulled PDFs into Affinity Photo to draw a signature on them because the PDF editors treat signing like it's a loving magic trick or something.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can always use old autohotkey if their random nonsensical syntax changes are tripping you up http://www.oldversion.com/windows/autohotkey/

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Surface Pro 7. I used computer as normal today. I left it plugged in at my desk before dinner. After dinner I try to turn it on. I get to the main Windows splash screen and it says it can not turn on camera. (annoying error that happens occasionally and I just sign in with PIN instead) It won't go beyond that step and let me put my PIN in.

I have tried booting to safe mode. It will not let me get to prompt to input PIN in safe mode either.

I have tried the start up repair function and the uninstall update options.

Windows loads right up to Windows Hello. Says I need to sign in with my PIN. Never gives me a box to type in my PIN. Anything I can try? I don't even know how to search for this problem.

Here's a screenshot of the furthest I can get to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Can you even blow away Windows login creds if you don't know your MS account info / pin with ye olde Offline NT Password Manager? Or are you now firmly in 'Format C:' territory?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Maybe you can boot with a password reset tool like microsoft dart (erd for the olds)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You should be able to enable safe mode in BIOS. Webcam will be disabled in safe mode, so that might let you use your pin and try troubleshooting from there. I can't read :downs: that's weird!

Perhaps it's also possible to change your preferred log-in method by logging into your MS account on another computer? E: to be clear, by accessing your account in a browser and selecting manage devices or something similar. Should show all the computers associated with your account.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 26, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It’s more of a hassle than it used to be, but if you reset the device and enter “OOBE\BYPASSNRO” into a command prompt during OOBE it will let you log on with a local account.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your screenshot shows that you aren't connected to the internet, do you get more options when you are connected?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
No, I can connect to my network. It doesn't change anything. I can get to a command prompt when I startup. I can't get to the actual windows login.

So which "reset this PC" option lets me keep all my work files?

EDIT: Yes I realize that reset question was dumb. I just would really prefer to not lose my files. :)

Also, I can get into the BIOS when the window logo appears and turn off the webcams. It doesn't change the login screens at all. I still get to the same spot where it's asking for a PIN, but not getting to a box where I can type.

Hdip fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 26, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Without meaning to sound glib, the one that says 'Reinstall (keep my files and programs)'

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you can get a command prompt, can you get an admin/elevated privileges prompt and do... something? Not clear on what you can/should do, I just have vague memories of using some hack to make the accessibility tool in the login screen start an elevated command prompt when I had a similar password issue (which gave me serious concerns about Windows security).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I don't actually remember what catch 22 problem on my surface pro 4 got solved by either connecting or disconnecting the keyboard cover. Also putting your thumb over the camera ( e: I guess the infrared sensor) so it doesn't recognize you might offer different login options maybe?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Last-ditch ideas here but is it actually rebooting, rather than going to sleep and then waking again? Can you give it a reboot from the login screen, or a long hold of the power button reset?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you can get to a command prompt, how? What inputs is it accepting and are there any it's abnormally rejecting?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I would hold the power button to force a restart 3 times in a row. On the 3rd time it would go into a startup repair menu. I could get to a command prompt in there.

I did the reset and keep my files option. It turns on normally now. I did have 1 weird reset when using it. But I got my work software reinstalled and should make it through the work day at least which was my #1 priority today. So thanks guys.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eXXon posted:

I just have vague memories of using some hack to make the accessibility tool in the login screen start an elevated command prompt when I had a similar password issue (which gave me serious concerns about Windows security).

It's no more or less of a security problem than booting from a usb stick with anything that can read / alter files on the disk.

If you're not using disk encryption, it's assumed you don't care about local security. If you are using disk encryption, with settings such that the disk stays locked until you enter a PIN / password, than none of these tricks will work. (I'm guessing if windows refused to show the PIN screen in that situation, you'd need the recovery key to even get to safe mode.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm really confused at why 'signing a PDF' has a ritual around it. More then once, I've pulled PDFs into Affinity Photo to draw a signature on them because the PDF editors treat signing like it's a loving magic trick or something.

There are two entirely different things that are both known as "signing a pdf" and live near each other in acrobat. One stamps a picture of your handwriting into a pdf, and the other puts a certificate-based signature (in the public key cryptography sense) on it plus a visual indicator that may optionally contain a picture of your handwriting.

The latter can be a decently secure proof that it was signed by someone with access to your signing key and not changed afterwards, and actually deserves a bit of ceremony - and it leaves the document read only, because changing it means the signature doesn't match up anymore. The exception may be further certificate signatures; I think their implementation allows for that.

Which does not explain why you can't sign an arbitrary pdf, unless it already had a certificate signature and you were trying to add a picture-of-handwriting one.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
After major updates Windows 11 goes through the whole spiel of asking about interests, offering Office, etc. which is especially annoying when this happens to old relatives I can't help immediately.

I seem to remember you can turn that off, but I can't seem to find it again. Was that only possible for Win 10? Thanks.

EDIT: It was options/config - system - notifications - additional notifications - turn off those three options

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 26, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My mother asking me "do I want that?" after she sees any advertisement on her computer or phone ever

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The W11 notification shade is actually nicer than the W10 one, but I have to keep turning off notifications for programs because 90% of them are spam garbage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Browsers really need to change the way they handle sites asking to use notifications to make it a tiny option in a menu that you can choose to enable on sites that offer it, it should not trigger a dialog asking users whether they want to get them

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Thanks Ants posted:

Browsers really need to change the way they handle sites asking to use notifications to make it a tiny option in a menu that you can choose to enable on sites that offer it, it should not trigger a dialog asking users whether they want to get them

In every modern browser, you can set notifications to be blocked by default in settings.

Then you can just manually enable them on any sites you want.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

101 posted:

In every modern browser, you can set notifications to be blocked by default in settings.

Then you can just manually enable them on any sites you want.

drat, I had no idea about this. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now browsers just need to set it to off by default because it's a horrible feature that never should have been implemented and I would guess not very many people actually use them.

Or delete the code for them entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I use browser notifications for Outlook/Teams, but that's it.

My above comment was about my own programs/OS trying to spam me with bullshit, not websites. And I don't have a problem with just disabling them, but it's annoying when a program has a useful notification or two I might want to see, but I have to disable everything because it's not worth dealing with the "try this feature!" spam from the program.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 31, 2023