Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

First Past the Post rulez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
love how reliable it is that who's leader of the cons doesn't matter and they can keep picking lunatics as leaders if they want because everybody knows eventually the country will get fed up enough with the liberals that they'll vote for literally anybody else

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

eventually the country will get fed up enough with the liberals that they'll vote for literally anybody else

except the ndp, lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

apatheticman posted:

All nations are bad.

All glory to the mole people.

Idk first nations are pretty cool

Second and up not so much tho

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
well the liberals lost my luggage that one time so I'm never flying liberal again

(workshopping my airline metaphor of government)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think all of the ejecting the left wing/two right wings jokes have been made, maybe there's some less explored territory in flight delay compensation.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Turns out the only black MPP left in the ONDP (Jama is the 5th they've lost in as many years, only one of whom was defeated electorally) was not part of the party consensus to remove her colleague:

https://twitter.com/JILLSLASTWORD/status/1717224358857294208

I did not guess Stiles would prove a less competent leader than Horwath

Love the comments as always. Very cool left wing party

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Women have gone too far,somebody needs to stop them

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

vyelkin posted:

love how reliable it is that who's leader of the cons doesn't matter and they can keep picking lunatics as leaders if they want because everybody knows eventually the country will get fed up enough with the liberals that they'll vote for literally anybody else

by literally anyone else you mean the slightly more conservative version of the same thing

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
should women still be allowed to vote? justin trudeau with the argument for a radical voting change next on the national

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vassy kapelos SAYS: poor women and chud women shouldn't be allowed to vote

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

should women still be allowed to vote? justin trudeau with the argument for a radical voting change next on the national

pfft yeah c'mon I know better than to fall for his electoral reform promises once again

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
bienvenue au manada.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

it’s “in all thy sons command” it’s what the founders wanted

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

frankly, I think it really should only be owners of land that should be able to vote!!

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I for one welcome our new landed gentry overlords

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

New?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.thestar.com/politics/fe...5e409d7a37.html

quote:

Private government emails reveal Palestinian Canadians’ frustrations with Global Affairs Canada: ‘Don’t know when I will die’

Emails show Canadians in Gaza and the West Bank are pressing Ottawa for updates after days of silence, emails mistakenly providing them with evacuation procedures meant for Israeli Canadians, and unclear advice for visa applications.

OTTAWA— “I am still in Gaza and don’t know when I will die.”

“Children are hungry..scared..thirsty..sick. Need ur government help to get them out of Rafah.”

"Why is the government silent!!! Get us out already.”

In Global Affairs Canada’s emergency email inbox, words of fear and desperation from Palestinian Canadians abound.

The messages paint a picture of Palestinian Canadians growing increasingly frustrated with Ottawa’s evacuation response and a federal department grappling with communication woes and a lack of answers.

The federal department’s “SOS” email address, which is intended for use by Canadians who require emergency aid abroad, has seen a surge in messages since the Israel-Hamas war began and left countries scrambling to evacuate citizens and their families from the region.

The Star has viewed email chains between GAC staff, Canadians trapped in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank, and their relatives in Canada. The emails were shared by a government source the Star is not identifying because they fear reprisals from their workplace.

Across the messages, there are common threads: Canadians in Gaza and the West Bank pressing the government for updates after days of silence, emails mistakenly providing them with evacuation procedures meant for Israeli Canadians, and unclear advice for visa applications.

Global Affairs Canada did not respond to the Star’s requests for comment on the frustrations outlined in this story.

“Please provide me with a more accurate response. I cannot take more confusion which is stressing me out more,” wrote Nebras Qaradeh, a Canadian from Ottawa who was in Gaza visiting his Palestinian wife when the war broke out. Qaradeh agreed to be named in this story after he was contacted by the Star.

Since Oct. 7, Canada has helped almost 1,600 people leave Israel on 19 assisted departure flights. On Monday, due to the success of those efforts and the availability of commercial options, the government offered its final such flight.

But the situation in Gaza and the West Bank is vastly different. To date, the government has only evacuated 57 Canadians, permanent residents and their families from the West Bank, and none from Gaza, which has been pounded by Israeli airstrikes and cut off from most critical supplies since Hamas militants launched a deadly attack in Israel and captured more than 200 hostages.

The conflict has claimed the lives of more than 7,000 Palestinians, the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry says, and more than 1,400 people in Israel, say Israeli officials, according to the Associated Press, which has not independently verified all death tolls.

Global Affairs says 451 Canadians are currently registered in Gaza and the West Bank, and that it has responded to nearly 9,000 inquiries for help. Of that number, 430 people in Gaza and 76 in the West Bank are currently receiving assistance.

Two weeks ago, hope for a potential evacuation through the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt was extinguished after Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said “violence” in the area caused the operation to be scrapped. She said around 40 families — made up of 160 Canadians and their relatives — had been seeking safe passage through the crossing.

Canada is now calling for “humanitarian pauses” in the fighting that would allow aid into Gaza — and for citizens and foreign nationals to get out.

On Wednesday, Global Affairs said it was working “around the clock” to help Canadians there.

“We continue to communicate directly with Canadians, giving them the latest information regarding the situation and windows for possible exit at the Rafah border crossing,” the statement said.
Some of the emails viewed by the Star — and interviews with the Canadians penning those pleas — suggest otherwise.

A week’s worth of emails between Qaradeh and GAC staff detail his struggles to confirm how his wife, who is not a Canadian citizen, would be able to travel with him if the border crossing opened.

He was sent links about obtaining a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization, despite conveying that those options did not feel appropriate for his family’s emergency circumstances. A visitor visa, for example, may require providing biometrics, and is typically for people travelling for tourism, business or family purposes. While GAC attempted to address Qaradeh’s concerns, staff also repeatedly sent him the same links directing him to irrelevant parts of the application process instead of directly answering his questions. On one day, he was told by an apologetic staff member that he did not need to apply for a visitor visa, only to be told two days later that he should.

Early on in the email chain, he also received a pre-written template response reminding him that GAC “has been advising Canadians not to travel to Gaza for many years,” and that based on existing travel advice, those who choose to visit “may be unable to leave.”

In email and WhatsApp communication with the Star, Qaradeh, who is sheltering in Gaza City and has extremely limited internet access, said he no longer knows what to do.

“Rockets everywhere. No water, no bread. No electricity. We are barely surviving,” he wrote on Thursday.

Confusion over necessary documentation is only part of the problem.

In numerous cases, GAC staff were left apologizing after erroneously sending evacuation instructions intended for people in Israel to Canadians who said they or their loved ones were located in Gaza and the West Bank.
“I have made it clear we are on the list for Gaza,” one woman wrote in response to one such email, which outlined the steps for accessing free flights from Tel Aviv to Athens.

“Canadians are now in Gaza fighting for their lives while fighting to find water and food!!! How insensitive are these emails?”

The woman, who lives in London, Ont., was sending the emails on behalf of her father, a Canadian citizen stuck in Gaza after travelling there to enjoy his retirement and take care of his ailing mother. She agreed to speak to the Star about her experience as long as her family’s identity was protected. Many people the Star spoke to for this story requested the same.

The woman relayed a series of frustrating conversations with GAC staff, including requests for information she had already provided and going days without receiving responses. She said her father and his brothers are now living in a tent with limited access to food and water to evade airstrikes.

Another man in Hamilton, writing to GAC seeking help for his parents — both Canadian citizens in Gaza who travelled to see family members — also received evacuation instructions for those in Israel.

Aside from being confusing, the man told the Star that reading the email stung because it is next to impossible for most Palestinians in Gaza to travel out of Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport.

“I’m like, oh my God, are they not knowing what’s going on in Palestine right now?” he said in a phone interview.

“Especially at this time, you’re telling my parents to go there? That’s a death trap.”

But what particularly hurts for the Hamilton man and his family is that his parents have lived in Canada for more than 25 years: it’s where they built businesses and raised their children.

He, like many others the Star spoke to, said he wants to see the Canadian government improve its communication and exert more pressure on the Egyptian and Israeli governments to secure safe passage for those who want to leave Gaza.
“Today, I’m able to talk to my mom to hear her voice. Tomorrow, God knows,” he said.

“I’m talking to her (for) five minutes on the phone, and I hear a loud bomb … I thought they were gone when I was talking to them on the phone. My heart dropped. I started crying.”

Disappointment in being let down by the country she now calls home has become a familiar feeling for a Toronto-area woman, who spoke to the Star about finding her own way out of a village near Nablus in the West Bank.

“As an update, I left the West Bank, unfortunately the delays of evacuating the Canadians from the West Bank made me have to take my own decision, and take the risk of evacuating on my own,” she wrote in an Oct. 23 email to GAC. “So please take me off your list of the SOS.”

The woman had gone to the West Bank to visit her mother and siblings and had planned to leave the day Israel formally declared war against Hamas.

She also received messages telling her to depart from Israel, and dealt with days of no responses and assurances that went nowhere, before she started receiving daily calls asking if she was still interested in leaving.

Without clear advice on how she could leave, the woman hopped in a taxi with several others and travelled to Jordan without protection. While she successfully departed Amman and arrived in Ontario earlier this week, she said the experience was “terrifying” and “horrible.”

“I don’t appreciate how the Canadian government dealt with the situation. We are humans, too,” she said.

“I’m Canadian. I pay taxes. I follow the rules in this country and I’m supposed to be protected.”

The woman said that repeated messages from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government that its officials are working tirelessly to address the crisis now feel like they are “mainly for show.”

“I am glad I was able to get out, as dangerous as it was. If people are to try next week, they may not be so lucky or it may not be possible at all,” she wrote in a followup email to the Star.

“They (could) become stuck because of false hopes provided by these press releases (and very little real communication to those that matter — those on the ground).”

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

but do they condemn hamas?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

vyelkin posted:

canada is bad

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Looking into it

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

ben shapino posted:

Looking into it

gotta do your own research

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Awful. Of course we're just following the Americans in this, allowing our citizens to die because Israel's throwing a genocidal temper tantrum.

In Canadian tragedy terms, how many Michaels is this?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Half Michael, at most. Fraction of a Humbolt Bronco.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

hmm interesting but have they considered that Israel has a right to defend itself?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

vyelkin posted:

West Edmonton Mall Poop-Eater for Prime Minister.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Glimpse posted:

Half Michael, at most. Fraction of a Humbolt Bronco.

The metric Humboldt broncos bus is the proper unit of measure

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

canada is bad

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

Turns out the only black MPP left in the ONDP (Jama is the 5th they've lost in as many years, only one of whom was defeated electorally) was not part of the party consensus to remove her colleague:

https://twitter.com/JILLSLASTWORD/status/1717224358857294208

I did not guess Stiles would prove a less competent leader than Horwath

Stiles put out a constituency email yesterday clarifying that she didn't turf Jama because of her comments, but because she was being uppity and not listening to her boss. Thanks Marit, very cool, unsubscribe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
brandishing the "chain of command"

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

BC NDP cut the legs out on a woman of colour who sold more memberships than Eby and therefore looked poised to win, Anjali Appadurai. I bought a membership to vote for her and now the party sends fundraising emails all the time.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cant believe the party intervened to prevent a nobody from becoming premier

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

corgiwizard posted:

BC NDP cut the legs out on a woman of colour who sold more memberships than Eby and therefore looked poised to win, Anjali Appadurai. I bought a membership to vote for her and now the party sends fundraising emails all the time.

Can't have too much democracy when choosing our leadership.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

ZShakespeare posted:

Can't have too much democracy when choosing our leadership.

Exactly. This is NEW democracy.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Juul-Whip posted:

cant believe the party intervened to prevent a nobody from becoming premier

Wasn’t quite a nobody, she very nearly won a federal seat in 2021. Anyway, my point isn’t that it’s surprising that an NDP would be lovely, it’s that they’re all lovely.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

except the ndp, lol

the ndp have my vote by default and they still work hard to lose it

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lots of nobodies “nearly” won seats. we don’t talk about most of them for obvious reasons

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

lots of nobodies win seats too

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
democracy is ok as long as you only vote for those who promise to do nothing at all or those who promise to make things worse for others out of spite

it’s what the people want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

lots of nobodies “nearly” won seats. we don’t talk about most of them for obvious reasons

lol

This is loving funny given how often parties manage the ascension of their chosen successors.

There are no principles at play here, just clique politics and preservation of power brokers