Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Right, I am clearly talking PC VR, a thing you would need windows for on the Deck (not that it could really run it anyway), or any PC for that matter

Obviously the OS that ships on a standalone headset can run said headset

Someone on Reddit posted a video of HL: Alyx running off a Deck onto a Quest. It was running at like 30 frames though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I used desktop mode to add custom art for Cyberpunk as a non-steam game I stream to the deck. What else is it good for?

Leaving game mode seems like wanting to access the code on a Gameboy. I’m sure someone wants to and would have fun but I can’t imagine why, personally.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's good for tinkering with things you can't do easily, or at all on the Deck's game mode proper.

Also you need it for things like Decky and Cryotools as those are CLI only.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Someone posted a shortcut a page or two ago to get to a terminal from game mode, so you technically don't need desktop mode for that.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I used desktop mode to add custom art for Cyberpunk as a non-steam game I stream to the deck. What else is it good for?

Leaving game mode seems like wanting to access the code on a Gameboy. I’m sure someone wants to and would have fun but I can’t imagine why, personally.

Occasionally updating emulators or other packages from the Discover package manager and doing unnecessary-but-helpful tweaks like setting up cryotools I guess?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xreal announced the Air 2s ($400) and the Air 2 Pro ($450), with the only real upgrades being the new audio and on the Pros you get an electrochromic filter to shade the glasses instead of needing to use the cover. Other than that you're getting the same experience so definitely not worth the upgrade if you have the Airs. I was hoping we'd have a more "visor" like thing with a larger FOV so we could have bigger screens.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anything with power pass through and 1080p60 output will be fine.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Generally speaking any given dock will work fine. Really your choice is between about 40 bucks using your own charger or 100 to get valves and get a second charger.

That said, if you're using StepMania you might want to look into a dock that allows you to add some m2 SSD memory. Or a Beefy Micro SD Card, ether works.

Man, I should get back into StepMania.

Thanks guys I'll probably just grab the official - I remembered some grumblings about it and some third party one being better, but all I'm really gonna use it for is stepmania so if it works fine for that I'll just roll with it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

sigher posted:

Xreal announced the Air 2s ($400) and the Air 2 Pro ($450), with the only real upgrades being the new audio and on the Pros you get an electrochromic filter to shade the glasses instead of needing to use the cover. Other than that you're getting the same experience so definitely not worth the upgrade if you have the Airs. I was hoping we'd have a more "visor" like thing with a larger FOV so we could have bigger screens.

Is it odd the fact I see YouTube channels doing full ads on this makes me lose more interest?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I use the Deck a lot as a gaming desktop since my laptop is useless for gaming, so the desktop mode gets a lot of use because it's fun to just dick around with stuff like Dosbox. I just did a Win98 install into PCem just to see if it worked. (It does!) There's very little black magic involved, it's just a functional desktop like Windows without the bullshit.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I mostly use desktop mode to get non-steam games working (which I can then launch from game mode once they’re set up).

Most recently I started using Lutris to install old junk from my GOG library.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

installing massive modlists for bethesda engine games and then never playing them as is the tradition

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wonder what Steam Deck performance for Alan Wake 2 will be like.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

I thought they were getting 120hz screens too?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I've actually ordered a pair of the Pro 2's along with the Beam and will be trying them out on Deck and phone when they arrive. Will post impressions here when I've taken them for a spin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Is it odd the fact I see YouTube channels doing full ads on this makes me lose more interest?

No, I feel the same. Like man you sure are paying a lot of Youtubers to show use cases for these.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wonder what Steam Deck performance for Alan Wake 2 will be like.

extremely bad i'd imagine

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beastie posted:

Someone on Reddit posted a video of HL: Alyx running off a Deck onto a Quest. It was running at like 30 frames though.

I'm usually good with 30fps, but in vr, isn't that completely not workable? I seem to recall some article talking about how low framerates in vr affect the player far more than on a regular screen.

Then again, back in 1994, I played Dactyl Nightmare at what seemed like 6fps, and I loved it (at the time).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

even 60fps for VR is wretched, 30 is nightmare stuff

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

30 is sickeningly bad in VR, Quests start at 72hz and thats like, the minimum that's comfortable. Any decent headset reprojects frames though so you can still look around comfortably even if the game isn't generating frames fast enough.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Trying to replace my hard drive, I missed two screws on the bottom when trying to separate the shell.

Every other screw came out fine, these two though are now stripped -_-

Anyone have tips for getting these bastards out. They are recessed in a tight space and I can't really get a rubber band or duct tape in there.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So how is MGS1 on Deck? Was it just 2 & 3 that were borked?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Bumhead posted:

It's as good as the normal PC version, which is to say not great. I also had crashes whenever I tried to play it docked but didn't look into it too much.

Also the fix for MGS2 / 3 is super simple, download one missing DLL and set a launch parameter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jYOoCxp_U4

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Bumhead posted:

It might be better to just play it in duckstation emulated to be honest, just to get a higher internal resolution than what's in the collection.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
MGS3 delta looks sick at least.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I dunno, it looks like every other UE5 “Konami hire this man”’crap youd see on YouTube to me. Imho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just got titanfall 2 on the sale and it runs and looks incredible on deck. I’ve played it loads over the years on PS4 and Series X but it’s always worth another run through. Great great FPS for under a fiver.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I'm not going to give Konami a single cent for trying to squeeze the last bit of money out of a franchise they already killed.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just got titanfall 2 on the sale and it runs and looks incredible on deck. I’ve played it loads over the years on PS4 and Series X but it’s always worth another run through. Great great FPS for under a fiver.

It started working for me like three nights ago on Experimental (thanks EA Launcher!!) and I was amazed by the amount of effects that were present on PC that did not make it to Xbox.

Also saying that Spider-Man looks loving amazing on deck and even runs amazing if you tweak it to the 40hz 40 frames sweet spot.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

vaginite posted:

What's the consensus good steam deck dock? I've heard mixed reviews on the official one. I want to hook up a dance pad to it and play stepmania, and being able to set up a little station in a spare room that I could hook my deck into would make my life a lot easier.

i mean, don't valve themselves sell one? id probably use that

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the official one is fine and gets firmware updates to fix edge cases which you probably will never get from a third-party one.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

i just finished the campaign and can confirm that it fuckin rips

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Trying to replace my hard drive, I missed two screws on the bottom when trying to separate the shell.

Every other screw came out fine, these two though are now stripped -_-

Anyone have tips for getting these bastards out. They are recessed in a tight space and I can't really get a rubber band or duct tape in there.

Not sure how you miss 2 out of about 8 screws that are all plain to see, yikes.

Some people swear by a rubber band on the screw between it and the screwdriver. Also super glue to the screwdriver but I've never tried that. Seems too easy to glue the shell to things in that tiny of a space.

I've always just drilled out stripped screws. Smaller than the head of the screw, for the bit size (about the size shank of the bolt if not slightly smaller). Left hand drill bits ideally that may catch the screw and unthread it for you. Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go... Or just live with less storage space and a big sd card.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you're drilling out stripped screws absolutely make sure you pull the battery first. You don't want metal shavings shorting something out and burning out the board.

Also make sure you give the board a good blast of air to make sure you clear away anything before you repower it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

It started working for me like three nights ago on Experimental (thanks EA Launcher!!) and I was amazed by the amount of effects that were present on PC that did not make it to Xbox.

I didn’t need to do any Proton changes to get it working!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you're drilling out stripped screws absolutely make sure you pull the battery first. You don't want metal shavings shorting something out and burning out the board.

Also make sure you give the board a good blast of air to make sure you clear away anything before you repower it.

Good luck pulling the battery while the case is still sealed because you stripped the screws you’re about to drill out.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if the screw is soft enough just use a hammer and a screwdriver to dent a new slot into it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've never played a Titanfall (and until recently, I kept getting it mixed up with Titan's Quest, which is QUITE different). Genuinely asking, what's great about it? I may pick it up.

Edit: ok, now I'm confused... What's that indie game, top down, 8-16bit aesthetic, where you only fight bosses? Because I thought that was Titan's Quest, and it is not. I'm so confused.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Titan Souls?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Yep, that's the one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never played a Titanfall (and until recently, I kept getting it mixed up with Titan's Quest, which is QUITE different). Genuinely asking, what's great about it? I may pick it up.

Edit: ok, now I'm confused... What's that indie game, top down, 8-16bit aesthetic, where you only fight bosses? Because I thought that was Titan's Quest, and it is not. I'm so confused.

Titanfall 1 is some absolute nothing online shooter.

Titanfall 2 on the other hand has one of the best singleplayer FPS campaigns in forever. It's made by ex-Infinity Ward devs. The story, as it where, is basically FPS Shootman gets control of a big mech. You go around doing really fun combat in and outside of the mech. There's really fast traversal (think Doom Eternal or BLOPS3), you can wallrun, double-jump, slide etc... They cribbed all the movement and shooting for Apex Legends.
The story is great, there's really fun time-jumping missions and it looks incredible, it runs on teh Source engine that Valve made.
It's easily one of the best FPS campaigns in years. I'd rate it up there with HL2