Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oh I thought it was natively supported. I was about to be like "that's an enormous feature, how did they not make a shitload of noise about it to the point where I haven't heard anything about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kith posted:

Oh I thought it was natively supported. I was about to be like "that's an enormous feature, how did they not make a shitload of noise about it to the point where I haven't heard anything about it"

The impression I got from videos and such is that SC2 is more or less in maintenance mode these days--despite being plenty active. But this was only a cursory look. I try not to look at anything related to Blizzard communities for too long because the toxicity makes SA's load-bearing slurs look like a Disney film.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, it's just custom maps using the dependency, not a fully supported feature. There's a pretty solid depth of them if that's what you're after, though. And none of that grinding up a dude to get the basic tools to make them function nonsense of the main co op mode.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tenebrais posted:

Okay now I know you're taking the piss

On one hand, that units looks like a scout, moves and shoots like a scout, and it's called the scout.

On the other hand it's not horribly overpriced and it has an actually good ground attack, so is it really a scout?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Warmachine posted:

The impression I got from videos and such is that SC2 is more or less in maintenance mode these days--despite being plenty active. But this was only a cursory look. I try not to look at anything related to Blizzard communities for too long because the toxicity makes SA's load-bearing slurs look like a Disney film.

FWIW I got into co-op last year and the community seems extremely chill for the most part. I've done >500 matchmaking games (I don't think there's a way of getting an accurate count after the 500 match achievement?) and I think I've had one guy who was outright offensive and one guy deliberately teamkill me and throw the game and that's it. Occasionally I get someone who's just barely playing, I'm guessing bots or boosters hoping for a carry, but that's pretty rare too. I've had way more people happy to have a friendly chat, give genuine advice when I'm struggling with a new prestige or mutation, or even offer free carries to for powerlevelling.

There's a couple of shithead regulars in lobby chat but that's easy enough to ignore, and admittedly I've not really pushed brutal+ so maybe people get pissier at the top level?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, it's just custom maps using the dependency, not a fully supported feature. There's a pretty solid depth of them if that's what you're after, though. And none of that grinding up a dude to get the basic tools to make them function nonsense of the main co op mode.

There's a custom map series that has something like twelve new fan-made commanders, and all it really taught me is that starting with everything unlocked is a great way to end up giving too much information all at once. The normal progression is a tad slow, and prestige progression takes way too long, but I honestly found that better than getting thrown into the deep end with a new commander with a bunch of mechanics I've never seen or used before.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

JackSplater posted:

There's a custom map series that has something like twelve new fan-made commanders, and all it really taught me is that starting with everything unlocked is a great way to end up giving too much information all at once. The normal progression is a tad slow, and prestige progression takes way too long, but I honestly found that better than getting thrown into the deep end with a new commander with a bunch of mechanics I've never seen or used before.

External progression as a learning curve is fine, but that's not what the co op mode does. Key parts of the core stuff that makes a commander work just aren't there for a while on a lot of commanders in a way that's just not fun to play.

Swann is probably one of the less extreme examples, but there's no learning curve for multilock targeting on goliaths. It's just a passive that defines how the unit works, and yet Swann has to reach level 7/15 before he can touch it, so one of his bread and bitter units is kneecapped for all that time with no real gain.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fun Fact: The Goliath's Multi-Lock Weapon System works by replacing the ground weapon with a passive turret (similar to the Diamondback's weapon) that's permanently locked in the forward position, creating the illusion that the unit still has a natural weapon there. Because of this solution, the Goliath's ground attack animation is rendered inert since the unit does not have a turret animation, meaning that sometimes your Goliaths will do an idle animation where they get bored and look around while shooting Zerglings and Zealots full of holes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

you don't need multilock targeting on goliaths until you're playing Brutal, which you don't need to do at lower levels. same goes for other commanders' power spikes

it's a design trade-off, sure, but it doesn't make them unplayable

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The question wasn't does it make him unplayable. The question was does it make him noticeably weaker in a way that reduces fun. And the answer to that question is absolutely yes. The second question was is there any benefit or payoff to this? And the answer to that is no, not really outside of the skinner box dopamine hit from leveling up. This leads to question number 3 which is why is it an unlockable in the first place then.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

multilock isn't even Swann's best upgrade. vespene harvesters, tech reactors, pulse cannon, multi-SCV construction... but it's the goliath upgrade that makes him noticeably weaker in a way that reduces fun?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

we haven't seen any co-op stuff or unique heroes or anything in this let's play yet, please argue about it somewhere else

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
When did the co-op stuff get added to the game? I remember it being there by the time I stopped playing SC2, which was about when I finished the LotV campaign, but I'm hazy on the details and I don't think it was there when LotV was actually released.

I definitely know that the custom game modes available hadn't yet hit War3 levels of attention by the time I quit. Seems like most of the really good stuff showed up years later, maybe because it took folks that long to figure out galaxy editor. Galaxy editor had zero documentation or help of any sort for a long time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Artifact 5: Maw of the Void

Video: Maw of the Void

Tychus is having a sudden change of heart, considering a few minutes ago he was advocating for putting a bullet in Kerrigan's head.

There's the first rip-field Valerian talked about.

Got it.

Yet another quick moment to clear out my base with the new toys.

Battlecruisers have gotten a bit of a revamp since SC1. Gone are the slow, single shots.

Instead they rapid fire weaker shots, which looks much more impressive.

That green fire-like effect is the Rip-Field chipping away at my forces, dealing 2-3 damage every half second or so. The Tal'darim are unaffected by it thanks to their shields, but specifically because of their shields. The moment it hits zero they'll start taking life damage until their shields start to recover.

And as always-

Yamato Cannons are always the correct option.

The really annoying thing is that my starting Starport doesn't come with an add-on, forcing me to waste time and money just to be able to make my new toy.

The icons on the map are the other Rip-Field Generators, with the circles around them being their range.

And this is another mission where most of my money will come from caches.

Although there are a small handful of enemies here to keep me away from them.

Since Battlecruisers are expensive at 400/300 a pop and take 110 seconds to build, I have a lot of time to build up my base.

Once I get another two out I head to the nearest Generator.

Battlecruisers are the only real choice for this mission if you aren't using Orbital Drop cheese to completely bypass the map. Smaller air units don't have the health to withstand the Rip-Field and any defenders near the Generator itself, and ground units have to contend with all the powerful protoss anti-ground units like Immortals and Colossi. Maybe two Hercules loaded with Thors, but their anti-air attack doesn't do much against Armored enemies so Void Rays and Carriers will tear through them.

Destroying the first Generator kicks off a cutscene.

The Tal'darim have imprisoned all who oppose them. Release us and we will gladly fight at your side against them.

And now we have the bonus objective: Free some Dark Templar from their wack-rear end crystal prisons.

But first, I send those Science Vessels I made earlier to go patch up my BCs while they clear out the expansion.

There are a lot of caches on the high ground.

I have a few options on how to grab them. I could use a dude in a Medivac, I could send over a single Viking and land it (if I had them)...

Or go for a tactical MULE drop.

Meanwhile things at my main are uh...

Uh...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Just fine, the Archon got stuck between all my buildings and decided to slap my CC instead of anything else.

Let's not have a repeat of that.

Each prison nets me three Dark Templar. Since they have shields, they can run around inside the Rip-Fields with no issues.

Thanks to the gap between my base, the enemy has to do honest to god drops to attack me.

I'll position my BCs right on their path and send my new Dark Templar on an adventure.

Not only can I thin out the defenders, I can grab a bunch of caches!

I also move my base over, now that my starting minerals are fully mined out.

The expansion had the only Nexus and Probes in this entire mission, so they can't rebuild any production I knock out.

Wow rude.

While fending off these two Carriers, my DTs knock out the second Generator.

Starting another cutscene.

Detectors start to show up after this point, so the DTs can't do much more on their own.

I made one (1) Medivac to ferry some defenders and spare SCVs over to the expansion.

While getting my defenses up I get the second prison. Even if I can't keep attacking their stuff, I can still place them on the path to my base so they'll automatically go after any ground forces sent to attack.

While all this has been going on that Mothership has just been floating around, and this one is stronger than the one Artanis had during In Utter Darkness. Thankfully, it'll never be sent out to attack my base, and will instead just randomly wander their side of the map.

Oh drat the outhouse is here too. That guy's really been getting around.

Anyways, you may have noticed that I'm 20 minutes into the mission and still nowhere close to done.

And that's because Maw of the Void is long. I have to sloooooooooooowly build up my fleet (110 seconds per head, remember!), then my Battlecruisers have to sloooooooooooowly move up to a Generator, destroy it, then sloooooooooooowly pull back so they can be repaired.

It's a fun time when you first play it, making a massive fleet of BCs and steamrolling the map.

But on repeat playthroughs it just takes ages.

Like, look at the damage on my BCs.

It takes a while for them to get patched up between fights. Several minutes of the mission consists of just puttering around while my Science Vessels get to work.

I could send in SCVs to speed things up, but an expensive unit means expensive repair costs, which can easily end up in me burning the cost of several BCs just to keep my army standing.

Then I go hit another prison.

Another Generator.

Then knock out some detection on my way up the map.

Get the last prison.

Fight my way over to the second-last Generator.

Lose a BC because two Carriers found it while it was flying over.

Have those same Carriers run into another BC.

And the AI decided to drop units at the tip of my old base???

You stop that.

As long as the BCs knock out any Photon Cannons they run into during an attack, Dark Templar pretty much have the run of the place. They can't do anything about the Vault or the Mothership, but every bit of production they knock out is a permanent cut to what they can send at me.

Now to hit the final Generator, and then the Vault.

The Mothership will teleport back to the Vault the absolute millisecond you hit it. It also spawns in a few ships to back it up, but they instantly fall under the Mothership's cloak field so I can't see them.

It then promptly hits my entire fleet with Vortex, dropping everyone into a black hole for 20 seconds.

If my BCs were more spread out this might be a threat, leaving a few out in the open to be cut down while the rest of them are powerless, but with all of them trapped this is just a waste of my time as I wait for it to end.

And the second it does I cut loose with the Yamato.

Once it takes a bit of life damage it'll warp back to the Vault. It's meant to force you to fight the Mothership in order to reach the Vault instead of just bursting it down as it wanders, but since I'm already here it just looks silly.

And done.

The Most Powerful Terran in the Universe - Destroy all enemy structures in the "Maw of the Void" mission on Normal difficulty.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 6, 2024

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
This mission is the one reason why you might consider taking the "mechanical units repair themselves over time" perk rather than the increased energy one. Even with a good amount of Science Vessels, it takes a while for them to repair your BCs after each generator. That said, this mission isn't particularly difficult, just long and tedious.

Also, those DTs do take up supply, so if you really care about maximizing your army, it's best to wait until you've hit 200 from your BCs before destroying the last prison or two.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Phelddagrif posted:

This mission is the one reason why you might consider taking the "mechanical units repair themselves over time" perk rather than the increased energy one. Even with a good amount of Science Vessels, it takes a while for them to repair your BCs after each generator. That said, this mission isn't particularly difficult, just long and tedious.

Regenerative Bio-Steel is still trash thanks to the 36HP/minute regen rate. Like:

That BC in the middle is at around 2/3, or ~360 HP. That'll take Bio-Steel 6 minutes to fully heal, and in exchange you kneecap every other mission since you pass up on Cellular Reactor.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bio-steel is on the Protoss research column, right? It should work like Protoss shields: no regeneration in combat, massive regeneration kicking in ~10 seconds since the last time the unit took damage. Shields are 2HP/s = 120HP/minute IIRC.
More energy would still be better but right now Bio-steel is simply useless.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

Bio-steel is on the Protoss research column, right? It should work like Protoss shields: no regeneration in combat, massive regeneration kicking in ~10 seconds since the last time the unit took damage. Shields are 2HP/s = 120HP/minute IIRC.
More energy would still be better but right now Bio-steel is simply useless.

Zerg tier 4, actually.

Funnily enough, two other places we'll be seeing has Bio-Steel, and both of them are infinitely better. One bumps the regen up to 2hp/s, and the other goes to 10hp/s if you stay out of combat for a few seconds.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ah yes, this mission.

and this upcoming cutscene.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Remember storming Dalaran in Warcraft 3? Apparently Blizzard does too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Remember storming Dalaran in Warcraft 3? Apparently Blizzard does too.

Arthas probably could have done it much more effectively with a fleet of Minotaur-class battlecruisers at his command.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he would start swapping hair care tips with Valerian and get too distracted

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BisbyWorl posted:

Zerg tier 4, actually.

Funnily enough, two other places we'll be seeing has Bio-Steel, and both of them are infinitely better. One bumps the regen up to 2hp/s, and the other goes to 10hp/s if you stay out of combat for a few seconds.

Oh, right, it's improved Zerg regen on your mechs and ships. Too bad zerg regen is kinda bad and the reason nobody complains it's because it's baseline and free.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Time to do Haven building only battlecruisers.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Finally! We're now properly equipped to tackle HAVEN.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Can't believe those lazy bums haven't fixed their radio yet. Oh well, our battle cruisers have it guys that can handle it, so we can finally lend haven a hand.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

DonVincenzo posted:

Finally! We're now properly equipped to tackle HAVEN.

wologar posted:

Time to do Haven building only battlecruisers.

But we're not doing Haven until the end of the LP? :confused:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Marluxia posted:

But we're not doing Haven until the end of the LP? :confused:

Somehow, I doubt we're going to be allowed to skip it entirely. It's happening before Char whether you like it or not, I'm guessing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

seriously tempted to use the editor to make a post-epilogue version of haven and force bisby to use it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how will the editor force Bisby to do something

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

by asking very politely

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:wth:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

poo poo my one weakness has been found out

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bisby, could you please just head straight to Char, do the rest of the campaigns (including the epilogue), and only then finally do Haven?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Shouldn't it be a proper thread vote?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hierarch, we have received a request for aid from the terran colony called Haven.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Regalingualius posted:

Bisby, could you please just head straight to Char, do the rest of the campaigns (including the epilogue), and only then finally do Haven?

:emptyquote:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Intermission 21

Cinematic: Bar Fight

While we were robbing the Tal'darim for the last time, Tychus has been at the bar.

While the rest of the Raiders have finally had enough of the whole 'we're literally working for Mengsk's kid,' thing.

And then Jim starts throwing bottles at him.

It must be a bitch to get glass out of that armor.

And the music fades out with a distorted 'sweeeeet hooooome aaaaaaaaalabama...'

Jim rolls behind Tychus...

And zaps him with the jukebox's power cord.

There's something funny about Stetmann being here. The guy's basically been a background character this entire ti-

Is he keeping soda in his vest?

It can't be beer. He's way too much of a nerd to keep beer on his person.

And just like that, the Raiders are back to being ride-or-die for Jimmy.

For a change, we don't start in the Cantina.

>Talk to Horner.

Good man. This truce won't last forever - just long enough to get the job done.

On a personal note, nice job with Tychus. That rear end-kicking's been a long time coming.

>Talk to Valerian.

You better hope so. Delivering this... artifact thing right to Kerrigan's doorstep - we're gonna need all the luck we can get.

Rest easy. We'll have the might of the Dominion Fleet behind us!

Right.

The jukebox is back up, but the same can't be said of the table Tychus threw.

>Watch news.

Whatever the situation, we here at UNN hope the prince is okay.

>Talk to Tosh.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

>Talk to Tychus.

But that's all comin' to an end with you chargin' off like some drat hero - for a cause I couldn't care less about.

Then what was all that talk earlier about doin' humanity a favor and getting paid well in the process?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Alright. Alright, I'm with ya.

That's my boy.

>Check Mercenaries.

The Merc BC is the most limited, only having one per mission.

One is all you need.

>Talk to Swann.

I'll check 'em out. Where we're going we're gonna need all the firepower we can get.

>Use Armory Console.

Strangely, despite the schematics being given to us by Valerian, the Battlecruiser is under the Starship tab instead of Dominion. This leaves the Dominion tab with the smallest unit list, with just the Ghost/Specter and the Thor.

The other upgrade is the Science Vessels old Defensive Matrix from SC1 as a self-targeted ability for 150K.

Once we begin, there will be no turning back. Ensure that you are fully prepared, Commander. Destiny awaits!

Char unlocks the moment you finish Maw of the Void, and as Valerian said it'll be a one way trip once you head down. Anything left undone will be permanently lost.

Now, as funny as it would be to continue stalling Haven till the very end of the LP...

I really do want the Viking, and I have some things I want to bitch about on Haven, so I'm not giving you a choice.

But hey, have you ever noticed the Research Opportunity here?

*alarms blaring*

Jim! You have to stop this!

I dunno... I'm fairly sure the planet is just a solid mass of creep by this point.

Oh hey, it's Selendis! She was the Carrier hero from In Utter Darkness!

I can cure them, Jim - believe me!

If you choose to resist us, we will meet in glorious combat.

I really like Selendis. It's not just combat, but 'glorious' combat. She's so thrilled to have a chance to go up against the James Raynor.

Much like with Tosh, the finale of Hanson's mission line also has a choice of mission. I'll get the Viking regardless of what mission is picked, and instead the mission determines what type of research I get as a reward.

If I did this at any earlier point, I could make a decision based on what research tree I want to focus on more. This late, I'm choosing between getting 30K credits and getting 30K credits.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 31, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Regalingualius posted:

Unfortunately for you all, it isn't that much of a weakness. :v: 1.1x damage at most.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Why do you make picking the correct option so hard?