Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
there are plenty of actors who aren't great at the art of "acting", but like get by on being them and their just raw charisma.

Ruby is one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mirage posted:

Are they sure they want a D-rank actor as Ai?

*sees last page*

Never mind.

no need to act if there's no lie

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I thought Kana was supposed to be a better signer than Ruby? They are both B-rank singers.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Time to write some strongly worded messages to Aka about these rankings

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Nebrilos posted:

I thought Kana was supposed to be a better signer than Ruby? They are both B-rank singers.

A bit good of time has passed from the formation of new B-Komachi, so presumably Ruby just practiced and improved a bunch. We're not really sure how long I think, but Kana graduated high school so it's been at least two years or so.

edit: though Kana was the front this whole time so presumably she would have gotten better at singing too so I don't know whatever

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 5, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 39 hours!)

B-rank is still pretty low anyway, that's like the bare minimum you would expect someone to be if they want to perform it. Like at the start, Ruby was probably like a D or C, but not that hard to just make it to a passing level. Don't see any - or +, but I would say Kana would be at least B+ and Ruby be a B-

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Look I think we all agree that Kana is 6 stars and S in all stats

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Look I think we all agree that Kana is 6 stars and S in all stats

Unfortunately she’s just a 3* while Akane has 4. I suspect Aka is fudging some stats.

Anyway, gotta save my gems for the next Frill banner and hope I don’t get spooked by Mita instead when I pull.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like how the only ones who have an S-rank in social media presence/being Extremely Online are the goon in glasses and Frill. :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I love seeing that type of power graph whenever it pops up, so it was fun to see it here.

Seeing them actually start to take the first steps into making this movie really hammered home to me that we're in the endgame now, and I'm gonna be sad to see this fine manga end in what I expect to be 30-ish more chapters at the most.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but the hidden stat, lucklying is all that matters in the end.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
129 https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018926

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... it took you 13 takes to tell her that? Such rude

Yes I read the rest of the chapter, you still could've done it at the start and gotten solid results, you're calling her mother stupid

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

His technique reminds be of Kubrick and Shelley on The Shining.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Basically the same people when you think about it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Ruby's also dumb, and an untrained newbie actress, so she wouldn't get it either if he just tried to tell her, so he has to trick her into it anyway.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 18, 2023

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mem-Cho chapter? Mem-Cho chapter:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019061

Also lmao at Akane still eyeing long haired Kana something fierce.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

mem-chapter

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mem truly is the best :3:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The most solid team player among the kids. A real mensch. Memsch.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Can't even recognize Kana with the long hair wig on. That's gonna be her end of series hair change style isn't it? When she gives up on Aqua and moves on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Can't even recognize Kana with the long hair wig on. That's gonna be her end of series hair change style isn't it? When she gives up on Aqua and moves on.

You seem to have Kana confused with some kind of quitter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
some thoughts on the chapter and wild theories:

I am very happy for a memcho-centric chapter, she felt like she really needed some more development as a main character. she's an admirable one too, just steadfastly moving forward no matter what's in her way. hell yeah memcho

also I think it's funny that memcho doesn't look like memcho without the :3, like in this panel:

and what is up with her leaving a message for Aqua turning 15, why would she do that rather than just...celebrate it with him as a family when it happened? And with a message of something she wants them to do? I feel like she knew she was going to die before then. So did she know how dangerous the father was in the first place, to record a video like this ahead of time? And, even weirder, specifically to Aqua, not to Aqua AND Ruby, despite it being both their birthdays. but even then, I question again why this specific 15-year-old birthday celebration recording/request exists. I have never known anyone who does this sort of thing unless they're like, approaching the end of their life/losing mental faculties/dying of cancer(or whatever) and want to leave a message for the future. a young successful idol shouldn't have felt that necessary, and so specific, too. So is this some meddling-beyond-the-grave shenanigans? Or is it setting up a seemingly dark idea and then it'll be like "Aqua I want you to do this for your sister's birthday surprise" or some similar sort of fakeout?

anyways, let's get into crazy theories

with three significant supernatural characters, and especially with the cliffhanger of this chapter, I frankly don't believe Ai is gone completely. Especially with the as-yet-unnamed child who I can only assume is Yatagarasu outright saying Ai is "totally gone/erased forever", I don't buy it. Not necessarily that she reincarnated, but if there's a literal yataragarasu-in-human-form character, it wouldn't surprise me if Ai still existed in some form, not necessarily physical. we're already dealing with reincarnation and corporeal gods, it's not out of the realm of possibility. especially with the above-spoilered stuff.

and while I'm getting silly, what if some of the lines in IDOL are referencing Ruby(when she achieves her goal) rather than Ai?

quote:

That emotion melts all hearts, all eyes on you
'Cause you are perfect, the most ultimate idol
Unrivaled, will not appear again
It's the brightest star reborn, yes, indeed
Ah, using that smiling face
That "I love you" again
Now, everybody is lured and captivated by you
The pupil that you got
The words you vocalize
Even when untrue, it's your perfected Ai
Ruby's aiming to be an even bigger idol than Ai, so this could be read as Sarina as the brightest star reborn into Ruby, she is the "perfected" Ai. hell, she's straight up acting as Ai right now, and apparently nailed it just by getting a little mad. Or "the brightest star is residing in you" as Ai being pregnant with Ruby.

yeah yeah, the official english lyrics might not be completely accurate and this is a pretty wild take to begin with, but I'm just having some fun here. I kinda wish more people would post their wild theories on where they think things will or could go, not just with Oshi No Ko. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Captain Invictus posted:

and what is up with her leaving a message for Aqua turning 15, why would she do that rather than just...celebrate it with him as a family when it happened? And with a message of something she wants them to do? I feel like she knew she was going to die before then. So did she know how dangerous the father was in the first place, to record a video like this ahead of time? And, even weirder, specifically to Aqua, not to Aqua AND Ruby, despite it being both their birthdays. but even then, I question again why this specific 15-year-old birthday celebration recording/request exists. I have never known anyone who does this sort of thing unless they're like, approaching the end of their life/losing mental faculties/dying of cancer(or whatever) and want to leave a message for the future. a young successful idol shouldn't have felt that necessary, and so specific, too. So is this some meddling-beyond-the-grave shenanigans? Or is it setting up a seemingly dark idea and then it'll be like "Aqua I want you to do this for your sister's birthday surprise" or some similar sort of fakeout?

I thought she left a message for each of them.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought she left a message for each of them.

Yeah, she left an individual message for each of them with the Director to be given to them when they turned 15. Likely because, as she said this chapter, she was 15 when she had them.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

She may also have just felt like it's something that needed to be said, that they needed to hear, but she felt they needed to be old enough to face up to it (knowing nothing of their actual mental ages). A lie so terrible the truth had to even be kept under wraps after her death, up to 15 years. The 15-year lie. The thing I can't figure out is if it's that bad, how come the actors with access to the script aren't reeling from it? Aqua's probably withholding something else (safest bet in this series, really) and maybe plans some other route, like splicing the DVD recording into the movie itself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

She may also have just felt like it's something that needed to be said, that they needed to hear, but she felt they needed to be old enough to face up to it (knowing nothing of their actual mental ages). A lie so terrible the truth had to even be kept under wraps after her death, up to 15 years. The 15-year lie. The thing I can't figure out is if it's that bad, how come the actors with access to the script aren't reeling from it? Aqua's probably withholding something else (safest bet in this series, really) and maybe plans some other route, like splicing the DVD recording into the movie itself.

Aqua? Being dishonest and manipulative? No way, that would never happen.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The movie plan just seems so roundabout.
like the killer is gonna see the movie and kill himself?

idk. Just cap him in the head instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sure, killing the guy without first declaring his motive to the world would be a better plan. but aqua has lived too long in the entertainment industry. in all things, drama takes precedence.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe Aqua is a messy bitch but has respect for the classics and was hoping for a Hamlet resolution.

Alternatively, maybe he thinks the lie/secret he's withholding is so bad that it can indict and pull down the entire entertainment complex that he hates.

It's Quixotic for sure no matter what he's really intending.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Riling up Ai's fanbase to kill the guy for him. And getting paid to do it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GateOfD posted:

The movie plan just seems so roundabout.
like the killer is gonna see the movie and kill himself?

idk. Just cap him in the head instead.

guest author neil breen

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Shugojin posted:

guest author neil breen

Ai Am Here...Now

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I liked the Mem focus at the start of the chapter, but the end just reminded me again about how Aqua's a prick who knew about the message Ai left for him and Ruby but never thought to tell her about it. Poor Ruby only found out because the Director said something about it when they ran across each other.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
131 https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018916

No chapter next week, manga returns on November 21st, a day earlier then normal

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Worst parents

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Annointed posted:

Worst parents

This manga is secretly a tournament arc about who can be the worst possible parent

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

really strong chapter.

lots of good use of Cat Mem in the background in panels.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
132 https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019147
This pretty much confirms that Nino is the author of the 45510 short story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Everyone is hosed up