Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

god drat it.
tell me its too expensive to get one please. especially since the buttons are in xbox layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

You need something clurple to complete the look

something square, something circled, something borrowed, something clurple.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

otter posted:

god drat it.
tell me its too expensive to get one please. especially since the buttons are in xbox layout.

It’s going to be at least $1000.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I feel like if my options are to play DS games on a device that large versus just buying a DS Lite or DSi, I’m picking the DS ten out of ten times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah and a DSi isn’t that expensive these days either. I got mine for about £50.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

njsykora posted:

It’s going to be at least $1000.

thanks. as long as they dont release it in clurple anyway.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Corb3t posted:

I know the Vita isn't technically third party retro console, but boy does it still shine in 2023 - OLED, dual analogs, wifi, awesome standby mode, great vita/psp catalog, lots of PS2 & android ports, and can play everything up to PSX (except Saturn) with ease.

Yeah I will never pass an opportunity to talk up the Vita. It's amazing how many QoL features (sleep mode, wifi/bluetooth, OLED, etc) still feel modern and good. I'm extremely grateful to the Vita hacking community too, stuff like VitaDB is basically an entire app store and the work they've done with Android ports is incredible.

The only thing I don't like is the back trackpad. That is a miserable experience for most games.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
What kinds of things can the Vita emulate? I have not looked into it, but notice it's going for like $120 on ebay. It's obviously going to be a more premium experience overall, but I have no idea if getting one would increase my options significantly past what I do with an RG351V. I'm guessing it can play PS2 games, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nickoten posted:

What kinds of things can the Vita emulate? I have not looked into it, but notice it's going for like $120 on ebay. It's obviously going to be a more premium experience overall, but I have no idea if getting one would increase my options significantly past what I do with an RG351V. I'm guessing it can play PS2 games, right?

Everything up to SNES and obviously ps1 psp and vita.

It also does some android ports of games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nope, remember the biggest Android SOCs have only recently gotten to reliable PS2 emulation. The Vita can basically do PS1 down+PSP through its native backwards compatibility. Last I looked in on it N64 wasn't perfect. You basically get a Vita to run that PS1/PSP/PSV trio, though PS1 still isn't great because it only has 2 shoulder buttons instead of 4 so you're going to have some games with missing controls.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Nickoten posted:

Vita shines to play things on psx, psp, or vita itself, but its emulation situation isn’t great. I want anything on a system outside of those choices I go with the 351V which is more capable. (Again outside of those three systems that the vita was designed to be able to play)

E:f,b by njsykora

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Thanks for the responses!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

njsykora posted:

You basically get a Vita to run that PS1/PSP/PSV trio, though PS1 still isn't great because it only has 2 shoulder buttons instead of 4 so you're going to have some games with missing controls.

This Top Player Grip works decent at providing L2/L3. It's not the Hori grip, but I like the ergonomics with the extra grip, although its less portable.

PSP Go or Vita 2000 with a Hori grip are tempting pick-ups.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 20, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

So I’m the most “I’ll believe it when I see it” person in the world when it comes to polymega, but it looks like a couple of containers with the consoles and controllers have showed up on us shores the other day.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_iAK8Ac3HE

Oh no, this might actually get me to start collecting these things on purpose instead of by accident

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_iAK8Ac3HE

Oh no, this might actually get me to start collecting these things on purpose instead of by accident

Sweet, now I can play Rad Racer on my rad racer.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Anbernic comin

I love this little fucker :eyepop:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Apparently the CpU sucks if you want to run Saturn and it just looks like more ewaste.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like it!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Apparently the CpU sucks if you want to run Saturn and it just looks like more ewaste.

Oh for sure for sure for sure for sure for sure

It looks like a little Game Gear tho :eyepop:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

loopsheloop posted:

Anbernic comin

Matt Zerella posted:

After three whole handhelds trying to look like a SNES controller, it's nice to see one trying to look like a Sega controller, even if it isn't the classic Genesis/Megadrive one.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 26, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Assepoester posted:

After three whole handhelds trying to look like a SNES controller, it's nice to see one trying to look like a Sega controller, even if it isn't the classic Genesis/Megadrive one.

For sure but if you're gonna use the awesome Japanese cream colorway for the Saturn it should at least be able to run the Saturn core (which also has a ton of awesome fighters and shmups to take advantage of that layout!)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think all the good saturn games were ported anyway.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
BakuBaku Animal is still Saturn exclusive though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

coconono posted:

I think all the good saturn games were ported anyway.

Panzer Dragoon Saga much??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hatty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XRi7zJfaW8

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

loopsheloop posted:

Anbernic comin

This with the RGB30 screen and I'm set forever. I don't think I'd go without a 1:1 screen again for my use case. Why the hell isn't that just the standard dpad for everything

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 26, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I just want the six face buttons.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

loopsheloop posted:

Anbernic comin

What a waste of a good design.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Matt Zerella posted:

But six buttan and circle d-pad

hatty posted:

Try the Game Gear version!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Had my Anbernic RG405M just over a week now.
It's my first handheld emulator and I love it, I installed GammaOS and have mostly been playing gba and ps1 games.

It's so solid, the buttons have a great feel and the screen is fantastic. It also fits perfectly in my jeans pocket so I can carry it around all the time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just got my miyoo mini plus and the guide I'm following suggests using a 128GB card. Moreover, the "Tiny Best Set Go!" has explicit downloads for 32/64/128 cards. Is there some reason I can't just use a 512GB card if I have one?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just got my miyoo mini plus and the guide I'm following suggests using a 128GB card. Moreover, the "Tiny Best Set Go!" has explicit downloads for 32/64/128 cards. Is there some reason I can't just use a 512GB card if I have one?

pretty sure it doesn't matter for Tiny Best Set, they are just different size downloads for what they contain.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Yeah it’s more that it’s largely impractical to use more than 128 in a Miyoo since it doesn’t support much of anything with file sizes big enough to fill much bigger, but nothing is stopping you from slapping the 128 set in and adding to it as you please.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is the first I've heard of this set and that owns as a concept.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'd say that's not completely true, the Miyoo Mini can run most any 32 bit or lower CD system(besides the Saturn of course) just fine including PS1 so going above 128 GB is actually quite justified if you want more than a handful of games for those systems

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Tiny Beat Set is just a precompiled set of roms with the SD card structure intact so you can just drag and drop it to whatever card you get. I’m pretty sure it was mostly made because of the viralness of the Miyoo Mini and how people who may be less tech savvy were buying it in droves.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I bought this off Ali express because it was $50 and why not.

https://youtu.be/myeSuR5mNCc?si=et3xwskJ5k5xh9De

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Miyoo Flip rumored to be under $100. (Said on Reddit by a guy harassing the company via chat every other day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

IG-88 posted:

Miyoo Flip rumored to be under $100. (Said on Reddit by a guy harassing the company via chat every other day)

Taki is on reddit?