Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Algo has been pitching this to me for a bit, I'm enjoying it. Pleasantl;y-voiced Southern US man on Libertarian kids books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhe0LgQDgNg

I saw that video last week and it's definitely worth a watch. As a companion, check out Zoe Bee's video on PragerU's :airquote: educational :airquote: videos that are now being used in classrooms in some states:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NAiPYaogCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Zinkraptor posted:

Honestly yeah, they’ve all got their own strengths and flaws such that I feel like you could make a solid argument for any of them being the best or worst.

That's what makes the DS2 backlash so weird, because it's another one of those cases of a group of nerds being completely unable to accept that people enjoy a thing and they don't. There's a fine line between "I don't like [x] and here's why" and "I don't like [x] and here's why I'm correct" that a lot of nerds don't seem to understand.

Famethrowa posted:

"he wasnt a misogynist he was just unbelievably dense" is a pretty funny epitaph tho I'll give it that

I've always thought that Innuendo Studio's characterization of GamerGate being made up of a mixture of really dumb and politically unaware gamers and consciously reactionary CHUDs in a symbiotic relationship with each other was probably the single best characterization of the movement.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
it was a movement for and by morons

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

fun hater posted:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

KingKalamari posted:

That's what makes the DS2 backlash so weird, because it's another one of those cases of a group of nerds being completely unable to accept that people enjoy a thing and they don't. There's a fine line between "I don't like [x] and here's why" and "I don't like [x] and here's why I'm correct" that a lot of nerds don't seem to understand.

2's issues and what people get mad about are a mix of things. The lighting engine having to be cut down from the pre-release material when it first came out really upset people. It's a game that was in development hell and you can tell a lot of the middle sections were visibly stitched together from disassociated parts that didn't get polished. It was trying for a scope that it did not have the remaining dev time to deliver on properly.

It was being worked on by another team while the team that developed DS1 up through the DLC had shifted to Bloodborne. So they were simultaneously trying to address the "complaints" about DS1 while repeating a lot of the same mistakes in designing bosses and enemies from the first game because all that experience was being applied elsewhere. The rushed final product meant that a lot of times they were tossing multiple "fixes" at the wall for things like balancing PVP, reworking spellcasting, adjusting weapon design, etc. without considering if they were all necessary or good.

There are also a lot of things 2 did that were cool or that people were mad about that rolled into 3 and onward because it turns out the developers just wanted to move that way. Things like aggressive enemy design, groups of elites to fight, not wanting backstab fishing all the time (but it's still really easy to do anyway), Lore callbacks, etc. So whatever, it's nice to get a more fleshed out successor in a lot of ways with Elden Ring.

fun hater posted:

But have you ever considered how Steve the Incompetent SS Soldier who trips on banana peels and blows up a platoon of Panzer tanks might actually be an ally to the Allied Forces?

:chord:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just didn't like how the scythes got nerved moveset wise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DS2 is the only one of the trilogy that I actually completed (and wanted to)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
ds2 was unplayable to me and i still havent passed the second area lol. ive played every other fromsoft game like 8000 times but that one just won't stick

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If DS1 and 3 wanted to be good they should've put in the Bell Tower Covenant.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think the worst thing with 2 was tying the dodge roll i-frames to a derived stat under another stat. It makes everything feel extra awful and awkward to start with. Plus, since that wasn't clear from the start, there were multiple years of testing before people fully understood what that stat did.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All Souls games are bad except for the ones I like, which are actually good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fun hater posted:

ds2 was unplayable to me and i still havent passed the second area lol. ive played every other fromsoft game like 8000 times but that one just won't stick

I felt the same way about it at first. I preordered it (stupid), played it for a little bit, put it down, never picked it back up. Years later I tried it again and really loved it, first Souls game I ever kept playing after completing a playthrough. So if it’s been a long time you might consider trying again, though now that Elden Ring exists there are far fewer reasons to go back to DS2.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think the worst thing with 2 was tying the dodge roll i-frames to a derived stat under another stat. It makes everything feel extra awful and awkward to start with. Plus, since that wasn't clear from the start, there were multiple years of testing before people fully understood what that stat did.

IMO it could have worked, IF they had actually gone ahead and just explained the mechanic. It’s so pivotal that every player knows what it is and (at least roughly) how it works even if they have never heard the phrase iframe before. The choice they made, making it something you character is bad at at first that you have to put stats into, combined with having it be just as opaque as the last game, results in players just coming to the conclusion that rolling in DS2 sucks and feels bad.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

DS2 was the only one in the series that I gave up on because I hated it so much, but I don’t begrudge other people their enjoyment. DS3 was my favourite of the three despite some other people apparently hating it, but I prefer Elden Ring over all of them since it's open world.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DS3 ftw, and the argument that it's just copying Dark Souls 1 misses the entire point of the game.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

bloodborne>sekiro>elden ring> demon souls (og) > ds1> ds3> ds2 > demon souls remake (lol)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tenchu 3 is better than all of them

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dongicus posted:

bloodborne>sekiro>elden ring> demon souls (og) > ds1> ds3> ds2 > demon souls remake (lol)

My opinion on the Dark Souls trilogy rotates with my mood/whichever I played last, but I'll agree with the front half of that ranking. (And yeah the Demon's Souls remake is the bottom of a top tier list.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The proper way to rank the souls games is by which one has the most satisfying moonlight sword and. therefore. Armored Core 6 is the best soul-like and Sekiro the worst.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Bloodborne is the king among them but I'll give the second best spot to Elden Ring because it feels more satisfying to replay than Sekiro.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Saagonsa posted:

DS3 ftw, and the argument that it's just copying Dark Souls 1 misses the entire point of the game.

I'd argue it only finished that concept with the final DLC.
(also good lord why were there so many swamps)
I still like it more than DS2 tho. But Bloodborne remains king.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

DS3 was not very fun to play. Many of the systems did not function particularly well and the level design was a massive step down from Demons and DKS2. That said, it was still a good game and it's nice to see the Dark Souls 1 stans getting pissy about getting what they asked for after 2 actually tried to grow its themes and explore new areas. Something 3 also did but most of them missed because they get their opinions and ideas directly from idiot YouTubers.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The furtive Nioh...so easily forgotten. I know it isn't a From game but I never hear about it and I'm curious about y'all's opinions.

I'm bad at Souls games (I've only played and beaten DS1 and DS2) and Nioh was easy to kinda limp your way through so I had a lot of fun with it for the most part. Sekiro is very much the opposite of that so I doubt I'll ever give it a shot because, again, I'm bad.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 26, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Danaru posted:

Tenchu 3 is better than all of them

FromSoft only made the PSP version of Tenchu 3, the console version was made developed by K2

Unperson_47 posted:

The furtive Nioh...so easily forgotten. I know it isn't a From game but I never hear about it and I'm curious about y'all's opinions.

Nioh 2 is da best

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dark souls 2 is good

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DS3 never really clicked with me, It's like they tried to bring the more aggressive style of combat from Bloodbourne forward but without giving you enough speed/agility to properly match it. Every single trash mob feels like it does full on combo's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dark Souls is an amazing series because for a company established in 1986 and still regularly putting games out throughout the years, they managed to hit a speed boost in 2011 that firmly establishes them alongside Final Fantasy and Star Wars as franchises that people will argue over which one is the best or the worst until the end of time.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

seems kinda like racism that the games are only about dark souls

what about the light souls

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Goon Boots posted:

seems kinda like racism that the games are only about dark souls

what about the light souls

Or the demon erasure.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm bad at Souls games (I've only played and beaten DS1 and DS2) and Nioh was easy to kinda limp your way through so I had a lot of fun with it for the most part. Sekiro is very much the opposite of that so I doubt I'll ever give it a shot because, again, I'm bad.

I went through all of Nioh 2 and I need to go back and do more of 1. I'd say even at their hardest, Nioh 2 bosses were more forgiving than the endgame/DLC type bosses in the From Soft games. Like, there were decent number where I braced for having to repeat boss phases and the Nioh 2 bosses didn't make me do that. Most of them aren't cakewalks, but that stood out to me anyway. The basic souls conceits of waypoints, consumable healing items, and you having to navigate a level to the end are similar enough. The weapons are more technical and character action game-y, which makes sense since it's the Ninja Gaiden people making the games. I think they're a lot of fun the same way learning Monster Hunter weapons are fun, but it's definitely different from the Souls games' weapon designs.

Things I like: the healing system and the way collecting kodamas replenishes more in each region, the weapons/combat are fun, the co-op in 2 is fun but kind of sucks in Nioh 1. Yokai form in Nioh 2, and the burst counters you get in it, are also great and satisfying to pull off. Nioh 2 has a fantastic character creator, as well.

Things I dislike: The looter shooter/diablo esque loot drop system with its little ticky tacky % bonuses and keyword effects and poo poo. It's pretty ignorable on base NG but you still end up with an assload of trash you need to dump after each mission. I'm also not a fan of the general "mission" structure versus an open world you're running around in. Also, Nioh 2 is overall the better game on a mechanical level, but the story is mostly filler caulking in background to Nioh 1, so playing 2 without 1 is kind of confusing and vague.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

The looter shooter/diablo esque loot drop system with its little ticky tacky % bonuses and keyword effects and poo poo. It's pretty ignorable on base NG but you still end up with an assload of trash you need to dump after each mission.

I had forgotten about this part of Nioh. Yeah, I never interacted at all with that system nor the blacksmith that let you create weapons because there didn't seem like much point in it when I just found decent stuff and equipped what I found going through the game normally. I also didn't use the stance system all that much. I just liked whipping my kusarigama around at fools.

I remember the DLC being gently caress-off hard and I didn't even finish the first mission I don't think.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

playing nioh and not interacting with the stance system is like playing dark souls without rolling

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Alaois posted:

playing nioh and not interacting with the stance system is like playing dark souls without rolling

Losing out on 80% of my moveset because I can't be assed to learn the mechanics

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I would say that overall I like the Nioh games, but I absolutely hated that loot system. Getting a new weapon in a Soulsborne game usually has me thinking “Cool, I wonder how this one works? I can't wait to test it out!” but in Nioh it’s just another piece of scrap metal on the pile that may or may not be an incremental upgrade to what I’m already using.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want a good new Souls game there's Lies of P. Although technically it has more in common with Bloodborne and Sekiro.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lies of pee pee

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Lies are stored in the balls

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The best souls game is hollow knight

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

DS3 was not very fun to play. Many of the systems did not function particularly well and the level design was a massive step down from Demons and DKS2.
that first area, the high wall of lothric, or w/e was such an abysmal first area, just thin straight walkways except for that one part on the rooftops where that one enemy type is that mutates at mid-health. and it's such a slog getting to the pre-boss bonfire

after i finally got to and cleared the boss i put the game down and haven't come back to it, i was already burnt out

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Losing out on 80% of my moveset because I can't be assed to learn the mechanics

That's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pus of Man begins to mutate as soon as it sees you, not at mid health...