Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A VPS provider favored by the Plex for Profit crowd was blacklisted recently. Were you on that? iirc the TOS says that you can’t run the software in the cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, Hetzner, but I have a dedicated server not a VPS.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Sub Rosa posted:

A team member mentions "staffing changes" and "We lost a lot of institutional knowledge which is hard to replace in only a few weeks time."

What is going on inside Plex the company?

Several months ago the company laid off a bunch of staff, including (almost?) all the staff which worked on the play-your-own-media capabilities. It’s not a huge surprise from an economics perspective as the recurring revenue from that part of the service must have been rather small, but it sucks rear end for those of us who use Plex exclusively for that use case.

At the time I wanted to dump Plex as a protest move and switched to Jellyfin but I found it to be too immature for my specific uses. I’m back to Plex but I’m trying hard to avoid upgrading the server because it’s working great now and I don’t want to pick up whatever dickery their much-brain-drained employees have put in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

Yeah, Hetzner, but I have a dedicated server not a VPS.

Doesn’t matter, verboten.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

What's the best thing to rip YouTube videos? I have Windows, Linux and YouTube premium.

I've been using 4kVideoDownloader for a while now, free version gets you 30 DLs a day, you can pick stuff like the resolution you want and if you want the video or just audio etc. Works well enough for my purposes but if you want to do more than grab a few videos here and there the script mentioned above would probably be the way to go.

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm in the process of buying parts for a new NAS that will also be a Plex server, so I've been looking into Plex hardware transcoding.

I came across this post from August which I thought was interesting: https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdr-tone-mapping-with-hw-transcoding-not-working-for-12900k-cpu-on-pms-version-1-32-5-7210/845595/69

A team member mentions "staffing changes" and "We lost a lot of institutional knowledge which is hard to replace in only a few weeks time."

What is going on inside Plex the company? I'm also making a NAS because I had until recently been hosting Plex on a server instead of locally, and apparently Plex didn't like that and banned it?

Are any Plex competitors like Jellyfin actually ready for primetime if Plex is being jerks?

They've broken transcoding a few times now, most recently for Linux, that's just (in theory) been cleared up with the last few releases. I've been sitting on an older release of the Debian client until I'm sure major stuff like that has been unfucked.

As for something being ready as a Plex replacement, my experience and the general thread consensus has been nothing yet. If stuff like Jellyfin continues to develop I'm sure it will get there eventually, but right now it's just not ready. Almost wish it was a paid product so they could afford to poach all the recently available Plex devs to kick things into high gear.

csammis posted:

Several months ago the company laid off a bunch of staff, including (almost?) all the staff which worked on the play-your-own-media capabilities.

Guess this partially explains why something as major as 'HW transcoding broke' took months to fix with almost radio silence on the Plex forums :doh:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Based on my survey a few months ago, if I had to move away from Plex right now, I would move to Emby.

I want JellyFin to be good, but it absolutely crawls on my Raspberry Pi 4, when Plex and Emby are just fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

Are any Plex competitors like Jellyfin actually ready for primetime if Plex is being jerks?

I'm running jellyfin on real hardware, in an esx VM with a video card passed through for transcoding. All Roku clients with some windows client usage. It has been largely fine.

The initial login from various clients sucks compared to plex, especially "sharing" to other people. I assume this will be the very first thing to go on their march to be a streaming media/advertising app.

You will miss skipping intros. You will also miss having little thumbnails are you skip though media.

The navigation is weird in ways I find difficult to describe. Probably just because I'm so used to using plex for the last decade. I still think there are some thing I just can't do in Jellyfin like go from a show in the "next up" to the season/show, but this is likely a Roku client issue specifically. I know it's not a problem with the windows client where you can just clicka clicka on anything and it kinda works the way you would expect.

But I mean....it works. I can functionally use it and if plex just stopped working tomorrow I'd be fine.

I haven't tried emby in a while and that's most likely because I got soured on it a few years back when I was trying it out and it sucked.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Edit: too slow

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

My ‘regular rear end’ video line is

code:
 yt-dlp -f "bestvideo[vcodec^=avc]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best" --embed-thumbnail ‘put video or playlist in these quotes’

IIRC avc does not go above 720p (except for really old videos)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

What's the best thing to rip YouTube videos? I have Windows, Linux and YouTube premium.

I like MeTube

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MikusR posted:

IIRC avc does not go above 720p (except for really old videos)

1080p seems to be the limit as the videos I downloaded before at max quality came down in 1440p were replaced with 1080p, which works perfect for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I use tubearchivist

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I'm using a docker image for ytube downloads. It has a webui.
The image is : marcobaobao/yt-dlp-webui

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Seconding metube in a docker. Works great with enough options for me (namely spitting out an audio file only if I want it)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Similar question for crunchyroll. Anyone have a good recommendation for that? I tried some of the options google spat out but none seemed to work so far.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Talorat posted:

Similar question for crunchyroll. Anyone have a good recommendation for that? I tried some of the options google spat out but none seemed to work so far.

MeTube has crunchyroll support, among many other websites.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unfortunately just because it's on a list of 1800+ items that no one has bothered to prune, doesn't mean it will work.
Crunchroll now uses the same DRM as netflix / amazon prime video, so solutions to get those - which I can't mention - will also work there.
It's also very hard to get access to materials that allow you to dump the data, so most of this would be real-time extraction at best and at worse, screen capture.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

I'm using a docker image for ytube downloads. It has a webui.
The image is : marcobaobao/yt-dlp-webui

Thanks, tried this one as it seemed like a good mix of low command line and capability. Also thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I'm now ending up with .webm files ( this video, to be exact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnkNPejF0LA )

I'm having trouble getting Plex to recognize it. It seems to be in the Plex tv database. (https://watch.plex.tv/show/taskmaster-champion-of-champions)

I've tried renaming the .webm to mkv and mp4, have added "S02E02" but I can't get the file to even show up in Plex's TV's unmatched files. Am I missing something obvious? Can I configure the utility to output H264 or something else? Is it down to the name? coded?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Khablam posted:

Unfortunately just because it's on a list of 1800+ items that no one has bothered to prune, doesn't mean it will work.
Crunchroll now uses the same DRM as netflix / amazon prime video, so solutions to get those - which I can't mention - will also work there.
It's also very hard to get access to materials that allow you to dump the data, so most of this would be real-time extraction at best and at worse, screen capture.

Ahg okay thanks, all I want is to be able to have Italian audio with English subs, but for some dumb reason crunchyroll won’t let you use anything but Italian subs on the streams with Italian audio.

Edit: In case anyone is curious, the actual answer to my dilemma seems to be Substitial, which lets you overlay your own subs over streaming media, including crunchyroll.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 22, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The answer is almost always youtube-dlp. It’s like ffmpeg, even if you’re not using it you’re using it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LRADIKAL posted:

Thanks, tried this one as it seemed like a good mix of low command line and capability. Also thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I'm now ending up with .webm files ( this video, to be exact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnkNPejF0LA )

I'm having trouble getting Plex to recognize it. It seems to be in the Plex tv database. (https://watch.plex.tv/show/taskmaster-champion-of-champions)

I've tried renaming the .webm to mkv and mp4, have added "S02E02" but I can't get the file to even show up in Plex's TV's unmatched files. Am I missing something obvious? Can I configure the utility to output H264 or something else? Is it down to the name? coded?

Plex should be able to recognize webm files. If you don't specify what version to use, it will just automatically use the best quality video.

Also, make sure to use sponsor block.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What's sponser block? Also, is there a way to log in with my premium credentials, and is there a benefit to doing so?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

What's sponser block?
I'm not sure how it relates to your request here, but if you're simply trying to get a better YT experience in general sponsorblock is a pretty incredible tool. Any YT channel of note is going to have sponsors rather than ads, because YT killed ad revenue.
If you haven't noticed they add up.

This is from a not-long period of time in just one browser. There are often single videos where ~20% of the timeline is set to auto-skip.
It shouldn't affect the authors gain from the segments as the deals are made ahead of time and metrics on this are fuzzy and unreliable either way.

e: it works on mobile browsers that support plugins, too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

What's sponser block? Also, is there a way to log in with my premium credentials, and is there a benefit to doing so?

It shouldn’t matter as most downloaders are just grabbing the “best” versions from YT’s CMS regardless so it doesn’t help a great deal. If you’re trying to pull down from a playlist that you have (my preferred method) then you’d need to pass creds/a cookie to access it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Khablam posted:

I'm not sure how it relates to your request here, but if you're simply trying to get a better YT experience in general sponsorblock is a pretty incredible tool. Any YT channel of note is going to have sponsors rather than ads, because YT killed ad revenue.
If you haven't noticed they add up.

This is from a not-long period of time in just one browser. There are often single videos where ~20% of the timeline is set to auto-skip.
It shouldn't affect the authors gain from the segments as the deals are made ahead of time and metrics on this are fuzzy and unreliable either way.

e: it works on mobile browsers that support plugins, too.

yt-dlp also removes the sponsors segments from the video when downloading using YT-DLP.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

Can you see other webm files? If the file isn't showing up in Plex at all it's almost always a permissions issue, especially in Linux. Compare this file/folder properties with one you can see and make sure nothing jumps out.

Talorat posted:

Edit: In case anyone is curious, the actual answer to my dilemma seems to be Substitial, which lets you overlay your own subs over streaming media, including crunchyroll.

Would something like this work with a personal Plex server, and if so would it be a way to move the subtitle processing off of the server itself? Last night I had to mess around with my sub settings to get something to stream smoothly. It played fine normally (left side), buffered with subs enabled (right side) :

Under player settings I set Burn Subtitles to 'Only image formats' and it worked fine from then on :shrug:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I got plex set up on my truenas scale box, complete with nvidia transcoding etc.

There are some not so sane defaults, but I managed to work around them.

Doing outro/intro detection hits 80% cpu util on my E5-2670 v3 :haw:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thirded, it’s an excellent tool.

My ‘regular rear end’ video line is

code:
 yt-dlp -f "bestvideo[vcodec^=avc]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best" --embed-thumbnail ‘put video or playlist in these quotes’
And for music videos I like.

code:
 yt-dlp -f "bestvideo[vcodec^=avc]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best" -o "%(artist)s - %(title)s.%(ext)s" --embed-thumbnail --parse-metadata "title:%(artist)s - %(title)s" --embed-metadata 'again video goes here’
I was having issues with VP1 so I force to AVC for my uses.

If you are using yt-dlp you can abuse the sponserblock to remove in-video ads so that Manscape/NordVPN/etc ad will not be in your media collection

Bolded the categories. i remove all except for channels that do creative things with the sponsor like Internet Historian

pre:
--sponsorblock-mark CATS        SponsorBlock categories to create chapters
                                for, separated by commas. Available
                                categories are sponsor, intro, outro,
                                selfpromo, preview, filler, interaction,
                                music_offtopic, poi_highlight, chapter, all
                                and default (=all). You can prefix the
                                category with a "-" to exclude it. See [1]
                                for description of the categories. E.g.
                                --sponsorblock-mark all,-preview
                                [1] https://wiki.sponsor.ajay.app/w/Segment_Categories
--sponsorblock-remove CATS      SponsorBlock categories to be removed from
                                the video file, separated by commas. If a
                                category is present in both mark and remove,
                                remove takes precedence. The syntax and
                                available categories are the same as for
                                --sponsorblock-mark except that "default"
                                refers to "all,-filler" and poi_highlight,
                                chapter are not available
--sponsorblock-chapter-title TEMPLATE
                                An output template for the title of the
                                SponsorBlock chapters created by
                                --sponsorblock-mark. The only available
                                fields are start_time, end_time, category,
                                categories, name, category_names. Defaults
                                to "[SponsorBlock]: %(category_names)l"
--no-sponsorblock               Disable both --sponsorblock-mark and
                                --sponsorblock-remove
--sponsorblock-api URL          SponsorBlock API location, defaults to
                                https://sponsor.ajay.app

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh that’s neat. I only really use it for music video and similar content so the sponsorship crap isn’t generally an issue, but in case that comes up in something further down the line I’m definitely going to make a note of that.

Alas my regular YT playback is on a non premium account via AppleTV so the ads and sponsorship stuff is a bane.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh that’s neat. I only really use it for music video and similar content so the sponsorship crap isn’t generally an issue, but in case that comes up in something further down the line I’m definitely going to make a note of that.

Alas my regular YT playback is on a non premium account via AppleTV so the ads and sponsorship stuff is a bane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like these days you need to use a card issued from the country you’re pretending to be from.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds like these days you need to use a card issued from the country you’re pretending to be from.

Nope, I just signed back up using an Ukraine vpn and a card from privacy.com

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm maybe it’s strictly a Turkey thing, as people were reporting that country as being the cheapest but hitting issues. I’ll give that one a whirl, thanks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

kri kri posted:

Or you can use https://yewtu.be/ to download the 1080p clone of the video that is updated as videos come out. I have not checked if it uploaded 4k/2k as well, but you def get no ads.

This site has been around for a long while but people started spreading the word of its existence when YouTube started blocking the ad blockers

Edit: the site does work with yt-dlp

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Thirdjng or whatever “VPN to a cheap country and get premium”. You can even still do it in India if you go spin up a VPS there and toss WireGuard or some other VPN on there. Then off to Privacy.com and pick some random address.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
One of my favorite things about r/plex is that any discussion of users on your server quickly devolves into people saying how much they hate their own users and that they ban them if they don't access their account every twenty minutes, or for daring to make requests, or when the admin plays scrabble and gets a triple word score that starts with the same letter as their username.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Chillmatic posted:

One of my favorite things about r/plex is that any discussion of users on your server quickly devolves into people saying how much they hate their own users and that they ban them if they don't access their account every twenty minutes, or for daring to make requests, or when the admin plays scrabble and gets a triple word score that starts with the same letter as their username.

lol are you reading https://old.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/17hqi23/tip_for_new_people_consider_setting_up_more/

Are these resellers? They have to be because why else would you invite people who would just piss you off? :reddit:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I also hate my friends and family. If only they could match my brilliance at operating computers! Alas.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

I also hate my friends and family. If only they could match my brilliance at operating computers! Alas.

I hate your friends and family too fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Yep lmao.

And maybe they're resellers? But it happens in every dang discussion about users on there and it just cracks me up how these people think their lovely webdls are in fact ambrosia, reserved only for those who Don't Wake Daddy.