Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
You can do basic cutting with the MS Windows 3d modeler, which will then fix any problems with the geometry before you send it to your slicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
In blender, depending on the STL file, the bits might be independently selectable as well, though through a slightly tedious process. If you go into vertex edit mode, select a few vertices on the part you want, you can then Select -> Select Linked sometimes that individual part will get fully selected (rather than the entire. model) and then you can right-click Separate -> Selection and Blender will turn that into a new object, which you can then save or export as a different STL file. Again, this depends entirely on how the model was made, so it may not always work, but I have done some kit bashing this way.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
You can also try the slightly more tricky thing of selecting a loop and deleting it, thereby making two disconnected objects, but that's maybe getting into the weeds.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Prusaslicer as has a pretty good splitting tool in it now. Can even add pegs.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Lychee can split through the z=0 I think - but fair points. I have Meshlab and Blender, but not spent much time with either except fixing non manifold edges in the former!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I tried using Blender to fix a part that has a void inside it that is messing up the print, and bounced off it hard. I need to watch some tutorials I guess because I cannot figure it out on my own.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

Lychee can split through the z=0 I think - but fair points. I have Meshlab and Blender, but not spent much time with either except fixing non manifold edges in the former!

Would you mind doing a quick "how to" for MeshLab? Grabbed it, but it's got that "UI designed by a developer" thing going for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Microsoft has a program in the Windows store called 3D Builder that I used for that job exactly.

Bonus it's the best lightweight tool for repairing STLs that come up red in lychee slicer

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Count Thrashula posted:

Microsoft has a program in the Windows store called 3D Builder that I used for that job exactly.

Bonus it's the best lightweight tool for repairing STLs that come up red in lychee slicer

I have no way to run Windows unfortunately.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kylaer posted:

I tried using Blender to fix a part that has a void inside it that is messing up the print, and bounced off it hard. I need to watch some tutorials I guess because I cannot figure it out on my own.

You can take the sledgehammer approach or the scalpel approach. Sledgehammer is pop in to xray view, find the void, dump another mesh on it, resize where necessary to overlap everything then let your slicer print it as a solid. Scalpel is edit mode, select vertices and start manually re-connecting them to cut it off and rebuild the surface you want. I don't recall the exact key command to connect vertices, you'd have to Google that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kylaer posted:

Blender is the most obtuse program I've ever used but it's worth learning the useful bits, it's super good for a free program.
just watch video tutorials cause everything is contextual or hidden multiple menus deep and very few things can just be easily figured out on your own

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bird food bathtub posted:

You can take the sledgehammer approach or the scalpel approach. Sledgehammer is pop in to xray view, find the void, dump another mesh on it, resize where necessary to overlap everything then let your slicer print it as a solid. Scalpel is edit mode, select vertices and start manually re-connecting them to cut it off and rebuild the surface you want. I don't recall the exact key command to connect vertices, you'd have to Google that.

You can select 2 vertexes, then right click and choose Connect Vertex Pairs to create a new edge between 2 vertices.

If there's a void in the model, does that mean that there's geometry inside the main mass of the object, like a cave hidden inside the body of the model? If that's the case I would just select and hide a large patch of the outside surface so I could see the internal geometry, then select those faces and delete. Some selection modes may allow you to isolate problem geometry too, depending on the topology, like Select by Trait- Interior Faces.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Currently I slice for FDM with Elgoo Cura. The prints are amazing, but the UI is hot garbage. I downloaded Orca, and I love the UI, but the profile it has for the Neptune 4 Pro is vastly different than what the Elgoo Cura one is (that came w/ the printer). I exported both the machine and material profiles from Cura, but Orca won't import them. This is most likely due to me being dumb. Has anyone done this before?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

had someone looking for some ww2 trucks for bolt action, i found some stuff on thingiverse and figured id give it a shot, i usually do this stuff in resin but hell, .12 fdm can look ok.

1:45 and 32 cents in filament later, we have a loving cool truck

theres a few tanks and other trucks to do, dude loved it and is buying a ton so hurray

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Crossposting from the DIY thread because it got drowned out in FDM chat:

Springfield Fatts posted:

If I'm attempting resin prints and getting nothing but very well printed rafts and support nests with the actual models mounds of poo poo in my vat is the issue simply more supports? I'm heating the resin to 85F, lift speeds have been slowed to 65mm/m, and thought I was anchoring it well enough with a few heavy supports.

It's just some 28mm infantry, nothing too heavy though it is a full plate so suction on the fep would be pretty strong. Exposure test prints were fine, and bafflingly one plate of models already printed successfully using the faster speeds. Here's an example of how I'm supporting them:

I'm on my fourth attempt of these, each time adding more supports, each time failing with the same results.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
That looks like it should be plenty of support. Have you successfully printed other things and are just having failures with these, or are these the first things you've attempted to print?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Like I said, the infuriating thing is I already have one plate of them correctly printed using these settings. I've also tried emptying / filtering resin, and reslicing the file in case there was some kind of error, and using a few different USBs just in case it some kind of issue there. All failing the same way.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I don't know if a slow lift speed really helps with that kind of issue. I have my lift speed set at 180 and it's been fine. I'm assuming you're using the same resin as before? The supports are looking fine but if everything is failing maybe try to do automatic supports with Lychee. Have you successfully printed anything else since you've had those issues?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Tried that, even with the usually over the top Ultra settings on the auto supports it still failed. I haven't tried any other prints since beating my head against this one, I'll try a different one tomorrow and see.

Edit: same resin but like I said cleaned and filtered and successfully printing as recently as Sunday.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Those look like they're from the "March to Hell WW2" line by 3DBreed miniatures, I think they included presupported ones (or at least, I believe they did on the Kickstarters I backed). Maybe give one of the presupports a try and see.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
They are, I usually rescale them making the presupports iffy but I'll try one and see how it goes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I'm on my fourth attempt of these, each time adding more supports, each time failing with the same results.

Sorry I missed out on that response over there. One thing I've done that is a bit of s sledgehammer-for-a-fly reaction when I just wanted something to print and didn't feel like digging deeper is to put one gigantic support at the lowest point as a huge-rear end anchor for everything else. Somewhere it won't be at all visible, like the bottom of that guy's back foot. Just a solid 1 or 2 mm rod, no tips for contact, just a solid rod. Won't get to the root of your issue but if it's all the supports along the way failing then an anchor at the bottom can sometimes give them all a chance to form.

As for longer term, root cause stuff maybe try a few amerilab towns and tweak your lift speed or exposure time settings? Some of the little spikey things on the side of the town let you know how thin you can print before failure, from what you were saying it *can* print, you just have problems at the support juncture specifically which narrows it down in my mind to only the points where things are thin.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I can't tell from the photo, but are all of the supports light?

What I usually do with models like that is add a few "medium" supports on the foot or whatever's the bottom of the model, to act as a kind of anchor so that the light supports are less likely to pull off. If it's a big model I'll do a heavy support or two also.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Echoing others that maybe a thicker support at the bottom of the feet might help. That guy has some Matt Gaetz forehead going.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Those supports look fine afaik. Maybe you can tinker with them a bit, but I'd wonder what your settings are like. Have a screenshot of your resin profile?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

Those supports look fine afaik. Maybe you can tinker with them a bit, but I'd wonder what your settings are like. Have a screenshot of your resin profile?

That's a point I'd also forgotten, if the exposure time for normal layers is too low, it'll print faster but the connection points between the minis and the supports will also be weaker (and if the time is too high, then the connection points will be stronger, but may also potentially damage the mini when removing them).

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah 90% of this is probably going to come down to settings/exposure more than anything.

I'd be running off some cones of callibration and seeing where your at. Particularly awesome test because it's tuned for getting supports to be perfect

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 8, 2023

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Some results and wanted to address a few points. The presupported mini printed fine, the rescaled one had two flubs that I predicted would happen when you shrink ones that you can't recalculate the supports on.

Exposure: I'm running 2.7s per layer on ABS-like which was found using both the cubes and cones of calibration for honing in that time.
Supports: these are all actually medium supports with heavies being used on the bottoms of the feet, first points of contact, etc. However my medium tip diameters are .28mm with a 2mm length vs the .68 / 3mm defaults. I don't love the idea of the damage and cleanup this would cause but that sure beats a puddle of goo so it's my next step. It still doesn't address that fact that i've been able to print perfectly fine with these settings for almost 5 months since getting the M3 but ah well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Some results and wanted to address a few points. The presupported mini printed fine, the rescaled one had two flubs that I predicted would happen when you shrink ones that you can't recalculate the supports on.

Exposure: I'm running 2.7s per layer on ABS-like which was found using both the cubes and cones of calibration for honing in that time.
Supports: these are all actually medium supports with heavies being used on the bottoms of the feet, first points of contact, etc. However my medium tip diameters are .28mm with a 2mm length vs the .68 / 3mm defaults. I don't love the idea of the damage and cleanup this would cause but that sure beats a puddle of goo so it's my next step. It still doesn't address that fact that i've been able to print perfectly fine with these settings for almost 5 months since getting the M3 but ah well.

Yeah something's off here. I run light supports on low density 99% of the time without issue

Fep/LCD weird or damaged?

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Not that I can see. Fep is clear aside a few very minor dimples you'd see in normal wear and tear. Running the exposure / tank clean I don't see anything hosed in the LCD.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Any big temperature changes where you are, compared to when you did the successful print? Even indoors, my prints started failing like crazy in winter until I got a heating belt to preheat my resin vat.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, my printer is enclosed with a heater set to 85F. Turns out it was the support diameters, test models came out ok. Removal is more annoying and still doesn't explain why my .28s were working fine last month but I'll take a successful print over a failure any day.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
What kind of heater works best? My printer is an Anycubic M5s if that matters.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I have one of these inside the case of my M3. True vat bands are more effective but I never liked the idea of permanently attaching it and then having one more thing dangling around while trying to avoid dripping resin everywhere.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I am immediately wondering if my difficult-to-predict-and-test-for problems are heat given it's winter.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have drank the cool aide and have been watching and reading about 3d printing stuff for the past few weeks. My printer and other supplies have arrived today, may my wallet be protected.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

spectralent posted:

I am immediately wondering if my difficult-to-predict-and-test-for problems are heat given it's winter.

My printer is up in my unheated attic, and when I put it in a box with a heater so I am always printing at the same temperature, my prints because amazingly consistent and so I highly recommend using something. Ambient temperature definitely affects exposure times, so eliminating that as a variable is a good thing to do.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

BadLlama posted:

I have drank the cool aide and have been watching and reading about 3d printing stuff for the past few weeks. My printer and other supplies have arrived today, may my wallet be protected.

Whadja get?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

BadLlama posted:

One of us, one of us.

Honestly free poo poo from Thingiverse could keep you happily printing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I recommend buying a bundle from Loot Studios. They have a lot of cool models and their supports are really good, if even a little bit much. They are who I recommend to any first time printer. Also, it sounds odd, but printing smaller stuff can be harder, at least in the miniature world, so starting off with some 75mm figures can be a good introduction.