Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FMguru posted:

Strong spine for a 16 year old.

AITA for saying to my dad ‘I’m not that interested in reconnecting with you’?

quote:

I told him I am not really that interested after he abandoned me for years and only showed up again because he could not make another child to replace me and my brother.

Stepmom immediately going in on OP's dog was a deliberate effort to sabotage her husband's tentative efforts to reconnect with his abandoned family, right?

:drat: I like the cut of this kid's jib

E: going back to stepmom, I could see that mentality - after all, OP's dad is bringing her around his ex AND the kids she used to babysit....awk-waaarrrddd

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FMguru posted:

Stepmom immediately going in on OP's dog was a deliberate effort to sabotage her husband's tentative efforts to reconnect with his abandoned family, right?

what effort lol

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Pirate Radar posted:

English gets the word “swastika” from Sanskrit, so, yes.

E: the Nazis didn’t call it a swastika anyway (because they were speaking German)

Not to continue this derail, just hoping some history buff can save me from putting unpleasant things in my search history. What DID the Nazis call the swastika?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Not to continue this derail, just hoping some history buff can save me from putting unpleasant things in my search history. What DID the Nazis call the swastika?

Hakenkreuz (hooked cross). I think it's just generally a German term rather than a specifically Nazi one.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I mean, Hanlon's razor says never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity and it seems like the babysitter's original gently caress up was not keeping her mouth shut around Dad of the year.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Someone is very upset about her backup plan moving on with life and leaving her behind.

AITAH for firing back at a girl with "I asked you out three times"?

quote:

I (25M) grew up in a relatively small village among with "Amy" (25F). We were in the same class since kindergarten right up until graduating from High School, and then we went to the same city for college.

Me and "Amy" used to be relatively close to each other and we confided our grievances with the world. We got each other. We gave each other advice. Etc. Etc.

Obviously I had feelings for her which lead me to ask her out when we were 14. I got shot down, because I went about it in a really stupid way. Our friendship took a slight hit but recovered pretty fast and it was back to Tuesday.

Later on when we were 18 and in the last year of high school, we obviously matured, and we found ourselves going on "micro dates" to speak of where we accompanied each other to chores around the city we attended High School in. My feelings for her flared up again and I managed to orchestrate a pretty "romantic" day for us, where at the end I asked if we could dip into something more serious.

She replied with her having to study for national exams and prepare for college. I accepted this and moved on, keeping up the friendship.

Skip a year and we are in college in an other city that is about 2 hours away with bus. Naturally we frequently took the same bus when going between home village and college city, so in that time we had a lot of time to talk.

I remember a talk vividly with her expressing frustration with being single. At the end of that bus trip I asked if she wanted to grab a coffee sometime, which she refused citing college obligations.

I accepted this and kept up the friendship, like nothing happened.

Fast forward 5 years. We finished college 2 years ago. I found a job in college city, she moved back home. Since we didn't have the same frequency of meeting up, we fell off. I wouldn't have said I didn't consider her a friend but we were not talking on the daily or... tbh, monthly.

I fell in love with a colleague of mine 6 months ago, and while I know we are still in the honeymoon phase, she makes my gray days bright and colorful. [ :unsmith: - Ed.]

Neither of us use social media that much so our relationship was pretty much only known by my close nit friends and family, purely because we didn't care to make it everyone's business.

2 days ago my girlfriend asked if she could post a couple's pic on her FB, and OFC I saw nothing wrong with it and I agreed. That night "Amy" messaged me with something that would translate to "I guess you really did move on from me". I don't know if the tone is lost in translation but it felt like it was supposed to be an insult. So I fired back with "I asked you out three times"

A day later her BFF messaged me to tell me that I'm a disgusting pig that is only interested in hooking up with women.

My girlfriend says that I'm nothing like that, but we could commit murder and still find the mental gymnastics to back each other up, so I would like an outside opinion.

So, AITAH for telling a girl that "I asked you out three times?"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Too long for a thread title I think, but 'we could commit murder and still find the mental gymnastics too back each other up' is pretty spot on.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Deified Data posted:

If you meet assholes all day, etc etc

nah, dollars to donuts it's a le epic reddit fascist spinning a yarn about how sometimes it's cool to have swastikas in your home. Like would a Hindu family even call them swastikas?

Thanks for unintentionally giving me a laugh, I really needed that after this workday lol.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The hindu invented hitler

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Theophany posted:

I mean, Hanlon's razor says never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity and it seems like the babysitter's original gently caress up was not keeping her mouth shut around Dad of the year.

Maybe she should have kept her legs shut too...

I was going to say maybe someone that young can't deny the influence of an older person in authority, but she was in her 20's - That's old enough to know better.

EDIT: vvvv That's an excellent point.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 26, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe she should have kept her legs shut too...

I was going to say maybe someone that young can't deny the influence of an older person in authority, but she was in her 20's - That's old enough to know better.

Unless he posted more it's too vague to say that...

quote:

My(16m) dad(47) cheated on my mom with and married my former babysitter(26). He hasn’t visited us for four years

Babysitter is 26 now, hasn't visited for 4 years, doesn't mean that the affair didn't happen 10 years ago.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As a parent my first reaction is "drat it sucks that the mom had to find a new babysitter, it's really hard to find a good one"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FMguru posted:

Someone is very upset about her backup plan moving on with life and leaving her behind.

AITAH for firing back at a girl with "I asked you out three times"?

She got a power trip thinking this dude was still pining for her and is devastated that that is not the case.

also: Weird trip uncle got an update
UPDATE: AITA for telling my uncle to stop "gifting" my daughter extravagant trips

quote:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on my last post.

A lot of people asked me why I was being so nice to my uncle and honestly, I think I underestimated how weird it was because it's been so normalized in my family. I didn't want to cause drama, so I went about it as non-confrontational as possible. I agree now I should've been more direct. Another concern a lot of you had was, that I allowed this to happen to my daughter previously. That is not true. This is the first time he promised her one of his trips. That's why I decided to say something, so this doesn't become a recurring thing.

Here's the update. I tried to call my uncle twice but he didn't answer. I got through to my aunt and explained everything to her; how many times he did this to my siblings and I and how often we were disappointed. I told her my daughter was so excited and that if they were actually planning to take her on this trip, I would apologize. She didn't take that well. She told me I was creating unnecessary drama and that my daughter and I are acting "entitled" to expect them to drop everything to go on this trip. I was shocked and angry. I said how dare you say that. She didn't imagine this trip in her mind and then expect you to take her, you PROMISED her this trip. Her disappointment is not entitlement. I said it's not my job to make sure a grown man feels secure in himself and it's a shame my family spent so long coddling him. I was so mad I just hung up.

I don't feel any ounce of guilt for setting my boundary anymore.

For everyone asking if I can take my daughter on the trip, unfortunately that theme park closes for the season this month. But I surprised her with something even better. After the phone call with my aunt, my partner and I decided to book a trip to Disneyland! It sounds crazy and impulsive, but we've been wanting to plan this for a while now and decided it's the perfect time. My kid IS entitled to an extravagant trip. Last night, we sat her down and explained that her uncle won't be able to take her on the trip. I tried to be as honest as possible without confusing her. She was unsurprisingly upset and had a lot of questions. After we answered them all, I told her not to worry because her mom and dad are taking her somewhere instead. When she found out it was Disney, she was over the moon. She's spent all day deciding which Minnie Mouse stuffy she wants to take with her. I told her to tell her class her trip got upgraded.

All things considered, it's a happy ending. I know I won't always be able to protect her from disappointment, But I sure as hell will do my best. She's getting that giant hotel room she was promised.
Entitlement: Asking people to do things they promised to do.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

She got a power trip thinking this dude was still pining for her and is devastated that that is not the case.
Yeah, her presumed doormat picked himself up and walked away, and she's pissed.

LOL at complaining for a solid hour on a bus ride about how lonely you are and how much you hate being single, and when the guy you're complaining to asks if maybe you'd be interested in getting coffee or something you come right back with "oh no, I am far too busy with college obligations".

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Hughlander posted:

Unless he posted more it's too vague to say that...

Babysitter is 26 now, hasn't visited for 4 years, doesn't mean that the affair didn't happen 10 years ago.

Even if it was just 4 years ago that the cheating and divorce all went down, 22 is still hella young. That's one year older than US drinking age. It's not even old enough to rent a car on her own. If you're following a standard 4-year degree without delays/issues, that's the "expected" age of a college graduate. Whereas the ex-husband/dad was 43.

43 - 22 = 21

He is more than old enough to be her father.

That's a creepy age gap and a power difference (him being her employer at the time, more or less) in one. Just because she was legally an adult doesn't mean that there wasn't a violation of ethics here.

And that's giving the dad the benefit of the doubt, and not assuming that this started earlier.

She's still one of the assholes in the specific event with the dog, but lets not underestimate the shittery from dear ol' dad here.

Kurieg posted:

also: Weird trip uncle got an update
UPDATE: AITA for telling my uncle to stop "gifting" my daughter extravagant trips

Thank you for the update, it's nice to see good parents doing the good parents things :)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My [28M] boyfriend [27M] of two months got really mad because I want to visit my really depressed friend in our 2 month aniversary, and if I do so, I wouldn't be able to talk to him on the phone at 6pm. Am I being unreasonable?

quote:

Today is our 2 month anniversary since we became a couple, but we didn't have anything planned for today, but we have plans on Saturday. We didn't plan anything because I work in the morning, and he works today from 2pm to 11pm, so we decided to wait for the weekend.

Today he told me that he wanted to talk to me at 6pm (during his lunchtime) but I told him that I wanted to visit my severely depressed friend, who's been having really rough months lately. My bf got really mad, and he told me that I was picking my friend over him in our anniversary, but I told him that we didn't even have any plans today, and that we could talk at midnight, just like we always do everyday... by the way talking on the phone twice a day seems too much for me.

We have been fighting a lot, but today he seemed particularly unreasonable to me, should I ditch my plans with my friend?

TL;DR: My boyfriend is mad because I want to visit a depressed friend in our second month anniversary, even though we didn't have any plans today, I'm only going to be unable to talk to him at 6pm.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Two times a day every drat day sounds exhausting. Visit your friend and sever from this Insecurity Elemental.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

FMguru posted:

I would argue more an attempt to criticize/belittle OP's mum and position herself as the better wife/mother/person. Which, I suppose is a minor pedantic difference, but still one worth mentioning I think.

Also, the balls on this dude, "You better be nicer to me and my child-bride, or else we won't have a relationship." First, dude you didn't have a relationship for 4 full years entirely based on your choice. Second, the way to a father/daughter relationship is not through "be nice or else" type threats, especially when you are the one who left and have chose to have nothing to do with her for 4 important formative years of her childhood.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
…a vicious and dangerous golden retriever?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

You should see what that monster does to tennis balls :ohdear:

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

haveblue posted:

I assume either A) lady has dog-related trauma and assumes all dogs are bad ideas or as was suggested earlier B) lady wanted to ruin the dad's attempts at reconnection and that's what she landed on

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
She was just jealous of the dog's ability to show and receive affection.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OP's daughter is in fact entitled. Entitled means you have a right to receive something. People are entitled to that which they've been promised.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Maybe the lady's only exposure to golden retrievers is that scene from Airplane! where the dog attacks the guy who comes to pick up Captain Rex Kramer

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Silly Newbie posted:

She was just jealous of the dog's ability to show and receive affection.

I am often reminded of that Grimm fairy tale comic where Sleeping Beauty was under the sleep curse, but she and her prince had broken up. So only a kiss of true love from a prince would wake her. Turns out a lick from a dog named Prince works too.

I found tickets for a cruise that my bf got me. This gift has cemented for me that this relationship is over.

quote:

I need to let this out without getting pushback from family and friends who think his gift is romantic so im using a throwaway.

My birthday is coming up in a few months and 3 days ago, i found out what my birthday present was which are tickets to a cruise. His sister spilled the news thinking I would be excited and im not. We live together and I found the gift and know it's for me. I sound so ungrateful but I'm not. This gift just proves to me that things will never change.

The first thing is this gift isn't for me. I do not like cruises because I get really bad sea sickness and nothing I do helps. I also told him what I wanted to do for my birthday which was go to a Renfaire festival on my birthday. I have already taken the week off from work for it in preparation to go this fair. I have purchased tickets and am saving month to month so that I have spending money without it affecting finances at home. Why would he book tickets the same time as the time I took off to go to this festival. Also this cruise wasn't cheap at all so it's bascially wasted money because im not going.

I'm so annoyed. I have told him time and time again that I dont feel like he listens to me, that I feel like he just gets me things by thinking about what's best for him or what he would like. It's not only gifts. He makes decisions based on what he thinks is best and i just cant deal with it anymore. I love him but I'm so done and before anyone says I didn't talk to him or to talk to him about this, I have repeatedly. This has been a recurring conversation in our 2.5 year relationship. The next thing to do is talk this out and end things.

Edit: I appreciate the comments and concern about cheating but I know the gift is for me because it was in really nice packaging that said "Happy Birthday (my name)" and the bag had like cruise ship related items and possible excursions. The effort he went to, it made me sad because that means he could have put in a little effort about the things i like. If he had even just gotten me a ticket for the Renfaire festival or accessories from online or even a piece of an outfit that had to do with Renfaire, it would have made my entire month. It would have meant that he listened and got me something that interested me. I'm talking to him tonight, and I'm not even annoyed anymore. I feel nothing about this.

update:

quote:

The day I wrote my post is the day I ended things with my ex. When he came home, I bascially said I found the tickets for the cruise and I asked him who they were for. He said they were for me for my birthday and i ruined the suprise. I asked him why did he get me tickets for a cruise when he knew that I get sea sick and also when he knew that I have been preparing for a Renfaire Festival for a couple of months. He said that he always liked cruises when he went on them and he thought that I could push through it with patches or some other remedy because it was a really expensive cruise. He continued talking but tbh, I spaced out because I realized just how much this man didn't care about me. He brought cruise tickets completely disregarding what I had planned, how I would feel, and what i wanted to do all because he liked them. Like gently caress my birthday, gently caress what I want, gently caress how sick i get. He likes cruises so we should do that.

I think he realized I wasn't speaking or excited because he asked me what was wrong and I broke up with him. He was shocked and angry and he asked why. This isn't the exact wording but I said something like, "It's because I have realized how much you really don't care about me and that you're always willing to put your wants over mine everytime it suits you, even on my birthday." He started to argue and wanted to talk about it but I was just numb and went to bed on the couch. After 2 hours of trying to speak to me, he left me alone.

I woke up the next day and got ready for work. I oddly felt fine and he wanted to talk but I just said I'm done and if he wanted to talk about the apartment or what we would do about the lease or anything regarding the end of the relationship, I'm ok with that. I told him I'm not changing my mind about this and for me, this relationship is done and I just want to split amicably. While I was at work that day, I had free time and I wrote down every instance I could remember just in the last 6 months of him choosing his wants/needs over mine. It was nearly three pages front to back and I didnt even realize how much I let go off because he didn't want to do it. When I went home and he tried to talk again, I gave him the list and I explained what it was. He left me alone the rest of the second night.

He's still not accepting the breakup. He wants to do couples therapy now or even go on a break because he realizes how much he has done but NOPE, I'm not doing it. I'm not trying to be mean or harsh to him but I don't want to give him false hope. I also feel weirdly ok but also numb at the same time. What I have to deal with now is breaking the lease which he isn't willing to do because he thinks we can move past this. So im going to talk to the leasing office and see my options. At least I have my birthday to look forward to as I deal with a relationship ending and having to find a new place to live.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, you can only break up if he wants to.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am often reminded of that Grimm fairy tale comic where Sleeping Beauty was under the sleep curse, but she and her prince had broken up. So only a kiss of true love from a prince would wake her. Turns out a lick from a dog named Prince works too.

I found tickets for a cruise that my bf got me. This gift has cemented for me that this relationship is over.

update:

I vote we make this woman the new Pete.

Because she did everything right. She did everything politely, firmly, and had her best interests at heart. She was not swayed, and is moving on with her life.

YAY for her.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
How the hell do you get seasick on a cruise ship. They're enormous and they have active stabilizers and they deliberately don't sail through rough water.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cerekk posted:

How the hell do you get seasick on a cruise ship. They're enormous and they have active stabilizers and they deliberately don't sail through rough water.

The one cruise I've been on, half my family was out for the first couple days because they couldn't even handle the rolling motion in regular seas, some folks just can't handle it well :shrug:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I’m (33f) am out of town husband (37m) isn’t taking the kids to school.

"I’m out of town for two weeks leaving my husband and kids (16, 13, 7) at home. Husband took vacation time from work so he could be at home with the kids to tend to them while I’m away. The 16 yr old gets taken to and from school by her bio mom every day. She’s been getting to school with no problems. The younger two have not. It’s been three days into my trip. The first day the younger two did not go to school because husband slept in until after noon, saying he put the time in for alarms but forgot to toggle them on. Day two, despite being in different time zones, I had woken up around the time school was starting so I gave him a call to check in. My call woke him up, so they were late but at least they made it. Day three, I had woken up around the time that the kids should be getting up for school. I thought about calling again but I was groggy and just wanted to fall back to sleep so I did, and also I just kind of felt like - I shouldn’t have to call. He should be able to handle this. So I didn’t. Well I guess I should have because around noon their time I get a text saying that they’ve missed school again. He says he woke up with a headache so he got up to take some medicine and must have fallen back to sleep.

Should I just start making sure I’m awake so I can call every morning to be sure they’re up?

Typically when I’m at home I’m the one who gets them up in the mornings and gets them to school. Unless I’m sick or something then I’ll have to wake up and spend 30 minutes or so begging and fighting with my husband for him to get up and do it and usually even if does get up, they’re late because he refuses to get up at the time I initially wake him up.

The situation has really stressed me out. The school will get involved if the kids have so many absences.

I’m really disappointed in husband but not surprised given the pattern we have when I’m home.

TLDR: husband isn’t waking up in time to take kids to school while I’m out of town."

In the comments:
Yeah so OP decided to get herself a boyfriend despite her husband’s objection 4 years ago and calls it polyamory. She says her husband can’t afford to live without her so he’s just stuck. She then asked Reddit if she should choose her boyfriend over her husband and “abandon the kids” to do so. Can’t imagine why the kids aren’t living a stable life.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cerekk posted:

It's possible that she's only been on normal smaller boats, got seasick, and is just assuming it'd be an issue. Lots of people make that assumption, have to get talked into trying a cruise, then find that they don't get the slightest bit seasick.

Of course, the post isn't really about whether or not she would have gotten sick on a cruise or is just assuming she would have; the real thing is that she's already got plans that she really wanted to do and he totally ignored that. And it's apparently a common enough issue that she could write up dozens (hundreds?) of examples off the top of her head of times he didn't give a poo poo about her.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shifty Pony posted:

I’m (33f) am out of town husband (37m) isn’t taking the kids to school.

"I’m out of town for two weeks leaving my husband and kids (16, 13, 7) at home. Husband took vacation time from work so he could be at home with the kids to tend to them while I’m away. The 16 yr old gets taken to and from school by her bio mom every day. She’s been getting to school with no problems. The younger two have not. It’s been three days into my trip. The first day the younger two did not go to school because husband slept in until after noon, saying he put the time in for alarms but forgot to toggle them on. Day two, despite being in different time zones, I had woken up around the time school was starting so I gave him a call to check in. My call woke him up, so they were late but at least they made it. Day three, I had woken up around the time that the kids should be getting up for school. I thought about calling again but I was groggy and just wanted to fall back to sleep so I did, and also I just kind of felt like - I shouldn’t have to call. He should be able to handle this. So I didn’t. Well I guess I should have because around noon their time I get a text saying that they’ve missed school again. He says he woke up with a headache so he got up to take some medicine and must have fallen back to sleep.

Should I just start making sure I’m awake so I can call every morning to be sure they’re up?

Typically when I’m at home I’m the one who gets them up in the mornings and gets them to school. Unless I’m sick or something then I’ll have to wake up and spend 30 minutes or so begging and fighting with my husband for him to get up and do it and usually even if does get up, they’re late because he refuses to get up at the time I initially wake him up.

The situation has really stressed me out. The school will get involved if the kids have so many absences.

I’m really disappointed in husband but not surprised given the pattern we have when I’m home.

TLDR: husband isn’t waking up in time to take kids to school while I’m out of town."

In the comments:
Yeah so OP decided to get herself a boyfriend despite her husband’s objection 4 years ago and calls it polyamory. She says her husband can’t afford to live without her so he’s just stuck. She then asked Reddit if she should choose her boyfriend over her husband and “abandon the kids” to do so. Can’t imagine why the kids aren’t living a stable life.
Polyamory may ruin a lot of marriages but it gets to school on time so who can say if its bad

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

update:

quote:

He started to argue and wanted to talk about it but I was just numb and went to bed on the couch. After 2 hours of trying to speak to me, he left me alone.

Really enjoying this mental image that they were already arguing on the couch and when she decided she was done, she just flopped over and played dead until he left her alone

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

MagusofStars posted:

It's possible that she's only been on normal smaller boats, got seasick, and is just assuming it'd be an issue. Lots of people make that assumption, have to get talked into trying a cruise, then find that they don't get the slightest bit seasick.

Of course, the post isn't really about whether or not she would have gotten sick on a cruise or is just assuming she would have; the real thing is that she's already got plans that she really wanted to do and he totally ignored that. And it's apparently a common enough issue that she could write up dozens (hundreds?) of examples off the top of her head of times he didn't give a poo poo about her.

There are plenty of other great reasons to hate cruises. Like norovirus, obnoxious amounts of carbon emissions, being in close proximity to the kind of people who go on cruises

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cerekk posted:

My wife gets seasick standing on a floating dock. Some people's inner ears are just really sensitive.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITAA for either letting my mom be homeless, or offering her a plane ticket to our home country?

quote:

I(29F) am originally from a north african country, but currently live in the UK.

When I was 5, my dad divorced my mom and vanished. 2 years later, she met a guy online, married him and moved to France. She lied to him, said she was never married and had no kids, so I was forced to pretend that she was not my mother when they visited every other year.

I was left with my grandma, and she did her best to raise me, but she was pretty old by then, so I ended up being the caretaker when I got a bit older. Nevertheless, I knew my best bet was to study hard, so I did so.

I went to a top engineering school, then started working for a multinational, then I was promoted amd moved to the french branch. By then my grandma has passed away, my mom already had pretty much no contact with me, and her kids thought me as the orphan that their grandma used to raise, so I didn't even tell her that I moved to france.

2 years ago, I moved to a new company in the UK, and I make a pretty good living, and with no one to support, I am pretty financially secure.

Then my mom reached out to me. Apparently her husband divorced her, her kids can't help her (I don't know why, she mentioned some financial reasons), so she got my number from a cousin I'm in contact with, and wants me to move her in with me.

I told her that will not be happening, the only help I will be offering was a plane ticket back to our home country, and she can then do whatever she wants, but as far as I'm concerned, I don't owe her anything.

Most of my family are on her side (mainly because of religious and cultural reasons), but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't letting resentment cloud my judgement.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cerekk posted:

Idk because I've never been on one and would rather be dead than go on a floating hotel of boomers

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pirate Radar posted:

Bold strategy:

Can a divorce be put continuously on hold if the woman keeps getting pregnant by another man?

What's a Starbucks wife?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Really enjoying this mental image that they were already arguing on the couch and when she decided she was done, she just flopped over and played dead until he left her alone

going 'bleh' and having my eyes turn into little crosses to end an argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

I vote we make this woman the new Pete.

Because she did everything right. She did everything politely, firmly, and had her best interests at heart. She was not swayed, and is moving on with her life.

YAY for her.

That's because if she swayed she'd throw up, didn't you read the post?