Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lazy devs..... lazy devs everywhere..... sick of the bull poo poo
its about time for gamers to rise up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

No it's not Resident Evil Engine, it's REach for the moon Engine

Why does the guy in that video pronounce the letters separately then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

its about time for gamers to rise up

Unfortunately, the gamers are also lazy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

I picked up a game called Ozymandias, no idea what it's referencing with the title

It’s called that because the saves automatically delete themselves.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

homeless snail posted:

the real story it turns out is just, 2023's continued trend of people refusing to optimize, like everyone simultaneously forgot that computers arent magic
https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/1717641500891238536

Teeth? Surely someone on their team was brave enough to model uteri

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Thinking about the DLC in RE2R and how in Kendo's scenario the music does this sick dynamic thing when you enter the parking garage and it presents you with a big explosive thing to shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1sdg4NpXkU

God, I played the HELL outta those 'The 4th/Ghost Survivors'. Hunk had a great track as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtBVJKS0tnc, but like you say, my favorite scenario was Kendo, mostly because of the music when it kicks in as you get to the parking garage: I've never felt so badass, jogging through zombies as some portly old dude. I also love it when he gets to the ladder right after, climbing down and hitting each rung almost as if to the beat: something about that feels so intense and motivated to me.

Dewgy posted:

REX engine?

Dino Crisis remake????

I'm down, but here's the big question: would it be for Dino Crisis 1 or 2? Because if it's for 2, then hell yeah!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To be fair, games should be modeling entire organs and blood vessel systems, at least a little deeper than Dwarf Fortress does. The ideal game engine perfectly models chemistry and physics so that developers aren't even modeling things, just applying the right chemical gradients to primordial soup to generate characters and NPCs as needed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

To be fair, games should be modeling entire organs and blood vessel systems, at least a little deeper than Dwarf Fortress does. The ideal game engine perfectly models chemistry and physics so that developers aren't even modeling things, just applying the right chemical gradients to primordial soup to generate characters and NPCs as needed.

Space Station 13 in 3D is the dream

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Did Last of Us 2 really have a unique heart rate for each NPC?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

signed, the guy that thinks ray tracing is a good idea

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FutureCop posted:

God, I played the HELL outta those 'The 4th/Ghost Survivors'. Hunk had a great track as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtBVJKS0tnc, but like you say, my favorite scenario was Kendo, mostly because of the music when it kicks in as you get to the parking garage: I've never felt so badass, jogging through zombies as some portly old dude. I also love it when he gets to the ladder right after, climbing down and hitting each rung almost as if to the beat: something about that feels so intense and motivated to me.

I'm down, but here's the big question: would it be for Dino Crisis 1 or 2? Because if it's for 2, then hell yeah!

RE2R was so loving good and had so much effort put into it (they even added an entire extra Tofu mode with different jiggly foods with different armaments!) Kinda hope we'll see some weird/silly/expansive DLC later with RE4R too

In general games really interweaving music into their design is one of my favorite things- Metal Gear Rising, DMCV, and Furi are some of my favorites in that regard

Any games done this well recently? Think Nier Automata did this with some of the boss battles at least.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

We get it, you played Noita

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

isn't that Baba Is You

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Monkey Fracas posted:

RE2R was so loving good and had so much effort put into it (they even added an entire extra Tofu mode with different jiggly foods with different armaments!) Kinda hope we'll see some weird/silly/expansive DLC later with RE4R too

In general games really interweaving music into their design is one of my favorite things- Metal Gear Rising, DMCV, and Furi are some of my favorites in that regard

Any games done this well recently? Think Nier Automata did this with some of the boss battles at least.

Hi-Fi Rush is all about interweaving music with combat.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Nier Automata was definitely pretty cool as it transitioned back and forth between the 8-bit tracks for hacking: love listening to them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPN63PASd0. And of course, the bit at the ending where the chorus comes in at a critical juncture gives me shivers just thinking about it: being vague so as not to spoil it. Nier was also great with the last boss fight removing instruments as you deplete the boss' health.

Street Fighter 6 is nice too as it cuts seamlessly to certain parts of the song depending on how the fight is going: for example, I always recognize the chill whistle of Rashid's theme when you're transitioning between rounds as heard around 2:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt2BX2Em6bc

I know Portal was pretty creative with this as well, where the music can add instruments or change when you're activating parts of the puzzle or using bounce pads and gel and so on. This video showcases those and plenty of other neat examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSBC4WWO3RY

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

signed, the guy that thinks ray tracing is a good idea

ray tracing is a scam, who is tracing the waves??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

ray tracing is a scam, who is tracing the waves??

Ray, duh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FutureCop posted:

Nier Automata was definitely pretty cool as it transitioned back and forth between the 8-bit tracks for hacking: love listening to them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPN63PASd0. And of course, the bit at the ending where the chorus comes in at a critical juncture gives me shivers just thinking about it: being vague so as not to spoil it. Nier was also great with the last boss fight removing instruments as you deplete the boss' health.

Street Fighter 6 is nice too as it cuts seamlessly to certain parts of the song depending on how the fight is going: for example, I always recognize the chill whistle of Rashid's theme when you're transitioning between rounds as heard around 2:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt2BX2Em6bc

I know Portal was pretty creative with this as well, where the music can add instruments or change when you're activating parts of the puzzle or using bounce pads and gel and so on. This video showcases those and plenty of other neat examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSBC4WWO3RY

I love the Portal music and how it shifts and changes as you move through the puzzles.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

the real story it turns out is just, 2023's continued trend of people refusing to optimize, like everyone simultaneously forgot that computers arent magic

were they trying to make loving dwarf fortress 3D, what the hell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Outer Wilds has 4 astronauts playing different parts on different instruments, and there’s a trophy for finding a place in space where your directional antenna can pick up all 4 of them at once and hear the whole piece

This also comes into play in the ending sequence in a beautiful way

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Teeth? Surely someone on their team was brave enough to model uteri

If you find city skylines 2 is lagging too much, I recommend setting graphics to low to remove the vagina bones.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The UE5 matrix demo let you fly really fast from across buildings down to right in a pedestrians face and you could watch their faces go through the evolution of 3d graphics with their LODs, from N64 GoldenEye through mass effect on to contemporary.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Clayman :(

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

homeless snail posted:

its weird as gently caress that it keeps happening

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where else did it happen? I can see why it happens though, lot easier to make something look too good than it is to make something performant.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They probably outsourced the models and didn’t realize they had teeth

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The mouth is the worst part to model, rig, and animate.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Where else did it happen? I can see why it happens though, lot easier to make something look too good than it is to make something performant.

starfield's sandwiches

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

the thing is, it doesn't look better, those polygons are too small to resolve to pixels, and swapping them out for simpler lod models when they're that far away is not hard (generating the lods is built into the character generator they use also)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

VostokProgram posted:

starfield's sandwiches

idk about sandwiches specifically, but the ultra high poly models I saw going round twitter turned out not to be real. never trust a tweet.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
That's a lod of unnecessary polygons in that mouth

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Wasn't there some other game people were talking about here a couple months or so ago that performed like crap until the devs realized "Hey, each bat doesn't need to be modeled like a drat pixar character"?

I don't remember what it was, but it was definitely a thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

skeletronics posted:

Wasn't there some other game people were talking about here a couple months or so ago that performed like crap until the devs realized "Hey, each bat doesn't need to be modeled like a drat pixar character"?

I don't remember what it was, but it was definitely a thing.

You might be thinking of Stranger of Paradise

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

serial killer copycats but its game devs and the barrel from FFXIV 1.0

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There are two possibilities that I think of. One is that the overly-detailed NPCs for one reason or another don't actually contribute that much to the frame time so profiling the rendering pipeline didn't single it out as being a major optimization point and the polygon count issue is just an oversight related to procedurally generating the meshes. The other is that the developers either didn't do any meaningful performance profiling, or didn't know what to look for to diagnose this issue.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the simplest explanation was probably a horrific mismatch between the art and developer team over performance requirements, possibly with an art team that hadn't worked on a simslike where you're expecting to render hundreds or thousands of those guys on screen at any given moment

there's a really funny story from the WoW WotLK days where the area design team, in a desire to pepper up dalaran, added in a toy shop, and one enterprising designer decided to make a cute snowglobe of the city by taking the whole entire city model and shrinking it by 1000% inside a fishbowl, which caused people with poorer PCs to just instantly crash the moment they stepped into the shop. that kind of thing can happen if you bring people on who only really understand the artistic side of the project and not the whole technical side

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
can't properly mod yakuza 7 because my save was on gamespass, and gamespass wont change button prompts away from xbox, so now i just have to replace the art files with playstation prompts, except it doesn't apply to battle mode bc the mod person couldn't find the files

homeless snail posted:

the thing is, it doesn't look better, those polygons are too small to resolve to pixels, and swapping them out for simpler lod models when they're that far away is not hard (generating the lods is built into the character generator they use also)

that's what i mean by "too good." It doesn't need to have details that simply will never be large enough to be visible. and i was thinking of when u have to make your own LODs and that sucks but lol if the generator is supposed to do it itself.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

the simplest explanation was probably a horrific mismatch between the art and developer team over performance requirements, possibly with an art team that hadn't worked on a simslike where you're expecting to render hundreds or thousands of those guys on screen at any given moment

there's a really funny story from the WoW WotLK days where the area design team, in a desire to pepper up dalaran, added in a toy shop, and one enterprising designer decided to make a cute snowglobe of the city by taking the whole entire city model and shrinking it by 1000% inside a fishbowl, which caused people with poorer PCs to just instantly crash the moment they stepped into the shop. that kind of thing can happen if you bring people on who only really understand the artistic side of the project and not the whole technical side
Yeah but the game apparently runs so poorly that the company put out pre-release damage control about it. Presumably in that WoW story, someone on the programming team identified there was an issue in that area and subsequently went in to investigate the issue and discovered that model causing all kinds of issues. In the case of this game, either this issue is not actually contributing to the problem very much so it went unnoticed under scrutiny, or there's nobody on the team who actually knows about what causes these kinds of problems or how to identify and fix them (or for whatever reason, the people who do know how to do that never actually did it).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I heard FF14 v1.0 had a bunch of problems lile that, like it had barrels that were way higher polycount than entire player characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Speaking of FFXIV, on the flip side, there can certainly be cases where the game can have ridiculously low-poly models, such as Endwalker's famous grape diamonds. I believe it was done for performance reasons as it was a very graphically-busy area and they don't look too bad considering the typical zoomed-out third-person player camera, but when you first enter the farm zone, you get a cinematic cutscene where the camera zooms in close to various areas, including the grapes, and doesn't bother to switch to high-poly models to match that context. It became a famous meme, and eventually the developers updated the grapes for a higher-poly model, both to the delight and disappointment of players.

Original low-poly grapes:

Patch memes:

Updated grapes:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1473247016339881984

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 27, 2023