Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

But do those influence the algorithm at all? I don't really care about rating songs if it's just gonna be me that ever looks at it.

It does not for the discovery station I can say that for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

But do those influence the algorithm at all? I don't really care about rating songs if it's just gonna be me that ever looks at it.

Not a clue, I ignore anything algorithm driven and build my playlists like it's 2000 and my mp3 player tells me it really whips the llama's rear end.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

Not a clue, I ignore anything algorithm driven and build my playlists like it's 2000 and my mp3 player tells me it really whips the llama's rear end.
Same. I know the difference between songs I merely like and the absolute bangers, and being able to make a smart playlist of just the five star bangers from specific bands is too useful a feature to drop, since there’s no nuance in how much you can Love / Thumbs Up a song.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

OldSenileGuy posted:

*today I started a Nirvana station, and after 3 songs it started playing mid-00's Radiohead and The Killers. I love both Radiohead and the Killers so I can see why it would play them, but they don't fit on a Nirvana station! I guess just skipping the songs SHOULD help the algorithm determine what to play on the station, but I'm not sure if it actually does.

this makes me so irrationally angry. i'm guessing this is how boomers felt when they started playing hair metal on 60s/70s rock stations

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mr. Fix It posted:

this makes me so irrationally angry. i'm guessing this is how boomers felt when they started playing hair metal on 60s/70s rock stations

I have fun referring to 70s rock as "oldies" to people and watching them get mad

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Remember when AM debuted and they had all sorts of third party curated playlists and then secured a bunch of patents to analyze DJ sets. Well they don't promote those anymore because they often included music that Apple would have to pay higher royalties for. We've just looped all the way back around to Clear Channel's business model at this point and it's only going to get worse now that Apple is buying up labels and distributors.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The machines are each referred to as "AM", which originally stood for "Apple Music", but was changed to "Adaptive Manipulator" and upon gaining sentience, "Aggressive Menace". It finally refers to itself as purely "AM", referring to the phrase "I think, therefore I am."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a way to turn off the crappy articles below Google search results?

They aren’t even helpful, I don’t need Android suggestions for questions I wasn’t asking

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowy posted:

Is there a way to turn off the crappy articles below Google search results?

They aren’t even helpful, I don’t need Android suggestions for questions I wasn’t asking

Switch to Kagi?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

101 posted:

Switch to Kagi?

I can't check right now cause my 100 searches are up, but they have massive answer boxes suggesting some poo poo I didn't search for, and it's only marginally better in terms of results.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I started using DuckDuckGo to eliminate Google's latest bullshit. I find myself having to fall back to Google way less often than when I last tried Bing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop using Google. Easy.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

101 posted:

Switch to Kagi?

This is the right answer.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

rufius posted:

This is the right answer.

I just switched to it. Not always the best results but better than Bing or DuckDuckGo ever were.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Was there any consensus on the best way to get around blocking YouTube ads on iOS?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hadji murad posted:

Was there any consensus on the best way to get around blocking YouTube ads on iOS?

What works for me is using the Safari browser for youtube and the Vinegar extension, works great (so far)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hadji murad posted:

Brave browser is perfect for it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

VPN to sign up for YouTube premium. I think I pay about $4 a month for YT family.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

virinvictus posted:

I just switched to it. Not always the best results but better than Bing or DuckDuckGo ever were.

For me at least, Kagi is about as accurate as Google when accounting for no trash ads/promoted results and keeping SEO spam out of the results.

The Kagi Assistant is pretty neat as well. If it’s about as good as ChatGPT 4 over time, I may cancel my OpenAI subscription.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

There’s also a SponsorBlock Safari extension, but you have to watch videos in Safari instead of YouTube’s app.

kri kri posted:

VPN to sign up for YouTube premium. I think I pay about $4 a month for YT family.

So I tried this with a few different VPNs/Countries/Credit Cards and Google always blocked me during the transaction process. I think it’s because I’m trying to do it with my US Google account or something?

I’ve heard of people doing this over the last year and would love to get it working on my existing YouTube TV family account for me and my friends but it hasn’t worked every time I’ve tried it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 5, 2023

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Corb3t posted:

There’s also a SponsorBlock Safari extension, but you have to watch videos in Safari instead of YouTube’s app.

So I tried this with a few different VPNs/Countries/Credit Cards and Google always blocked me during the transaction process. I think it’s because I’m trying to do it with my US Google account or something?

I’ve heard of people doing this over the last year and would love to get it working on my existing YouTube TV family account for me and my friends but it hasn’t worked every time I’ve tried it.

i used the google account i signed up for in 2004 using my normal credit card and a random hotel i found on google maps as the billing address. this was around a year ago now though, so maybe they've gotten wise.

despite the price i pay going up about 7.3x, i'm still paying like 3 bucks a month for it lol

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What country did you use? I’ve heard Argentina is the best one to use but of course Mullvad doesn’t have servers there

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I used India and it’s $2.28 a month.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i did argentina. i use private internet access as my vpn provider

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

OldSenileGuy posted:

What country did you use? I’ve heard Argentina is the best one to use but of course Mullvad doesn’t have servers there

If you’re willing to do the legwork any place you can create a server in can work. Spin one up, toss WireGuard on there or whatever, connect to it and surprise, you have a personal VPN to wherever. It’s how I “move” to India every year for about 45 minutes despite them banning VPNs.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
any recs for a simple content blocker that allows custom filters on top of the typical ad lists?

i’m using the free version of 1Blocker right now, which doesn’t include custom filters. i don’t particularly want to pay the $40 they want for lifetime, nor do i want any of the dns or vpn stuff, but maybe that’s the best option and I should stop being a cheapass?

edit: not saying i want something free, just cheaper than paying $40 for a bunch of extra features i won’t use

dc3k fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 7, 2023

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

dc3k posted:

any recs for a simple content blocker that allows custom filters on top of the typical ad lists?

i’m using the free version of 1Blocker right now, which doesn’t include custom filters. i don’t particularly want to pay the $40 they want for lifetime, nor do i want any of the dns or vpn stuff, but maybe that’s the best option and I should stop being a cheapass?

edit: not saying i want something free, just cheaper than paying $40 for a bunch of extra features i won’t use

I’ve stopped using content blockers, which have always felt janky, and just use NextDNS (with the HaGeZi -normal list) now. It’s been such a huge quality of life improvement. Rarely does it cause issues, and it blocks ads and poo poo inside of apps, too, not just in Safari. I pay $20/yr and use it across my whole network, but you can probably use it on just your phone for free if you’re not a super heavy user.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mint is closing, so I’m looking for a new budgeting app. I use Mac OS X as well, and I’d like something not 100% manual. I use wings credit union if that matters.

Shared budget is a must, preferably using iCloud.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

kri kri posted:

Mint is closing, so I’m looking for a new budgeting app. I use Mac OS X as well, and I’d like something not 100% manual. I use wings credit union if that matters.

Shared budget is a must, preferably using iCloud.

It doesn’t use iCloud but in my limited experience so far (~2mo) Quicken’s Simplifi has filled the Mint hole for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YNAB (you need a budget) is the best and it’s not even close.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This has been the answer since at least Mac OS System 8 in the 90s and probably before that but I was too young to think about accounting at that point.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

maduin posted:

I’ve stopped using content blockers, which have always felt janky, and just use NextDNS (with the HaGeZi -normal list) now. It’s been such a huge quality of life improvement. Rarely does it cause issues, and it blocks ads and poo poo inside of apps, too, not just in Safari. I pay $20/yr and use it across my whole network, but you can probably use it on just your phone for free if you’re not a super heavy user.

I do run a pihole and automatically vpn to it whenever im off my home network, but I still like content blockers for a few things, particularly avoiding cookie consent popups. But also I’m interested in a custom rule to help curb my stupid addiction to Instagram reels, ie I want to block https://instagram.com/reels so I stop sitting around flicking through idiotic videos for 30+ minutes at a time.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

its this even if i am still salty about their price hikes and weird cultish vibe

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yep.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Any new insight when Journal app will be released by Apple?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Queer Grenadier posted:

Any new insight when Journal app will be released by Apple?
It's in the 17.2 betas, so whenever 17.2 gets a public release.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a recommended photo editing app that isn't a million dollars or filled with AI bullshit? I need to do stuff like punch out text and just want something simple for my iPad. I have Pixelmator and it took me way too long to realize that using masks is reserved for the desktop app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EC posted:

Is there a recommended photo editing app that isn't a million dollars or filled with AI bullshit? I need to do stuff like punch out text and just want something simple for my iPad. I have Pixelmator and it took me way too long to realize that using masks is reserved for the desktop app.

I was gonna say pixelmator but lol.

How about Procreate?

https://procreate.com

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I was gonna say pixelmator but lol.

How about Procreate?

https://procreate.com

I mostly use procreate myself, but it is definitely not as photo-focused as it is painting/sketch focused. That works for me but some fellow more photo-inclined folks I know don’t love it. Maybe look up your common workflows in the quite robust procreate documentation to see how much it’ll fit without extra effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think YNAB stinks. Tried it a few times, doesn't fit my budgeting style and doesn't have the features I need.

I would suggest checking out out Copilot and Simplifi as well.