Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Now you can finally realise https://xkcd.com/253/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Captain Melo posted:

It's ok, I got to 100k pop before I realized you can remove crosswalks with the crosswalk tool under road services

Thank you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/tombomp/status/1717641500891238536?t=b1BITmIUuBgrfYUSlcm0qw&s=19

I hope this is true lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Shouldn't Low Poly Cims be a day 1 mod then

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eric the Mauve posted:

it depends on if you can immediately mod citizens. the mod editor they're adding won't support everything that CS1 did when it gets added and they haven't really said what is and isn't included.

they're also apparently adding around 2000 new assets when the paradox mod launcher thing is ready, which presumably is why there are so few low density houses right now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are so many unanswered questions and so many things I'll never understand. If the performance problems are truly caused in large part by overkill cim graphics, why wouldn't they just include a Banished Style Cims option and call it a day?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Patch improved my performance, although i still get weird hitching at times when moving the camera.

How should I be setting up my specialized industry areas? I kind of just make them long rectangles but I'm not sure what the ideal building-to-working area is.

E. Never mind my whole PC just bluescreened off it lol

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 27, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My city is still pretty small but I bumped LOD and textures up to high with no apparent performance hit.

:tif:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The "gently caress It We Ball" school of railroad crossings

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been trying to make a safe interchange here for like 40 minutes and instead I'm saying gently caress it, most dangerous interchange in the city. Good luck.
lol amazing

I've only put in about 6 hours but so far I loving love this game. Running it with a RTX 3080, everything on high. I had some performance issues but then saw a twitch streamer turn off motion blur, did that and performance has been solid.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

There's three subway stations in this view.
I can't find them, can you?

Is this how I am supposed to build this or am I missing something very obvious?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Why the gently caress isn't autosave on by default? I just lost two hours of play because the game crashed.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

honestly if Paradox had allowed CO to do a 2 week "pre-order sneak peek" that would've been more than enough to get feedback and implement some fixes. Like the patch today definitely improved my performance, they would've been able to have that at launch!

I don't get why Pardox doesn't start releasing their stuff as EA. Every release they've had has some amount of "there's a good game in here, just needs some extra tweaking/content". Launch this as EA and the diehards that are gonna buy it will get to play knowing there's gonna be issues, those on the fence know to wait and won't be burned by a bad first experience, and reviews won't be hit by the stuff that hasn't been fixed yet.

Vic3 could have used a couple patches based on public play and it looks like the 1.5 patch coming soon could be the real release. Stellaris and CK3 were in the same boat off the top of my head.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why the gently caress isn't autosave on by default? I just lost two hours of play because the game crashed.

I'm so lucky I stumbled on that option while skimming the options menu, boneheaded decision to be off by default

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

I don't get why Pardox doesn't start releasing their stuff as EA.

They do. They just don't call it EA.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eric the Mauve posted:

That and the fact that most of their games are only really complete after a fuckton of DLC with features held back. I guess you get to pick and choose what DLC you want but it isn't a 60 dollar game, its more like a 100 dollar game even if you pick up DLC on sale.

edit: But the games they publish really don't seem to have much competition so they get away with it. Much like CA and Total War.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It will never not be funny that Paradox printed truckload after truckload of money with a game in the genre EA's subsidiary invented, with the march-of-the-expansion-packs business model EA pioneered (via The Sims). After EA destroyed its own franchise in said genre and the renowned studio that invented it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Post Offices/Post Sorting facilities seem broken. The mail piles up and nobody actually takes it to be sorted.

Also land fills are broken. You can plop Hazardous Waste Collection Points on top of the garbage pile with no decrease in capacity, but doing so locks the garbage pile area tool for having an overlapping item forever.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Not sure if it's been posted before, but CPP has a video out yesterday called the Ultimate Beginners Guide for CS2. I almost didn't watch it because I felt it would be to basic, and at an hour length I didn't want to get bored out of my mind learning about RCI.

Anyways I'm glad I decided to click, he explains a shitton of UI tips/tricks to simplify placing roads/pipes and all that poo poo. I was a bit blown away, and will probably need to watch it a second time to make sure I picked up all the fundamentals. This really is a new game, not just CS1 with new graphics, and I think a bunch of us need to unlearn some old habits that is making adjusting harder than it has to be.

Watching him painlessly connect wires and water pipes, slope roads, and rotate ploppables to fit odd geometry had me going :aaa: more times than I can count.

Just watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoZz06Etwm4
Just 15 minutes into this and god drat I learned a lot already. Thanks for sharing this.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I like the option for the district painting tool, but I don't like that it is the only way. THe painting tool worked great for making sure nothing gets left out. Now I have to finangle tiny rear end corners in a lovely UI to make neighboring districts.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
How is everyone doing with garbage?

I'm at 32k pop and producing 128t/month and processing only 93t/month.
I got a landfill, 2 recycling plants and incinerator with some upgrades and all are maxed out in storage

Do I just keep building more plants?
I'm pushing $1mm monthly cost for the services.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

from dne01s video i think incinerators may be broken right now and don't actually process their storage

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Is there any way to set parking prices citywide? Better yet, divided by roadside/lot settings, so I can punish these idiots who are clogging up my roads when there's perfectly good parking right there?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Game loves to load my autosave instead of manual save.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

turn off the TV posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17gv2y8/the_potential_of_this_is_insane/

why the game doesn't snap these areas to the road automatically is one of life's greatest mysteries

Probably because making it look nice automatically involves enough fiddling and special cases and edge cases to warrant punting it to the back of the queue when they aren't crunching to finish core functionality.
Pretty much any kind of procedural generation needs a long cycle of fiddling and adjusting until it looks good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are so many unanswered questions and so many things I'll never understand. If the performance problems are truly caused in large part by overkill cim graphics, why wouldn't they just include a Banished Style Cims option and call it a day?

Didn't someone say they generated cims with a tool? If so they're p much limited to what the tool can do, and they definitely didn't have man-hours in the budget to manually make a new set of cims.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 27, 2023

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

from dne01s video i think incinerators may be broken right now and don't actually process their storage

Yea something isn't working correct that is for sure.
When I set my landfill to transfer the garbage out, it only uses 1 of 20 trucks to do so.

My landfill looks great and wouldn't totally slide into the river

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Digital Jedi posted:

How is everyone doing with garbage?

I'm at 32k pop and producing 128t/month and processing only 93t/month.
I got a landfill, 2 recycling plants and incinerator with some upgrades and all are maxed out in storage

Do I just keep building more plants?
I'm pushing $1mm monthly cost for the services.

If you feel like cheesing it, don't build any garbage capacity at all. Garbage trucks will come from outside of town and collect it for you at no charge. I think they forgot the service fees for garbage.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress, I know it's been said but low-density residential demand is insatiable

I've been ignoring it completely for 4 hours of play time this evening and things have been fine. I have much higher medium and high density demand now that I have higher education and lots of offices. Rent is going up and up on my existing low density and when the homes eventually get abandoned I rezone to medium

Also I've finally figured out connecting up my subways. Minus 22.5 metres is the magic number to build tracks at the same depth as those built into the stations

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kyte posted:

Probably because making it look nice automatically involves enough fiddling and special cases and edge cases to warrant punting it to the back of the queue when they aren't crunching to finish core functionality.
Pretty much any kind of procedural generation needs a long cycle of fiddling and adjusting until it looks good.

Didn't someone say they generated cims with a tool? If so they're p much limited to what the tool can do, and they definitely didn't have man-hours in the budget to manually make a new set of cims.

Yup

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/17gfq13/the_game_does_render_individual_teeth_with_no_lod/

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/jaketropolis/status/1717703591144689763?t=JGJFpCAsYckmSpjHqMjPRw&s=19

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Granted on a 4090, but this patch 100% fixed any fps issues I had

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Eric the Mauve posted:

first mod I get is replacing all the Cims with robotron 64 models.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Got a Reddit post arguing that the economic simulation is all smoke and mirrors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/s/Vw9qN3HbYE

FPyat fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 27, 2023

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That... is extremely disheartening

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This took forever, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Hopefully, future overpasses go faster.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

FPyat posted:

Got a Rsddit post arguing that the economic simulation is all smoke and mirrors.

That has to be a big, several of the pretelease videos from YouTubers was showing them doing exports and stuff

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

smoobles posted:

this exact road exists somewhere in Texas

Don't loving lie about the Texas HWY system (with the exception San Antonia), until you've witness the spaghetti HWY system that is west coast.

Fake edit: Please someone save me from this hellhole of a road system. NO ONE CHECK THEIR BLIND SPOT HERE!

Fake edit2: Seriously, on three separate occasions, I have witness someone driving on the wrong side of the HWY in less than a year. These people are crazy here.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 27, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

FPyat posted:

Got a Rsddit post arguing that the economic simulation is all smoke and mirrors.

ngl this killed my desire to play until it is fixed (if indeed it is a bug) or changed (if it's deliberate) :(

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's the point. You know it's EA, I know it's EA, everyone that's played Paradox games knows 1.0 is de facto EA. Just call it that and everyone is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress, I know it's been said but low-density residential demand is insatiable

Its weird, people keep saying this but in my city what little is deteriorating and only two thirds are still being used. People just don't want low density housing in my city.