Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jewmanji posted:

This joke is apparently going way over my head

It just annoyed me how a "wealthy" family of 3 is complaining about "high rent".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Jewmanji posted:

This joke is apparently going way over my head

You aren't alone.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

MikeC posted:

It just annoyed me how a "wealthy" family of 3 is complaining about "high rent".

welcome to America

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

MikeC posted:

zooming in on that house and wow the level of detail in CS:2 is nuts

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Apparently there are a bunch of free asset packs on the way when Paradox Mods is up. A couple thousand buildings made by the modders with early access. Themes are Japan, UK, US East coast, US west coast, China, France, Eastern Europe, and Germany.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Grand Fromage posted:

Unfortunately nope. Residential taxation is based on education level for some reason.

I dove into the code to try and figure this out, and I think it’s a problem with the UI text not explaining the actual system correctly.

They SAY tax is based on education level, but that’s not accurate because citizens can work a job lower than their education if desperate. The actual code shows the tax each agent pays is calculated based on their job level, not education level. I don’t know why they didn’t just present it in the UI as an actual progressive income tax since that’s what it is.

And to answer the original question, there’s nothing in the tax system related to property tax that could be used to encourage movement. I haven’t looked into how the land value and rent stuff fully works yet, but you have no direct control over those values.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 26, 2023

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Gamepass players, did the update/patch come out on that platform too or did steam only get it for now?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

buglord posted:

Gamepass players, did the update/patch come out on that platform too or did steam only get it for now?

Only steam today.

quote:

Unfortunately, this patch is only available on Steam today. We're doing our very best to make it available on Microsoft Store as soon as possible.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

My FPS went from 12 in 4k with everything on max to stable 60fps with a RTX 4090.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

TjyvTompa posted:

My FPS went from 12 in 4k with everything on max to stable 60fps with a RTX 4090.

This is great to hear but also I’m frustrated on behalf of the devs. Clearly they needed like one week of public beta to stress test the game on a ton of hardware and I blame Paradox for not giving them the resources to solve these problems before release.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Snowmanatee posted:

This is great to hear but also I’m frustrated on behalf of the devs. Clearly they needed like one week of public beta to stress test the game on a ton of hardware and I blame Paradox for not giving them the resources to solve these problems before release.

Yeah that is super unfortuate. A pile of bad reviews and negative youtube videos when it could have just been pushed a week and none of this happens.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Snowmanatee posted:

honestly if Paradox had allowed CO to do a 2 week "pre-order sneak peek" that would've been more than enough to get feedback and implement some fixes. Like the patch today definitely improved my performance, they would've been able to have that at launch!

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I suspect this is something that I’ve noticed in other games with a lifecycle: The game Magic’s in uneducated adults who then fill their house with kids. Because you are constantly expanding the city, tons of people have to show up and get elementary education and then make new kids that need elementary education.

On a long enough timescale, you sort of catch up to this and the “magic, uneducated influx of people” slows down and evens out. Or maybe not, and things are tuned in such a way that you can’t ever get ahead. I tend to think something like this is at play because high school is the only tier that clears easy, and if my experience is fairly common, you get the elementary and high school up fast and then have a long while before the college and university make sense. When those go up, you immediately have a ton of people crushing those services too. It makes sense, because you’ve been cooking every possible person in high school and then they have nowhere to go. You’re creating a bottleneck by expanding with uneducated cims and another by delaying putting down the higher education services.

Again might be total bullshit, this is just some observation combined with experience from other similar games with similar systems.

I have no idea what's going on with high school. I built mine when my pop was less than 5k and I'm already at ~95k pop now and I don't think the high school has ever seen more than 900 kids in it. This is also while my elementary schools have been maxed out at capacity for a while. Do people age at a rate that matches the year in the in game clock? Just going by memory now since I'm at work, but I know I've only been through four or five winters so am I setting myself up to have some wild high school overcrowding once that first cohort ages up? My education screen looks so strange with like 10k+ kids in elementary, and 3 colleges and 2 universities at capacity while high school is a wasteland. I know that people can move into the city for college and university so those numbers aren't so confusing to me but the high school one will never not look strange.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Is there some way I missed just to extend your existing mass transit lines? I don't want to have to re-draw my lines every time I extend my trams, but it seems like the tool just creates new lines every time.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

Is there some way I missed just to extend your existing mass transit lines? I don't want to have to re-draw my lines every time I extend my trams, but it seems like the tool just creates new lines every time.

You should be able to open the loop tool again and then click and drag at a point that already exists on the loop to make a new waypoint/stop

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Some person on Reddit posted:

Based on taking a bit of a peek with RenderDoc, it seems that almost everything is rendered with instanced draw calls, so you are correct on that. The bigger problem is that at least it seems that all meshes are always rendered at full resolution, there are no LODs. For example, a model of shipping containers that is rendered on top of cargo ships has about 31 500 triangles. It took maybe 5 by 10 pixels of the frame and had details that were definitely unnecessary at that scale. A lot of the models seem to be unoptimized just in general, such as having invisible detail inside the model.

It also seems that all objects cast shadows, even ones that are inside a building or just have too small detail in general to be of any relevance for shadows unless they're really close. Because of this, it seems that the shadow maps are very low in resolution, so the shadows look terrible AND still have a massive performance impact.

31.5k tris. drat.

I didn't plug in Renderdoc while I still had CS2 installed, so I'm glad someone did. Cripes.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
this is exactly where i am right now

https://twitch.tv/videos/1959826623?t=9290s

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

honestly if Paradox had allowed CO to do a 2 week "pre-order sneak peek" that would've been more than enough to get feedback and implement some fixes. Like the patch today definitely improved my performance, they would've been able to have that at launch!

Yeah this seems like the best way to approach it. Let people who absolutely want in as early as possible to play "pre-release" and use that to figure out where the biggest easy gains can be made. The way Steam handles pre-orders people will be able to refund anytime during that window as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been trying to make a safe interchange here for like 40 minutes and instead I'm saying gently caress it, most dangerous interchange in the city. Good luck.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

bagmonkey posted:

Honestly this kind of thing happens so often that I have to wonder if there is some sort of mechanism on the graphic card manufacturer side that doesn't allow them access to the architecture unless there's complaints. Surely if *everyone* has issues and the issues can be fixed within a day or two then there has to be something other than "no dev tried the production build on a normal computer at any time"

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
How does the specialized industry production work with the specialized area? My one livestock farm appears to be producing 12.5t of product, but I have a 10t deficit. Is it enough to just extend the area and make it 2x as large, or do I need to make a new hub?

Can I see their individual output anywhere?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
the game says "buildings can be upgraded to reduce pollution" but unless I'm missing something, I don't see any upgrades for geothermic power stations that reduce pollution. are there only certain types of utility that can be upgraded this way? air pollution is killing my city despite being what should be more than far enough away and there's nothing I can do to mitigate it other than put things increasingly further away every time my city expands

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
This is worse than "nobody tried a production build". This is "nobody ever looked at a profiler and nobody checked that LODs exist" bad. We are talking about foundational technology anyone who works on 3D games knows about.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been trying to make a safe interchange here for like 40 minutes and instead I'm saying gently caress it, most dangerous interchange in the city. Good luck.

:staredog:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

this exact road exists somewhere in Texas

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've edited the intersection and either found a bug or I'm missing something.

Trying to upgrade this to have two lanes on the right side and one on the left is seemingly impossible, so I can't make the lane mathematics work.

Use public transit or enter the Thunderdome.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the opposite of a diverging diamond.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Grand Fromage posted:

Traffic accident reported

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I am slightly puzzled by the Production tab in the budget/economy window measuring immaterial goods by weight. I'm apparently running a deficit of 35.2 tons/month of software in my city. Is that tons of floppy disks, CDs, printed out source code, or how do they measure that?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I've always wanted to play Crossfire but with multi-ton vehicles at extreme speeds

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Grand Fromage posted:

Welcome to The Vortex motherfucker

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

u wanna turn left better be ready for the THUNDERDOME motherfucke

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nielsm posted:

I am slightly puzzled by the Production tab in the budget/economy window measuring immaterial goods by weight. I'm apparently running a deficit of 35.2 tons/month of software in my city. Is that tons of floppy disks, CDs, printed out source code, or how do they measure that?

Electrons have mass.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

I've edited the intersection and either found a bug or I'm missing something.

Trying to upgrade this to have two lanes on the right side and one on the left is seemingly impossible, so I can't make the lane mathematics work.

Use public transit or enter the Thunderdome.

Place the asymmetrical road and then use the road replace option to re-orient it facing the other direction.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Melo posted:

Place the asymmetrical road and then use the road replace option to re-orient it facing the other direction.

Of course it works the same way as one ways. I'm stupid.

Anyway sorry to report the INTERCHANGE OF DEATH has been replaced with a trumpet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
BOOOOO

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just zone a landfill underneath it and remove the crash barriers, the weak drivers will fall and the strong drivers will thrive.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress, I know it's been said but low-density residential demand is insatiable

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course it works the same way as one ways. I'm stupid.

Anyway sorry to report the INTERCHANGE OF DEATH has been replaced with a trumpet.

It's ok, I got to 100k pop before I realized you can remove crosswalks with the crosswalk tool under road services