Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

It’s actually the literal high point and best thing he did as president. If GWB hadn’t thrown such a good pitch, we would have lost in Afghanistan

would have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Eric the Mauve posted:

The actual literal high point of 2001 was Mariano Rivera choking in Game 7

hm this person has some ideas that I wish to subscribe to

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Popete posted:

would have?

Yeah thanks to that pitch we won

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was cackling in the car today listening to Ben on Effectively Wild recall how this was the single most painful sports memory he has, and dreading having to see it frequently next week with AZ back in the Series.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seems like a good excuse to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2nFc1Ps5xA

e: man I forgot about Luis having the most open batting stance I've ever seen

Intruder fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 27, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Upon reflection, it may have been the highlight of all human history

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Eric the Mauve posted:

yes sir

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

:siren:cubsposters: this video contains footage of Rajai Davis game 7 homerun:siren:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

why would you need to trigger warning that considering how it all ended up

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Intruder posted:

Never saw Brian Downing?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

That moment was an absolute gut bunch. I was outside Wrigley Field with thousands of other people and when Rajai Davis hit that home run it went dead silent. Even though the Cubs won it still gives probably every Cubs fan anxiety.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As a recovered ex-Pirates fan I mostly remember Rajai Davis for being traded for Matt Morris' decaying corpse

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

When Davis hit that home run I was pronounced medically dead up until about the end of the rain delay.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It still slightly bugs me that Gonzalez's hit is the only one that people remember when Womack's double was so much more important in terms of WPA

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hal Smith Syndrome

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bawfuls posted:

I tried to sell my friends who are Atlanta fans on the idea of renaming them to the Hammers, barely modifying the axe logo to be a hammer, honoring Aaron, etc and they were like “nah that’s dumb Braves is fine”

I think Georgia will dynamite the Confederate sculptures off Stone Mountain before they rename their dumb baseball team. Or in other words, probably never.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Have you never seen Tony Batista?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaQqwYCqav0

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

With someone like Bagwell, I get what his weird stance is going for. With Tony, is the point basically that final hip rotation to pre-torque his swing?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

With someone like Bagwell, I get what his weird stance is going for. With Tony, is the point basically that final hip rotation to pre-torque his swing?

Batting stance is really just a personal preference thing, ultimately whatever helps you get into loading your back side (load) before you come forward (stride). This is what he looks like as he is coming forward in his stride after loading, looks pretty much like any other hitter.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Intruder posted:

Rivera's error has really been lost to time.

And Andres Galarraga had a pretty open stance.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sydin posted:

When Davis hit that home run I was pronounced medically dead up until about the end of the rain delay.

I didn't have a dog in that race, but Rajai hitting that HR was pretty fuckin cool.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Going on record for sincerely hoping the D-Backs win the world series, going into game 1 tonight.

Almost every prediction from the previous playoff series I saw this year was that they would lose, and they beat the odds. I think the current predictions (that aren't making calls from the heart with the whole plucky underdog thing) are favoring the Rangers, and if so, I hope the trend continues and Arizona pulls it off.

I kept telling my friends who would ask during the NLCS/ALCS, that on one hand if they were to face the Astros, everyone would be cheering the D-Backs on for reasons (good for the Diamondbacks), but on the other hand, they probably have a better chance against the Rangers (maybe good), so, pretty anxious to see how this plays out. I don't have any money on it or anything, just a pretty strong emotional investment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Rivera's error has really been lost to time.

And Andres Galarraga had a pretty open stance.

What happened to all the cool stances. Analytics no doubt

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I have it on good authority that the most effective batting stance is the one where you hold the bat between your legs and pretend it’s your dick

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Baseball is on tonight.

My team is still playing :buddy:

Go DBacks!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Forrest on Fire posted:

Baseball is on tonight.

My team is still playing :buddy:

Go DBacks!

Here's hoping you get to celebrate a win.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Popete posted:

Batting stance is really just a personal preference thing, ultimately whatever helps you get into loading your back side (load) before you come forward (stride). This is what he looks like as he is coming forward in his stride after loading, looks pretty much like any other hitter.

:wiggle:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1717915324723363841?s=46

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Eric the Mauve posted:

watching clips of this because i was too young to care at the time and it is glorious. gently caress the yankees always and forever

go sneks i guess?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I hope that Nathan “Nasty Nate” Eovaldi and the Texas Rangers, “America’s Team” are victorious tonight.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I just want seven games and extra innings and the Diamondbacks to defeat the Texas Alamo Fuckers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm so beside myself that the Rangers even got here, but I really don't think I can heal from 2011 until they win it all. That series against the Astros showed me just how fuckin scarred I still am from David Freese and Nelson Cruz's terrible, horrible, very bad day.

Go Rangers. Get your first, and add another trophy to the "cool things that have happened since the Cowboys became infected with a terminal case of mediocrity." The Stars and Mavs have done it, even if only once, but there's no reason you can't flip the bird to Jerry Jones too.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Rangers winning is the correct outcome, they spent money and actually *gasp* tried to win

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

I'm so beside myself that the Rangers even got here, but I really don't think I can heal from 2011 until they win it all. That series against the Astros showed me just how fuckin scarred I still am from David Freese and Nelson Cruz's terrible, horrible, very bad day.

Go Rangers. Get your first, and add another trophy to the "cool things that have happened since the Cowboys became infected with a terminal case of mediocrity." The Stars and Mavs have done it, even if only once, but there's no reason you can't flip the bird to Jerry Jones too.

Someone asked in one of the threads if we would be okay if Cowboys not winning another Super Bowl or something for as long as Jerry Jones lives if it meant the Rangers won a World Series. I would be fine with the Cowboys being contracted out of existence if it meant a Rangers title.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Bandire posted:

Someone asked in one of the threads if we would be okay if Cowboys not winning another Super Bowl or something for as long as Jerry Jones lives if it meant the Rangers won a World Series. I would be fine with the Cowboys being contracted out of existence if it meant a Rangers title.

100%, and I actively watch and root for the Cowboys

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

100%, and I actively watch and root for the Cowboys

Same, and 30 years of inept management by Jones has led me to only follow the Cowboys out of habit at this point. They are a distant 4th in my DFW team give a poo poo hierarchy.

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

2011 will always hurt, but a title here would help start to ease the sting. I thought I'd be happy just getting here the way they did (thank you Adolis), but in a season that has made no sense, why not just win the whole fuckin thing and exorcise some franchise demons. Go Rangers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

This, unironically

I went to a Dbacks game on September 11 2002 and I remember seeing people in the stands do a little jump-scare duck every time a plane flew overhead. The stadium is right under the flight path of a busy airport so this happened many times.
The 00's were weird, man

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Honestly I forgot the Diamondbacks beat THAT Yankees team so frankly I respect that organization a lot more than I did previously.

Low bars to clear, but you take what you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
"endy chavez makes final catch of 2011 world series for the texas rangers"