Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Mine looks the same. On iOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

withak posted:

No change here. Clear your cache and reload, sounds broken.
It's not a cache thing, they replaced the background color on the default view with a background loosely based on the vegetation from the satellite view. They did this today -- for me at least. I did several google searches before I posted that for "google maps is now unusable" to see if others were seeing it... now I just pulled up maps again and it's reverted. It's like they experimented with just my account. That is fascinating.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Spinz posted:

Add a zero, no poo poo :eek:

It was Nordstrom, and the jeans were only $425, an absolute bargain for rich assholes to cosplay as working class.

https://mashable.com/article/nordstrom-fake-mud-jeans

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 27, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
For $6k you get the whole Look, not just jeans

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Or how about some $870 “dirty and aged” Gucci sneakers?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gucci-distressed-sneakers-sell-for-870/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Or you could just pay $180-260 for some sweet JNCOs

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

not sure if the recommended(?) articles at the bottom are based on my current user profile/tracking metrics, but lol at two gold investing articles. "seniors should invest in gold, gold is going to out perform stock next year"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The fact we don’t have free income tax filing with a far more streamlined system is a loving farce. I can do my Swedish taxes on my phone in under 5 or so minutes.

US taxes? Half a day because despite qualifying for free file, even though I live overseas, rarely is there a filing provider that won’t charge you for the extra forms. I hand file my taxes. Despite earning no income in the US, I still have to file taxes, and I neither pay the IRS anything nor do I get a refund.

Unless I make over a certain amount (which lol, not going to happen) to actually be taxed by the US, it is a tremendous waste of time and energy to file taxes if you live outside of the US. I mean the US government can peep in my Swedish bank account whenever it wants by law, why am I wasting my time here?

withak posted:

If your power cable is failing every year or two then you are doing it wrong.

If this is a MagSafe MBP charger, it’s been poo poo for ages. I used to go through those about once a year. I like Apple products but their charging solutions are similar to Nintendo’s approach to online gaming: unusually abysmal.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Wifi Toilet posted:

The "bugs bunny gave me a cigar that's actually a stick of dynamite" look

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Wifi Toilet posted:

"Welcome to the mud show" is the sign on my bathroom door

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

"Welcome to the mud show" is the sign on my bathroom door

I hope it plays the beginning bass from My Name is Mud every time you open the door

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

teen witch posted:

The fact we don’t have free income tax filing with a far more streamlined system is a loving farce. I can do my Swedish taxes on my phone in under 5 or so minutes.

US taxes? Half a day because despite qualifying for free file, even though I live overseas, rarely is there a filing provider that won’t charge you for the extra forms. I hand file my taxes. Despite earning no income in the US, I still have to file taxes, and I neither pay the IRS anything nor do I get a refund.

Unless I make over a certain amount (which lol, not going to happen) to actually be taxed by the US, it is a tremendous waste of time and energy to file taxes if you live outside of the US. I mean the US government can peep in my Swedish bank account whenever it wants by law, why am I wasting my time here?

US taxes for US citizens living overseas is like the classic example of something that got shittier for no good reason.
For like a hundred years it was an honor system, Uncle Sam wasn't coming to hunt you down unless you were super rich and flagrant.
Then they're like, OK, now you have to do the FBAR to tell us how much money is in your bank account every year. Accidentally forgot to include an old account with zero balance? LOL, $10,000 penalty, maybe if you're lucky they'll reduce it after a few months of begging.
Then they brought in FATCA and all the scummy tax preparers went over the US tax code with a fine-toothed comb to find new ways to drum up business. Turns out some obscure rule designed to keep Halliburton from hiding money in shell companies overseas also means private citizens can't open their own retirement funds abroad! Oh yeah and everyone's bank account got closed too for a while because no foreign bank wanted to deal with that poo poo.
Then in 2017 anyone with a business overseas was made to pay 20 years of retroactive taxes with no warning.

LOL the only countries who do this poo poo are America and loving Eritrea, gj US :patriot:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The secret is i dont keep any money in a bank account in Japan, I just sleep on mattress and pillows made of yen

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The US tax system is the way it is because rich people are good at hiding their money in all the nooks and crannies. Also tax prep is an entire for-profit industry. Zero incentive to change it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my tvs remote has a Netflix button, a YouTube button, a voice command button, and NO loving MUTE BUTTON

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My Google Maps looks mostly the same, but now every time I open it half the screen is taken up by a "Latest in [City I'm in]" menu that I'm sure is just 90% sponsored items. So I have to swipe that down to be able to actually see a useable amount of the map.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
I googled a local gym just now, let's call it "SuperFitness Gym". The full details for "SuperFitness Gym" pop up in the sidebar, website, phone, hours, address, etc. I click the google reviews link, but instead of the 53 promised reviews, I get a new google search for "Did you mean 'Super Fitness Gym Reviews'"? Um, no? There is no "Super Fitness Gym", but there is a "SuperFitness Gym" literally right down the street from me, the details of which were on the screen just a few seconds ago?

I finally managed to read the reviews by going to maps.google.com and searching for the gym there, but sheesh!

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Prettz posted:

I hate to repeat myself but am I the only who saw this? Like a day or 2 ago it was usual google maps, now it's been modern-UI'd, with all that entails. There's also a bar on the left side that's empty except for a hamburger at the top.

it’s not just you, my bf received this new shittier version of google maps too a couple of weeks ago. it’s terrible. you can probably all expect to be enjoying it as well sometime soon

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I can see them giving clothing to the homeless for 3 months, replacing their clothes with new ones once they're worn and selling it for 15 grand. AUTHENTICITY!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

The default calendar app on android has started making GBS threads the bed and I'm not here for it. I already wasn't happy with it- I take a shot every 5 days instead of once a week, and the app simply doesn't have the option to set a recurring reminder like that. It's a computer, why should it have this limitation, I don't know.

But now it is ignoring the reminders I'm setting by hand. I literally set my shot reminders months in advance. By hand. And it's deciding "oh, you didn't need that chime." I go to check and the reminder is there, but it didn't go off. I check to see if I have muted it, if there's human error on my end. But no.

Having the ability to set reliable reminders for myself to do things without having to lug around a dayplanner was a godsend. It made keeping a schedule so much easier for someone with a broken brain like me- I have some fuckery up there that destroys a lot of my sense of time and memory. It takes 4x the work it does a normal person to keep on track, and I started to really rely on my reminders.

Them loving it up is literally like someone snapping a crippled dude's cane.

I'm going to have to use a manual dayplanner, which is a lot harder and more cumbersome. I'm so angry.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Mine gives me the option to select number of days when I pick 'everyday' under repeat. Not sure what else is going on there, never had any of those issues with my calendar before.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

You Are A Werewolf posted:

It was Nordstrom, and the jeans were only $425, an absolute bargain for rich assholes to cosplay as working class.

https://mashable.com/article/nordstrom-fake-mud-jeans

Those will look sick with my $800 cowboy hat. Someone should invent glue on calluses and dirty nail polish to give you that fashionable grime forever trapped under the cuticles look.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
one thing i dislike about google maps is the checkbox for disabling Highways is kind of hidden in a few menus.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

my biggest google maps annoyance is that the touch input to rotate the map (a thing i almost never want to do) is nearly the same as the touch input to zoom the map (a thing i almost always want to do).

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I hate the new route color schemes in Google maps. I use dark mode, and the blue for the primary route is so close to the slightly lighter blue for alternate routes that I have to really look to differentiate. A glance doesn't cut it anymore. I'm mildly red-blue colorblind, so maybe that's why, but this didn't use to be an issue.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

purplestuffedworm posted:

I googled a local gym just now, let's call it "SuperFitness Gym". The full details for "SuperFitness Gym" pop up in the sidebar, website, phone, hours, address, etc. I click the google reviews link, but instead of the 53 promised reviews, I get a new google search for "Did you mean 'Super Fitness Gym Reviews'"? Um, no? There is no "Super Fitness Gym", but there is a "SuperFitness Gym" literally right down the street from me, the details of which were on the screen just a few seconds ago?

I finally managed to read the reviews by going to maps.google.com and searching for the gym there, but sheesh!

Apple maps is doing something similar to me. If I type in an area it shits its pants trying to show me all the businesses in the area. Chill the gently caress out. I just want to see the town, and know where it is. If I wanted to search coffee shops near Lakeland I would have done that.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

AARD VARKMAN posted:

my tvs remote has a Netflix button, a YouTube button, a voice command button, and NO loving MUTE BUTTON

My TV remote has a button for Netflix, Hulu, and something called Sling. No clue what Sling is.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just use my phone. It’s way better.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

DicktheCat posted:

The default calendar app on android has started making GBS threads the bed and I'm not here for it. I already wasn't happy with it- I take a shot every 5 days instead of once a week, and the app simply doesn't have the option to set a recurring reminder like that. It's a computer, why should it have this limitation, I don't know.

Create new event or task -> click where it says "do not repeat" -> custom -> every 5 days

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ghost emoji posted:

My TV remote has a button for Netflix, Hulu, and something called Sling. No clue what Sling is.

It's been a while, but it used to be live TV. I'm not sure what it is now.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

anonumos posted:

It's been a while, but it used to be live TV. I'm not sure what it is now.

Sling is or was a streaming service for live TV. When I looked into it there was a Blue plan or an Orange plan, or both. Each cost aournd $25 per month and had half of what you'd reasonably want to watch, which meant you'd want both, which meant $50 a month for a pretty limited lineup of channels on a badly made app with ads.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We replaced our oven recently and we like it well enough, except it has an air fryer function that is unusable unless you've set your oven up on wifi.

I know you think you misread that, so I'll say it again plainly:

Unless you set your oven up on wifi, you can't use the air fryer function.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

We replaced our oven recently and we like it well enough, except it has an air fryer function that is unusable unless you've set your oven up on wifi.

I know you think you misread that, so I'll say it again plainly:

Unless you set your oven up on wifi, you can't use the air fryer function.

Time to jailbreak your air fryer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Should have called it Wifry

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!