Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

haveblue posted:

…a vicious and dangerous golden retriever?

The only dog that ever really attacked me was a Golden Retriever when I was a kid, it tried to bite my stomach out but only tore my shirt cos it was on a lead that was just a little too short to reach me for a proper mauling. It seems weird for the breed but it can happen, if rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Traxus IV posted:

The only dog that ever really attacked me was a Golden Retriever when I was a kid, it tried to bite my stomach out but only tore my shirt cos it was on a lead that was just a little too short to reach me for a proper mauling. It seems weird for the breed but it can happen, if rarely.

maybe kid you just had bad vibes

AITA for refusing to resign a lease weeks before leaving my pregnant sister homeless?

quote:

I (23F) have an Irish twin (24F). We’ve been living together for two years. She is a single mom of a toddler. When we first moved in together the apartment was only in her name and she let me live with her. I was finishing dental assisting school and couldn’t qualify for an apartment on my own. I still paid half the rent and utilities. After graduating and getting a job I became an official added roommate to the lease last year.

I make a lot of money for my age so when my sister was struggling to pay her half of the rent when her job cut her hours significantly it was a no brainer to start paying more. I could easily afford all the rent so covering another 25% is nothing. Plus I love her and my niece. My sister has no help whatsoever from the father so I help her as much as I can. He works under the table so he doesnt get his wages garnished for child support. I have watched her struggle to afford daycare and food for her baby so I also help her with that.

Two days ago my sister sits me down and tells me she has news. She’s pregnant. My jaw dropped. I ask who the dad is and she starts crying. I didn’t expect her to say her deadbeat baby daddy…

I was shocked and she continued on her “explanation”: she saw a girl commenting under his posts and she went on her page and saw they had taken pictures at the same place at the same time. The girl also posted him for his birthday weeks later saying “happy birthday to my fiance”. She messaged her letting her know hes a deadbeat and got blocked. Then her baby daddy called her saying shes a crazy bitch and that led to them getting a hotel room and they slept with each other… all to prove some point to his fiance that hes not loyal and she can have him whenever she wants because she sent her proof after they slept together but the fiance stayed with him…

As she’s telling me this story I just sit there upset. I started asking her if she went to the doctor and how far along is she. She said she did stop by PP and got a scan, shes nine weeks. We live in a blue state so abortion is legal here. I told my sister that I wasnt going to be resigning the lease unless she got an abortion. She looked at me with so much disgust and started crying harder. She called me an evil bitch and said Im a horrible person for making her choose between her baby or having housing. I told her with her hours now she cant afford even half the rent let alone the daycare she splits between me, our dad, and aunt so to understand the position she’s putting me in since the responsibility is falling on me.

She told our family and they’re pissed saying Im being heartless to even ask her that and that I shouldn’t punish her and if I should sign at least 6 months so she can get her poo poo together since 5 weeks isnt alot of time. I said no, she’s ungrateful for all the help Ive done so Im out. They’re saying Im an rear end in a top hat since when I didn’t qualify she let me live with her (even though I paid half).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

There are plenty of other great reasons to hate cruises. Like norovirus, obnoxious amounts of carbon emissions, being in close proximity to the kind of people who go on cruises

Destruction of marine environments, no actual economic benefits for the populace of the places they visit (though plenty of cash for the wealthy people that own the tourist traps near the cruise ports!), and obnoxious assholes that don't know how to behave themselves being let out among innocent people.

The cruise industry is really loving bad all around. Please do not go on cruises.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

🪗 WIBTA if I put a pronoun sticker (that isn't accurate for me) on my accordion case? 🪗

quote:

I always use she/her when I talk about my accordion; I prefer that other people do the same (though obviously this isn't something I enforce). I think it would be fun if I put a she/her sticker on her case. Which seems pretty harmless but also people might think that the sticker meant MY pronouns were she/her, since it's more common for people to use pronoun stickers for themselves than for inanimate objects. My pronouns are not she/her.

In my mind it would be very funny to be like "oh, no, sorry, those are my accordion's pronouns, not mine!" if anyone got confused. I might be the AH for thinking that setting people up to fail just so I can correct them is 'funny,' but also, it's not like it would be just a prank. Those are actually my accordion's pronouns. (If it makes any difference, she/her is the pronoun set most people assume for me anyways.)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mx. posted:

maybe kid you just had bad vibes

AITA for refusing to resign a lease weeks before leaving my pregnant sister homeless?

quote:

I should sign at least 6 months so she can get her poo poo together since 5 weeks isnt alot of time
lmao as if she's going to get her poo poo together in 6 months

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Cerekk posted:

How the hell do you get seasick on a cruise ship. They're enormous and they have active stabilizers and they deliberately don't sail through rough water.

There's a slight sway, even in calm water and with the stabilizers engaged. Especially if you're indoors, and in a room where you can't see the horizon, it can be enough to trigger motion sickness. And most of the cabins are interior ones.

Plus, while cruise ships avoid known storm paths, the weather can shift quickly and even just trying to avoid the storms can require enough speed to make things very Boaty.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Shifty Pony posted:

I’m (33f) am out of town husband (37m) isn’t taking the kids to school.

"I’m out of town for two weeks leaving my husband and kids (16, 13, 7) at home. Husband took vacation time from work so he could be at home with the kids to tend to them while I’m away. The 16 yr old gets taken to and from school by her bio mom every day. She’s been getting to school with no problems. The younger two have not. It’s been three days into my trip. The first day the younger two did not go to school because husband slept in until after noon, saying he put the time in for alarms but forgot to toggle them on. Day two, despite being in different time zones, I had woken up around the time school was starting so I gave him a call to check in. My call woke him up, so they were late but at least they made it. Day three, I had woken up around the time that the kids should be getting up for school. I thought about calling again but I was groggy and just wanted to fall back to sleep so I did, and also I just kind of felt like - I shouldn’t have to call. He should be able to handle this. So I didn’t. Well I guess I should have because around noon their time I get a text saying that they’ve missed school again. He says he woke up with a headache so he got up to take some medicine and must have fallen back to sleep.

Should I just start making sure I’m awake so I can call every morning to be sure they’re up?

Typically when I’m at home I’m the one who gets them up in the mornings and gets them to school. Unless I’m sick or something then I’ll have to wake up and spend 30 minutes or so begging and fighting with my husband for him to get up and do it and usually even if does get up, they’re late because he refuses to get up at the time I initially wake him up.

The situation has really stressed me out. The school will get involved if the kids have so many absences.

I’m really disappointed in husband but not surprised given the pattern we have when I’m home.

TLDR: husband isn’t waking up in time to take kids to school while I’m out of town."

In the comments:
Yeah so OP decided to get herself a boyfriend despite her husband’s objection 4 years ago and calls it polyamory. She says her husband can’t afford to live without her so he’s just stuck. She then asked Reddit if she should choose her boyfriend over her husband and “abandon the kids” to do so. Can’t imagine why the kids aren’t living a stable life.

Man this one is just sad. I was ready to hate the dad, and his behavior does suck, but it honestly just sounds like depression. And no wonder he’s depressed! OP is a monster.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That dude needs help, badly, months ago.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

🪗 WIBTA if I put a pronoun sticker (that isn't accurate for me) on my accordion case? 🪗

:confused:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

I mean, there are other hills to die on, but this poo poo isn't funny. Being trans is not a joke.

And, while there were other factors at play too, isn't this part of the reason that lady got the axe from the Mandolorian Disney show (and lost her own spinoff) by mocking this?

AITA for not wanting to eat at my bfs house?

quote:

My (21f) bf “Jake” (26m) and I have been together nearly a year. We decided early on to keep our own places until we decide to start seriously considering marriage. In the meantime we just visit each other through the week and have sleepovers on weekends.

Jake has 2 cats. Fluffy and adorable and I love them. Obviously they shed a lot. I personally don’t have pets because of my apartment but when I did as a child it was always ingrained in me to not have them in certain spaces.

Jake lets them into the kitchen on counters and everything. If he’s cooking and one of them “tastes” it he just shoos them away and doesn’t remake the dish. I don’t wanna tell him how to run his house but I have made a few comments about him not remaking something or suggesting training them to not be in the kitchen. He always laughs it off and says it’s not a big deal but said he would try to keep them out if it makes me that uncomfortable.

Yesterday I was at his place since he made dinner. I arrived after everything was plated and it looked great. A few bites in I noticed a cat hair. I tried not to make a big deal and pushed some of my food around which uncovered more hair. I made an excuse of it being that hungry but assured him I enjoyed dinner.

He teased me and said “it’s not that bad. See the cats like it!” and let one of his cats lick his fork which he continued to eat off of. I was disgusted said I had cramps and went home.

He’s been texting me all day so I finally told him the real reason I left and that I don’t feel comfortable eating at his place anymore. I said he can either come to mine or we can go out. Then he said if I wouldn’t accept his cats then we should rethink our relationship. I don’t even know how we got here. AITA?

I have many cats. They go in the kitchen but they are not allowed on the counters. Nor are they allowed near the stove, or anywhere food is being prepped. Somehow despite having more than 2 cats, we don't get cat hair in our food.

I did house/pet sit for a friend years ago and she had about 12 cats. She did not have a litter box or 10, she had two large kiddy pools half filled with cat poo poo and litter. The cats got all over her kitchen (ripped open a loaf of bread I brought over, and threw out after finding bite marks in the bread), the range could not be used because it was stuffed with cat hair.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
$16k Unpaid child support 15yrs ago

quote:

Situation: My wife and I got married 2 weeks ago! Her father (age: 70) flew in from South Africa for the wedding, and when returning home was stopped at Sydney airport immigration with a DPO - Departure Prohibition Order. Turns out - he has $16k unpaid child support from 2008.

We are putting him up while he attempts to sort it out - but as you’d expect turns out someone who doesn’t pay their child support is useless.
Child Services Australia are saying he needs pay to it to be able to return home. He doesn’t have any money, has no assets, survives on A$170/mth pension, the flights were paid for by his mother, he is age 70 and too old to work, he can’t work in Australia due to being on a tourist visa which expire Jan 3rd. He is stuck, and the ex-wife won’t revoke the claim.

Does anyone have an idea of how we send him back to South Africa? Claim bankruptcy? Prove he can’t pay? Which govt department decides (we are in NSW) - thanks!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

toxomplaslolsis

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pirate Radar posted:

$16k Unpaid child support 15yrs ago

quote:

the flights were paid for by his mother, he is age 70

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fleeing the fall of apartheid and child support, what a life

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

quote:

his mother, he is age 70

I'm sorry, I'm with mediaphage here. What.

Was the child support for the OP's wife (since its her father)? Was it for a different kid? 16k in support is not something you can hide easily, if I understand???

And how on earth is a 90 year old woman paying for her (deadbeat father of a) son to fly all the way to loving Australia? A quick google suggests that's 1kUSD (edit: round trip, misread my open tab)? I might have misunderstood (again, quick, i dont need another rabbithole tonight), but.

When his visa ends, wouldn't Australia deport him for being (for lack of a better term) in their country illegally? Or are they technically better than the US on that? If they did, what would happen when he arrived in South Africa?

Why did his 90 year old mother spend a thousand dollars on a flight for him when he has that much unpaid child support?

Baron Zephyrus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 27, 2023

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I imagine if he's that much of a deadbeat he did not know or care that he had that much child support to pay

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kurieg posted:

I imagine if he's that much of a deadbeat he did not know or care that he had that much child support to pay

He may have just assumed it was money under the bridge now that the kid is let’s say at least in her thirties? And clearly has a good enough relationship with him to invite him to her wedding. But the money is presumably owed to the ex-wife, not to the adult kid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I don't think it was child support to this daughter. We're talking about child support to another child.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kurieg posted:

I don't think it was child support to this daughter. We're talking about child support to another child.

Oh yeah, very possible.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Kurieg posted:

It literally was.

OP posted:

He did. We won’t be paying the money that was meant to have gone to my wife as a child.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

I mean, there are other hills to die on, but this poo poo isn't funny. Being trans is not a joke.

And, while there were other factors at play too, isn't this part of the reason that lady got the axe from the Mandolorian Disney show (and lost her own spinoff) by mocking this?
You're misreading, I think - OP is trans, in that they're heavily implying they're assigned female by people but they don't actually use she/her pronouns. Might be transmasc, might be nonbinary, but from my experience and how they worded that, I would not assume they're a feminine looking cis man, even if it's possible. So the pronoun sticker isn't them being a shithead about trans people, it's them personifying their accordian and wondering if the joke is funny enough to people other than them and that people aren't going to blow up at them for implying they use she/her pronouns when they don't.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Issaries posted:

It literally was.

lmfao what the gently caress Australia? You can't force a daughter to house the man who owes her more money than he's capable of paying.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The issue is the ex-wife of the deadbeat dad is being a stubborn hardarse about it.

If she is the bride's mother, maybe it is because deadbeat was invited to the wedding and she wasn't/can't afford it. Or maybe it's for another kid that is unmentioned in the story, (which you'd assume the woman getting married in Australia would have known about).

If the ex-wife from the story is not the brides mother, then that just brings up a whole worlds of other hosed up family dynamics.

And I wouldn't have thought the Oz authorities would care too much about unpaid SA child support to stop him from leaving. Wouldn't that poo poo be brought up by the locals when he touched ground in Johannesburg?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I call bullshit on this one, the government's child support agency is loving useless at making deadbeat parents pay what they owe to the other parent, no way is this guy getting detained by airport security. What the Australian border force excels at is sending people back to where they came from the minute they look like they're going to be any kind of burden on government funded services.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kurieg posted:

lmfao what the gently caress Australia? You can't force a daughter to house the man who owes her more money than he's capable of paying.

I imagine the assumption is mostly "got enough money for international travel, got enough money to pay back your child support" (and also, incidentally, "probably doesn't have a good enough relationship with their kid they owe the money over for them to be the one putting them up")

System mostly seems to make sense for the intended use case, just not deadbeats who ALSO needed their presumably near-90 mother to pay for their plane ticket

BrigadierSensible posted:

The issue is the ex-wife of the deadbeat dad is being a stubborn hardarse about it.

If she is the bride's mother, maybe it is because deadbeat was invited to the wedding and she wasn't/can't afford it. Or maybe it's for another kid that is unmentioned in the story, (which you'd assume the woman getting married in Australia would have known about).

Or, perhaps, she's justifiably angry over the 16k of missed child support and being spiteful about it, which we would all be applauding if it wasn't screwing over the daughter that money was supposed to be going to in the first place.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

If the ex-wife from the story is not the brides mother, then that just brings up a whole worlds of other hosed up family dynamics.

And I wouldn't have thought the Oz authorities would care too much about unpaid SA child support to stop him from leaving. Wouldn't that poo poo be brought up by the locals when he touched ground in Johannesburg?

No my take from reading the post was that dad is from SA but lived in Australia in the past during which time he married a woman and had a child, then moved back to SA and didn’t pay support. So the child support debt is in Australia, owed to Australians, not in SA owed to SAns. Upon returning to Australia the computers said HOLD THIS GUY DOWN UNTIL HE COUGHS UP THE DOUGH.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

^^^^^ That makes sense. Deadbeat could have pissed off back to SA/divorced her mum when the bride was a little girl. The ex-wife kept contact details. Bride wants her dad at her wedding, so he mooches off his own mum to pay for the flight. Faces the consequences of unpaid child support when confronted by airport authorities.

OP and his wife are partly the victims here, (her more than him). They have no responsibility to put him up in their spare room. gently caress him.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 27, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
But Family!

International Family!

You know, I would say this has to be fake but we know deep down people are this loving dumb.

AITA for people-watching inside a cafeteria?

quote:

For the past three years, I've worked at a small consulting firm whose office is a few blocks away from a community college. I dress up in a suit for work, not because I have to, but because I feel like I take my job more seriously when I do. I also get treated much better than I would if I just wore a collared shirt and khakis.

Anyway, in the last month, I've started going to the dining hall on campus. Anyone is free to eat there, and I enjoy getting away from the office for an hour. Because I'm in my suit, I pass for a professor and don't look out of place. Lately, I've just been bringing my own lunch in there and eating at a high-top table. I enjoy people-watching, especially the young women, because my wife has let herself go in recent years. When we first started dating, she was so slender and attractive, but now she's just become a big butterball who eats candy all day. Coming to the campus reminds me of her younger days whenever I see the fit girls walk past.

Well, when I got home today, one of the college-age neighbors said that he saw me on campus today and asked me what brought me there. My wife was watering our flowers, and she turned to me, expecting an answer. I made up a lie and told him that I liked the pizza on campus. He seemed to buy it, but I could tell that my wife didn't. When she got inside, she demanded to know what I was doing. I told her the truth, and I think I deserve a ton of credit for that. I then told her that she had become too fat for my liking and that the girls on campus could be a source of inspiration for her. She didn't react well to this. In fact, she was furious. She said that her pregnancies had resulted in metabolic changes and that she was tired of fighting with her body. I told her that this was a convenient excuse and reminded her of several people we know who had kids and are still thin.

She stormed down the hall and slammed our bedroom door shut in a huff. I had never seen such childish antics. I keep trying to talk to her, and she keeps saying "go away" like a toddler who has been spoiled rotten. I need to go to sleep for work tomorrow, and she won't let me. Even worse, all of my suits are in the walk-in closet, which I can't access now. I just need her to stop being so hysterical right now and see my perspective. AITA?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

OP and his wife are partly the victims here, (her more than him). They have no responsibility to put him up in their spare room. gently caress him.

They're not throwing his 70 year old rear end to streets, because they're not literal monsters. Mom is though. Also the Regime of Australia.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

But Family!

International Family!

You know, I would say this has to be fake but we know deep down people are this loving dumb.

"You need to see my perspective! I have been going to the University food hall across the street from work everyday so I can ogle the young skinny girls because you are fat and ugly after bearing my children. Don't give me any excuses, Sandra from next door is still thin enough for me to want to gently caress. Wait, why are you upset. I need to get my suit so I can doi it all again tomorrow. Stop acting like a spoiled toddler."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
What's the relationship between "I enjoy people-watching" and "I am a leering creeper"? 98%? 99%? More?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Accordion tax

quote:

Since several people have asked:

A lustrous red and white 120-bass piano accordion with silver accents and art deco styled detailing

The lovely lady herself! She's had at least three owners before me, and you can tell from the way she plays that all of them cared for her. I don't know her exact provenance, but I have reason to suspect she's older than I am (an adult, for reference). I got her from a guy on Craigslist who was downsizing his accordion collection in order to get married. I hope that worked out for him.

Anyways, thank you to everyone who's weighed in on this. To those who've expressed concern that labeling her pronouns could be interpreted as transphobic, a la "attack helicopter" jokes: I do appreciate you pointing out that possibility, but given that I myself am trans and would be outing myself as such every time I used the "oh, she/her is for my accordion, not me!" line, I think it is pretty unlikely that anyone would think that I'm anthropomorphizing a beloved instrument just to make fun of trans people.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ah, yup, I read it right. Honestly I think the pronoun sticker is a funny joke in this case, even if it'd be a more dangerous/not worth it joke for a cis person to make.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

she is very handsome

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
r/relationships: I got her from a guy on Craigslist who was downsizing his accordion collection

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!

Cowslips Warren posted:

But Family!

International Family!

Fake. Or posted by the wife

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Why did his 90 year old mother spend a thousand dollars on a flight for him when he has that much unpaid child support?

To get him out of her house.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Baron Zephyrus posted:

I'm sorry, I'm with mediaphage here. What.

Was the child support for the OP's wife (since its her father)? Was it for a different kid? 16k in support is not something you can hide easily, if I understand???

And how on earth is a 90 year old woman paying for her (deadbeat father of a) son to fly all the way to loving Australia? A quick google suggests that's 1kUSD (edit: round trip, misread my open tab)? I might have misunderstood (again, quick, i dont need another rabbithole tonight), but.

When his visa ends, wouldn't Australia deport him for being (for lack of a better term) in their country illegally? Or are they technically better than the US on that? If they did, what would happen when he arrived in South Africa?

Good chance this dude is going to end up in immigration detention (prison) while the government departments argue about whether the DPO takes precedence over a visa overstay or not.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Good chance this dude is going to end up in immigration detention (prison) while the government departments argue about whether the DPO takes precedence over a visa overstay or not.

I'm going to assume that as long as the kids are paying for him the government won't do anything, the moment he's homeless he'll be arrested and deported for the Visa overstay. No one will want to put him up in detention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Kenshin posted:

lmao as if she's going to get her poo poo together in 6 months

No, but in six months it'll be too late to get an abortion, so obviously her sister will need to stay with her at that point.