Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I just saw a meme yesterday that I think was intended to be praising trucks but it was two of some model of maybe Ford truck, same color, same model, 30 years apart, and the new one is literally twice the size.

Big trucks are really stupid.

edit: chevy

That image is along the same lines as this one that's been kicking around the internet for the last while:

Both are not wrong but at the same time are not apples to apples. Single cab work truck spec trucks are still a thing, and while they have definitely also grown larger than they really need to be both of these images are comparing a single cab 2WD to a crew cab 4x4, and in the case of this Chevy the new one is also from the "HD" line.

Assuming the GMT400 is a long bed it's 213.1" long with a 131.5" wheelbase, 76.8" wide, and 70.4" tall.
The equivalent current model is 229.7" long with a 129.5" wheelbase, 81.1" wide, and 75.6" tall.
The new one is 16.6" longer, of which almost all is in the overhangs, 4.3" wider, and 5.2" taller.

If we go the other way I'll assume the new one is a 2500 and it looks like it's a long bed as well, so that puts it at 266" long on a 172" wheelbase, 81.9" wide, and 79.7" tall.
The equivalent GMT400 would be 250.1" long on a 168.5" wheelbase, 76.8" wide, and 73.8" tall.
The new one is 15.9" longer again with most of that being in the overhangs, 5.1" wider, and 6.1" taller.

So again, not wrong by any means, new trucks are 5-8% larger in every dimension (especially length), but the particular trucks in the photo are only the "same model" in the loosest sense and there's also a perspective factor coming in to play.

koshmar posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if the modern one has a much smaller bed.
You would be wrong.

The new one's standard and long bed variants are actually slightly longer than the old one. The 1500 crew cab in particular (which was not a configuration that existed in the older models) offers an extra-short bed for the market that just wants a five seat SUV they can throw dirty bikes/dogs in the back of, but all the other models are more or less the same level of usefulness for truck things as their older equivalents. The only real loss for people who actually need a truck is the extra height making it harder to load and/or climb in.

The problem is mostly not the trucks themselves, the problem is the people who have decided that not only does their ego require them to drive a truck even though their actual use does not, but that the rest of the world needs to adapt to fit their desire to drive a large vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The problem is also the trucks themselves

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If it's not an eight foot bed (that never has to be made) there's nothing I like about a pickup, man.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/XTzZBSo.mp4

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

If it's not an eight foot bed (that never has to be made) there's nothing I like about a pickup, man.

When he died they couldn’t prop him up by the jukebox because it was during covid

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

https://twitter.com/HELLMAXX1/status/1709498722315309358?s=20

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Our pickups are losing their asses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This truck ironically does not have dumps like a truck

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Long time graphic designer here and can confirm that customers don't proofread poo poo. WE'd send proofs out all the time typeset exactly how they sent it in (usually with spell check run on stuff as part of the process) and then have to eat poo poo and get bitched out because of a typo. Hell, sometimes it wasn't even a typo. It was just some person who CLEARLY wanted their cell number to say "C: 904-123-4567" and NOT "CELL: 904-123-4567", even though they typed it that way.

Business cards, for whatever reason, were always the absolute WORST.

You'd think it'd be simple, right? Your logo, name, job title, address, website and contact information in a 3.5 x 2 inch space but my loving god were they ever an absolute pain in the rear end and typically had more edits than a 48 page instruction manual.

We made no money on them and they were always a loss leader but any time we had a reprint it was always on us, even when we gave them templates and forms to write down or enter EXACTLY what they wanted on it.

Also, obligatory:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Unperson_47 posted:

Our pickups are losing their asses

Just the market meeting the demands of their trashed audience of white boomers with too much money

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Sentient Data posted:

Just the market meeting the demands of their trashed audience of white boomers with too much money

It's all circular.

This is like from two decades ago.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

https://imgur.com/fXmkXsa.mp4

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
On the small truck subject, I've preordered one of these: https://www.telotrucks.com/

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I just randomly remembered this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rBCst4hph0

I remember seeing it on TV and still can't believe it's real or if it was that a state owned channel aired it

He did, on the same show, have an Imam declare a fatwa on TV presenter Rove Mcmanus. I think because Saffran got dropped from Rove's talk show. That was real and kind of a problem, the Imam kindly removed it

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

5TonsOfFlax posted:

On the small truck subject, I've preordered one of these: https://www.telotrucks.com/

That looks like a hatchback missing half the roof.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Air Skwirl posted:

This is anecdotal from a friend who does like trains, but almost certainly isn't on the spectrum (or learned enough coping mechanisms very early on that no one could tell from childhood) that some train museums have autism awareness pamphlets for kids parents whose children are a bit too much into trains.

I think it's much less common in America just because we largely have a completely poo poo rail infrastructure compared to most of Europe and Asia. Does Chicago have "El Spotters?"

edit: I can't type well

Its a few pages late but more than once I've seen several people on the El with pins from the different stations and are just riding the El for basically fun. You can kind of tell they'll have a booklet and usually be wearing a vest with a whole bunch of railway pins on them.

So yeah people do ride the EL for fun and to experience it. There are also EL watchers as well that track the trains.

My favorite public transit story is that of the guy in New York who was really fuckng into the trains and successfully "stole" several trains and drove them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_McCollum#:~:text=McCollum%20is%20an%20American%20resident,his%20childhood%20and%20is%20autistic.

Hollismason has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Oct 27, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Peccadillo posted:

I just randomly remembered this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rBCst4hph0

I remember seeing it on TV and still can't believe it's real or if it was that a state owned channel aired it

He did, on the same show, have an Imam declare a fatwa on TV presenter Rove Mcmanus. I think because Saffran got dropped from Rove's talk show. That was real and kind of a problem, the Imam kindly removed it

You mean the Jewish guy who pretended to get married to Osama Bin Laden's relation to wind people up got Auntie to pay for this stuff rather than commercial TV?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My wife and I once rode some sort of tram from central Edinburgh to some suburb and back just because we wanted to try it out.

As far I know neither of us are autistic we just like public transport and it's fun to try out new things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

cult_hero posted:

That looks like a hatchback missing half the roof.

It's a $50k Toyota Tacoma

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Inceltown posted:

You mean the Jewish guy who pretended to get married to Osama Bin Laden's relation to wind people up got Auntie to pay for this stuff rather than commercial TV?

What a ... confusing joke

I haven't seen him in years and years, I wonder if he's persona non grata because of his monkeyshines. That show he did with an old curmudgeon priest was pretty popular but I think it ended because the Father got defrocked for saying gays are fine

And then died

The Peccadillo has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Oct 27, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Here comes the Kia boyz!

Seriously this poo poo's nuts, there was a Kia just in the middle of a street adjacent to ours for a full day after they ditched it there. They were doing doughnuts in the parking lot across from us for ten minutes before that.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

so much carnage, they are still finding dead bodies on the scene

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

No bones about it, they got the driver dead to rights.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Sure hope you didn't put money down cause yikes

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FreudianSlippers posted:

My wife and I once rode some sort of tram from central Edinburgh to some suburb and back just because we wanted to try it out.

As far I know neither of us are autistic we just like public transport and it's fun to try out new things.

It’s weird that no one blinks twice if you take your bike/motorcycle/car out for a drive for fun, but if you ride a train it’s considered neurodivergent. It’s the same thing, only you can spend even more time looking at passing scenery because you’re not steering!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Peccadillo posted:

I haven't seen him in years and years, I wonder if he's persona non grata because of his monkeyshines.

Inceltown posted:

That series was apparently nominated for a Logie Award for Best Light Entertainment but didn't make it into the finalists, lol. (Hey Hey It's Saturday: The Reunion was one of the finalists but lost to Shaun Micallef's Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation)

Safran left TV in 2009 and has been working as author ever since: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Safran#Non-fiction_writing_and_journalism

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That series was apparently nominated for a Logie Award for Best Light Entertainment but didn't make it into the finalists, lol. (Hey Hey It's Saturday: The Reunion was one of the finalists but lost to Shaun Micallef's Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation)

Safran left TV in 2009 and has been working as author ever since: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Safran#Non-fiction_writing_and_journalism

Goddamn. You really have to be hated by the industry to lose to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtjaZ8ZuNU

Harry Conick was right about "hey! hey! no more show" it got cancelled real quick after that. First (or second?) goddamn episode

The Peccadillo has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Oct 27, 2023

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

BiggerBoat posted:

Long time graphic designer here and can confirm that customers don't proofread poo poo. WE'd send proofs out all the time typeset exactly how they sent it in (usually with spell check run on stuff as part of the process) and then have to eat poo poo and get bitched out because of a typo. Hell, sometimes it wasn't even a typo. It was just some person who CLEARLY wanted their cell number to say "C: 904-123-4567" and NOT "CELL: 904-123-4567", even though they typed it that way.

Business cards, for whatever reason, were always the absolute WORST.

You'd think it'd be simple, right? Your logo, name, job title, address, website and contact information in a 3.5 x 2 inch space but my loving god were they ever an absolute pain in the rear end and typically had more edits than a 48 page instruction manual.

We made no money on them and they were always a loss leader but any time we had a reprint it was always on us, even when we gave them templates and forms to write down or enter EXACTLY what they wanted on it.

Also, obligatory:

I've been working in a commercial print shop for five years and, yes, customers and vendors both do not ever even look at proofs and are all total goobers. The way our business model works is that customers work through vendors, who are supposed to help the customer produce print-ready art if they do not have graphic designers in-house to do that. Vendors are also supposed to supervise the generation of each job from the customer to the manufacturer (i.e., us) to make sure the purchase order isn't hosed up or unintelligible. Dozens of times per week, I'll get jobs whose art is unprintable or incorrect, and whose purchase order is contradictory to the art. All the while, two or more people said "proof approved" prior to the poo poo hitting my shop. Some of it is really egregious too, like a postcard mailer for a college which misspells the word "college" in huge lettering. Lots of folks sitting on their asses checking loving emails for a living just transparently not doing anything useful at all. :waycool:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I work at a company that sends stuff to get printed and we have a coversheet requiring signatures from five different people (with a checklist on the back they have to initial each step of) before anyone's allowed to sign the actual proof. Because anything less than that doesn't work.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, obligatory:

Local Schools made national news here about a decade ago when they put up a billboard...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

1.no crabs
2.none!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Back when I more regularly did technical writing, my supervisor claimed that the best way to find dumb typos in your writing was to go through the paper word-by-word backwards so it would be harder for your mind to fill in the sentences. It absolutely sucked, but I found typos in papers multiple people had worked on for weeks or months, every single time.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tram infrastucture's coming to my area and i am genuinely pumped to hop on it. Fuckin' love trams, there were like three stops within a minutes walk for all different directions that came every ten minutes from daybreak 'till like two in the morning when I lived in Melbourne and it whipped rear end. Very easy to just straight up not pay at the time too, early tap on card days. Also once a very disfigured elderly Greek man gave me a flower vase full of wine for some reason

E: I googled it and it was probably an alabastron, which is reletaively normal thing to put wine in for old Greek people. Probably not to slurp on on tram rides and then gift to strangers. Never been to Greece can't say for sure

The Peccadillo has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Oct 27, 2023

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Inceltown posted:

The technology peaked with the Suzuki Mightyboy Subaru Brat

https://www.motortrend.com/news/subaru-brat-custom-camper-conversion-rv-info-pictures/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"I could have sworn I left all those pic-a-nic baskets right here, who on earth could have ~AGH"

https://i.imgur.com/9JMCuop.mp4

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"I could have sworn I left all those pic-a-nic baskets right here, who on earth could have ~AGH"

https://i.imgur.com/9JMCuop.mp4

That's not even really a schadenfreude thing. That's a "holy poo poo a bear lightly slapped a man and sent him flying :stare:" nature is terrifying sort of video.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i think that bear was wearing a wire

it was an informant!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cocaine bear knows that cooks are always slinging blow.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A found footage horror movie where the monster is just a bear wandering through the neigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Archonex posted:

That's not even really a schadenfreude thing. That's a "holy poo poo a bear lightly slapped a man and sent him flying :stare:" nature is terrifying sort of video.
Nah that dude has an insanely amazing story and the footage to prove it, he's set for life