Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The 19th president thing is actually kinda fascinating, neither candidate actually *Won* that election and the South basically threatened to start another Civil War if they didn't just toss Hayes into office.

For Sovcits, it provides enough pseudo-legalese to argue that the whole system is illegitimate and that's why I don't have to come to court over no drat DUI :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DarklyDreaming posted:

The 19th president thing is actually kinda fascinating, neither candidate actually *Won* that election and the South basically threatened to start another Civil War if they didn't just toss Hayes into office.

For Sovcits, it provides enough pseudo-legalese to argue that the whole system is illegitimate and that's why I don't have to come to court over no drat DUI :bahgawd:
Excuse me, I was traveling (as defined under English common law, clearly demonstrated by this quote from the 1892 edition of Black's Law Dictionary), not driving, so how can I be charged with "Driving" Under the Influence?!?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DarklyDreaming posted:

It was more that the South threatened to restart the Civil War if they didn't let Tilden (who was all of one electoral vote short of the 185 vote minimum) take the win. Hayes won them back into the fold by promising to end Reconstruction and halt federal enforcement of the Reconstruction Amendments across the South in the Second Corrupt Bargain. after which the House Dems who were filibustering and holding up the proceedings of the electoral commission on the issue stopped doing so, throwing the election to Hayes.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
In retrospect, you guys should've just called their bluff and stomped the Confederacy a second time if they actually followed through.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That's akin to the Pattonesque "we could've avoided the Cold War if we'd just kept driving through Germany and invaded the Soviet Union then and there" point of view in terms of net good it would've done

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

skeleton warrior posted:

That's akin to the Pattonesque "we could've avoided the Cold War if we'd just kept driving through Germany and invaded the Soviet Union then and there" point of view in terms of net good it would've done

While correct about the futility of it, in the 1870s instance the federal government could have continued to occupy the South and/or called their bluff and won (albeit at tremendous cost), whereas Patton was entirely up his own rear end and would have gotten completely steamrolled by the Red Army in short order had the US been so utterly foolish as to try to invade the USSR.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
BREAKING: Judge Engoron Puts Trump on Witness Stand, Fines Him $10,000 For ‘Violating’ Gag Order – Then Warns, “Don’t Do It Again Or It’ll be Worse”

quote:

To: Red Badger

Arthur Engeron is a dirty, lying, Marxist douchebag. He’s also got bad taste in ties.

9 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:24:33 PM by MeganC (There is nothing feminine about feminism. )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: ConservativeInPA
There is no living with these leftist freaks.

Really not much different than Israelis trying to live with “Palestinians”. Leftists are trying to kill us by different means.
13 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:25:37 PM by sjmjax
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Lockbox
I think it’s time to file an appeal up the court ladder till reaching the top.

IMHO this helps Trump by making it easier to move the case up hopefully all the way to SCOTUS where Trump has a chance at ending the never-ending lawfare against not just him but anyone who disagrees with the Dims.
18 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:28:20 PM by Tell It Right (1st Thessalonians 5:21 -- Put everything to the test, hold fast to that which is true.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

quote:

“I stated the last time that any future violations would be severely punished. Why should there not be severe sanctions for this blatant, dangerous disobeying of a court order?” Engoron said according to NBC News.

Because you are a lying sack of sh*t and *NOBODY* should take you seriously.

We need to do something about arrogant out of control Judges who think they have a right to play God.
20 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:29:42 PM by DiogenesLamp ("of parents owing allegiance to no other sovereignty.")

quote:

Reminds me of the old wild west, a Hanging Judge. I must wonder what they meant by that.

21 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:29:52 PM by Colo9250 ( Matt Gaetz, American hero! Long live Matt Gaetz.)

quote:

Fining a billionaire $10,000 is peanuts. They’re not going to silence Trump. Lock him up and CWII begins.

28 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:37:49 PM by DownInFlames (P)

quote:

Achtung, baby. Seigin’ Heil all the way.

30 posted on 10/25/2023, 7:41:44 PM by Quentin Quarantino

quote:

To: Engraved-on-His-hands

Can someone grab this Communist rear end of a Judge and parachute him to a Hamas area

52 posted on 10/25/2023, 8:07:51 PM by BigEdLB (Let’s go Brandon!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Engraved-on-His-hands

Just my own loose thinking, but I believe when they first started demanding bonds and issuing gag orders in these cases;

Trump should have said look I’m a political prisoner and our country is on the road to Third World communism, I won’t willingly allow you to deny me Free Speech or freedom of movement during a presidential election; So here I am if this is what you want put me in your gulag jail right now and if I have to die in there as a political prisoner, so be it.

At least at this point they have no desire to jail him, though it’s coming. I think he should confront them as a political prisoner and let them crap themselves figuring out what to do next.

58 posted on 10/25/2023, 8:22:44 PM by Williams (Stop Tolerating The Intolerant)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Trump sacrificing himself to the gulag. I'll pay to have the painting done

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You're an evil communist agent of destruction who brings nothing but misery to the world. And your tie sucks!!!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Very serious people

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
US House of Representatives approves resolution in support of Israel, 412 to 10
Most of this thread is really boring but there are some bangers.

Freep: Only forever war brings peace.

quote:

To: Roman_War_Criminal
You cannot have peace without war.

Only forever war brings peace.

6 posted on 10/26/2023, 10:26:00 AM by BusterDog

quote:

To: cgbg
That’s where their grift comes from.

We could have built the southern border wall 5 times over just with Ukraine funding.
I sure do love getting raped economically from Jan-Mar in taxation to foment foreign wars while addressing nothing at home.

The best thing I did in life was serve in the military. I wouldn’t even think of joining now.

11 posted on 10/26/2023, 10:32:51 AM by EEGator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Jim Noble
Wars defend freedom democracy.

Without war, freedom democracy dies.

The more wars you have, the more freedom democracy you have.

19 posted on 10/26/2023, 10:45:52 AM by BusterDog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"addressing things at home" is purely "locking up and beating more people" not, you know, homelessness or hunger or schools or or or or or

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Freep find out about Johnson’s blacks child and his, “maybe racism might exist” statements?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

quote:

Only forever war brings peace.

Wow.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

lmao I googled it wondering if it was from The Forever War or some other scifi book a chud would completely misunderstand.

But nope that's a BusterDog original.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

More freedom democracy please!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
"Freedom Democracy"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, remind me, which of those things are they angry because they think Biden and Democrats are saying them now, and which of those things were what they were screaming to anyone who opposed Bush and the Iraq War twenty years ago

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, remind me, which of those things are they angry because they think Biden and Democrats are saying them now, and which of those things were what they were screaming to anyone who opposed Bush and the Iraq War twenty years ago

more forever war leads to more freedom democracy, hope that helps

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Charlottesville’s Robert E. Lee statue has met its end, in a 2,250-degree furnace.

quote:

To: All

Multiculturalism has destroyed the country probably beyond any chance of repair.

9 posted on 10/26/2023, 11:45:14 PM by escapefromboston (Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none.)

quote:

To: Ennis85

A very sad day for America.

And I have three Great-Grandfathers who fought for the Union.

10 posted on 10/26/2023, 11:47:05 PM by lightman (I am a binary Trinitarian. Deal with it!)

quote:

Burn books too. Only the bad ones of course.

Burn paintings. Only the bad ones.

Make charcoal of the ashes. Draw something new. The art will be great, embodying the destruction of the bad.

I wonder what the Taliban did with the dust and rubble from the Buddha statues.

12 posted on 10/26/2023, 11:48:01 PM by heartwood (Someone has to play devil's advocate.)

quote:

He fought for the Confederates. So it makes sense that we got rid of it. The difference is that I would let the Sons of Confederate Veterans or some organization take the statue to private property.

Everyone else, Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington all were patriots. That's where I draw the line. Andrew Jackson was a flawed man. But he loved this country so that's why I support him.

Robert E. Lee was a traitor so I can't support him for that.
21 posted on 10/26/2023 4:51:19 PM PDT by MinorityRepublican
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies ]

quote:

To: MinorityRepublican
That is a commonly held view now, but it is objectively wrong.

There was no legal authority at the time that equated the secession of a state or states with treason. In fact, part of New England had attempted to secede some time before, without penalty of any kind.

While we think of the "United States" as a single entity, at the time it was simply a union of independent sovereign states. The first loyalty was to ones state. Some of that still survives in current law. Note that nobody, including Jeff Davis, was ever prosecuted for treason. Davis was held for awhile but never prosecuted, let alone convicted.

Consider that people who squawk about "treason!" at every opportunity are trampling all over a carefully negotiated peace intended to put the country back together after the war. In exchange for an oath abjuring secession, combatants were considered veterans in good standing and welcomed back into the political life of the nation. They got pensions too.

If the combatants could shake hands like gentlemen at Gettysburg, we should at least attempt to emulate them. The other way is wrong, and destructive of peace and unity.
36 posted on 10/26/2023 5:14:21 PM PDT by AnAmericanMother (Ecce Crucem Domini, fugite partes adversae. Vicit Leo de Tribu Iuda, Radix David, Alleluia!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 21 | View Replies ]

quote:

None of the Confederates were ever charged with treason! Don't apply today's standards & understanding to those times. Charging them was considered but dropped because it would open up the whole question as to whether secession was Constitutional therefore legal. Several states only signed onto the Constitution if they could leave if they didn't like it. (I don't think anyone wanted that brought up particularly since it included some northern states!) The New England states at the time of the War of 1812 had a convention (Hartford Convention) to consider secession. The war was damaging their economy. No one suffered for this potentially politically seditious activity. Davis who was held at Fort Jefferson extra-constitutionally without trial for two years demanded to be tried for treason. He was released and the whole treason issue dropped because of the danger of the trial making secession legal.

Treason to the US??? No, it was not that cut and dried! Americans back then had a very different understanding as to what constituted treason to the sovereign power! Which sovereign power for the states were sovereign too and acted so in far more ways than they do now. Remember John Brown was convicted of treason against Virginia not the US. Rhode Island even conducted a state treason trial in 1842 - See Dorr’s Rebellion. State treason still is on the state constitutional books in many states. It would be interesting to see that tested now as to whether its real or just words.

Note I am not a neo-Confederate and think that Lincoln did the only thing he could do if the territorial integrity of the US was to be maintained. If the CSA had succeeded, I think we would have ended up as a group of poor squabbling mini-states fighting over the North American continent with plenty of European troublemaking thrown in. It would be a northern hemisphere version of South America. — AND NO!!! I AM NOT GOING TO ARGE ABOUT THIS!
45 posted on 10/26/2023 5:26:19 PM PDT by Reily (!!)

quote:

Oh just shut up. You’re as bad as they are.

No, check that. You’re worse.

You pretend to be on our side. At least they’re honest about their hatred of our history.

L

61 posted on 10/26/2023 5:41:48 PM PDT by Lurker ( Peaceful coexistence with the Left is not possible. Stop pretending that it is. )

quote:

To: Lurker

MinorityRepuke is also a TDS sufferer.

81 posted on 10/26/2023 6:03:53 PM PDT by central_va (I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a drat...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 61 | View Replies ]

quote:

Ridiculous. No he wasn’t. He served his home state...Virginia. That was his country as indeed it was to most Americans whose only connection with the federal government was the US post office.

73 posted on 10/26/2023 5:55:07 PM PDT by FLT-bird

quote:

American Cultural Revolution. It’s been on for a while n

They do not even believe in the USA and they have taken over.

Election fraud coup, illegitimate regime that acts with stealth and subterfuge.

Ironically, Lee and his fan Woodrow Wilson are more like them but they were a long time ago.

23 posted on 10/26/2023, 11:53:42 PM by ifinnegan (Democrats kill babies and harvest their organs to sell)

quote:

To: ifinnegan

Horsesh!t. Go away.

74 posted on 10/26/2023 5:55:19 PM PDT by central_va (I won't be reconstructed and I do not give a drat...)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies ]

quote:

“Groups with ties to the confederacy”

Democrats.

28 posted on 10/26/2023, 11:57:10 PM by Celerity

quote:

We are dealing with the American Khymer Rouge whio are trying to send us all back to "the year sero." When the American Khymer Rouge solidifies power, they might kill up to 200 million Americans.

The real Kyhmer Rouge of Cambodia killed about 1.5 million Cambodians in a country with a small population.
52 posted on 10/27/2023, 12:36:09 AM by Stepan12 (Enrique Tarrio? “Remember the prisoners as if chained with them – those who are mistreated…” Hebrew)

quote:

To: heartwood

Someday—sooner than we think—Lee’s statue will be replaced by one of Donald J. Trump.

56 posted on 10/27/2023, 12:39:22 AM by Forward the Light Brigade ( Ride to the sound of the Guns!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 46 | View Replies]

quote:

To: libertylover

There is no free speech in Germany. When there is no free speech then artists don’t have the liberty to produce anything the state does not approve of or chooses to disregard.

60 posted on 10/27/2023, 12:41:15 AM by piasa (Attitude adjustments offered here free of charge)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 18 | View Replies]

quote:

I'm aware of that. They rebelled against the United States. And they lost. So no reason to honor their legacy. If you are descended from Confederate Veterans, I suggest that you collect them from public places now and move them to museums or private homes where they belong.

No they didn't. They declared their independence from it - which sovereign states were (and are) legally entitled to do. We have just as much reason to honor their legacy as we do the secessionists of 80 years earlier like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc. The first group had no legal right to secede. The second group - in many cases the children and grandchildren of the first - did have the legal right to secede.
79 posted on 10/27/2023, 1:00:31 AM by FLT-bird
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 47 | View Replies]

quote:

I am weeping.

85 posted on 10/27/2023, 1:20:55 AM by ottbmare (the OTTB mare)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

lmao

Even more of a wild ride than usual

I was particularly taken by the poster that wanted to replace Lee's statue with Trump's.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I'd love to tell these guys most of America's problems can be directly traced back to the Union not making it legal immediately post-war to hunt former Confederate soldiers, officials, and known sympathizers for sport.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I see we're in a "Confederates were vile slaveowning Democrats patriotic heroes" phase of Freep historiography.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
LOL "I have three great grandfathers who fought for the Union" either that guy is a lying piece of poo poo or he's old as gently caress. Not just regular Freeper old - that poo poo was 160 years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A 70-year-old’s grandfather would have fought in World War I, right? The last Civil War veterans died in the 50s, were over 100, and were under 15 while they were soldiers.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

NOTE: I am NOT a neo-confederate.

Please do not put in the papers that I am a neo-confederate.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

A 70-year-old’s grandfather would have fought in World War I, right? The last Civil War veterans died in the 50s, were over 100, and were under 15 while they were soldiers.

Yeah that guys probably lying regardless but the math isn’t out of the question.

It’s weird as hell, but president John “died in 1862” Tyler has a living grandson in 2023.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The last person married to a civil war veteran died only 2 years ago, which is something I wasn’t ready to learn :stonklol: it doesn’t feel right to call her a civil war widow, but idk a better term for it (and I’m not going looking for that, I want some brain-bleach instead).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/last-surviving-widow-civil-war-veteran-dies-101-180976702/

She was 17, and married a 93-year old. He died in 1939, after they married in 1936.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Icon Of Sin posted:

The last person married to a civil war veteran died only 2 years ago, which is something I wasn’t ready to learn :stonklol: it doesn’t feel right to call her a civil war widow, but idk a better term for it (and I’m not going looking for that, I want some brain-bleach instead).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/last-surviving-widow-civil-war-veteran-dies-101-180976702/

She was 17, and married a 93-year old. He died in 1939, after they married in 1936.

This is tied to unusually broad and generous pension payment systems, not sex. It's immediately described in the article. Did you not read it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Glad to learn I wasn't the only person to read that post and start trying the math

Like, ok, only one of my great grandparents were born before the drat Treaty of Versailles, so this freeper must be...

I don't think they are lying though. I fully believe there are some old as gently caresss

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

This is tied to unusually broad and generous pension payment systems, not sex. It's immediately described in the article. Did you not read it?

Good for her, but it’s still a 17 year old that married someone far older. This was apparently a thing for soldiers then* to do when they were old, and some of those couples still managed to have kids out of it. That’s how you get someone that’s pushing a century old now who could’ve had a father that fought in the civil war.

*soldiers now tend to get married immediately so they can move out of barracks hell, but that’s a different issue entirely

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I'm 60, and all my great grandparents were born in the 1860s. There were no significant age disparities in my ancestors' marriages, they just went on having children into their forties, as was common. So I think it would be easy for an 80-year-old to have great grandparents born in the 1830s.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"My ancestors would be very unhappy to see monuments to the man they fought destroyed"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Another thing that can stretch the generations a bit is remarriage; I have a great-great grandfather who fought for the Union, but we descend from the children of his second, younger (but not like that extreme example above) second wife after his first died a few years after the war ended.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Heh. Some FREEP / Meme thread crossover.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m 44 and my grandfather fought in WWI. He died when my dad was 16, 20 years before I was born.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Forgive my ignorance, I don't know what the third or first racist melters are. Maybe I'm too old?

vvv thanks! I am indeed old, but in this case it was just ignorance.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 27, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Forgive my ignorance, I don't know what the third or first racist melters are. Maybe I'm too old?

I think the first one is Senator Kelly melting near the end of the first X-Men movie?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Discendo Vox posted:

Third is the Robert E. Lee statue they just melted down this week that was part of the White Nationalist March in 2017.

First is from X-Men (2000 - 20th Century Fox Entertainment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

More freedom democracy please!

Freedemocracy, surely.