Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

Good point to drop in the time not so long ago that the British army helped to facilitate the displacement of thousands of catholics in NI, resulting in a refugee program being established in the Republic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Demetrius

There's a lot of history about NI that will never come out as the intelligence services make sure that people remain quiet. Case in point, someone I know tried to whistleblow with 11 other people about the work they were ordered to do in NI as part of an embedded undercover unit. They had all been spat out as broken men, watched at least half of their colleagues die in active operations, murdered countless civilians on their doorsteps, or took them away to be tortured and interrogated before being shot and dumped. They also killed fellow officers embedded on the unionist side without knowing who they really were, as a lot of the 'terrorist activity' in the mid 90's was government orchestrated pantomime.

In the space of a week, five of those whistleblowers died of heart attacks while out jogging and a sixth died of a heart attack in his bath. They all lived in different parts of the country after leaving the military, and their deaths weren't linked. Healthy men in their late 20's/early 30's die of heart attacks all the time. The surviving six were visited and reminded in no uncertain terms to keep quiet.

25 years later, not a single one has uttered a peep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Our mad lad is up to something
Ed's going to do a Clockwork Orange.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fuctifino posted:

It's been 44 hours since Keith last tweeted.The official @UKLabour account has only tweeted once in the past 48 hours. Many of the other top ministers are hiding too. The replies on their latest tweets are full of people rightfully complaining about Labour stance on genocide

:allears:

My "Pro-genocide" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s just giving your mates an impractical novelty present taken to the extremes allowed by having shitloads of money

This is the sort of thing rich people should be doing imo. If all rich people spent their time doing stuff like this I’d hate them quite a bit less

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Happy online safety bill day, shitposting is now illegal, we did it folks :toot:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/the-uks-controversial-online-safety-act-is-now-law

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also I quite liked Sheeran's collab with Bring me the Horizon.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
He’s a bit of a wetter but I don’t see any reason to dislike Sheeran, he seems like a perfectly nice bloke

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Happy online safety bill day, shitposting is now illegal, we did it folks :toot:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/the-uks-controversial-online-safety-act-is-now-law

Wonder when Whatsapp will cease to function then - a complete bummer for those of us who rely on it for contacting people in faraway lands eg middle of the world, or Africa. Our charity does a lot of work with Africa & India & relies heavily on whatsapp to talk to our partner projects.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wonder when Whatsapp will cease to function then - a complete bummer for those of us who rely on it for contacting people in faraway lands eg middle of the world, or Africa. Our charity does a lot of work with Africa & India & relies heavily on whatsapp to talk to our partner projects.

They carved out an exception to that part, companies won't be asked to scan messages where the technical capability does not exist.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

They carved out an exception to that part, companies won't be asked to scan messages where the technical capability does not exist.

More likely because the govt here runs on whatsapp and would be lost without it? :birdthunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

He’s a bit of a wetter but I don’t see any reason to dislike Sheeran, he seems like a perfectly nice bloke
Nah he's a scab

Guavanaut posted:

Ed Sheeran seems to have embarrassed himself even further by scabbing.

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1695502440148197822

Fully expect LadBaby to scab a postal strike in December.

Hopefully Signal etc will still be okay then, they said they'd have to leave if that was brought in.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I think as long as no one invents a way to somehow scan messages for illegal content without unencrypting them, then there should be no change. It's basically a useless bit off the law so that they can say they did something.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just skim reading the article it feels like it has been entirely defanged by bribes companies taking the ministers involved out for a big dinner / flying them out to the us for conferences, or possibly someone finally managing to explain to the ministers involved what encryption is and how everything from internet shopping to medical equipment would flat out stop working if you got rid of it.

Also it's being enforced by Ofcom, so lol, lmao etc.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Wachter posted:

In a bizarre stroke of luck, due to the government's incompetence, cryptosporidium is the kind of crypto it has been investing in, and this is a huge boost for the UK economy. Unfortunately it does mean that all business is now transacted by squirting hot jets of liquid shite into each other's---

cruelty squad: now uk government policy

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I think as long as no one invents a way to somehow scan messages for illegal content without unencrypting them, then there should be no change. It's basically a useless bit off the law so that they can say they did something.

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

hIwD1vwet/TdJfEBBACdcCPkNI3kRwYqtHUyfpvVAY5rt+Lb9P6EztNd4sYq9egV
CZjfqcCn36XZmYPbbfuckbl992kthezToriesCRszKNPtlk6Wa93AqXs3KCZp+4emXQh
7moE+XTfartGJZ2L3w/sSNs5WFkZRIbto0ivK1aRlX1XTqhPqo9HbgEfElBVUaYA
AACQEWaOS3/h6BVLHTfXaK20vmLcg9BUisB5RDvYGLZv9XFwHMMjctFJJQYnWIOp
+7LLkmNO5fE48rWh0EOAwjAeduGzJGpoob4yiE7OlxoESmmTJQ+qO1K2nDz8Stk3a6
WvAQJrpEUY7Og8QGlQQRPKl2F++j6XbIhZ27ObumJp+vgylUd874KDMCcTrzF3ph
/Qfi
=xTV9
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jakabite posted:

This is the sort of thing rich people should be doing imo. If all rich people spent their time doing stuff like this I’d hate them quite a bit less

i guess if all rich people did this all the time then trickle down economics might start working slightly

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just skim reading the article it feels like it has been entirely defanged by bribes companies taking the ministers involved out for a big dinner / flying them out to the us for conferences, or possibly someone finally managing to explain to the ministers involved what encryption is and how everything from internet shopping to medical equipment would flat out stop working if you got rid of it.
Or Braverman's lawyer explaining that it also means that in a couple of decades time the International Court of Justice could advise the UK Supreme Court that they should forward all her messages about what to do with asylum seekers and then she might end up on those lovely stickers next to Rudolf Hess.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

hIwD1vwet/TdJfEBBACdcCPkNI3kRwYqtHUyfpvVAY5rt+Lb9P6EztNd4sYq9egV
CZjfqcCn36XZmYPbbfuckbl992kthezToriesCRszKNPtlk6Wa93AqXs3KCZp+4emXQh
7moE+XTfartGJZ2L3w/sSNs5WFkZRIbto0ivK1aRlX1XTqhPqo9HbgEfElBVUaYA
AACQEWaOS3/h6BVLHTfXaK20vmLcg9BUisB5RDvYGLZv9XFwHMMjctFJJQYnWIOp
+7LLkmNO5fE48rWh0EOAwjAeduGzJGpoob4yiE7OlxoESmmTJQ+qO1K2nDz8Stk3a6
WvAQJrpEUY7Og8QGlQQRPKl2F++j6XbIhZ27ObumJp+vgylUd874KDMCcTrzF3ph
/Qfi
=xTV9
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

you take that back

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

big scary monsters posted:

gently caress the Tories

Tesseraction posted:

you take that back

Get im lads

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh no I've been compromised!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*pulling off the mask* you've got me now lllllliberals but I'll have the last lau-- wait hang on that was my skin gently caress ow ow gently caress

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah, Jaeluni is absolutely right that they were balls to the wall ready to demand nothing be encrypted until (as Guava said) someone pointed out that the covid comission (or a future inquiry into something else) could use this to demand their WhatsApp messages, and they suddenly became remarkably 'respectful of the right to privacy.'

I honestly think they were hoping for an "except for us" clause but then realised it would be impossible to word so that it included all of their friends in the press etc. So they just worded it in a vague enough way that it can be enforced on a "whenever we want it to be" basis.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1717635714291040448

still losing to dinosaur stories

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Basically they need to implement some sort of Great Firewall / North Korea style intranet. Which is... not likely.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Sajid got slaughtered on LBC this morning

Sajid's not exactly unfamiliar with breaking international law himself, so I can see why he'd be confused at this whole kerfuffle

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Angepain posted:

i guess if all rich people did this all the time then trickle down economics might start working slightly

An economy based on giant marble dicks is probably better than one based on a never-ending property bubble, let's do it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But the wanks are made of marble,
With a guard at every door

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If you criminalise encryption, only criminals will 7XgHOZaPsR7gfK1wBC5hvQhmX3oJ9u/V3BwToNjW+vPf9u5cS4bkKlXDQk9KkMZD

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My copy of Poetry for the Many just arrived. No sign of Russell Brand's involvement.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Didn't glinner just post a pic of himself with like a wall full of copies he's hoping to sign? It would be hilarious if over half the 3k were purchased by him.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

sebzilla posted:

An economy based on giant marble dicks is probably better than one based on a never-ending property bubble, let's do it

marble dick and Yapese stone money goatse standard

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Didn't glinner just post a pic of himself with like a wall full of copies he's hoping to sign? It would be hilarious if over half the 3k were purchased by him.

It would, but you know they were bought by TERFs trying to stick it to the woke mob.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao Glinner stays losing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Angepain posted:

in ye olde days, some thought the earth was a living god which must be ritually fed through human sacrifice on the battlefield, so the blood and bonemeal could 'trickle down' through the earth and into the living core. thus began the tenets of conservatism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Medieval trickle down economics.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
That tower has a bell-end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Monica Bellucci posted:

That tower has a bell-end.

It's a belltower.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thus the gong farmer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Why doesn't that poo poo tower have a door! Do you have to clamber up the shitpipe before you can take a dump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like the cask of amontillado but you can poo poo down a hole.