Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

sharknado slashfic posted:

Sometimes I remember that this man spoke to me and I get one of those crack ping things

I talked to him on the phone. It was unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

Just think you dodged a bullet that you didn’t have to talk to him about the Angel Gabby.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I shook his hand and got a selfie. I introduced myself as 'a big fan'. He was unfazed. Of course someone would be a big fan of nathen mazri.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sometimes I remember that this man spoke to me and I get one of those crack ping things

blocked

Frank Frank posted:

blocked

Killingyouguy! posted:

I shook his hand and got a selfie. I introduced myself as 'a big fan'. He was unfazed. Of course someone would be a big fan of nathen mazri.

you’re all blocked. none of you are free from sin

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
In my defense, I did not want to talk to him on the phone or have any reason to believe he’d call me directly regarding my frozen lasagna refund.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The Lasagna Trap

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol all of you wanted to talk to nathen or you wouldn't have

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

lol all of you wanted to talk to nathen or you wouldn't have

It's called "entergagement". Learn the lore.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

In my defense, I did not want to talk to him on the phone or have any reason to believe he’d call me directly regarding my frozen lasagna refund.

I forgot about that lol. What happened again? It was only available in Canada or something?

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

All the value is in the autograph tbh

Yeah, and the fact that he put it on the back so you don't have to see it. Anywhere else would de-value it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Chance posted:

I forgot about that lol. What happened again? It was only available in Canada or something?

I ordered an overpriced mail order lasagna so I could review it for the thread. Apparently, they could not ship to the US so they needed to refund me. I got an email from someone who worked for Nathen who said they’d let me know when my refund processed. A day or so later, Nathen called my cell phone to tell me the refund processed and thanked me for my interest in his lasagna. This was 2-3 years ago iirc.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Every time I think of how long ago this started it kind of freaks me out tbh.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it was so long ago that nathen was actually the world's youngest garfield licensee at the time

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Mozi posted:

it was so long ago that nathen was actually the world's youngest garfield licensee at the time

The weirdest thing about his pride in being the youngest Garfield licensee is that it never occurs to him that young people don’t really give a poo poo about Garfield. It’d be like someone who made ragtime music now boasting about being the number one ragtime performer in 2023: of course you are, you’re operating in a functionally extinct discourse. His nostalgic bent lately fits neatly into his narcissism: he’s still seething about GarfieldEats’ failure and can’t work through his own part in its failure, so his isolation and hatred keep getting projected into bigger, weirder things.

Tl;dr - garfeidl

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Killingyouguy! posted:

Even doobie would have caught on that you were bullshitting

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

mediaphage posted:

blocked

blocked

you’re all blocked. none of you are free from sin

Fair tbh

He called me out on his discord I wasn't even interacting with anyone!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

The predator arms meme except it's the state of Maryland and Nathen Mazri

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Hasturtium posted:

It’d be like someone who made ragtime music now boasting about being the number one ragtime performer in 2023

I'd be interested in seeing this.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's a big opportunity here to be the world's youngest Garfield-themed ragtime performer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Busters posted:

I'd be interested in seeing this.

https://youtu.be/L0s6UDqHM5Q?si=izCHd17LIOGpE9m5

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hasturtium posted:

The weirdest thing about his pride in being the youngest Garfield licensee is that it never occurs to him that young people don’t really give a poo poo about Garfield. It’d be like someone who made ragtime music now boasting about being the number one ragtime performer in 2023: of course you are, you’re operating in a functionally extinct discourse. His nostalgic bent lately fits neatly into his narcissism: he’s still seething about GarfieldEats’ failure and can’t work through his own part in its failure, so his isolation and hatred keep getting projected into bigger, weirder things.

Tl;dr - garfeidl

You might be surprised just how popular Garfield remains to this day, even amongst Gen Z and younger. It's a remarkably resilient intellectual property

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Captain Yossarian posted:

You might be surprised just how popular Garfield remains to this day, even amongst Gen Z and younger. It's a remarkably resilient intellectual property

You’re right. I thought about the whole /r/imsorryjon phenomenon after posting, and the whole Garfield without Garfield thing, but I still wouldn’t call Garfield a thriving property based on its own inherent artistic worth.

I don’t take back any of the stuff about ragtime though, and now I want some goons to make a Garfield ragtime song for the next Something Awful Christmas album.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It certainly occupies cultural space, Garfield without Garfield is a great example, but like the only people I think of as buying Garfield stuff are boomers and older who inexplicably wear loony toons, Garfield, etc stuff

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Didn't the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie some how become a success? Like I would of thought that was an even deader IP as like it's started as pretty much just a joke gimmick about don't pitched up voices sound funny, and that was back in 1958.

It can be really hard to tell what's still gonna resonate and what's not. And just what young people these days know about. I remember just through like Animaniacs, and Simpsons references, as well as old Looney tune re-runs being sort of aware stuff like The Godfather, Casablanca, Citizen kane, and other classic stuff existed, well before I was at an age I'd actually watch them. With how weirdly referential modern media is it can be hard to tell what kids do and don't know about. I remember a few weeks ago my six year old niece was telling me about this spooky scary monster called slender man all the school kids were talking about...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Wasn't there a recent Zoomer fad of watching the original Columbo show or something?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

people are definitely watching columbo again but i don't know if they even stopped

there's nothing else that scratches that same itch
poker face was kind of close but it ended up going a different direction

a lot of the 'free' tv options that are bundled with things like plex have a 24/7 columbo channel

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Figuring out why a thing is suddenly all over the place can be almost impossible because the impulse that gave rise to the current wave of relevance can be really obscure and ephemeral (remember when Seinfeld thought people wanted Bee Movie spinoffs because of the memes? Lol). However in the case of Garfield, it never went away in the general population as an ubiquitous marketing vehicle, but it occasionally makes an additional splash for ironic and post ironic reasons. I don't think any Zoomers actually care about Garfield, the official IP, but they may sometimes appreciate a Garfield meme because Garfield has become a symbol of old and uncool things that were always poo poo, like Alf, to a lesser extent, and has been thoroughly assimilated into the world of internet surrealism and shitposter culture.

So it's only natural that Nathen is the exact opposite and wants to be a crusader for Garfield purism and protecting the brand integrity and decorum of GarfieldTM.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wasn't there a recent Zoomer fad of watching the original Columbo show or something?

There’s a spiritual reboot starring Natasha Lyonne called Poker Face that wasn’t terrible. Same formula though

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

(remember when Seinfeld thought people wanted Bee Movie spinoffs because of the memes? Lol).

Remember when Sony re-released Morbius because of the memes? Laffo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

root beer posted:

Remember when Sony re-released Morbius because of the memes? Laffo

IT'S MORBIN' TIME

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Hell yeah ponderin’ my morb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Morbinccino Time

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I miss the Morb

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MorbEats (blood) (I think. I've never watched it or read the comic).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Escape From Noise posted:

MorbEats (blood) (I think. I've never watched it or read the comic).

From what I understand he only MorbEats synthetic blood, and the plot of the film revolved around him being an rear end in a top hat to one of his friends who was dying of a diseases he could easily cure.

Yay morbo!!!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Captain Yossarian posted:

GenZ and etc like drawing Garfield as a goth trans girl and I just think that's harder to market.

I think that owns and is cool btw

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

dr_rat posted:

With how weirdly referential modern media is it can be hard to tell what kids do and don't know about. I remember a few weeks ago my six year old niece was telling me about this spooky scary monster called slender man all the school kids were talking about...

Please make sure she doesn't go to the woods with her friends. We don't want a repeat of that other very nasty business.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
A zoomer was buying an ancient Garfield plush or something of the like at an antique place I was at.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Pictured, a land monster:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
This has been entergaging, but can someone just dart him with a dose of haldol already