Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Klyith posted:

It's computationally harder to splice ads into the HSL (or DASH) stream than it is to just serve the ads and then the video like youtube does now. Not very hard, but at youtube scale even a small amount of computation matters.

You're right on the first part, but whether you're right on the second is harder to figure out. Google-scale compute is weird and I don't think I'd be as certain about the inability as you are, especially with a sufficiently clever edge implementation.

Klyith posted:

Random ad segments anywhere in the video is a loving unwatchable experience.

Great upsell for Premium, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blurb3947 posted:

Isn't NoScript redundant because uBlock does a similar thing?

They have different levels of fine control that can be useful for different things.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I thought I could live with watching YouTube with ads but it’s such a painful experience I gave in and bought premium. Can’t be bothered loving around with different adblockers every time YouTube cracks down on one or the other.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Seams posted:

I thought I could live with watching YouTube with ads but it’s such a painful experience I gave in and bought premium. Can’t be bothered loving around with different adblockers every time YouTube cracks down on one or the other.

Yeah same here, I watch a lot of youtube on my Chromecast so not really feasible. At least I got the family plan and split it with a few friends and my parents.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
.... AAAAANNNNNDDDD now Youtube is back to showing me "Disable Adblocker, You Hurt Our Feelings".

uBlock still squashing it though after an update.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

.... AAAAANNNNNDDDD now Youtube is back to showing me "Disable Adblocker, You Hurt Our Feelings".

uBlock still squashing it though after an update.

Just this evening Firefox with UBlock got the pop-up telling me to disable or buy. However Opera plays youtube just fine. Maybe one updated and the other didn't?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://drhyperion451.github.io/does-uBO-bypass-yt/

Youtube update twice a day or so. Clear your fillets and try again and it should normally work. The code has changed even since I looked last night.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I was briefly using this for a while, but I turned it off and turned back on uBlock.

https://github.com/TheRealJoelmatic/RemoveAdblockThing

Is this thing safe though? Did I gently caress myself over like an idiot?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seams posted:

I know to each their own, but buying premium gives them the best of both worlds.You're paying them a steady stream of cash PLUS they are still leveraging your data.

gently caress that. As long as uBlock works, I'll happily take the 5 seconds and update it before I fire up youtube.

e: And if it eventually doesn't work and need a fix of edu-tainment stuff, I'll probably subscribe to Nebula or something. At least that way the creator is directly sponsored and it's not going to finance the social virus that is Google/Alphabet with the creators catering to the algorithm.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 27, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It doesn't work because I watch YouTube in a lot more places than just my computer

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

It doesn't work because I watch YouTube in a lot more places than just my computer

There are plenty of alternate apps for just about every platform that can still skip ads and utilize sponsor block. Might lose out on casting ability of logging into your account but those were worth the sacrifice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blurb3947 posted:

There are plenty of alternate apps for just about every platform that can still skip ads and utilize sponsor block. Might lose out on casting ability of logging into your account but those were worth the sacrifice.

Yeah I've tried them and they've been really rough. I think the last popular one I sideloaded onto my streaming device introduced a ton of hitching and stuttering into 4k videos.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Blurb3947 posted:

I present you with an Apple TV, and or other Smart TV, let me know when you figure out how that works for us ;)

Some people really just don't consume YouTube on their computers.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I have YouTube premium so don't have this problem, but would setting the DNS on your phone to

Dns.adguard.com

Work?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Rawrbomb posted:

I present you with an Apple TV, and or other Smart TV, let me know when you figure out how that works for us ;)

Some people really just don't consume YouTube on their computers.

https://github.com/yattee/yattee

I tossed my old Chromecast and got a $20 Onn branded Walmart android box which was pretty painless to set up and even works great for casting from other devices.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wedge Regret

Harminoff posted:

I have YouTube premium so don't have this problem, but would setting the DNS on your phone to

Dns.adguard.com

Work?

Youtube serves ads and videos from the same IP addresses so DNS blocking doesn't work iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

apatheticman posted:

Youtube serves ads and videos from the same IP addresses so DNS blocking doesn't work iirc.

And then there is dns-over-https which can sidestep that stuff entirely, iirc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kibner posted:

And then there is dns-over-https which can sidestep that stuff entirely, iirc.

It doesn't sidestep it -- if your DNS queries are going to a DNS-over-https server that blocks ad domains, that works just fine. DOH doesn't take away control over where your DNS queries go.

The problems are:
1. standard PiHole solution doesn't do DOH out of the box, and needs some mildly technical setup to do so.

2. Firefox since 2020 has been using an internal DNS lookup rather than the OS provided one, using DOH to cloudflare. You need to change a setting* in the browser, or block a canary domain on your main system DNS, for firefox to use the DNS settings of the OS.

*Privacy & Security -> HTTPS-Only Mode -> Off

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Klyith posted:

It doesn't sidestep it -- if your DNS queries are going to a DNS-over-https server that blocks ad domains, that works just fine. DOH doesn't take away control over where your DNS queries go.

If the app hardcodes its own DOH it sure does.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Youtube premium is a good service but it feels expensive. Youtube music is included so it makes it easier to justify. There's nothing wrong with paying youtube for a valuable product and the streamers get a good chunk of change from premium viewers. Youtube has the best revenue share compared to any other UGC video site.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've been using YouTube Premium for a while because I watch it a lot on iPad and I gave up trying to block ads there a long time ago. I get far more value out of it than any other streaming service like Netflix so whatever, I'll cancel those before I cancel YouTube. I wish it had private sessions like Spotify does though for watching videos without affecting my recommendations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
pulling this at a time where it seems all subscriptions are going up in price also makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow, but maybe netflix's latest moves emboldened them

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Every streaming service is trying to extract more value out of customers since it seems the era of 'losing money in exchange for user aquisition' is over and it's a shock to our systems.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
It's really awful because although YouTube is worth enough to me that I pay for it, making adblocking difficult for folks who can't/won't pay is going to increase the spread of malware.

Like if I wasn't paying, it's not a big deal for me to follow the latest technical updates or explore third-party DNS or run a Pi-hole or self-hosted VPN options for our mobile phones.. But any normal user who has an adblocking tool because the computer toucher in their family convinced them to install it is just gonna loving remove it completely. No regular person is going to have time for allowlisting a site, which means they are going to see ads everywhere, which means malware.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EngineerJoe posted:

Youtube premium is a good service but it feels expensive. Youtube music is included so it makes it easier to justify. There's nothing wrong with paying youtube for a valuable product and the streamers get a good chunk of change from premium viewers. Youtube has the best revenue share compared to any other UGC video site.

Best doesn't mean enough. Google takes too much and does not give enough back. It's true for everything and it will get even worse as time goes on because that's how this works.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Snackmar posted:

No regular person is going to have time for allowlisting a site, which means they are going to see ads everywhere, which means malware.

I can easily believe it. A site I'm involved with gets a good spread of users of all ages and tech ability and we've to watch the poo poo Google runs like a hawk because we'll inevitably get someone claiming our site signed them up to some video streaming they didn't want. We'll track it back to some obnoxiously large button saying "Register Here!" that users assume is part of our site even as it sits in a frame marked "Advertisment" and whisks them away to an obviously completely different website.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Volte posted:

I wish it had private sessions like Spotify does though for watching videos without affecting my recommendations.

You can delete specific videos from your youtube watch history, it'll be like you never watched them.

It's what I do every time the star citizen thread sends me to a true believer video.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ability to delete watch history is maybe YouTube’s best feature and let’s you keep the Al Gore Rhythm at bay

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

Isn't NoScript redundant because uBlock does a similar thing?
uBlock Origin can be configured to do what NoScript does, yes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just let the ads start then hit skip ad :shrug:

Whatever money youtube makes off the ads is worth far more than the hours of free entertainment the videos they host have given me. It's like a more-convenient public access channel.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randalor posted:

I just let the ads start then hit skip ad :shrug:

Whatever money youtube makes off the ads is worth far more than the hours of free entertainment the videos they host have given me. It's like a more-convenient public access channel.
You're the product, because they make money off of selling ads using data about you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You're the product, because they make money off of selling ads using data about you.

Which data?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randalor posted:

Which data?
As much as they can possibly harvest.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As much as they can possibly harvest.

Right, but what kind of data? And how would an ad blocker or subscribing to them change that data?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Randalor posted:

Right, but what kind of data? And how would an ad blocker or subscribing to them change that data?
Do a checkout and find out.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do a checkout and find out.

Riiiiight, so I'm going to assume you don't actually know then and are just fearmongering.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Randalor posted:

Subscribing wouldn't do much except keep ads from coming up, which likely just means companies don't make money off of it because the service isn't being subsidized for that user.

Google will collect almost anything they can and make inferences based off of a lot of poo poo like your location, interests, services activity, IP address, etc.

An ad blocker will usually stop things like tracking cookies, domains from connecting, web scripts from running, among other things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They're still tracking what you click on and how much you watch. I mean there's nothing you can block that keeps the server that's serving the videos from recording that data

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Volte posted:

I've been using YouTube Premium for a while because I watch it a lot on iPad and I gave up trying to block ads there a long time ago. I get far more value out of it than any other streaming service like Netflix so whatever, I'll cancel those before I cancel YouTube. I wish it had private sessions like Spotify does though for watching videos without affecting my recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Blurb3947 posted:

Subscribing wouldn't do much except keep ads from coming up, which likely just means companies don't make money off of it because the service isn't being subsidized for that user.

Google will collect almost anything they can and make inferences based off of a lot of poo poo like your location, interests, services activity, IP address, etc.

An ad blocker will usually stop things like tracking cookies, domains from connecting, web scripts from running, among other things.

So basically, the poo poo that Google already knows because I already told them a lot of that stuff when I signed up (or they just check where my IP is from)?