Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Cappies have also really been taking advantage of everywhere in the Inner Sphere being 5 minutes from a Sea Fox Mech Emporium and are notable users of both the Cauldron Born and the Blood Asp by 3150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
More than anywhere else in the setting, by the 3150s the Capellan Confederation has adopted an "if we have it, we'll use it" philosophy when it comes to 'Mechs. Everyone in the Inner Sphere has always done this to some extent, but nobody goes as hard in on it as the CCAF.

Where another successor state might say "Oh, Clints and Jenners have been out of production for centuries. We'll keep ours in special reserve units so we can use them to surprise our opponents!" the CCAF has already posted those Clints and Jenners to front line units. Found a Star League cache with pristine 'Mechs? The other successor states might study them in case one has some unique wargear or hold them in reserve to threaten their enemies with, the CCAF has already posted those 'Mechs to a front line unit. Got your hands on some Clantech? The other successor states might save it for a notable commander, but to the CCAF someone on the front line needs that 'Mech so it's already been assigned to a line regiment (and if that line regiment's commander likes it and wants to keep it, someone on the front lines is getting his old 'Mech so it all works out anyway).

If they have a handful of it and can get spare parts? Great, they'll keep on fixing up the handful they have after every fight. If they only have one and can't repair it anymore? gently caress it, front lines. If they lose it it's one less unicorn to maintain.

The CCAF understands that the metal is not special, 'Mechs are resources to be allocated and used.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 26, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The CCAF is very much the opposite aesthetic to the Knights in Robots theme, despite the potential for oh so much of the "Fabled Horsemen of Ancient China" that FASA could have run with in Xin Sheng.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Pretty sure this was the one where the Capellans sent their Death Commandos to invade Clan occupied space, kidnapped a bunch of Clan Scientists, and brought them back to the CC, helping them kickstart a technological renaissance way ahead of all the other Successor States.

The Death Commandos were under a "conquer or die" order too, since they had failed to protect Maximillian Liao from an assassination by the Highlanders (Who were taking revenge after Max killed a bunch of their dependents, Max's daughter helped the Highlanders in order to secure her own rise to power).

It was a cool scenario.

Also the Death Commandos had a last minute team up with the Clanners to fight some Davions.

And backstabbed the clanners on the way out. Hell yeah!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
X-posting some Comstar

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
white mechs always look good

have some pirate tanks:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Your stuff is always so amazingly stylized, looks like illustrations come to life.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sci-fi T-34s? They look really cool anyways.

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011
In honor of Orktober I present to you: the Orkjack and its assembly guide

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

This post WAAAAAAGHs!!!!!!!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Hell yeah to all those posts of cool painted mechs and ork mechs.

gently caress I love the new sculpt of the flashman so much.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ivan Prisypkin posted:

hmm i still have some 40k ork bits lying around i might need to make my pirates a bit more mad max

Ivan Prisypkin
Sep 11, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

hmm i still have some 40k ork bits lying around i might need to make my pirates a bit more mad max

For anyone else, please enjoy this Bitz Kit I created for the occasion:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6285789

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Starting my first BT campaign today. I suggested it to some people I met and it, ah, kind of spiraled out of control a little bit. Basically full Campaign Ops rules with everything that comes with it, including contracts, hiring staff, equipment maintenance etc., plus A Time of War-lite main characters/pilots for everyone involved. We’ve got a merc company with seven players who all got to freely choose 8 million C-Bills worth of stuff to start with. The year is 3025.

It’s… a bit more than I imagined when I suggested it lol. Thankfully someone else wanted to do the bookkeeping part of it. But I’m excited to get the games started today!

I’m bringing a VND-1R, a CMD-1D, a Maxim (SRM2) and a Packrat with medium lasers I’ve christened the Attack Rat. I’m weirdly excited about the stupid Attack Rat, I love it. Don’t have the miniature I wanted for it yet (going to try to convert something from a Strato Minis APC since the old metal Packrat is loving hideous) so I’m just using a Death Ray Designs APC today.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 28, 2023

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Neat. Makes me wish the gaming crowd around here was more active. Can barely get a single game in once a month.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Attack Rat was a powerful success. 501 BV for two medium lasers and an SRM6 that move 7/11. It took down an LRM Carrier and a Manticore tank and did some serious damage to a Centurion.

I love my Attack Rat

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
SRMs have such a nice cluster hit count vs. tonnage ratio.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
catapult for my pirates

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I love how well your browns match the 'aging' colors of existing ceramic-metal composites.

That makes me want to paint another Catapult.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Z the IVth posted:

X-posting some Comstar

Are those rebased Purifier BA from Clix? Very cool.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Clixx BA were for some reason incredibly nice little figures and were often well painted enough that I just liked them as they are. I have no idea how those fiddly little dudes were so great compared to the much larger figures.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I have a brief rules question for classic with regards to smoke launchers and firing. I understand the idea is you use it to provide cover for units, but I also understand CBT mostly does 'all at once' shooting (like, even if a mech is destroyed that turn, it still shoots back).

I want to better understand how it works in practice, which leads me to these questions (specifically regarding smoke ammo for various launchers):

Can you/a vehicle fire at the hex you're currently in, or does it have to be one distant? Ie, range 0.

When does the smoke landing take effect? If you have initiative and you fire first, does the smoke go down right away, or does it only take effect at the end phase (like, say, heat effects do).
Basically, is it a 'this turn' or 'plan for next turn' thing?

Lastly, what modifiers apply to just shoot a hex with, say, an srm? I assume secondary target if you're splitting fire.

Bonus question: Is this any different in alpha strike?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 30, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Are those rebased Purifier BA from Clix? Very cool.

Those are the OG IWM Purifiers. I can't order from IWM since their shipping and prices are absurd and these are the nicest of all the battle armors Ral Partha inherited in Europe.

If I need more battle armor I would probably just wait for the new Epic to come out and repurpose some space marines. No one cares about the detail on infantry at this scale anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheParadigm posted:

I have a brief rules question for classic with regards to smoke launchers and firing. I understand the idea is you use it to provide cover for units, but I also understand CBT mostly does 'all at once' shooting (like, even if a mech is destroyed that turn, it still shoots back).

I want to better understand how it works in practice, which leads me to these questions (specifically regarding smoke ammo for various launchers):

Can you/a vehicle fire at the hex you're currently in, or does it have to be one distant? Ie, range 0.

When does the smoke landing take effect? If you have initiative and you fire first, does the smoke go down right away, or does it only take effect at the end phase (like, say, heat effects do).
Basically, is it a 'this turn' or 'plan for next turn' thing?

Lastly, what modifiers apply to just shoot a hex with, say, an srm? I assume secondary target if you're splitting fire.

Bonus question: Is this any different in alpha strike?

RAW, you can't fire at another unit in the same hex as you (with exceptions for infantry). But the hex isn't a UNIT so it should be fine.

Smoke missiles fire during the weapons phase, so it's resolved simultaneously with all the other weapons fire.

Firing at a hex is really easy, because it can't move AND you get the immobile target bonus.

No idea about AS.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Z the IVth posted:

Those are the OG IWM Purifiers. I can't order from IWM since their shipping and prices are absurd and these are the nicest of all the battle armors Ral Partha inherited in Europe.

If I need more battle armor I would probably just wait for the new Epic to come out and repurpose some space marines. No one cares about the detail on infantry at this scale anyway.

Yeeaahh I was gonna say, I opened up my old box of clickytech and took a look at the MWDA battle armor after seeing that photo, and even the Purifiers didn't look *that* great.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 31, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Elementals were the nicest you could get until the current plastics.

Z the IVth posted:

Take a look at Fantasywelt in Germany. Very affordable as long as UK customs don't ding you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

RAW, you can't fire at another unit in the same hex as you (with exceptions for infantry). But the hex isn't a UNIT so it should be fine.

That's correct, IIRC. RAW specifies 'unit' not 'target' so shooting a hex point blank should be fine.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
After some delay, I am considering buying into the CGL Battletech. With multiple entry points (Essentials, Beginner Box, A Game of Armored Combat, etc), I'm trying to take a sensible first step in to have a fairly complete experience. But it seems like all I really need are:

Box of my choice (I might aim low here, depending on what the person I'd play with is willing to do)
Dice to mark facing / movement (typically red, white, black and yellow?)

It doesn't seem like you need anything else, but is there anything else you all think is a big QOL improvement? I've already got things like other dice and paint.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It really comes down to which of the two styles of play you're looking for. A Game of Armored Combat is all you need to dig your teeth into the classic version of Battletech. This is more a traditional mech combat simulator with a rule for every conceivable situation in a sourcebook somewhere.

Alternatively you could pick up Alpha Strike which is a more streamlined way to play with more mechs on the table as a starting point.

Either way, different colors of dice, especially in pairs, is useful in both games to do multiple rolls at the same time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Poly pockets for ring binders and whiteboard markers make using physical sheets way easier. As handy as digital sheets are you are better off learning with paper.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
One thing to note is that there are two possible rulebooks you can get for classic Battletech, the Battlemech Manual or Total Warfare. I highly, highly recommend you get the Manual. TW has rules for unit types other than mechs but is an absolute nightmare to use, with bizarre organization and rules hidden in wordy paragraphs with little rhyme or reason to their placement. It was originally written when W was president and Battletech was on life support and it shows.

The BMM by contrast is kind of a miracle of games writing, working well both as a reference document and for teaching the full rules of the game. It only covers mechs, but it is just an infinitely better rulebook. I highly recommend it as your second purchase after the Game of Armored Combat box.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FishFood posted:

The BMM by contrast is kind of a miracle of games writing, working well both as a reference document and for teaching the full rules of the game. It only covers mechs, but it is just an infinitely better rulebook. I highly recommend it as your second purchase after the Game of Armored Combat box.

Wait, what is the difference between the GoAC book and the BMM? Is what's in GoAC not the full rules?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Wait, what is the difference between the GoAC book and the BMM? Is what's in GoAC not the full rules?

I mean, Battletech has rules for *everything*. The GoAC rules will cover all the basics aroubd moving and shooting and punching, but if you wanna uproot a tree and smack someone with it you'll need to look in more advanced manuals.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Magnetic North posted:

GoAC covers what is called introductory rules - what used to be called "level 1" or "3025." TW covers the full standard rules, while the BMM is just stuff for mechs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Magnetic North posted:

GOAC is the "Introductory" rules which are still the real actual game but with a scope limited to a particular time (3025ish) and level of complexity (Introductory tech level, which one upon a time in the 80s was the whole game).

BattleMech Manual includes a lot (but not all) of the stuff for mechs that has been introduced since. You can reasonably call it "the full rules" (for mechs) and it is a good shorthand for what is socially acceptable to bring to any given game without notice to your opponent.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I'm re-reading Marauder, the collection of short horror stories featuring the Dark One and Black Kevin. Great little stories, a real breath of fresh air in the BT universe where military scifi featuring characters with zero family seems to be the norm.

I really feel BattleTech shines when the stories are character-driven and small-scale, rather than "Let's talk about what's going on for this faction next".

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
BMM is literally the exact book to buy immediately after finishing the content from AGoAC.

If the Force Manuals were actually finished and released I would recommend those too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 31, 2023

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Magnetic North posted:

After some delay, I am considering buying into the CGL Battletech. With multiple entry points (Essentials, Beginner Box, A Game of Armored Combat, etc), I'm trying to take a sensible first step in to have a fairly complete experience. But it seems like all I really need are:

Box of my choice (I might aim low here, depending on what the person I'd play with is willing to do)
Dice to mark facing / movement (typically red, white, black and yellow?)

It doesn't seem like you need anything else, but is there anything else you all think is a big QOL improvement? I've already got things like other dice and paint.

BT is designed to be modular in terms of play, so there's no one true way to play it and thus one true way to buy into it. This gives flexibility, but can be confusing for new players.

Essentials is BT with training wheels. It's designed specifically to cut corners, chopping away from the regular rules to give a stripped-down experience for people completely new to the game and perhaps gaming in general. This makes it pleasantly easy to pick up, but you may feel that it's extremely limiting as a result, since in cutting away complexities it also cuts away tactical and gameplay possibilities. However, it's strictly intended to get your feet wet: no one sticks around at this level of play. Even if you think you can handle the full ruleset (i.e. everything else, since no other product uses these beginner rules), this is still a decent buy since it's quite cheap and the maps, mechs and terrain counters that come with it are fully compatible with the rest of the game: you'd only be tossing the tiny rules booklet.

AGOAC is 99% of the full game (there's a very, very small handful of niche rules that are considered "standard", but not included in it). It's a great bargain in terms of content, providing plenty of mechs and new maps. No matter what, I suggest you get this.

From there you have a fork in the road, which boils down to:
1) "I only care about giant stompy robots." In that case, you want the BattleMech Manual.
2) "I'm intrigued by combined-arms play: infantry, tanks, helicopters, battle armour." In that case, you need Total Warfare, and eventually Tactical Operations: Advanced Units & Equipment if you're going to play in any remotely modern era.

The Manual has the advantage of matching the layout and organization of AGOAC, so it's a very comfortable, logical-feeling step up. AGOAC was designed specifically to work with the Manual. TW is older and more haphazard, but there's no other choice if you want combined-arms play.

Dice: you don't need the yellow movement dice unless you're playing with advanced Tactical Operations rules for sprinting. This is rather rare.

The biggest QOL improvement I can recommend is a copy of MapPack: Grasslands and then MapPack: Deserts (either the cheaper paper or the better but much more expensive neoprene). These two packs give you tons of very usable variety, making the games play out consistently different. It will get stale relatively quickly just battling over the same base maps: map packs are the thing I always recommend as the cheapest, easiest way to expand your games.

FishFood posted:

The BMM by contrast is kind of a miracle of games writing, working well both as a reference document and for teaching the full rules of the game.

This is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about the book. Thank you.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 31, 2023

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Xotl posted:

This is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about the book. Thank you.

I love the BMM, it's an incredible resource and one of my favorite game books ever. My number one desired Battletech book is a BMM sequel for vehicles and infantry (and maybe aerospace too) so I can finally throw TW in the garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
There will eventually be an all-new core book that draws heavily on the BMM, part of a new core line that tries to rationalise the mess we have right now and cut down on cruft. It's not really even been started yet, but while the core BT rules aren't changing in any meaningful sense you can be certain all the same that there will be little resemblance to TW when it's done. Even Randall understands TW has lots of room for improvement and he's its primary author.