Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Popete posted:

It probably makes more sense if they want to trade him to wait until the deadline. The Yankees will likely be competing next year as you would expect some bounce back from Rizzo/Stanton/LeMahieu. If they are out of the race by the deadline then you move Torres, it doesn't really make sense to move him now unless you're committing to a rebuild and don't want to contend next season (seems unlikely).

I think it's pretty clear that I feel they need to do this. The team won't though because they have committed to being mediocre forever because it's a better business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

It's much easier to make big trades in the offseason than at the deadline... what are you talking about?

If the Yankees are looking to compete next year which it seems like they are then trading Torres doesn't make a lot of sense given him and Judge were basically their entire offense this year.

If they get to the deadline and aren't looking like they'll make the playoffs trade Torres then. If they trade him now that's just another gap they have to fill and what exactly are they trading for?

It doesn't sound like the Yankees have a lot of pieces to make any big trades this off season and if the target is Soto then Torres doesn't really fit into a deal as the Padres are set up the middle.

Popete fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 27, 2023

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Sydin posted:

Their needs are what, 1B, CF, pitching?

Pretty much, yeah. Really though they “only” need Cronenworth to be like a 105-110 OPS+ guy and not 80 or whatever he was this year. Having a full year of Campusano instead of 3+ months of Nola behind the plate should be a massive boost even if Campusano’s bat isn’t world beating. Same with Grisham in center. They’ll miss his glove but they literally just need a 95-100 OPS+ guy there. Easier said than done I guess.

And oh yeah they need two more starting pitchers, basically exactly what Wacha and Lugo gave them this year. Losing Snell will hurt but if they patch up holes and just have a little better luck it’ll go a long way

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

If the Yankees are looking to compete next year which it seems like they are then trading Torres doesn't make a lot of sense given him and Judge were basically their entire offense this year.

If they get to the deadline and aren't looking like they'll make the playoffs trade Torres then. If they trade him now that's just another gap they have to fill and what exactly are they trading for?

It doesn't sound like the Yankees have a lot of pieces to make any big trades this off season and if the target is Soto then Torres doesn't really fit into a deal as the Padres are set up the middle.

Torres would probably be a trade for another major leaguer. Likely nothing to do with a Soto trade since cutting payroll is the reason they would be trading Soto in the first place.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
But who are they even trading for? You still need a 2b, for a team that struggled offensively it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade away your +offense 2b.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
All past discussions about trading him have been for a starting pitcher, with Yamamoto out there for only money that's a dumb idea.

It's more realistic to get a real outfielder using Schmidt

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nodoze posted:

All past discussions about trading him have been for a starting pitcher, with Yamamoto out there for only money that's a dumb idea.

Yeah but Yamamoto is going to sign with the Cubs so it's moot for everybody else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Yeah but Yamamoto is going to sign with the Cubs so it's moot for everybody else.

I almost feel bad for all these other teams, what with the Cubs signing Ohtani, Bellinger, and Yamamoto

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

I almost feel bad for all these other teams, what with the Cubs signing Ohtani, Bellinger, and Yamamoto

Trading for Soto and Alonso too!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Just saw Dusty out at Picos.

He looked to be enjoying retirement. I am happy for him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

They should be laser focused on the offense. The pitching is good enough.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

What positions do they need to fill? Everywhere but RF and 2B? Their OPS numbers are dire :aaaaa:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

No it isn't actually

Cole
Rodon (bad, was also injured multiple times)
Cortes coming off multiple injuries (again)
King (only been a starter in the majors for like two months)
Schmidt was OK for his first season
Montas and Severino fired into the sun hopefully

They need at least one starter

Forrest on Fire posted:

What positions do they need to fill? Everywhere but RF and 2B? Their OPS numbers are dire :aaaaa:

Left field for sure since they don't really have one. IKF was playing left field lmao
Some kind of at least stop gap CF until Dominguez recovers from TJS
Catcher I assume will be Wells going forward

After that it depends on if they trade Gleyber or not. If they do I'd assume Peraza or DJLM moves over to 2b. Volpe isn't going anywhere at SS, 1B depends on if Rizzo recovers or not

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 27, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bobby Jenks is now managing the Windy City Thunderbolts in the frontier league.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Trading for Soto and Alonso too!

Cubs final record will be 80-82 with a +230 run differential

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/RyanJackNYY/status/1717989153843851476

This is a very silly story.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes I'm sure the Padres, whose owner bluntly said in public that he wants to cut payroll by 20% this winter, are eager to take back a bad contract just to do the Yankees a solid, and Stanton will be happy to waive his NTC to go to San Diego.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hearing on the grapevine that the Taillon could be A fit for a Soto deal should talks progress. Prospect capital like Ed Howard and Burl Carraway thrown in as well should be enough to get the job done.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s just gonna be nonsense click bait articles from now until the winter meetings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

No it isn't actually

Cole
Rodon (bad, was also injured multiple times)
Cortes coming off multiple injuries (again)
King (only been a starter in the majors for like two months)
Schmidt was OK for his first season
Montas and Severino fired into the sun hopefully

They need at least one starter

Left field for sure since they don't really have one. IKF was playing left field lmao
Some kind of at least stop gap CF until Dominguez recovers from TJS
Catcher I assume will be Wells going forward

After that it depends on if they trade Gleyber or not. If they do I'd assume Peraza or DJLM moves over to 2b. Volpe isn't going anywhere at SS, 1B depends on if Rizzo recovers or not

They got NOTHING out of Severino, Cortes and Rodon and still had the 9th best ERA in the majors as a team. The lineup is by far the bigger need.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://twitter.com/rscharf_/status/1717964906828276106

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Imagine getting dunked on by a Crypto Guy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For better or worse the Yankee rotation is more or less setting even assuming Montas, Severino, and German are 100% gone. Cole, Rodan, Cortes, King, and Schmidt is strong if they can be healthy but you can’t really give up Rodan or Cortes spots. Of course if you can get a strong stable arm get it and Cashman has generally moved towards pitching depth. It would be funny if he signed Montgomery or someone and I do think they’re gonna be shopping. But I also think they feel about as comfortable as they ever do with who they have in house.

Position wise the priority is obviously an OFer. Long term that’s a LFer but they need a stop gap for CF until Dominguez can play and Judge can move around even though I doubt they want him to. So I’d they can acquire a big name LF/CF I think they might let Florial/Perera fill the other spot and home Dominguez gets back this season.

I feel like the IF is more or less filled. Gleyber should return, Volpe is the SS, Rizzo will be 1B if he’s healthy, DJLM had an healthy 2022 and excellent second half, and Peraza has to fit in somewhere. If there was a big option to get out there that might be another story but I don’t think you clog that up for Matt Chapman. Unless there is some trade that moves Gleyber/Volpe/Peraza.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If they go into next season with basically the same team with 1 added OF that is an utter catastrophe. They need to turn over the roster.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As usual my stock response is “how?” But it also feels like it ignores that they actually did turn over like half their lineup and rotation last year. Again if you want better, more established, star options the question is “how?”

It’s been said before but you can’t turn over a roster and compete in a single offseason. Only way to come close is with a bunch of rookies and they’re certainly trying that as much as they can.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

As usual my stock response is “how?” But it also feels like it ignores that they actually did turn over like half their lineup and rotation last year. Again if you want better, more established, star options the question is “how?”

It’s been said before but you can’t turn over a roster and compete in a single offseason. Only way to come close is with a bunch of rookies and they’re certainly trying that as much as they can.

It doesn't have to be stars. I said over and over again that it will likely need to be a combination of mid tier FA's and trades but since Cashman is the GM for life and he makes 6 million a year or however much he makes he's going to have to figure out how to clean up his mess..... or not and just stay the GM lol

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

Funny you should mention that, they're allegedly in the running now. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/cubs-reportedly-interested-in-juan-soto.html

I'm assuming this is clickbait or ownership setting up a "we tried" scenario if/when Cody leaves and Tommy Boy has to take the stage at the Cubs Convention. NGL, kinda worried they're so fixated on "Replacing Bellinger" (On field, and even more for marketing) they'll blow their entire load there and run it back with the rest of the same crew, which certainly never came back to bite the team in the rear end.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
One Yankee FA target could be Candelario. Fills an immediate need at 3B and could move to 1B after Rizzo is gone. Might be too expensive in terms of AAV or contract term though. If you get him it likely keeps LeMahieu in the super-utility role, which would likely be a good thing rather than locking him into playing just one position every day. Getting at least one starting-quality outfielder is a distinctly higher priority though over improving the infield.

There was some talk around the deadline that has cropped up about engaging the Cardinals about one or another outfielder. Maybe Carlson? I'm just not very excited about the idea. You could get Kiermaier for just money.

Agreed that running the same lineup back from 2022/2023 even with +1 CF/LF would be a huge mistake.

What will start to shape their course really is the Torres question though. As others have said he is the most movable piece if they want to move him. Of the four options a)trade now b)hold and see, maybe consider moving at the deadline c)let the contract play out & d)sign long term, I think b) is most likely, followed by d), a), and c) being much less likely than any other option. Cashman basically holds on to young(er) players forever, and doing nothing now is the conservative route of least resistance, so it's probably what he'll do. I rate signing now slightly above trading now just because it would rock the boat less, but I don't really have a great inkling about which direction the organization wants to go.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Funny you should mention that, they're allegedly in the running now. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/cubs-reportedly-interested-in-juan-soto.html

I'm assuming this is clickbait or ownership setting up a "we tried" scenario if/when Cody leaves and Tommy Boy has to take the stage at the Cubs Convention. NGL, kinda worried they're so fixated on "Replacing Bellinger" (On field, and even more for marketing) they'll blow their entire load there and run it back with the rest of the same crew, which certainly never came back to bite the team in the rear end.

It does mention that the Padres are interested in Morel.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Trading four years of Morel for one year of Soto would be a really dumb thing to do unless the Cubs were going to go all in on '24 and also brought in additional offense + a real 3B + front of the rotation pitching + actual reliable pen arms.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I fully expect a Guerrero for Soto deal if the Jays can sign Soto long term.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
no way the Cubs trade for Soto, that guy is only like 25 years old, that's practically an infant

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

no way the Cubs trade for Soto, that guy is only like 25 years old, that's practically an infant

Ross would find some way to justify batting him 7th.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I fully expect a Guerrero for Soto deal if the Jays can sign Soto long term.

Nobody is extending Soto. Not the Dodgers, not the Jays, not the Cubs, not the Mets, nobody. He already turned down an extension that would have made him the highest paid player in the sport, and in the subsequent years after top shelf FA contracts have only continued to balloon in value. Soto is going to FA hell or high water, and if you want him you're paying full price for him there. A trade is a one year rental and nothing more.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
https://twitter.com/LockedOnCubs/status/1718281515270910425

Hoyer drives a hard bargain.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I mean, Morel is a strikeout machine and an absolute butcher on defense, but he occasionally hits massive fingers; I don't see why the Cubs should hug him.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
That'd be like the Red Sox trading Betts straight up for Verdugo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

I mean, Morel is a strikeout machine and an absolute butcher on defense, but he occasionally hits massive fingers; I don't see why the Cubs should hug him.

If Soto had more years remaining or I had confidence the Cubs would actually spend to build around him for a serious shot at getting a ring then yeah pull the trigger. But all accounts are Tom once again does not want to dip into the tax and there's little to no money coming off the books unless Stroman opts out, and I'm not confident this is a postseason team by just adding Soto.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They're only trading for one year of Soto. If they want him after that they'll have to be the high bidders on the open market.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

If Soto had more years remaining or I had confidence the Cubs would actually spend to build around him for a serious shot at getting a ring then yeah pull the trigger. But all accounts are Tom once again does not want to dip into the tax and there's little to no money coming off the books unless Stroman opts out, and I'm not confident this is a postseason team by just adding Soto.

That's my thought- I think Tom would go over the tax in July, but no way he starts the season above it. It also probably moves Happ to CF full time which isn't ideal but both he and Suzuki have no-trades. Everywhere else you're running it back with mostly the same cast of characters along with another round of bullpen castoffs. That's not a team 1 piece away, buuuuuut if that tweet isn't BS and the cost is only Morel, I could see a scenario where you make the deal and see where you are in July. If they're really in it go ham at the deadline and make a run, if you're not (or like this year, if it's a solid "eh, maybe?") then flipping a paid down Soto probably nets you more than Morel+20 million could have gotten you and your system is still intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Padres better take Taillon's contract off the Cubs' hands if the Cubs are gonna be eating the vast majority of Soto's deal.