Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Does Hades have a happy ending or at least some sort of resolution? I've escaped a couple times and it's just heartbreakingly sad.

Yes by and large but it is a little bitter sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Does Hades have a happy ending or at least some sort of resolution? I've escaped a couple times and it's just heartbreakingly sad.

Yes, actually! Pretty much exactly that, the characters have a bunch of their conflicts hashed out in a mostly adult manner. (I don't know what the above poster is talking about with "bittersweet", maybe because Zag doesn't go on endless adventures with his new human friends while eating ice cream all day or something?)

edit: I think it's called the "epilogue" or something, involves scrolling credits, so you'll know it when you see it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks, appreciate it!

uhh, how good at the game do I have to be to actually get there :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Thanks, appreciate it!

You just have to escape a bunch, make sure you speak to Persephone each time and get friendly with people.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Foul Fowl posted:

i fuckin love max payne 2 so much

Yeah it's great

Hmm perhaps I should play it again

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Thanks, appreciate it!

Hades has a mode that reduces damage taken every time you die.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Unless they changed it, it caps out at 40% reduction

VVVVVV still not enough if you suck at the game

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 27, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

40% damage reduction makes a huge difference

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Thanks, appreciate it!

I think it's ten times to trigger the actual ending. I should really go back and finish that game I think I stopped after 6 or 7 successful runs.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

ymgve posted:

Depends how much you suck at the game, but Hades isn't the most balls-out difficult game in the world. The game has built in optional extra difficulty with the heat settings. A 40% reduction in damage is going to help out immensely if you are mostly competent.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh right, yeah I forgot about the easy mode. I'm extremely bad at noticing environmental effects. Weirdly souls games are not an issue but anything 2d is a struggle.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve posted:

Unless they changed it, it caps out at 40% reduction

git mediocre

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Leal posted:

So what did he do in bandcamp? Does it involve a flute?

It's loving dead chief.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Oh right, yeah I forgot about the easy mode. I'm extremely bad at noticing environmental effects. Weirdly souls games are not an issue but anything 2d is a struggle.

I mean souls games are very very slow, yours and enemy animation always have tens, some times hundreds of frames between them (and the bosses that break those rules like Pontiff Sullivan are rightfully called out for being bullshit!)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember how the disney life sim Dreamlight Valley was gonna be f2p at launch? well

quote:

AN UPDATE ON FREE-TO-PLAY

As we look ahead to the official launch, with the learnings we've gained from Early Access, we've made the decision to remain a paid game for the foreseeable future. This means we will not make the transition to be a free-to-play game when we leave Early Access on December 5th.

e: it will also raise the price to $40 at launch. AFAIK, all the MTX stuff is staying in

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 27, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GhostDog posted:

Dude EGS is fine. Like, seriously. It's barebones, but if you don't want to make it into your main launcher like people do with Steam and just want to play this game, it's fine. FINE.

I give you a tip: Use Playnite. Then you can launch all your games from there and it will start the required UBI/EA/EGS/GOG/Steam/etc. launcher with the game and even close it again afterwards.

Don’t forget Amazon/indiegala/itch & emulation as well…Playnite is the bee’s knees !

Edit:
Battle.net, too

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 27, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bought "In sound mind" from steam, and the EGS chat from a few pages back made me go check it out, and realized I'd already had it there. Probably free. :rip:

The 7th Guest posted:

remember how the disney life sim Dreamlight Valley was gonna be f2p at launch? well

e: it will also raise the price to $40 at launch. AFAIK, all the MTX stuff is staying in

Was this game any good as a farming/down-to-life sim? It's a harvest moon clone, right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Isn't capitalism grand :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I feel weird about the latest update about Factorio's upcoming expansion as it seems to be a lot of "we found a way for you to have fun, so we removed it :)"

quote:

With the cargo bay extenders, can't we use the one big inventory as a teleport?
We aren't noobs :) Why do you think cargo wagon can't be placed in space. Only the central hub can be used to access the items with inserters. It can be utilised on a small platforms, but it can't be abused in a scalable way.

Why can space platforms not have holes?
The reason is driven by a gameplay motivation. If you could have holes in the space platform, it would basically mean, that you can do a very comfortable spacious setup, and just remove all the unused tiles to reduce the platform weight.
We wanted to push the minigame of building a belt based mini factory in a limited space. So far, it seems to be doing its job as intended.

and then finally I feel REALLY weird about changing the entire endgame goal - for 10 years it's been "to win factorio vanilla, launch a rocket, this is a huge epic undertaking that feels amazing to achieve"

now it's...

quote:

If blue science leads to rockets do we get advanced stuff like low density structure and rocket control unit earlier, or are rockets different?
Low density structure is blue science. Rocket control units were removed and processing units are used instead.

On top that, we lowered the cost of the rocket by 20 times. This is to lower the focus on rockets, because you will have to produce rockets on every planet eventually, send quite a lot of rockets to build your platforms, and to move stuff between planets.

This results in thousands of rockets being sent in the expansion at least.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

and then finally I feel REALLY weird about changing the entire endgame goal - for 10 years it's been "to win factorio vanilla, launch a rocket, this is a huge epic undertaking that feels amazing to achieve"

now it's...

Of course the goal will be different when so much of the expansion is about doing stuff in space and other planets.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sininu posted:

Of course the goal will be different when so much of the expansion is about doing stuff in space and other planets.

Well yeah, but I wish they had gone "you know how launch lots of rockets is a challenge? We've incentivized that and added new tools to enable that", thus preserving the original goal of the game.

This feels completely different in ways that are simultaneously exciting and really worrying.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh, I had no idea they were even doing a Factorio expansion.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Huh, I had no idea they were even doing a Factorio expansion.

They've basically been silently working on it since 1.0 and only now are starting to reveal information about it. There's some good poo poo on the horizon - elevated trains are particularly exciting.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well yeah, but I wish they had gone "you know how launch lots of rockets is a challenge? We've incentivized that and added new tools to enable that", thus preserving the original goal of the game.

This feels completely different in ways that are simultaneously exciting and really worrying.

For one, keep in mind that this is the team that produced a strong contender for the best designed game of all time. Have some faith.

For another, using rockets to build space platforms and travel to other planets was always a design goal for Factorio, just one they put aside in order to be able to properly polish and release the game. There are also mods that implement this and provide some baseline data for how players have interacted with it.

For another, I recommend you read all the blogs they have put out since they announce the expansion. There are numerous new demands that will force you to scale up your factory, and corresponding new features to make scaling up easier like in the base game phases. Scaling down the cost of rocket launches let's them keep rocket deliveries relatively granular without forcing you to build a megabase just to start interacting with expansion content. It also introduces more choices about what technologies to chase and when.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pigbuster posted:

They've basically been silently working on it since 1.0 and only now are starting to reveal information about it. There's some good poo poo on the horizon - elevated trains are particularly exciting.

Oh hell yeah

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Don’t forget Amazon/indiegala/itch & emulation as well…Playnite is the bee’s knees !

I love that I can change whatever I want in the library. My Hitman 3 was called A World Of Assassination way before that became the official name :smug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

K8.0 posted:

For one, keep in mind that this is the team that produced a strong contender for the best designed game of all time. Have some faith.

For another, using rockets to build space platforms and travel to other planets was always a design goal for Factorio, just one they put aside in order to be able to properly polish and release the game. There are also mods that implement this and provide some baseline data for how players have interacted with it.

For another, I recommend you read all the blogs they have put out since they announce the expansion. There are numerous new demands that will force you to scale up your factory, and corresponding new features to make scaling up easier like in the base game phases. Scaling down the cost of rocket launches let's them keep rocket deliveries relatively granular without forcing you to build a megabase just to start interacting with expansion content. It also introduces more choices about what technologies to chase and when.

1) No faith since they hired the one space mod guy (as an artist, but uhhhh I did not like how he balanced that mod, it was very player-hostile)

2) The rest of this post is valid and makes good points. I don't know yet if I like how they're changing things around, but.... hey. I am curious to see how it all fits together. Distrustful, but curious. Think of me as a wary feral cat who needs to be soothed with elevated trains.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I bought "In sound mind" from steam, and the EGS chat from a few pages back made me go check it out, and realized I'd already had it there. Probably free. :rip:

Was this game any good as a farming/down-to-life sim? It's a harvest moon clone, right?

Yeah dream light valley is really good. Even more so if you like Disney. It has a lot of content and runs great.

I’d say it’s a solid $20 game but kinda a hard sell at $40 unless you really like Disney.

The MTX stuff is a lot of cosmetics and so far they give a lot of the currency out while you play the game. It’s also not an online required game so I can play it on my steam deck and everything will sync up when I get an internet connection back.

It’s also on gamepass if anyone wanted to try it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Imagine liking Disney in TYOOL 2023.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Boooooring

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll wait for Dreamlight Valley's godawful live action remake

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

do you have a fetish for being miserable

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I always assumed the appeal of dreamlight valley was that it reminded you of disney when they actually drew cartoons

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

do you have a fetish for being miserable

Literally one of the worst corporations in the world and you can probably count the amount of non-poo poo movies they released in the last 10 years on the fingers of one hand.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pretty sure its not literally one of the worst corporations in the world lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Literally one of the worst corporations in the world and you can probably count the amount of non-poo poo movies they released in the last 10 years on the fingers of one hand.
its not a game where you sit down and watch indiana jones 5, it's a game about doing animal crossing stuff with cartoon characters from most peoples childhoods

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Pretty sure its not literally one of the worst corporations in the world lol

It can't be all that bad if it has kept us entertained with amazing Marvel movies for the past 15 years.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

its not a game where you sit down and watch indiana jones 5,

that's Fortnite

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

its not a game where you sit down and watch indiana jones 5, it's a game about doing animal crossing stuff with cartoon characters from most peoples childhoods

Nostalgia? You have convinced me. Disney is a great corporation that I will like in TYOOL 2023.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It can't be all that bad if it has kept us entertained with amazing Marvel movies for the past 15 years.

Movie. Singular.
For there's only one one copypasted about 50 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Nostalgia? You have convinced me. Disney is a great corporation that I will like in TYOOL 2023.
that's right