Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theCalamity posted:

I simply do not have confidence that the Democrats, as a whole, can accomplish much. They had opportunities to codify Roe v Wade, but did not. They had an opportunity to protect our voting rights and failed to do so. They had many opportunities to actually make things better, but didn't. Some of these Democrats are flat out against the goals that I want and I don't want to give them the power to destroy the things that I want to see happen.

I mean no offense by this, but I don't see it as a way of saving as many people as one can. I see it as letting the usual marginalized communities suffer so that the rest of us can be comfortable. lt's always be the same ones who have to be sacrificed: the homeless, the poor, the refugees at out southern border, etc. They are always the first ones to get thrown under the bus and I'm tired of it.

This is the main point here: what are the Democrats doing to win people over?

I think you've entirely missed the point. This isn't about political parties at all!

The question should be what you, personally, are doing to win people over to the policies (not political parties) that you personally support.

The important part is not to change people's preferred political parties, but rather to change their policy positions and what policies they find important. Once that's been sufficiently done, the political party stuff will work itself out one way or another. If there were fifty million single-issue Roe v Wade voters, then I guarantee you that Roe would still be active law right now one way or another.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Except that policies which fall under a generally "leftist" umbrella are insanely popular in both the US and UK when polled in a reasonably neutral fashion. They just get absolutely monstered by a compliant media apparatus during election season. How do you solve that? Apparently you don't, planet just dies instead

You solve that by getting people to care more - a lot more - about those policies! Policy polling, where people are asked "do you support X, yes/no?" isn't particularly important. What is important is how strongly people support those policies, how much they care about them, how much they're willing to center their political decisions around those specific policies. A policy position held by a minority of the electorate can still become a political priority if the minority of diehard supporters cares a whole loving lot more than the majority who vaguely kinda sorta opposes it when the pollsters remind them it exists.

Naturally, if people are changing their mind about the policy because the TV said so, then they didn't feel especially strongly about their initial position in the first place. The kind of super soft support that can be swayed by a few commercials and a couple of skeptical sounding news anchors is politically meaningless. It basically doesn't exist.

Josef bugman posted:

But they don't as a matter of course. The GOP is not changing their PoV on anything and they continue to weild influence across wide swathes of the USA despite not winning the last presidential election.

How does me voting for people and supporting them make them change their minds? Did the UK get less right wing after Tony Blair was in charge or did the messaging just change?

But I can't vote for anyone who even passingly represents me. The leader of the opposition supported doing war crimes to Gaza and saying that "women can't have dicks" how and why should I vote for people who do and say these sort of things?

The reason you can't vote for anyone who represents you is because so few people share your particular political views and priorities. Voting is the end of the political process, not the beginning. You get out there and change people's minds first, and then the electoral landscape (including not just who wins but who's even available to vote for) shifts in response to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, both the alcohol thing and yet another way COVID fucks people up sounds absolutely horrible. Especially since the trigger seemed to be hearing aids. My grandfather needed hearing aids the entire time I knew him since I was a child but he refused to wear them. Finally he admitted that he'd always just had horrible hearing so he never developed the mental barriers to tune people out since if they needed something they'd yell at him.

I could see the guy suddenly hearing voices he couldn't hear before building off of either hallucinations from alcoholism, COVID psychosis, or who knows what. The hearing aids acting as an amplifier for something already going unfortunately wrong. And of course we just treat mental illness in this country as something to ignore. Just rub some dirt on those voices you're hearing and suck it up, Johnny! It builds character!

I mean, we don't know the exact details, but in this shooter's case, his family identified something was wrong pretty early and the army forced him to go get in-patient mental health treatment for two weeks until he was declared stable enough to leave. That's actually pretty on the ball as far as mental health treatment goes and the opposite of everyone just telling him to tough it up. It's just the follow up and access to guns that enabled the shooting.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

The Top G posted:

Who are these people you encounter that are so knowledgeable & passionately opinionated about the various styles of socialized medicine programs? People I’ve met just want to pay less for—or even afford—their healthcare.

I can't speak for the specific types of programs that was mentioned by Killer robot, but it's common to see [large] shifts in polling for medicare for all healthcare when you start getting into more specifics. Here's an AP article that briefly discusses it: https://apnews.com/article/4516833e7fb644c9aa8bcc11048b2169

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 27, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Byzantine posted:

I'm in Kentucky.

Does my vote affect the Presidential election? No. Does it affect the Democratic primary? No. Can Kentucky's Senate seats flip blue? No. Can my district's House seat flip blue? No. Can my districts' seats in the state senate and house flip? No. Can a liberal get elected mayor in my town? No. Does getting mad at me for this somehow change the calculus? No.

That said, I do vote, if only to head off this exact discussion (and hey, maybe we'll get lucky again and keep Beshear) and also get a sticker, but come on. Voting doesn't do poo poo in huge swathes of the country, and the Grand Effect on marginalized people between me filling out a ballot and me hypothetically drinking myself unconscious on Election Day instead is nonexistent.

Voting hasn't stopped Big Mitch yet. Hell, he's at the point now where there's literally not enough potential voters left in the state to unseat him.

You get that there is some irony in talking about all the things your vote can’t, or hasn’t done, while you also have a fantastic counter example, Beshear.

A lot of Kentuckian lives are much better because of those 5000 votes he won by. A lot of women have access to safe abortions because of those votes. Refugee lives are better because of those votes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

You get that there is some irony in talking about all the things your vote can’t, or hasn’t done, while you also have a fantastic counter example, Beshear.

A lot of Kentuckian lives are much better because of those 5000 votes he won by. A lot of women have access to safe abortions because of those votes. Refugee lives are better because of those votes.

I'd like to add on that saying your vote doesn't count is self-defeatist. I bet a whole lot of Georgians didn't think their vote counted for poo poo until 2020 when all of a sudden the state flipped. Just because Dems lose a lot in Kentucky, doesn't mean your vote doesn't count. At a minimum, it shows the party what level of support they have in the state. If things start getting close like they did in Georgia, then the party has more incentive to take notice and invest more. Dems have won in strange places the last 6 years or so. Nothing is impossible.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Beshear's great but this isn't true. Abortion is completely illegal in Kentucky in all circumstances. One of the big issues in the current governor's race is that the Republican is opposed to creating exceptions for rape and life of the mother (and he keeps waffling on this instead of saying it directly) but regardless of who wins theres almost no chance of the GA creating those exceptions

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There is finally a "real" primary challenger for Joe Biden. Dean Phillips from Minnesota is a moderate Democrat who ran and unexpectedly won in a blood red district. He's only been in office since 2019 and is running primarily because he believes that Donald Trump is an existential threat to democracy and that Biden might not be able to beat him. He thinks that Biden has catered to the left too much and abandoned the center, which will hurt his ability to win a general election. He also believes that Biden and Trump are both too old and there needs to be a younger person making a generational argument against Trump.

https://twitter.com/CBSMornings/status/1717718226132520968

In other moderate Democrat news, one of the last remaining pro-gun Democrats in the House was Jared Golden from Maine. Following the mass shooting in Maine, he has now reversed his position and supports expanded gun control, including magazine limits and a ban on assault weapons.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1717664937294627265

In Republican House news, the new Speaker has put out his policy platform. It's the Bible.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1717718043525099743

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
poo poo, is Congress going to pass a law banning clothes made from two or more materials?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

HisMajestyBOB posted:

poo poo, is Congress going to pass a law banning clothes made from two or more materials?

Nah, this is the Supply-side Jesus, New Republican translation. The one that says "If we hate the gays enough and put enough melanin in concentration camps we will be rewarded in the afterlife!"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

If someone like selec or whoever believes that participating in elections lends legitimacy to the system that demonstrably doesn't care about legitimacy, ok, fine, whatever. I think that's weird and contradictory, but it's at least A Position.

But even if your vote doesn't count or you think complete Republican victory is inevitable, that's not a reason to not vote! If voting changes nothing, then it can't hurt to vote. If voting usually changes nothing, but a black swan event causes an election to actually matter, then not voting hurts.

This is all setting aside the fact that even if the Dems will fight to the death to preserve capitalism, there are objective differences in their policy toward vulnerable people that the Republicans openly want to harm. If you straight-up don't care about the near-term well-being of LGBT people and women with reproductive health issues because capitalism will eventually destroy the world, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

quote:

He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich.

-Proverbs 21:17

Sounds like it’s time for wealth redistribution.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kaal posted:

Sounds like it’s time for wealth redistribution.

poo poo, maybe the Mormons were right all along.... I should have remained a devout member and refused drinking wine so I could have been rich!

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
They don't even care about the golden rule, so why would they care about that?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason you can't vote for anyone who represents you is because so few people share your particular political views and priorities. Voting is the end of the political process, not the beginning. You get out there and change people's minds first, and then the electoral landscape (including not just who wins but who's even available to vote for) shifts in response to that.

Sure, but I also believe that we shouldn't have to vote alongside doing all of that if none of the options are palatable level of "less bad" as it were. Everyone is going to have different lines on that level but I think it is more than a bit strange to demand people vote when none of the options are ones you agree with even on some things or on things that directly damage you.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Matt Gaetz just put out a video where he seems to claim that the Republican Chairman of the Ways and Means committee is a closeted gay man that has asked Republican members of congress to keep his secret. However, he called Gaetz a liar and now Gaetz is outing him to prove that he has been lying for the last 20 years.

There have been rumors about him being gay for a long time, but it is sort of similar to Lindsey Graham in that there has never been any direct proof. It's not clear if Gaetz has any direct proof, but either lying to tell the world he is gay or outing him as gay are both pretty wild moves to make because he was mean to you.

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1717676347781263688

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In Republican House news, the new Speaker has put out his policy platform. It's the Bible.

The new Lot Clause is really going to make residents in popular locations rethink their dislike of tourists. Well, as long as those tourists are staying with hot relatives.

Can't wait to replace my flood insurance with rainbows either. Man is that going to confuse some people who want to hate the gays but also want dry carpet.

Matt Gaetz just put out a video where he seems to claim that the Republican Chairman of the Ways and Means committee is a closeted gay man that has asked Republican members of congress to keep his secret. However, he called Gaetz a liar and now Gaetz is outing him to prove that he has been lying for the last 20 years.

There have been rumors about him being gay for a long time, but it is sort of similar to Lindsey Graham in that there has never been any direct proof. It's not clear if Gaetz has any direct proof, but either lying to tell the world he is gay or outing him as gay are both pretty wild moves to make because he was mean to you.

Has any Representative ever worked harder to get expelled from the chamber?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 27, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

There is finally a "real" primary challenger for Joe Biden. Dean Phillips from Minnesota is a moderate Democrat who ran and unexpectedly won in a blood red district. He's only been in office since 2019 and is running primarily because he believes that Donald Trump is an existential threat to democracy and that Biden might not be able to beat him. He thinks that Biden has catered to the left too much and abandoned the center, which will hurt his ability to win a general election. He also believes that Biden and Trump are both too old and there needs to be a younger person making a generational argument against Trump.

https://twitter.com/CBSMornings/status/1717718226132520968

I don't think a three-term House member qualifies as a "real" primary challenger to the incumbent president. At a skim of the political press, they're describing it with phrases like "vanity project", "mid-life crisis", "quixotic", and "not likely to represent a genuine threat to the president". Aside from his general lack of public profile, there's also the fact that he missed the filing deadline in Nevada and chose to kick off his campaign in New Hampshire (which is unlikely to get any delegates this cycle). There's also the fact that one of his key advisers is Steve Schmidt, the McCain 2008 campaign manager who's spent the last decade and a half bouncing from long-shot candidate to long-shot candidate, trying to shed the stink of being the guy who convinced the McCain campaign that Palin would be a good VP pick.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think a three-term House member qualifies as a "real" primary challenger to the incumbent president. At a skim of the political press, they're describing it with phrases like "vanity project", "mid-life crisis", "quixotic", and "not likely to represent a genuine threat to the president". Aside from his general lack of public profile, there's also the fact that he missed the filing deadline in Nevada and chose to kick off his campaign in New Hampshire (which is unlikely to get any delegates this cycle). There's also the fact that one of his key advisers is Steve Schmidt, the McCain 2008 campaign manager who's spent the last decade and a half bouncing from long-shot candidate to long-shot candidate, trying to shed the stink of being the guy who convinced the McCain campaign that Palin would be a good VP pick.

That is why "real" was in scare quotes.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Gyges posted:

In typical republican fashion he will not accomplish anything, sadly

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

The new Lot Clause is really going to make residents in popular locations rethink their dislike of tourists. Well, as long as those tourists are staying with hot relatives.

Can't wait to replace my flood insurance with rainbows either. Man is that going to confuse some people who want to hate the gays but also want dry carpet.

The GOP lacks the spine to remove him . The whole party basically folded to his tantrum against McCarthy, why wouldn't he keep going?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Matt Gertz is going to have a WILD few days on Twitter I bet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Sure, but I also believe that we shouldn't have to vote alongside doing all of that if none of the options are palatable level of "less bad" as it were. Everyone is going to have different lines on that level but I think it is more than a bit strange to demand people vote when none of the options are ones you agree with even on some things or on things that directly damage you.

Well, because this is the US politics thread, this discussion is about the American political system. I suggest you take your grudges against Labour and the UK political system in general to one of the UK threads, instead of trying to interject them into US politics discussions. Or if you want to have an electoralism discussion in general, I'm pretty sure there's a dedicated electoralism thread already in D&D.

I severely doubt that Starmer's Labour is literally indistinguishable from the Tories, but it doesn't really matter anyway, because here in this thread we're talking about Republicans and Democrats, and thus whether it's an imperative to vote against theocratic white supremacist fascists who openly want to end democracy, ban abortion, and all sorts of other horrible things.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Josef bugman posted:

I think it is more than a bit strange to demand people vote when none of the options are ones you agree with even on some things or on things that directly damage you.

Ah my bad I was assuming you were pro-LGBT rights and pro-choice. I guess it makes sense to not vote if there aren't any parties conservative enough for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is also kind of darkly hilarious that Gaetz is also insisting that he is doing nothing wrong because he is just stating a fact about a person and not in a malicious way.

Then, he starts to say, "There's nothing wrong with being gay," but catches himself and stops.

It's like an ouroboros of pettiness and cynicism.

"How am I hurting him? I'm just outing the fact that one of the most powerful Republicans in the House is gay. That is just a literally true fact. Are you implying that just being gay by itself is bad?"

followed immediately by:

"Not that I think being gay is good. Obviously it is not, but he is lying and that is bad. That is what I am focusing on. I am just stating some facts about what he is lying about."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 27, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is Smith one of those virulently homophobic politicians or is he just a generic Republican (yes I know that probably means the same thing, but some are worse than others)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The amusing tidbit is that, if Santos is expelled, Gaetz becomes even more important because the Republican majority goes from 4 to 3.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is Smith one of those virulently homophobic politicians or is he just a generic Republican (yes I know that probably means the same thing, but some are worse than others)

He has basically a 100% anti-gay voting record, but his public rhetoric isn't virulently homophobic. He's mostly focused on mild homophobia and grieving about state's rights when it comes to gay issues.

When the Supreme Court ruled in favor of gay marriage, his statement denouncing it was mostly about the concept of democracy, legal precedent, and state's rights.

quote:

“As the son of a preacher, I have never wavered in my commitment to the biblical definition of marriage, and in our state, more than a million Missourians voted to define marriage as between one man and one woman. Until today, it was the right of each state to determine how they wished to define marriage.

“The Supreme Court wrote yesterday that it is not in the Court’s scope of power to undo the law. Yet, with today’s ruling, five unelected, unaccountable judges in Washington, D.C., stripped more than a million Missourians of their voice and of their vote by tearing a page out of the Missouri constitution.”

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Main Paineframe posted:

I severely doubt that Starmer's Labour is literally indistinguishable from the Tories, but it doesn't really matter anyway, because here in this thread we're talking about Republicans and Democrats, and thus whether it's an imperative to vote against theocratic white supremacist fascists who openly want to end democracy, ban abortion, and all sorts of other horrible things.

You would be wrong. But your point is well taken, this is not really the place for this.

burnishedfume posted:

Ah my bad I was assuming you were pro-LGBT rights and pro-choice. I guess it makes sense to not vote if there aren't any parties conservative enough for you.

Again the people I can vote for over are not pro LGBT. They are in fact anti T in a lot of ways. That's part of the problem.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Biden was never going to be elected and Pass Socialism. But if Clinton beat Trump in 2016 then the Romney wing of the Republicans would be ascendant and they'd be focused on budget deficits and economic policy rather than the domionist stuff they are in now, and the democratic party would need to move further to the left to compete.

I don't see why this would be the result of a Trump loss. Trump's loss in 2020 didn't revitalize a moderate faction in the party, why would his loss in 2016 accomplish this?

And why would the Democrats move farther to the left to compete with a party that's moving farther to the middle?

It's possible that your narrative is the real counterfactual but it seems just as plausible to say "if Clinton beats Trump in 2016 then a more competent and more scary extremist Republican runs against her in 2020" or "if the Republicans move toward the center, the Democrats move toward the center to try to keep their share of voters in the middle."

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

"The center" these days includes support or at least toleration for homosexuals, so as someone who lived through the 90s, it seems pretty goofy to say that things haven't gotten better, even as there's still a long way to go.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't see why this would be the result of a Trump loss. Trump's loss in 2020 didn't revitalize a moderate faction in the party, why would his loss in 2016 accomplish this?

And why would the Democrats move farther to the left to compete with a party that's moving farther to the middle?

It's possible that your narrative is the real counterfactual but it seems just as plausible to say "if Clinton beats Trump in 2016 then a more competent and more scary extremist Republican runs against her in 2020" or "if the Republicans move toward the center, the Democrats move toward the center to try to keep their share of voters in the middle."

On the first point, the point was that it takes multiple cycles. Regan won twice then Bush won. That’s 12 years of one thing. We haven’t seen that long term success from the Democrats in my lifetime.

If the Republicans moved toward the middle why would the Democrats also move toward the middle? That’s just not how Overton windows work at all.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Looking forward to him banning interest on student loans/mortgages and setting up a public fund to feed, house and provide medical care to anyone who needs it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

uPen posted:

Looking forward to him banning interest on student loans/mortgages and setting up a public fund to feed, house and provide medical care to anyone who needs it.

He prefers the book of Job I'm sure.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

On the first point, the point was that it takes multiple cycles. Regan won twice then Bush won. That’s 12 years of one thing. We haven’t seen that long term success from the Democrats in my lifetime.

This has nothing to do with whether Clinton defeating Trump in '16 would, as claimed, energize the moderate wing of the Republican party.

If the Republicans moved toward the middle why would the Democrats also move toward the middle?

If you're a voter in the middle, and the Republicans move toward you in middle, you might start thinking, "hmm, the Republicans are now closer to my beliefs than the Democrats." That's very dangerous for the Democrats - they might not only lose your vote, but lose it to the enemy. To cancel that out, the Democrats can move toward you as well.

Why should they move to the left, away from the voters who are now being more effectively wooed by the Republicans, and toward voters who would never vote for the Republicans anyway?

What I'm describing is just a case of median voter theorem - if you have politics along one axis, and voters always support the closest party to their own position, and only two parties, then the party closest to the median voter always wins. Distance from the median voter is a luxury, and an electoral disadvantage.

I'm not saying real life politics actually always work this way, but I don't know why we should believe they actually predictably work the other way, where if the Republicans move toward the middle, the Democrats move to the left.

That’s just not how Overton windows work at all.

The Overton Window is a label developed by a libertarian think tank to describe which policies the public will accept as imaginable or sensible, it doesn't describe how politicians or parties choose their positions in relation to that public sentiment.

Nervous posted:

He prefers the book of Job I'm sure.

If our politicians are gonna be Bible-heads, that's a good book to choose. Lincoln read Job a lot, maybe helped him with the courage to constantly call out bullshit.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 27, 2023

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I wouldn't say that the Minnesota 3rd is blood red, they voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012, Clinton in 2016 and Biden in 2020. Republicans in the 3rd were hanging on to a thread based on Rep Ramstad's and Rep Paulsen's reputations as a moderate pro choice republicans. It just came at the end that Paulsen couldn't seperate himself from the national republican party and demographic changes crushed republicans in the western suburbs.

Min Sec State has a bunch of historic voting result maps where you can see how things have changed over time
https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/election-results/

2008 peak Obamamania

2020 gently caress trump Biden is good enouigh i guess

Going down the western/southern suburbs of Maple Grove, Plymouth, Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Edina!!! and Bloomington are now all reliable blue voters.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I dont think 8 straight years of Obama made Republicans go towards the middle (McCain and Romney presented themselves as statesmen rather than outsiders). Losing multiple elections energized the fringe anti-government movements to become the main base of the republican party, and the same people who hated losing to Obama now believe that it is impossible for them to lose elections.

If the process is universal, that losing elections makes parties similar / towards the electorate of the last election, then why did Trump- an anti-Obama in many ways- win? Why has the "anti-uniparty" political faction become ascendant, counter to the argument being made?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gerund posted:

I dont think 8 straight years of Obama made Republicans go towards the middle (McCain and Romney presented themselves as statesmen rather than outsiders). Losing multiple elections energized the fringe anti-government movements to become the main base of the republican party, and the same people who hated losing to Obama now believe that it is impossible for them to lose elections.

If the process is universal, that losing elections makes parties similar / towards the electorate of the last election, then why did Trump- an anti-Obama in many ways- win? Why has the "anti-uniparty" political faction become ascendant, counter to the argument being made?

Parties have often historically reacted to a disappointing loss by doubling down and assuming they weren't pure enough. Concluding that what the people need is to really see the (crazy, horrifying at the time to the middle) difference to win them back. Parties will eventually get tired of losing and do whatever they have to do to become more competitive.

The GOP had invested a lot of time and effort catering to their fringe to get them to keep voting every election, its going to take a lot of time wandering the political wilderness and getting their asses kicked before their base finally allows the party to do what they want. The longer it takes for the crazy right fringe to lose their grip on power within the GOP, the better for us.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesnt the Bible have a debt Jubilee? so Mike supports Dark Biden cancelling all that student debt, right? Also the musk thread said that dem prez challenger got birdbanned, so the dude either personally slighted musk or musk is bending the knee to dark biden.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

James Comer's first impeachment hearing was criticized by Republicans for bringing in witnesses who refused to lie under oath and undercut the charges made by the Republican panel by saying that there was no evidence for many of their claims.

That bad experience has apparently burned him and the reason the second impeachment hearing still has not been scheduled for almost two months is that they are considering not having any more hearings and just moving forward with a vote for impeachment instead.

They want to do more private depositions in the hopes of finding something because the public hearings have so far accidentally disproven several of their claims and giving Democrats chances to cross-examine the witnesses and grandstand has embarrassed several members of the committee.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1717919986952405187

quote:

Mike Johnson points to a Biden impeachment, even if the facts do not

On Thursday, House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) granted his first cable-news network interview since securing his new role. He was not playing on “hard” mode, certainly; his interlocutor was Fox News’s generally pliable Sean Hannity.

Because Johnson isn’t running against Trump, the questioning was gentle, like a dad giving his son a job interview at the family business. But Hannity was able to steer Johnson to dig a little deeper into some of Hannity’s pet issues — such as his ongoing campaign against President Biden.

Hannity had been pressing Johnson on his views of Biden administration officials and, then, on using impeachment to remove them from their positions. Then he turned to the president — or, really, to the president’s son and brother, who made millions working as consultants, often with foreign business partners.

“They’ve discovered nine particular Biden family members have been paid,” Hannity said of Republican representatives including House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.). “And then you have the issue of Joe on tape admitting that he used our money, taxpayer money, to leverage $1 billion in loan guarantees, which was [Barack] Obama administration policy, to fire a prosecutor investigating his son.”

This is not what the facts show. Biden was “on tape” participating in a panel discussion where he described applying pressure on Ukraine to fire a corrupt prosecutor, an effort that was the shared goal of a number of international actors. The prosecutor was not investigating Biden’s son, nor was the prosecutor investigating the company on whose board Biden’s son Hunter sat.

Johnson didn’t point these errors out. Instead, he praised Hannity’s presentation as a “pretty good recitation of the facts.”

He praised Comer’s work, which has robustly documented that, in fact, members of Joe Biden’s family did receive money from business partners. He has not shown that Biden himself received any money — except in the form of a loan repaid to him by his brother. “We have the receipts on so much of this now,” Johnson said, which, again, is true. It’s just that “this” is not anything that demonstrably ties Biden to the payments.

Nevertheless, Johnson continued, “that’s the reason that we shifted into the impeachment inquiry stage on the president himself. Because if, in fact, all the evidence leads to where we believe it will, that’s very likely impeachable offenses.” He noted that one of the grounds for impeachment was bribery, which, he claimed, the Biden situation “looks and smells a lot like.”

“I know people are getting anxious and they’re getting restless and they just want somebody to be impeached,” he added later, no doubt aware that Hannity has been attempting to elevate that anxiousness among his viewers for months. “But that’s not — we don’t do that like the other team. We have to base it upon the evidence, and the evidence is coming together. We’ll see where it leads.”

That’s a pretty generous assessment of the process so far. Comer and his colleagues, including House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) have repeatedly presented new allegations as proof of Biden’s wrongdoing — only to have them slowly be revealed as incomplete, misleading or unimportant. The loan repayment from Biden’s brother that Comer hyped last week is just such an example, presented as money flowing to Biden in proof of Comer’s long-standing allegations, before the nuance became obvious.

A better example is the testimony of Devon Archer, a former business partner of Hunter Biden’s. In a deposition before Oversight investigators, Archer confirmed that Hunter Biden understood that he couldn’t leverage his father, that he didn’t know of any point at which the president aided the business and that the company for which they both worked saw the firing of the Ukrainian prosecutor as a setback. But Comer and his allies focused heavily on Archer’s testimony that Joe Biden occasionally would call his son and be put on speakerphone while his son was in meetings with business partners. There were some slightly sour cherries to be picked, so they were picked.

The Hannity interview was useful in one sense. Johnson’s predecessor as speaker, Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), had approved the impeachment inquiry driven largely by Comer and Jordan. When McCarthy was ousted, it wasn’t clear what would happen. Johnson confirmed that it will move forward.

Or perhaps it won’t. In late September, the impeachment inquiry held a hearing involving a handful of witnesses, none of whom could provide any evidence impugning Joe Biden or his son, by their own admissions. The 2019 impeachment of Donald Trump — probably the target of Johnson’s sniffy disparagement of “the other team” — had released its final report about three weeks after its first hearing (which was followed by four more days of hearings). The Biden “impeachment inquiry” has held no more hearings in the month since the first one. And, by his own admission, Comer doesn’t want to.

“I don’t know that I want to hold any more hearings, to be honest with you,” Comer said while speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill last week. He complained that it was hard to keep members present for hours on end, given that so many had other commitments. Instead, he said, he preferred depositions, which “you can do more with.”

There’s a truth buried in that, of course. You can do more with cherry-picked transcripts when your goal is to coat Joe Biden with insinuations and unproved allegations. Had Devon Archer’s deposition been a hearing, the final result would have been that viewers saw him acknowledge that Biden was not involved in his son’s work. There would have been multiple Democrats on hand to evaluate Archer’s testimony critically, something that does Comer (and, by extension, Johnson) no good. In 2019, the witnesses were generally deposed before offering live testimony with cross-examination from Republicans. Comer appears to prefer stripping out that last bit.

Johnson’s tenure as leader of his party’s caucus began with his allies shielding him from difficult questions about the 2020 election. He has little choice but to endorse Comer’s efforts, of course, but it does seem that he’s been shielded to some extent from just how thin the allegations concerning the president actually are. There’s a narrative, carefully tended by Hannity, Comer and others, that continually overstates the case against Biden or that pronounces him guilty by familial association. Perhaps more will emerge, but at the moment, the GOP’s push toward impeachment is not based on substantial evidence at all.

One would think that at some point, Comer would need to present evidence that withstands objective scrutiny — including by non-right-wing media outlets. The value of adjudicating these things in public hearings is that they are tested and challenged, making the surviving evidence stronger. We can be more confident that Biden’s role in the firing of the Ukrainian prosecutor was not corrupt because the assertion was evaluated during the 2019 impeachment.

But we know this isn’t really necessary. Johnson and Comer can remain surrounded by their allies, including Hannity, and pluck stuff out of depositions that hops over the low evidentiary bar they’ve all agreed to. After all, it’s what they’ve done so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It absolutely does not matter to these people what's in the Bible. You can't own them by quoting scripture that contradicts their hatreds and bigotries. They don't give a gently caress and neither should you.