Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

FMguru posted:

Strong spine for a 16 year old.

AITA for saying to my dad ‘I’m not that interested in reconnecting with you’?

Stepmom immediately going in on OP's dog was a deliberate effort to sabotage her husband's tentative efforts to reconnect with his abandoned family, right?

quote:

He looked quite shocked and asked me if I'm choosing my dog over him. I told him yes.

Should have added "Unlike you, that dog's been there for me in the past four years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit: removed mean post

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Hughlander posted:

I'm going to assume that as long as the kids are paying for him the government won't do anything, the moment he's homeless he'll be arrested and deported for the Visa overstay. No one will want to put him up in detention.

Nah see I assume some border patrol guy will see a screen saying both deport and don’t allow to exit at the same time and they will kick it all the way up to the high court as people avoid making a decision.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Good chance this dude is going to end up in immigration detention (prison) while the government departments argue about whether the DPO takes precedence over a visa overstay or not.

Nah I think this covers it:
(2) Subject to subsection (3), a departure prohibition order remains in force unless and until revoked under section 14T or set aside by a court.
(3) A departure prohibition order made in respect of a person shall be taken, by virtue of this subsection, not to be in force in respect of the person during any period during which an order is in force under the Migration Act 1958 for the deportation of the person.

Deportation trumps the liability.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Nah see I assume some border patrol guy will see a screen saying both deport and don’t allow to exit at the same time and they will kick it all the way up to the high court as people avoid making a decision.

"If we deport him we're not allowing him to exit."

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

There was that weird immigration thing in Canada a couple years back, where Chelsea Manning was trying to get asylum in Canada. The government said that if she lost the hearing, they were going to deport her. But she was attending the hearing online from the States. So the government argued that she needed to physically go to Canada, so that if she lost the hearing they could kick her out -- because they wanted to kick her out of the country, and they couldn't kick her out if she wasn't actually there.

The judge laughed and told the government to gently caress off, then denied her asylum claim anyway.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Here's a nicely-developing spine:

AITAH for cutting my dad and step mom out of our lives and soon sister (no updates)

quote:

I, 27m and my wife 26f, recently cut my dad and step mom out of our lives due to some things being said. They moved us back to where I grew up after not being able to afford where we were living previous. After the 1st month of living with them and finding work they started to grow bitter towards us. I told them my wife will not work while our daughter is growing up, she is now 11months old, and can start working after our daughter starts school. To have extra money I found a 2nd job to work 2 days a week, it's more like a hobby that pays me since it's something I truly have a passion for. While living with my dad and step mom though my wife would get told she's either paying to much attention or not enough attention to our daughter regardless of any situation. On top of that my wife was not allowed contact naps with our daughter and missed out in our daughter's last true deep contact nap period when she was 4months old. After about 3 months i had enough saved to buy a car and get a place to rent (which i did both) but after i told my dad and step mom this they were both upset and started berating us saying we will not make it on our own (this was now 7months ago). Only time i messed up was when i doubled up some bills with our rent but my bills have never been late and they are paid every single month. I have been told that I am a constant liar, my wife will never change her ways, my daughter is under developed due to being taken care of by a SAH and we got tired of it so we cut them off when we moved out. After cutting them off my step mom has made it a goal to text/call us both 8+ times a week. Since we are not responding she decided to come to our house while my wife and I were out getting groceries. When she didn't get a response from our door she knocked on our neighbors door (we live in a triplex type house) and started to interrogate her asking why she didn't know where we were and why we didn't check in/out with her. My wife and I talked to people to work on our marriage and found out it was my dad and step mom putting stuff in our heads and making us turn on each other. After cutting them out and realizing it all we have had a great marriage again. As for my younger sister she got engaged and I didn't congratulate her due to her being tied in with my dad and step mom so much. I didn't want to bring the issues in on her. Well when I did congratulate her she called me and started berating me saying I have 2 options: make up with my dad and step mom or not attend her wedding. I will not be attending her wedding. AITAH or did we do the right thing?
LOL don't threaten me with a good time, sis.

What awful people. Not sure what was my favorite detail - the infant being underdeveloped because the mom is a stay-at-home, or the stepmom demanding that the neighbors report to her on what OP and his family were doing.

Some details from OP in comments:

quote:

Forgot main thing that drove the final blow to the nail. When i went to my dad's birthday (my wife and daughter stayed home not feeling good) I was told that they didn't want me there but wanted my daughter instead. Everything else in the post prior to my step mom showing up added to the nail being driven before we called it.

My neighbors have stated if she shows back up they are calling the cops due to how she was acting. My neighbors are all on my side and are happy with how we have not caved to the toxic behavior.

My thing is my dad was never really around anyways growning up due to always working. So with that he never got to know me. He only really likes to talk about work and bring up why I'm still with my wife. So to me it's really not a loss at all.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mx. posted:

maybe kid you just had bad vibes

AITA for refusing to resign a lease weeks before leaving my pregnant sister homeless?

my piss is beginning to fizz again

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

FMguru posted:

What's the relationship between "I enjoy people-watching" and "I am a leering creeper"? 98%? 99%? More?

The post is obviously fake, but I think plenty of people enjoy people-watching in a non-creepy way. Like sitting at an outdoor cafe and watching the world go by is a perfectly normal thing to do and is people-watching even if not everybody calls it that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
My boyfriend says he loves me even though he is cheating.

quote:

My boyfriend (M28) and I (F27) are together for 2,5 years. At the beginning it was going well, he was faithful but around 1.5 years ago he started talking about having threesome, being attracted to other girls. Later I caught him on dating apps several times but he said he just needed diversity and didn’t care about any of the girls he was seeing there. He said it was important for him to stay attracted to me and that he was always this way. He says he really loves me, we have good regular sex. But every time I’m gone for a trip he goes on hinge to meet girls. I don’t mind the physical part, Im afraid of him getting emotional with them. I asked him to always do it with protection, not to develop lasting connections, not to bring them home (we live together) and to be transparent. However, he is still doing it and doesn’t let the girls know that he is in relationship and every time I find out he says that he would rather not tell it because he doesn’t want to make me feel bad and cannot be successful with other girls if he tells them he is taken. At this point I’m about to go mad, how can I be sure he is not into them personally. I can only be attracted to someone if I’m in love with the person and cannot understand this behavior. Can it really be that he loves me if he is constantly trying to get laid with other girls?

TL;DR My (F27) boyfriend (M28) is telling me he only loves me but is having sex with other girls. It started as a committed relationship 2,5 years ago. I don’t understand if that can really be the case that he loves me but still does those things?

Boy golly, I wish I had a magical dick like this guy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

The post is obviously fake, but I think plenty of people enjoy people-watching in a non-creepy way. Like sitting at an outdoor cafe and watching the world go by is a perfectly normal thing to do and is people-watching even if not everybody calls it that.

people watching is great, and this thread is just a weird version of people watching lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Looking around at the world and enjoying the weird behaviour of other humans is great. Sitting in the corner and perving on the lithe bodies of women half your age on the other hand is not cool.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm still stuck on accordion dude. I've been a musician for more than thirty years and in my experience the only non-professionals who name their instruments are crusty, insufferable boomers. The musician is always a dude and the instrument is always a chick, and the whole thing is aggressively heteronormative at best and wildly misogynistic at worst. Just absolutely massive "I love a gal who will shut up and do what I tell her" energy across the board from most of these people.

Tl;dr: stop naming your tools after women, it's weird af.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Theophany posted:

WHY is she still with this guy?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cloacamazing! posted:

WHY is she still with this guy?

I think Theophany is saying magic penis.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

Self-esteem this low is rare, jesus

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Josef bugman posted:

I think Theophany is saying magic penis.

I'm sure she can get a better one off Amazon for twenty bucks!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Slate.com advice, it's Drew Afualo writing the column

quote:

I ended things with my partner recently—we’d been together for a little over a year. I kept noticing toxic behavior over and over again, which were: a lack of trust, trying to catch me in lies that didn’t exist, keeping a close eye on my location constantly, asking where I was/who I was with every time we were apart, and making unsolicited and sometimes hurtful comments about my appearance. I would bring those things up occasionally, but the sense he didn’t trust me was always there. I love this person, and the decision to end things was challenging because we do have a very strong bond. In the time we took apart, which was only two days, we both realized we didn’t want to give up on things. We reconciled, and I promised to work on my own part of the dynamic (fear of being hurt, better communication, etc.).

I came to find that in those two days, he had posted bashing commentary on Reddit about me in relation to our sex life, and a whole slew of things that were very disparaging and shocking to read. I understand it’s important to have an outlet, and he was hurt, but the things he said about me made me feel extremely violated and feel entirely uncalled for, as the conversations around the break up were measured, amicable, and mutually understood. I feel that I’ve been tricked and I can’t help but feel very confused and hopeless about the situation and that I don’t know what I’ve gotten myself into.

quote:

I say this with all the love in the world, but LEAVE HIM IMMEDIATELY! RUN! This person has made it very clear who he is and it is toxic, violating, and abusive. It doesn’t matter how upset someone feels over a breakup, they have no right to disrespect you in private, let alone in public. This person does not love you, he loves that he has you. He feels entitled to you. And the minute you exercised some agency, he jumped at the chance to bash you on the internet to other miserable, disgusting incels to make himself feel better. This is a violation of your privacy, and also humiliating—something that someone who truly loves you would never make you feel or experience. Ask yourself: Why do I think love needs to hurt in order for it to be real? Because it doesn’t. You deserve better than that. You are brave, strong, and confident. I am certain you can leave on your own and pursue the life and relationships you’ve always wanted.

eta

FMguru posted:

Strong spine for a 16 year old.

AITA for saying to my dad ‘I’m not that interested in reconnecting with you’?

Stepmom immediately going in on OP's dog was a deliberate effort to sabotage her husband's tentative efforts to reconnect with his abandoned family, right?

I thought adamantium was fictional, then I saw this kid's spine

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 27, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for going to a wedding my entire family is boycotting?

quote:

I have several sisters and this situation involves 2 of them. Our oldest sister (April) was dating Jack for 2 years while they were in college. She was a year ahead of him and when she graduate, she got a job offer in another state. She didn’t want a long distance relationship so she broke up with him before moving. The entire time they dated, we only met him twice so when they broke up, our family completely forgot about him.

5 years later, our youngest sister (Megan) was at an industry convention for her job and ran into Jack as he was one of the speakers. One thing led to another and they started long distance dating. Before it got serious, Megan asked April if she cared and was given “permission” to continue. April was engaged at the time and didn’t seem to care about their relationship. This year Jack moved back to our state to be closer to Megan and they eventually got engaged.

April started to make demands like being the maid of honor, vetoing the venue they picked, and not wanting to invite some mutual friends. I’m a dude and Megan’s wedding will be the first one I’ll be going to so I’m not sure April’s demands are out of line but both sisters ended up in a screaming match. I wasn’t there but I heard it got vicious.

To make a long story short, our family decided to boycott Megan’s wedding next year. Her reasoning is that Megan is breaking some rule by marrying her ex. Of course I think that’s a stupid reason. Megan and I have always been closer than the rest of the siblings so I decided I’m going to attend the wedding. Now April is on my case and saying that because I’m a guy, I don’t understand what a betrayal it is for Megan to marry her ex. Our family is saying I’m betraying April by supporting Megan’s betrayal. Now it’s this whole mess and I’m getting nonstop texts about what an rear end I am.

AITA giving heirloom necklace to my stepdaughter

quote:

I have a stepdaughter Leah (20) and a biological daughter Sienna (16). I've been in Leah's life since she was 9. While her biological mother is in her life, in practise I'm her mum. While it was initially rough (she was not happy about her dad dating ), she quickly calmed down and accepted us. She's still a cheeky smart arse, but we're all close and she definitely loves us.

My family has an heirloom necklace that is passed down to the eldest daughter. In the lead up to Leah's birthday my husband asked about the necklace. Apparently Leah had mentioned it, and he was curious what I was planning. Honestly I'd never considered whether it would go to Leah or Sienna. My first instinct was Sienna, but the more I thought about it the more I realised that felt wrong. Leah's the oldest and just as much my daughter. I'd always told her blood doesn't matter and we're really close. While Sienna knows the tradition, I've never promised it to her and rarely brought it up in general. So I decided to give it to Leah on her birthday. She was surprised but was so happy and grateful.

It felt like I made the right choice. But my family and, later, Sienna were furious. They think it should have gone to her. That a family heirloom should go to my biological daughter. My mother claims I'm betraying it's meaning, that I'm throwing everything away.

I don't agree with them. Obviously my husband supports whatever decision I make, but that's a given. But mother is the one who gave it to me, and thinks it's a mistake. Despite everything I'm worried I'm making a mistake even if I feel it's the right thing to do.

Edit. There are so many comments sorry if I don't respond to all, it'll just take way too long

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 27, 2023

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I'm still stuck on accordion dude. I've been a musician for more than thirty years and in my experience the only non-professionals who name their instruments are crusty, insufferable boomers. The musician is always a dude and the instrument is always a chick, and the whole thing is aggressively heteronormative at best and wildly misogynistic at worst. Just absolutely massive "I love a gal who will shut up and do what I tell her" energy across the board from most of these people.

I reject this notion; this is anecdotal on your end, and I'm gonna post my own anecdotes in contrast.

I was in band for 8 years (4 of elementary/middle school, 4 of high school) and the high school years included marching band (and a short stint in jazz band). It was not uncommon to name your instrument and refer to it with the appropriate pronouns. (i.e. "Did you see where I put Frank down?" "He's by the speakers") This wasn't isolated to just my school's band, either. We talked to other schools' marching bands during football season, they all did the same thing. We competed in marching band competitions throughout the surrounding counties (including the county where my best friends' school was) and they all did the same, too.

This was also in the 00s, I still had slowass dial-up internet, and I grew up in cornland. Things were slow to change and there was certainly a lot of heteronormativity and misogyny in a lot of the area's "culture" (for lack of a better word). But this was surprisingly gender-agnostic.

I also understand that we were minors, but if a bunch of kids are doing this in a gender-agnostic manner, then surely it would continue on into adulthood as gender-agnostic if any of them chose to do so?

For what it's worth, my family also names our cars, and refer to them as she or he (I always refer to my cars as she, but my mom calls her car he), as a sort of superstition of treating your vehicle like a living thing. You take good care of your car, and be gentle and respectful to your car, and your car will always see you safely home. And, to my family's credit, even when my car has had engine trouble on the road, it's always gotten me safely home or to an open mechanic to be fixed. Never been stranded in 15 years, and I've done a few dumb things before. I've known several friends throughout the years that also do this.

There has also never been a solid rule for genders of either the musician or their instrument (or the car equivalents). I am AFAB and have been attracted to both men and women, and all my instruments (and cars) have been considered "she" to me. My mom considers her cars "he" (as did my college roommate, also a woman). Our tuba player called all his instruments "he." My best friend has used "he" and "she" for instruments and cars about evenly. It was most certainly *not* misogynistic in our band or in my family/friend groups. Most in both were women, and used male and female names and pronouns pretty evenly. I can see how some people would do so, but it is most certainly *not* universal. Nor am I a boomer in either the literal or metaphorical sense.

People just like giving beloved tools/possessions names, and names often have pronouns attached. There's a joke that humans will pack-bond with anything. And musicians spend a lot of time with their instruments, and learning their individual one's quirks (I still remember the way my flute behaved), and this rings especially true with cars. Both are also often pretty expensive purchases. Nothing malicious is generally intended, though I understand being wary.

Quackles posted:

To get him out of her house.

Understandable.

Baron Zephyrus fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 27, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for going to a wedding my entire family is boycotting?

This sounds like some bro code bullshit but I guess it's sis code?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Modal Auxiliary posted:

honestly sounds like you need to hang around cooler musicians

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Baron Zephyrus posted:

I reject this notion; this is anecdotal on your end, and I'm gonna post my own anecdotes in contrast.

I was in band for 8 years (4 of elementary/middle school, 4 of high school) and the high school years included marching band (and a short stint in jazz band). It was not uncommon to name your instrument and refer to it with the appropriate pronouns. (i.e. "Did you see where I put Frank down?" "He's by the speakers") This wasn't isolated to just my school's band, either. We talked to other schools' marching bands during football season, they all did the same thing. We competed in marching band competitions throughout the surrounding counties (including the county where my best friends' school was) and they all did the same, too.

This was also in the 00s, I still had slowass dial-up internet, and I grew up in cornland. Things were slow to change and there was certainly a lot of heteronormativity and misogyny in a lot of the area's "culture" (for lack of a better word). But this was surprisingly gender-agnostic.

I also understand that we were minors, but if a bunch of kids are doing this in a gender-agnostic manner, then surely it would continue on into adulthood as gender-agnostic if any of them chose to do so?

For what it's worth, my family also names our cars, and refer to them as she or he (I always refer to my cars as she, but my mom calls her car he), as a sort of superstition of treating your vehicle like a living thing. You take good care of your car, and be gentle and respectful to your car, and your car will always see you safely home. And, to my family's credit, even when my car has had engine trouble on the road, it's always gotten me safely home or to an open mechanic to be fixed. Never been stranded in 15 years, and I've done a few dumb things before. I've known several friends throughout the years that also do this.

There has also never been a solid rule for genders of either the musician or their instrument (or the car equivalents). I am AFAB and have been attracted to both men and women, and all my instruments (and cars) have been considered "she" to me. My mom considers her cars "he" (as did my college roommate, also a woman). Our tuba player called all his instruments "he." My best friend has used "he" and "she" for instruments and cars about evenly. It was most certainly *not* misogynistic in our band or in my family/friend groups. Most in both were women, and used male and female names and pronouns pretty evenly. I can see how some people would do so, but it is most certainly *not* universal. Nor am I a boomer in either the literal or metaphorical sense.

People just like giving beloved tools/possessions names, and names often have pronouns attached. There's a joke that humans will pack-bond with anything. And musicians spend a lot of time with their instruments, and learning their individual one's quirks (I still remember the way my flute behaved), and this rings especially true with cars. Both are also often pretty expensive purchases. Nothing malicious is generally intended, though I understand being wary.

Understandable.

I support this.

My call my current car Grimlock, my last car was Hope. Don't let people tell you naming inanimate objects makes you a bigot, that's bonkers without context.

If I have my hammer my wife's name because it's the only way I can get nailed, then yes, that's lovely. But naming my sick Tuba Brunhilde, because she got them pipes, isn't a problem

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Understandable.
This, 100%. I've named both my cars. I have names for my stuffed animals. I've even named my breast prostheses. Humans really will pack-bond with anything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

this is a weird post.

I've met plenty of people, all genders/sexes and lackthereof, naming instruments.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can accept it, but I don't get it personally. I hate naming things, half the reason I don't have kids is so I don't have to come up with names for them!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I believe the phenomenon Modal Auxiliary describes does exist, but I am lucky enough to be able to avoid people who behave like that

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Naming your things is fine; getting mad enough about other people not immediately knowing the name and sex of your musical instrument to put a pronoun sticker on the case makes you insufferable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ravus Ursus posted:

I support this.

My call my current car Grimlock, my last car was Hope. Don't let people tell you naming inanimate objects makes you a bigot, that's bonkers without context.

If I have my hammer my wife's name because it's the only way I can get nailed, then yes, that's lovely. But naming my sick Tuba Brunhilde, because she got them pipes, isn't a problem

Your car shouldn't be Grimlock unless you drive a Truckasaurus!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Naming your things is fine; getting mad enough about other people not immediately knowing the name and sex of your musical instrument to put a pronoun sticker on the case makes you insufferable.

no fun allowed.png

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can accept it, but I don't get it personally. I hate naming things, half the reason I don't have kids is so I don't have to come up with names for them!

I've found Steve is a good name to inanimate objects that have some kind of 'nagging' function or sometimes make annoying noises because shouting "Shut the gently caress up, Steve!" seems more cathartic than other names.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
My car's named Bela, after the creator in the wheel of time series

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

To be fair, from what we've seen from Reddit threads, naming your kid can start world war III in your family.

Good line:
Reddit:

quote:

"I’m just wondering what some impartial observers think"

Wrong forum for that. This forum is for judgement.

AITA for 'stealing' from my 17 year old stepdaughter?

quote:

I 46 M have been married to my wife Amanda 41 F for 6 years. When Amanda and I met She had two children from a previous relationship Chloe 17F and Marcus 15 M. Despite their father being absent, the children have never viewed me as a parental figure which does not bother me as although I love their mother, I don't see them as my children or feel any love for them. They're good kids, just not mine.

Earlier this year Chloe expressed her desire to move out at the end of the year. I did not think she could realistically afford to move out. Her mother and I both work long hours, so Chloe leaving would mean I would most likely have to hire help or cut down my working hours as she does a lot to help out at home so her leaving would not be ideal. I handle all household expenses so In order to deter her from leaving I suggested she try paying a portion of the bills/home expenses to get an idea of what living alone will be like. Her and her mother both agreed this would be a wonderful idea and so we drew up an agreement that she would pay ¼ of the bills and household expenses and her mother and I would stop financially supporting her.

I thought this would be enough for her to change her mind however she was able to afford this comfortably. I decided to lie to her and tell her that due to inflation our bills and expenses had risen greatly and she would owe me an extra $150 a month. My hope was that even if she could still afford to pay me she would not be able to simultaneously save enough money to move out.

Recently her brother Marcus was doing a school project that required him to analyse our families electricity, gas, water etc usage. I foolishly allowed him access to my study to look over our past bills. At some stage he asked his sister to assist him in his work. When she was looking over the bills it came to her attention that I had been overcharging her for sometime. She worked out roughly how much money I overcharged her and went to her mother with this number. They are now calling me an rear end in a top hat for stealing her hard earned money and are demanding I return the money. I don't think its fair to call it hard earned when most of it is inheritance from her fathers passing. I had her best interest in mind and think i was just teaching her how the world works, so AITA?

EDIT: thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions, i will be putting the sum she estimated I overcharged her into an account and will tell her i was saving it as a surprise. Hopefully she doesn't come across this post.

A response to some common themes in the comments, i would like to make it clear i have never cleaned my home and will not be starting now. I do not like the noise of the vacuum or the smell of cleaning products. Maybe i went to far by saying i have no love for my step children. I want to make it clear that i like them they just annoy me as they're not my blood.

EDIT 2: you all need to get a life

EDIT 3: I aged down everyone for privacy reasons which was my mistake. Many people are concerned Chloe is a minor I would like to make it clear she is in fact older however still do not wish to reveal her age for anonymity’s sake

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My car is named Tony Pepperony, and that one fitting for cleaning the carbonation stones on my fermenters is named Jeff.

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018

Captain Hygiene posted:

Understandable! Names are hard! I actually don't want kids in part because I'd be saddling a whole-rear end *person* with a name that they may end up hating or might end up a bad meme. I pity all the kids named Karen just before that one took off.

I do enjoy naming things and pets, because they don't really care what you call them. So if it's cringey, it's still harmless. And I will spend hours picking a name in character creation. I'm still deciding on a name for my current car, trying to decide by Christmas.

As for the pronoun sticker itself, maybe the OP could use a "Hello my name is" sticker instead? That's a bit less confusing and more likely to be immediately understandable.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've found Steve is a good name to inanimate objects that have some kind of 'nagging' function or sometimes make annoying noises because shouting "Shut the gently caress up, Steve!" seems more cathartic than other names.

I'm pretty sure this is why servers sometimes have names. You can stab a rubber duck with a knife if you get mad enough. Server admins don't have that ability, so they have to find catharsis somewhere.

I need to remember this, you're right, Steve is a good name to curse at.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think the she/her accordion is hilarious, personally. That's exactly my sense of humour.

For the record, my car is named Jenny.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for people-watching inside a cafeteria?

Talk about burying the lede. I love people-watching, and was completely prepared to be on this guy's side over a harmless hobby, but dang this guy is just out here openly leering at young women. gently caress him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Modal Auxiliary posted:

To be fair, the accordion person is trans, so I don't think this is the issue here.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

I used to nanny for a family who named their dog Steve, this works great for living things too.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To be fair, the accordion person is trans, so I don't think this is the issue here.

That makes it even weirder imo, but I'll readily concede that the whole thing is a pretty irrational pet peeve of mine to begin with. I've just had too many interactions that start with some dude hoisting a tweed hardshell case and saying "You guys wanna meet Lucille?" and end with "I'm not a _______, but...“.

As the band goon earlier mentioned though, it's pretty context-specific and I saw it almost exclusively in blues/funk jam contexts, which I think attract a pretty traditional demo to begin with.

None of my metal and punk bandmates ever named anything, although one of my bandmates used to call my Tele "The Twang Machine" all the time.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 27, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

My car's named Bela, after the creator in the wheel of time series

Extremely powerful :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just support the poster who bolded the first few words of their post for some reason