Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Post great Treehouse of Horror quotes using smilies ITT and forget about the lowest point for a bit.

“Dad! You killed the zombie Flanders!” :aaa:

“He was a zombie?” :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

"tonight I'm going to suck!" :drac: :crossarms:

"your blood!" :drac:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Not a THoH episode, but I've always loved this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6XIYNqmkU

because it's exactly what carnival haunted house rides are like

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Oh boy, a spook house!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

"Behold, the ravages of age' has always stuck with me for being such a weird line for a lovely haunted house

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Not a THoH episode, but I've always loved this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6XIYNqmkU

because it's exactly what carnival haunted house rides are like

That little dejected "sorry" at the end gets me every time

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rewatching Dancin’ Homer, never caught before that the announcer’s excited “the Isotopes win a game!” repeated is a gag on the famous Shot Heard Round the World, “The Giants win the pennant!”

Also, Mr. Burns is charged only $2.50 for two big tubs of beer? No wonder Homer loves going to those games.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I’m not sure how the meme used to be that food/drinks were ridiculously cheap and vast at ballgames. It’s the exact opposite now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Costco and IKEA are the only places left to get cheap hotdogs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I’m not sure how the meme used to be that food/drinks were ridiculously cheap and vast at ballgames. It’s the exact opposite now

$2.50 was a day's salary in 1989

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
2? $50.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Yeah at Mariners Stadium like $20 minimum for bad chicken strips & fries. Although it is close to the international district so arriving early gets you some of the best food in the city for a fair price.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Rewatching old THoHs and Lisa's voice always stuck out to me in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5klazFOs4w

"Okegh. :fag:"
I'd love to know the story behind using that take.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It sounds mischievous.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Das Boo posted:

It was the Estonian little person impersonating her.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

$2.50 was a day's salary in 1989

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Reminiscing about the golden era is way less depressing than trying to pinpoint the lowest point.

My question: is the golden era (however you wish to define it) the best TV comedy of all time?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Das Boo posted:

This line read from You Only Move Twice has always bothered me because Nancy Cartwright clearly had a cold or something when they were recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wguuKpRJRE&t=30s

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

Reminiscing about the golden era is way less depressing than trying to pinpoint the lowest point.

My question: is the golden era (however you wish to define it) the best TV comedy of all time?

I’d argue yes, in terms of consistency & standing the test of time. It was fantastic when it aired & wouldn’t hesitate to introduce it to a new person today. In my mind the only peer is golden age King of the Hill.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Halisnacks posted:

For me, yes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

I think so. Best live action would be Always Sunny but even insanely good as that show's golden-era was The Simpsons still feels in a league of its own

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halisnacks posted:

It would certainly be in the conversation, yes.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Best animated comedy for sure but best comedy overall is a bit harder to say

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Depends if the best comedy is the best show that is a comedy or the one that is best at being a comedy, ie making you laugh. Not that classic Simpsons is lacking at all in laughs per minute, but I think it's all the other great stuff that really pushes it over into being the best show. I might be able to think of seasons of TV that made me laugh harder, I also thought of some prime Always Sunny, but I'm not sure they were wholly better shows even at their peak time.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Best TV animated comedy of all time, definitely.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
That'd be Futurama actually. I haven't seen the reboot.

EDIT: I mean the most recent one on Hulu.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Simpsons seasons 2-8 is unquestionably the best animated comedy of all time IMO and possibly the best comedy television show of all time. When people say Bob's Burgers (it's fine, but hardly ever great) or even classic Futurama is better, I do have to question how long it's been since they actually sat down and watched the good Simpsons seasons. The show has tarnished its own perception SO significantly that to me it seems most people I talk to just assume that The Simpsons has always been a low effort milquetoast comedy, and that perhaps in the 90's it was just new and exciting to watch an edgy adult cartoon. Or perhaps what they're recalling is actually like seasons 9-12 when the show was already taking a steep nosedive.

Or maybe when watching the classic episodes, it feels "same-y" and not that special. But that is because every animated show is borrowing from the comedic writing The Simpsons did first, and rarely are they doing it better.

I started re-watching from the beginning of season 2, and I don't think people should skip it in their binge watches like often suggested. It's not only interesting to see the show increasingly find its true footing as the season progresses, it's fascinating to know that a lot of these early instances of "Simpsons-style humor" in season 2 are the first time something like that was ever on TV. So maybe that perspective is important.

There's also just little touches about The Simpsons that you don't really see today, like how the overall tone shifts through the early seasons, or how it wasn't afraid to go for the heartstrings, or how it would bounce from more down to earth "real" episodes to more wacky ones. Futurama was pretty good about the latter two, admittedly.

I also think even classic Futurama doesn't hold up perfectly, whereas classic Simpsons, for the most part holds up extremely well while simultaneously being a time capsule of the 90's.

Sorry, lots of words, had lots of coffeeeee

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

it's fascinating to know that a lot of these early instances of "Simpsons-style humor" in season 2 are the first time something like that was ever on TV. So maybe that perspective is important.

Another part is that so many of the jokes from early Simpsons have become a part of culture in general, and get quoted and reappropriated in everyday life in a context outside of "this is a joke from The Simpsons." If you've heard your friend make some joke stolen from the Simpsons again and again, and then you finally watch the old Simpsons it was lifted from, The Simpsons won't get the full credit.

It's like if you like a modern band that totally ripped off an older band, but you've only heard of the newer band. You can be shown the original, but to you, the copy is still kinda the original because it's the first you learned of and the one that won you over as a fan. You can understand that someone else was the originator, but you don't automatically have that some connection and appreciation.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Khanstant posted:

I think Costco and IKEA are the only places left to get cheap hotdogs

Luv me my 2 for $2 Sheetz dogs

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Simpsons seasons 2-8 is unquestionably the best animated comedy of all time IMO and possibly the best comedy television show of all time. When people say Bob's Burgers (it's fine, but hardly ever great) or even classic Futurama is better, I do have to question how long it's been since they actually sat down and watched the good Simpsons seasons. The show has tarnished its own perception SO significantly that to me it seems most people I talk to just assume that The Simpsons has always been a low effort milquetoast comedy, and that perhaps in the 90's it was just new and exciting to watch an edgy adult cartoon. Or perhaps what they're recalling is actually like seasons 9-12 when the show was already taking a steep nosedive.

Or maybe when watching the classic episodes, it feels "same-y" and not that special. But that is because every animated show is borrowing from the comedic writing The Simpsons did first, and rarely are they doing it better.

I started re-watching from the beginning of season 2, and I don't think people should skip it in their binge watches like often suggested. It's not only interesting to see the show increasingly find its true footing as the season progresses, it's fascinating to know that a lot of these early instances of "Simpsons-style humor" in season 2 are the first time something like that was ever on TV. So maybe that perspective is important.

There's also just little touches about The Simpsons that you don't really see today, like how the overall tone shifts through the early seasons, or how it wasn't afraid to go for the heartstrings, or how it would bounce from more down to earth "real" episodes to more wacky ones. Futurama was pretty good about the latter two, admittedly.

I also think even classic Futurama doesn't hold up perfectly, whereas classic Simpsons, for the most part holds up extremely well while simultaneously being a time capsule of the 90's.

Sorry, lots of words, had lots of coffeeeee

This is a good post. I’ve never understood a need to explain including season 2 in the golden age, it belongs because it’s the same incredible quality as the others & shouldn’t be reflexively lumped in with S1 (which itself is probably stronger than most give it credit.)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

beepo posted:

Another part is that so many of the jokes from early Simpsons have become a part of culture in general, and get quoted and reappropriated in everyday life in a context outside of "this is a joke from The Simpsons." If you've heard your friend make some joke stolen from the Simpsons again and again, and then you finally watch the old Simpsons it was lifted from, The Simpsons won't get the full credit.

It's like if you like a modern band that totally ripped off an older band, but you've only heard of the newer band. You can be shown the original, but to you, the copy is still kinda the original because it's the first you learned of and the one that won you over as a fan. You can understand that someone else was the originator, but you don't automatically have that some connection and appreciation.

Definitely. In fact I was just thinking about this in regards to the Homer falling down Springfield gorge, twice gag. It's possibly the most famous scene in the entire show and everyone's seen it, so it's hard to even react much from it now. But that aired in 1990, it was mindblowingly subversive. It begins with a touching moment between Homer and Bart. First time viewers of the scene think that'll be the end, they leave and go have frosty chocolate milkshakes. And that's where any other sitcom of the era or through TV's history would have ended. But then you see Homer slowly drifting out of frame. Then you think he's actually going to make it. Then he doesn't. Then unlike a Looney Tune short, you actually see Homer brutally hitting the rocks on the way down all injured and bloody. Then instead of being safety lifted out, he's still getting injured on the way up. Then the ambulance he's placed in crashes in less than one second. Then he falls down again. At the time, nobody had ever watched a comedy skit anything like that. So much subversion of established writing tropes. So many layers packed into one minute.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This is a good post. I’ve never understood a need to explain including season 2 in the golden age, it belongs because it’s the same incredible quality as the others & shouldn’t be reflexively lumped in with S1 (which itself is probably stronger than most give it credit.)

Thank you! I agree, season 1 should be watched, but if you're trying to introduce someone to GoodSimpsons for the first time, it shouldn't be watched first or at least with a disclaimer that it doesn't really represent the show. Season 2 on the other hand is simultaneously the most "real" the show ever got, and by the 5th episode (Dancin' Homer) it already feels like what we think of as "Classic Simpsons".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I ever watched the Simpsons "when it was good". I was just a bit slow at browsing television. It's definitely inarguable that Simpsons is the most influential animated TV sitcom, but I feel like I lack the cultural context to fully appreciate it like the people who like it most.

Definitely watching TV that's on right now, I'd rather watch American Dad or something more elaborate like Lower Decks. When watching old stuff, I feel like I've seen enough of the Simpsons and would rather watch something else that I could learn more from. Maybe I've also been spoiled by how many Simpsons clips I see on the internet, so I don't really feel like sitting through a whole episode. Old theatrical shorts are pretty good for that, because if you wanna watch any, you might as well watch a whole short, it's only like 7 minutes.

In my life personally, I had a time when I watched Family Guy because people at school kept on talking about it, and then looking up the references on Wikipedia. I don't really remember enjoying it much, and now I definitely hate Family Guy and think the world is lesser for it continuing to exist.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My younger cousins love watching family guy and South Park clips while playing subways surfers on their phones I don’t think they’ve heard of the Simpsons at all

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

emSparkly posted:

Luv me my 2 for $2 Sheetz dogs

QuikTrip only recently raised the price on their griller items from 2 for $2 to 2 for $2.29 to 2 for $2.69. I still partake because they have bratwurst and chorizo dogs sometimes and they’re worth it.

I still miss paying two bucks, though.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/babylamb5/status/1719897326482030792?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bart would have a very long-running gag if he’d been strangled for thirty whole years

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sometime around the movie, maybe a few years before or after, they had a set of figures that I think were based on scenes from the show. And one was of Homer holding Bart in the air, while they strangled each other. The point of the story is I wish I still had that figure, because it's a good gag. And now I'm sad they took away what might have been the last good go-to joke in the show.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

lol, they could have done the Apu thing the exact same way and had to do their dumb hand-wringing bullshit

I'm pretty hardline about there never being a reason to hit kids but the strangling thing never seemed too problematic to me. It was always distinctly animated as over-the-top cartooniness even when the rest of the animation toned down and if I recall it's never used as anything like punishment that could be justified, it's always some sort of rage outburst that Homer is having. The messaging never seemed confused.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus didn't they phase it out like, decades ago? I thought there was a whole bit about "that horrific act of child abuse" in Behind the Laughter or thereabouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's inconsistent. I remember ones way after that where Homer gets put in an anger management therapy where an NBA star gets brought in and does it to him, which makes him too timid about it to do it to Bart. But then there's also the one where he strangles Bart, and Bart hits him with a phone while the chord is around Homer's neck. Which I think is from an episode about Marge's birthday, where Homer stuffs Bart in a rabbit's cage. So they've done much worse while bringing the joke up.