Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sloppy posted:

Which is shocking considering she's the funnest and coolest character of all.

I want a Talon sitcom where Moira is the combination Straight Man and Weird Aunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sloppy posted:

Gee, so easily solved by letting us pick what maps we want to play. I'm not rage-quitting, I just don't want to spend 20 minutes playing a boring map. This is 100% a Blizzard problem, not a my-behavior problem.

And for reference, this is in Mystery Heroes/QP, never in competitive or whatever.

Yeah, you're still absolutely screwing the game over. If you don't care, then whatever.

I've been playing since release, there are no maps worth rage quitting over. Boring games are caused by boring people. And, you are totally rage quitting by bailing on a map /game mode you don't like. Its just a different sort of rage quitting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

I've been playing since release, there are no maps worth rage quitting over. Boring games are caused by boring people.

that's cool and all but what if I don't feel like playing one particular game mode, why can't I select which modes I want to play

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Moira was released 6 years ago and she's still not featured in any cinematic.

Is there any other OW1 playable character that's not featured in at least one cinematic?
Baptiste, I suppose, and Hammond?

Are we just talking about the standalone animated shorts? Because in that case there's a ton:

Ana, Torb, Symm, Zarya, Orisa, Zen

If we don't count the in-engine cinematic trailers for stuff like the Junktown map then add

Junkrat, Roadhog, Lucio to the mix

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

that's cool and all but what if I don't feel like playing one particular game mode, why can't I select which modes I want to play

Cuz that's not how the game works? If you want dedicated modes, go play in the arcade :). Edit: which is a lovely thing to say, since its open queue and not Role queue.

Which game mode/map is it that you dislike, and why?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 27, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think an option for qp where you select out of certain game modes or maps seems like a totally reasonable thing to implement

but also quitting out bc you dont like a map is absolutely bitchmade behaviour and i think you should just uninstall bc this game is clearly giving you a net negative of happiness

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Are we just talking about the standalone animated shorts? Because in that case there's a ton:

Ana, Torb, Symm, Zarya, Orisa, Zen

If we don't count the in-engine cinematic trailers for stuff like the Junktown map then add

Junkrat, Roadhog, Lucio to the mix

Zarya is featured in the "infiltration" short.
Junkrat and Roadhoag are in the "Wastelander" short.

You're right about the other ones though. I'm surprised that Lucio was never in one either.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rawrbomb posted:

Cuz that's not how the game works? If you want dedicated modes, go play in the arcade :). Edit: which is a lovely thing to say, since its open queue and not Role queue.

Which game mode/map is it that you dislike, and why?

I know you're quoting him, but I am playing in Arcade. I mostly just quit on Push maps because they're all terrible, everything else is fine or fine enough.

And again, this is an instant quit as soon as I see the loading screen, not like mid-match. Plenty of time for someone else to fill in. I can count on one hand the number of times I've quit during the game, usually when the rest of my team is emoting in spawn or something similar.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i think an option for qp where you select out of certain game modes or maps seems like a totally reasonable thing to implement

but also quitting out bc you dont like a map is absolutely bitchmade behaviour and i think you should just uninstall bc this game is clearly giving you a net negative of happiness

Playing maps that suck gives net negative of happiness. The game overall makes me very happy or I wouldn't be spending time bitching in the thread instead of working lol

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Bummer that custom game modes give limited XP. They could easily create a custom game mode without push maps in the rotation and find similarly minded folks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sloppy posted:

And again, this is an instant quit as soon as I see the loading screen, not like mid-match. Plenty of time for someone else to fill in. I can count on one hand the number of times I've quit during the game, usually when the rest of my team is emoting in spawn or something similar.

Matchmaking already sucks in normal circumstances, how's it supposed to get any better when the system has to desperately backfill as fast as possible, probably at the expense of someone who clearly doesn't belong in that game?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

isndl posted:

Matchmaking already sucks in normal circumstances, how's it supposed to get any better when the system has to desperately backfill as fast as possible, probably at the expense of someone who clearly doesn't belong in that game?

Yes, the backfill MMR is very different than the normal match fill. It feels like it tries to give an advantage (higher skill level) more often than not.

I've been placed into games, where I was clearly a few tiers over my team/nme team. Like, because I'm playing phara and NO ONE IS LOOKING UP.

I've also been filled into games where it was stupidly clear I was under performing compared to the team.

Sloppy posted:

I know you're quoting him, but I am playing in Arcade. I mostly just quit on Push maps because they're all terrible, everything else is fine or fine enough.

What's wrong with push? Its control that you don't have to change map rounds on. I have some ideas as to why you might dislike it, but I don't find it terrible in the least.

Sloppy posted:

You are still screwing that game over, sorry. Again, if you are fine with it than you'll need to suck up the penalties.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i for one am a push map enjoyer, it seems to reward brawly rein comps more than other modes and i relish it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the point of having a randomized map queue with penalties for leaving is that it forces everyone to buy in to the maps they hate for the opportunity to play the maps they like. OW2 players aren't monolithic: there's going to be some people who really love the maps you really dislike and vice versa, and the only way to ensure that everyone gets to have their faves is to average it out via a common pool

people always say that they'd gladly wait a longer time to only play their favorite X, whether that's map, character, or mode, and they're always eventually driven away once the queues start hitting 10+ minutes

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Rawrbomb posted:

What's wrong with push? Its control that you don't have to change map rounds on. I have some ideas as to why you might dislike it, but I don't find it terrible in the least.

They're too open and sprawling, and it feels like you spend way more time running back from spawn than in other maps. They could just do a 30% shrink on all of them and it would be a huge improvement.

I also dislike how if teams are balanced you just move the robot back and forth in the middle until the time runs out (versus the more sequential stuff like 2CP which almost feels like multiple maps - you never see the starting spawn once you've capped, etc). I suppose you could make the same argument against maps like Illios but the maps are so much smaller you can get back in the fun in seconds so its less annoying.

Edit: vvvv Yes, I miss the poo poo out of those maps too.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vermain posted:

the point of having a randomized map queue with penalties for leaving is that it forces everyone to buy in to the maps they hate for the opportunity to play the maps they like. OW2 players aren't monolithic: there's going to be some people who really love the maps you really dislike and vice versa, and the only way to ensure that everyone gets to have their faves is to average it out via a common pool

people always say that they'd gladly wait a longer time to only play their favorite X, whether that's map, character, or mode, and they're always eventually driven away once the queues start hitting 10+ minutes

I am probably some weird outlier, but there was never really a map I disliked. I also mostly enjoyed 2CP 99% of the time too, so I was really sad to see Horizon and Paris gone. They were beautiful, if not weird maps to play on for all of the various reasons.

I am very happy the days of 5-10 minute queues from the end of OW1's life are mostly gone, outside of higher rated comp games.

Sloppy posted:

They're too open and sprawling, and it feels like you spend way more time running back from spawn than in other maps. They could just do a 30% shrink on all of them and it would be a huge improvement.

I also dislike how if teams are balanced you just move the robot back and forth in the middle until the time runs out (versus the more sequential stuff like 2CP which almost feels like multiple maps - you never see the starting spawn once you've capped, etc). I suppose you could make the same argument against maps like Illios but the maps are so much smaller you can get back in the fun in seconds so its less annoying.

So, my first thought was on the mark, that you dislike the runbacks. There are a ton of alternative routes, and you need to learn them to get back to the point/team faster. The runbacks shouldn't be much longer _most_ of the time than any other game mode. Of course if you choose the absolute worst path to return to your team/the fight, it would not feel great. I still see tons of players taking bad paths in push games. Blizz for sure should try to help with the alt routes based on the robot position for the guidelines.

Edit: It doesn't help you basically have to understand where the push robot is, in the map, and where the team is moving it to, to hit the right intercept point. There is also some odd counter play with how you should engage from a game play pov.

I think Flashpoint did a better job of a dynamic match. No two flashpoint matches feel directly alike, where as Push certainly can.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 27, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

Cuz that's not how the game works?

Yeah no poo poo, that's why I would like it changed.

Mostly I don't like flashpoint, but sometimes I'm just like "hey I'd like to play Kings Row" and I can't just do that

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The full Le SSeraphim video is out and I guess it's fine? I like my pop a bit punchier so idkig. skins look pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLvWy2b857I

I guess the OW characters are all on their way to see the septuagenarian members of Le Sserafim perform a reunion show? Or maybe they continue on performing as Tupac style holograms.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
They really need to nerf Doom into unuseability so that every QP game isn't Doom v Doom.

Barely even feels like you're playing OW at that point and getting stun-killed by Doom is one of the lamer ways to die.

And it's very rare to get actually even match-ups, like you often do with Rein mirrors, for example.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Eh, he's undeniably strong but has his counters like anyone else. For DPS, Sombra and Cass can make his life miserable or you can go for off-angle picks in Doom's backline to deny him resources etc. Brig and Ana play well into him as Support; Brig's shield bash causes the mutual stun when it collides with a rocket punch and he can't block sleep darts. It's also really easy to sleep him off his ult. For tanks, lol, roadhog actually works really well

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

novaSphere posted:

Eh, he's undeniably strong but has his counters like anyone else. For DPS, Sombra and Cass can make his life miserable or you can go for off-angle picks in Doom's backline to deny him resources etc. Brig and Ana play well into him as Support; Brig's shield bash causes the mutual stun when it collides with a rocket punch and he can't block sleep darts. It's also really easy to sleep him off his ult. For tanks, lol, roadhog actually works really well

I don't think he's overpowered I'm just tired of him being in every single match. People only play him because he's more of a 3rd dps than a tank and nobody wants to tank.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ah yeah, he's way overrepresented for sure. If it's not Doomfist it's probably JQ, and then Sigma if a sniper map.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The full Le SSeraphim video is out and I guess it's fine? I like my pop a bit punchier so idkig. skins look pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLvWy2b857I

This is fine I guess but it's notable how much weaker it is than the League K/DA stuff.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
Was hoping they had added a bunch of QoL updates to this game, but they still haven't. Why do defense players not just spawn on the first capture point on Payload maps? Why make late joiners run all the way from the far spawn at the start of the game? All that does is hamstring players if they don't IMMEDIATELY pick a character. Defense should just spawn on the first point at the start of the game, how stupid that it isn't like that.

Also mapchat: you shouldn't be forced to play maps you don't like, or map TYPES you don't like. If the community all likes Payload, then let them play Payload. It genuinely feels like a chore to play maps you don't like just to get to the ones you do, which ultimately leads to people just not wanting to queue.

So many bone headed decisions in this game that actively chase away players.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Javik the Seer posted:

So many bone headed decisions in this game that actively chase away players.

They're playing catch-up with TF2, a 16-year-old game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the diablo themed haloween event is actually kind of fun except its also super annoying bc it very clearly uses character upgrades that were desigked for the original ow2 pve content and its a bummer that probably all we are going to get to show for that is some very not replayable event stuff

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

the diablo themed haloween event is actually kind of fun except its also super annoying bc it very clearly uses character upgrades that were desigked for the original ow2 pve content and its a bummer that probably all we are going to get to show for that is some very not replayable event stuff

Well of course it's not very replayable, it's probably gonna get taken out when the event ends :v:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Javik the Seer posted:

Was hoping they had added a bunch of QoL updates to this game, but they still haven't. Why do defense players not just spawn on the first capture point on Payload maps? Why make late joiners run all the way from the far spawn at the start of the game? All that does is hamstring players if they don't IMMEDIATELY pick a character. Defense should just spawn on the first point at the start of the game, how stupid that it isn't like that.

Part of me feels like this is designed to help you learn the map flow. Though, I think their starting spawn pre game is too far away for most maps. But it does help you understand how far away from the fight you're going to be most often. It does suck for late fillers, but ideally the game didn't start that way. Remember, all games more or less emulate comp, which would make these changes all but useless there.

Javik the Seer posted:

Also mapchat: you shouldn't be forced to play maps you don't like, or map TYPES you don't like. If the community all likes Payload, then let them play Payload. It genuinely feels like a chore to play maps you don't like just to get to the ones you do, which ultimately leads to people just not wanting to queue.

I cannot see how this does anything but destroy queue times for most players. The game has always been a rotation of game modes and maps for these queues (QP, Comp). There are game specific queues in arcade, but those also come with arcade rules (open queue, or other specific scenarios).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Agreed, playing maps you hate kind of sucks but I think if they let everyone pick what maps they were willing to play you would get appalling queue times for everything but the one map people have decided is good/they have advantage on (if this exists) and you could never play anything else if you wanted <30 minutes of waiting.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

Part of me feels like this is designed to help you learn the map flow. Though, I think their starting spawn pre game is too far away for most maps. But it does help you understand how far away from the fight you're going to be most often. It does suck for late fillers, but ideally the game didn't start that way. Remember, all games more or less emulate comp, which would make these changes all but useless there.

I cannot see how this does anything but destroy queue times for most players. The game has always been a rotation of game modes and maps for these queues (QP, Comp). There are game specific queues in arcade, but those also come with arcade rules (open queue, or other specific scenarios).

How would it be more useless in comp? If you're having a team discussion on who to be, you have to slam pick it pretty quick or you're just automatically late to the fight. That should never be the case. They have the little directional lines that show you which way the map goes. There is no need to spawn at the initial spawn on defense in any game mode. Think Junkertown, even if you pick before the timer is up, you're not getting to the fight for a good 15 seconds. Its really stupid. Games are won or lost on this alone and I can't believe it even launched that way.

And as for queue times, who cares. Its less fun for me and probably my team mates if im stuck in a map mode i dislike, am not interested in, or as that other poster mentioned, if I end up quitting. Let us either vote on maps, or select a preferred game type so we can play what we WANt to play not what we HAVE to play.

The argument about queue times seems a bit short sighted. If you have a longer queue time and you really wanna play, you'll add more maps or game modes to the queue you want to play. If you don't care about queue times, you'll stick around. People that want to get into a game quickly will get into a game quickly.

Javik the Seer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 30, 2023

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Javik the Seer posted:

How would it be more useless in comp? If you're having a team discussion on who to be, you have to slam pick it pretty quick or you're just automatically late to the fight. That should never be the case. They have the little directional lines that show you which way the map goes. There is no need to spawn at the initial spawn on defense in any game mode. Think Junkertown, even if you pick before the timer is up, you're not getting to the fight for a good 15 seconds. Its really stupid. Games are won or lost on this alone and I can't believe it even launched that way.

Unless you have an atrocious computer, you get time to pick a character before you spawn in. This is normally where you'd chat up about comp, before the map is open to you. Then you still have 30-40 seconds post character pick to navigate around the map and get familiar with it.

Javik the Seer posted:

And as for queue times, who cares. Its less fun for me and probably my team mates if im stuck in a map mode i dislike, am not interested in, or as that other poster mentioned, if I end up quitting. Let us either vote on maps, or select a preferred game type so we can play what we WANt to play not what we HAVE to play.

You are cool to wait 30 minutes for a 5 minute game? So 2 games per hour? Queue times matter, most people ain't gonna wait more than 5-10 minutes for a game, if that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let me at least ban a limited selection of maps.

I wouldn't want to see Illios or loving New Queen Street ever again.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i get hating new queen st even though i like it but im gonna need some more info on why you dont like ilios bc ive never heard anyone say a single bad thing about it before

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Rawrbomb posted:

Unless you have an atrocious computer, you get time to pick a character before you spawn in. This is normally where you'd chat up about comp, before the map is open to you. Then you still have 30-40 seconds post character pick to navigate around the map and get familiar with it.

You are cool to wait 30 minutes for a 5 minute game? So 2 games per hour? Queue times matter, most people ain't gonna wait more than 5-10 minutes for a game, if that.

Even if you were right about 30-40 seconds, which you aren't, it isn't that much time, its literally half that time spent running in straight lines to the front lines. LIterally half the set up time is spent running to the fight up front. That is ridiculous and could easily be changed by having folks get spawned right on the point or have some kind of speed buff pre-match that ends 3 seconds before the fight. So many solutions that make the gaming experience better in this threads last few pages that this small indie company just can't handle.

Jack Trades posted:

Let me at least ban a limited selection of maps.

I wouldn't want to see Illios or loving New Queen Street ever again.

And yeah, at least let me ban certain game modes or maps. I never want to play flashpoint again. Ever and I shouldn't be penalized for getting it and not wanting to play it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i get hating new queen st even though i like it but im gonna need some more info on why you dont like ilios bc ive never heard anyone say a single bad thing about it before

I hate instakill deathpits and Illios has the worst ones.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Javik the Seer posted:

And yeah, at least let me ban certain game modes or maps. I never want to play flashpoint again. Ever and I shouldn't be penalized for getting it and not wanting to play it.

:hmmyes:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Javik the Seer posted:

Even if you were right about 30-40 seconds, which you aren't, it isn't that much time, its literally half that time spent running in straight lines to the front lines. LIterally half the set up time is spent running to the fight up front. That is ridiculous and could easily be changed by having folks get spawned right on the point or have some kind of speed buff pre-match that ends 3 seconds before the fight. So many solutions that make the gaming experience better in this threads last few pages that this small indie company just can't handle.

You literatly get 30 seconds to pick a character, BEFORE you can spawn into the map. What about my statement is incorrect?

Javik the Seer posted:

What's wrong with flashpoint exactly?

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 30, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

What's wrong with flashpoint exactly?

I just don't like playing it and I'd like the option not to.

Anyway, trailer for the Le SSeraphim mode dropped, 3v3 capture the flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryDEYgjkjw

lol you can earn a Junkrat legendary, I assume all the other skins will be a million OW bux

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anyway, trailer for the Le SSeraphim mode dropped, 3v3 capture the flag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryDEYgjkjw

lol you can earn a Junkrat legendary, I assume all the other skins will be a million OW bux

Lmao so if I want the K-Pop Stan skins they advertised, I'd have to buy them.

... how does Junkrat's look tho

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

I don't understand why you'd enjoy overwatch in the general, but dislike Flashpoint of all things. Can you expand on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Kiriko and Sombra skins are the best, that Junkrat skin is one of the worst skins in the entire game holy poo poo. Overwatch 2 constantly trying to clean Junkrat up is hosed up