Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ponsonby Britt posted:

This is probably a reference to Edgar Bergen, a ventriloquist, and his wooden costar Charlie McCarthy, who were one of the most popular shows on radio at this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_McCarthy

My dad has been getting into old-time radio recently and showed me that poo poo and it's stunning. They gave a ventriloquist a radio show! It boggles the mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

Return to the days where you could get poo poo like this in the mail for 30 bucks

Back then, that was like the price of a house.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ponsonby Britt posted:

This is probably a reference to Edgar Bergen, a ventriloquist, and his wooden costar Charlie McCarthy, who were one of the most popular shows on radio at this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_McCarthy

Easiest loving job in show business.

“Wow, I didn’t see his lips move at all!” - guy sitting at home in front of the radio

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TwoPair posted:

My dad has been getting into old-time radio recently and showed me that poo poo and it's stunning. They gave a ventriloquist a radio show! It boggles the mind

They did it more than once!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Uncanny Avengers #3

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Everybody else sees it too right?

:eyepop:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This time Greg Horn Land has gone too far

edit: god drat it, I'm never going to get that right

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a good go but it doesn't have the class of the 'the beer is wolverine's erection' cover.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

It's a good go but it doesn't have the class of the 'the beer is wolverine's erection' cover.

The one where Nightcrawler is obviously naked, but it somehow got past editorial?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Incredible Hulk #129 (1970)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Darthemed posted:

The Incredible Hulk #129 (1970)

Sam Sterns? Please tell me that the origin of The Leader is that he got mad after Bruce turned into the Hulk in his truck

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Snackmar posted:

Sam Sterns? Please tell me that the origin of The Leader is that he got mad after Bruce turned into the Hulk in his truck

This is actually part of a bizarre scheme by the Leader to get info on the Hulk, because his Sam Sterns personality doesn't know he's the Leader, so he primes his unsuspecting human alter ego to go to the Hulk's last known location and make friends with him to find out his weaknesses, so he'll know them when he turns back into the Leader.

(This is from memory. I think this story also features the return of a swamp monster called the Glob that Hulk fought-but-liked years ago, who the Leader resurrects on learning that the Hulk liked it?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glitchwraith posted:

The one where Nightcrawler is obviously naked, but it somehow got past editorial?

Greg Rucka posted:

"Also please note the placement of the beer bottle.

I once was at a show where I asked Esad about this cover.

Esad is a big, cheerful, man with a wicked sense of humor.

He just looked at me.

And then he smiled.

And the smile got bigger.

And bigger.

And he said, "And nobody at Marvel noticed!"

And then he couldn't stop laughing."

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
That’s one of my favorite comic creator stories

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Something something Lupin Sansei

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #39 (1945)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Haruka Reset - Chapter 3

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/TakeThatDarwin/status/1718458427502981321

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It makes sense if this guys like a reverse ron paul libertarian where he thinks golds useless and he all about that fiat.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'd guess it's omly a temporary transformation, or the gold explodes or something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why would the police care? Other than trying to steal it themselves that is.

"Oh no somebody put gold trashcans on the sidewalk, now the trashmen are gonna throw out their backs!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cash is king, baby

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Someone in the comments pointed out that it was illegal for Americans to own most gold at the time, so this makes perfect sense. The gold would have been near impossible to sell, so using it as an indirect means to get cash is a sensible strategy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Someone in the comments pointed out that it was illegal for Americans to own most gold at the time, so this makes perfect sense. The gold would have been near impossible to sell, so using it as an indirect means to get cash is a sensible strategy.

You know another thing that was illegal at the time? Robbing banks!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Why would the police care?

I am no sociologist but I'm reasonably sure that huge amounts of gold just popping up all over the place would cause some unrest, on account of everybody trying to take it for themselves, by force if necessary. The police is kinda obligated to stop such things.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grendels Dad posted:

I am no sociologist but I'm reasonably sure that huge amounts of gold just popping up all over the place would cause some unrest, on account of everybody trying to take it for themselves, by force if necessary. The police is kinda obligated to stop such things.

Fun fact, the police are not legally obligated to help anybody at any time!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Fun fact, the police are not legally obligated to help anybody at any time!

They very, very frequently don't do it, but they actually are legally obligated to protect people in their custody. Legally speaking (though they fail at this legal obligation all the god damned time) cops are required to keep you safe if they've arrested you. Again, this legal obligation is violated all the time with little to no repercussions, but it does exist in case law and has been upheld by the supreme court.

Basically it just makes it easier for your family to sue the city or state after cops murder you while you're wearing handcuffs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Air Skwirl posted:

They very, very frequently don't do it, but they actually are legally obligated to protect people in their custody. Legally speaking (though they fail at this legal obligation all the god damned time) cops are required to keep you safe if they've arrested you. Again, this legal obligation is violated all the time with little to no repercussions, but it does exist in case law and has been upheld by the supreme court.

Basically it just makes it easier for your family to sue the city or state after cops murder you while you're wearing handcuffs.

But they don’t have to put anyone into custody, in which case they have no obligation to do anything.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay but what about gold trashcans

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

site posted:

Okay but what about gold trashcans

They’re allowed as road jewelry

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Secrets #52 (1962)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Okay, I was talking out of my rear end and I also don't live in the USA, I have no idea what your hosed-up police system is required to do when a massively valuable item just shows up in public. Shoot everybody, would have been my guess following the regular news, but I might have been distracted by the time the story was set in when I made my last post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Okay, I was talking out of my rear end and I also don't live in the USA, I have no idea what your hosed-up police system is required to do when a massively valuable item just shows up in public. Shoot everybody, would have been my guess following the regular news, but I might have been distracted by the time the story was set in when I made my last post.

Old timey media tends to portray cops as generally nice, so your theory makes sense. It's just that cops have been sued because like, they didn't arrest a man after he called his ex-girlfriend or estranged wife or whatever saying "I'm going to kill you with the knife I bought when we went camping" like incredibly specific threats that would terrify anyone, and then they carry out that threat. And then the courts said "ehh, cops don't actually have a legal responsibility to protect anyone from anything, except prisoners in their custody."

It's just cops also don't follow that rule either, It was either this year or last cops left a person in the backseat of their car parked on train tracks and it got hit by a loving train. I think the person survived but who the gently caress parks on train tracks, even if there's no one or any item of value inside the car?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Air Skwirl posted:

Old timey media tends to portray cops as generally nice, so your theory makes sense. It's just that cops have been sued because like, they didn't arrest a man after he called his ex-girlfriend or estranged wife or whatever saying "I'm going to kill you with the knife I bought when we went camping" like incredibly specific threats that would terrify anyone, and then they carry out that threat. And then the courts said "ehh, cops don't actually have a legal responsibility to protect anyone from anything, except prisoners in their custody."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_of_Castle_Rock_v._Gonzales- "Court ruled, 7–2, that a town and its police department could not be sued under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 for failing to enforce a restraining order, which had led to the murders of a woman's three children by her estranged husband."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeShaney_v._Winnebago_County- "The court held that a state government agency's failure to prevent child abuse by a custodial parent [which had been reported by hospitals and social workers] does not violate the child's right to liberty for the purposes of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia- "[DC Court of Appeals] held that the police do not owe a specific duty to provide police services to specific citizens based on the public duty doctrine[, even if you call 911 and say 'help this is a home invasion']."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksim_Gelman_stabbing_spree#Lozito_v._New_York_City- "Joseph Lozito, who was brutally stabbed and "grievously wounded, deeply slashed around the head and neck", sued police for negligence in failing to render assistance to him as he was being attacked by Gelman.Lozito told reporters that he decided to file the lawsuit after allegedly learning from "a grand-jury member" that NYPD officer Terrance Howell testified that he hid from Gelman before and while Lozito was being attacked because Howell thought Gelman had a gun. In response to the suit, attorneys for the City of New York argued that police had no duty to protect Lozito or any other person from Gelman."

In conclusion,

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darthemed posted:

House of Secrets #52 (1962)

I think that would have worked whether the alien wore glasses or not, buddy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

In conclusion,

Am I right in assuming that this video game was not conceptualized in the US and is fairly old? So yeah, put that one up on me not being up to date with even the faintest idea of what the police in the USA is supposed to do. Makes me wonder what Batman's relationship to them even is now, like, does Gordon even still exist?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Grendels Dad posted:

Am I right in assuming that this video game was not conceptualized in the US and is fairly old? So yeah, put that one up on me not being up to date with even the faintest idea of what the police in the USA is supposed to do. Makes me wonder what Batman's relationship to them even is now, like, does Gordon even still exist?

That's Streets of Rage, which originally came out in '91 from Sega, so right on both counts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm pretty sure Gordon is still around and still a decent guy, and a good number of GCPD are decent cops, because it's fiction. One of Batman's closest friends is an invincible alien who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes, why wouldn't cops be semi competent and caring in that universe, not any more ridiculous than having a shape shifting Martian and a guy who can talk to fish as your coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure Gordon is still around and still a decent guy, and a good number of GCPD are decent cops, because it's fiction. One of Batman's closest friends is an invincible alien who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes, why wouldn't cops be semi competent and caring in that universe, not any more ridiculous than having a shape shifting Martian and a guy who can talk to fish as your coworkers.

Right, so what was different about that in 1958?