Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Maybe modern wrestlers would be as good as Flair if they were required to take out loans they could never repay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

I hadn't heard that before but it's completely unsurprising. Vince's secret philosophy seems to be "How dare these guys get over."

"You have, you know, this is a different group of guys, and gals…its millennials. You know, they’re not as ambitious, quite frankly, and they’re not trepidatious at all. I just don’t think they want to reach for that brass ring. "

*wrestler gets over on their own initiative*

"NO NOT LIKE THAT, DAMNIT"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe modern wrestlers would be as good as Flair if they were required to take out loans they could never repay.

How is that one insurance salesman from the article not doing life in prison

Angry_Ed posted:

"You have, you know, this is a different group of guys, and gals…its millennials. You know, they’re not as ambitious, quite frankly, and they’re not trepidatious at all. I just don’t think they want to reach for that brass ring. "

*wrestler gets over on their own initiative*

"NO NOT LIKE THAT, DAMNIT"

Isn't that exactly what happened with Zack Ryder?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 27, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1080293/ric-flair-finance-was-one-of-the-nature-boys-more-ridiculous-endeavors/

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

Flair would find out that his business model was "completely illegal"

You think that's something you would check BEFORE opening said business.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

God he is so cool

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
he is one of the greatest carnies to have ever lived

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he is one of the greatest carnies to have ever lived

He is my favorite wrestler.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Mr Hootington posted:

He is my favorite wrestler.

mine too...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
i will not be eating any of his wings... dont want to become indebted to him

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

It's very funny that the worst Awesome/Tanaka match was too good for WWE.

Did Vince's dad hate the wrestling part of his show as much as his son does?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SISHqfcrQdk

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The episode where flair popped a few of these was nuts.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
a "few"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shard posted:

Did Vince's dad hate the wrestling part of his show as much as his son does?

I mean the WWWF wasn't exactly known as a workers territory, but he didn't have the same weird shame of making his money from wrestling that Junior has.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
vince sr believed that the promoters should stay off tv and focus on the business side of wrestling and maybe he was right

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Dawgstar posted:

That's one of the impressive things about Sting. He actually didn't go nuts with ATM Eric's money and he's doing all this stuff now just because he wants to. Boss Man and John Tenta are two others I've heard made sure that their families were taken care of, which unfortunately proved wise after their passing.

Then there's Ric. Like even if you've heard 'Ric is bad with money' it's far worse than you can imagine. His autobiography is mostly "I spent too much and made my wife leave me and brother I felt bad but whooo I did it again."

I like the story about how Sting was known in his local gym, not as famous WCW wrestler, but as "real estate Steve".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Steve "Steve" Borden

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

He wore face paint how could anyone know who he is

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

I mean the WWWF wasn't exactly known as a workers territory, but he didn't have the same weird shame of making his money from wrestling that Junior has.

Yeah. Vince Jr. by all accounts was a saint compared to his son. Like if he wanted your top guy in a program with his champ at the Garden, that person would go because that was a huge payday nobody else could match but Vince would sweeten the deal by giving you more time with Andre to pop your territory.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

The episode where flair popped a few of these was nuts.

That hair is goddamned glorious.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 27, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Jesse Ventura tells the story that you could be mad as hell about something, storm into Vince Sr.'s office, and he could smooth talk you so thoroughly that you'd walk out in a great mood, feeling like the champ, and then five minutes later you'd realize he didn't give you anything you wanted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Vince Jr. by all accounts was a saint compared to his son.

Wow Shane is more evil than I knew.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

haljordan posted:

I wonder how many checks Paul E. bounced during his time running ECW.

I hope all his checks cleared for each Awesome/Tanaka match because those dudes absolutely put each other through hell each time.

Also kudos to Tanaka for being able to get pretty drat shredded for awhile in his 40s after sporting a dad bod for most of his US time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
thinking about earthquake getting really into the shark gimmick and painfully changing his LSU tiger tattoo into a shark and then the gimmick was dropped immediately after

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Between that and the problems that tattoo caused in Sumo the lesson of John Tenta's life is 'John Tenta should not get tattoos'

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

haljordan posted:

Isn't that exactly what happened with Zack Ryder?

More or less but it's also something that's no doubt happened to countless others.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Zach Ryder is the poster boy of 'punished for getting over'
So much so that afterwards they stopped telling workers to reach for the brass ring (at least according to Cordona).

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
If it's true that WWE was mad at Awesome and Tanaka (which wouldn't be surprising), they were probably even more annoyed that Eddie and Benoit had a really disappointing match on that same show, since they had effectively claimed those two as "WWE guys". Eddie just looked exhausted. :(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
DDP just posted this to reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/s/RRTOdl1bJe

He hadn't heard how much Macho respected him until today

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Lid posted:

DDP just posted this to reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/s/RRTOdl1bJe

He hadn't heard how much Macho respected him until today

Two of my all time favorites, what a great find! The comment DDP left was great too. I love DDP so much.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Steve "Steve" Borden

All-time great dirtsheet typo

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
IT'S STEEEEEEEVE!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thinking about earthquake getting really into the shark gimmick and painfully changing his LSU tiger tattoo into a shark and then the gimmick was dropped immediately after
It's insane to me that he didn't lose the tattoo for sumo, but he did it for WCW.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I posted it in another thread but since it came up here's the quote from DDP on that reddit in case you don't want to click

level 1
RealDDP
OP
·
1 hr. ago
Mach didn't say things like this to ANYONE...not because he was a dick or anything, he was just that old school introverted closed off type that kept to himself and left everything bottled up inside. The closest thing I had to him opening up, was the hug he gave me for leaving him a voicemail on Thanksgiving telling him I was thankful for him in my life. This video resurfaced just in time for the anniversary of Halloween Havoc 1997, the final match in the feud of Randy “Macho Man” Savage vs DDP… The other day I was thinking, Man I wish Randy did at least one shoot style interview talking about our 1997 PWI feud of the year. Mach didn’t do any sit down interviews that were shoot style. Then my buddy Sean found this interview. Turns out to be from the WCW Superstar Series. A collection of VHS tapes WCW put out in 1998. There were so many wrestling vhs tapes being made then, I never would have seen just a random bio tape. It's pretty wild to hear these powerful words posthumously from one of my heroes who helped make my career. RIP Randy. DDP

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can’t read Sting’s real name without hearing the Deadlock boys doing their Rock impression

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I was like "Who is this random upvoted Redditor talking about their personal relationship with Savage?" halfway through that comment before I realized... Oh!

It's him! It's him! It's Dim Dim Pim.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The comments noting that won PWI Feud of the Year over Austin v The Hart Foundation has me feeling things. Greatly conflicted things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Wow Shane is more evil than I knew.

No good man would throw punches like that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

The comments noting that won PWI Feud of the Year over Austin v The Hart Foundation has me feeling things. Greatly conflicted things.

the ddp/savage feud was easily my favorite thing happening in wcw at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I wonder if DDP is still hangin' and bangin' at the beach.