Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Sure. I'm just skeptical that it would matter enough to enough people to meaningfully hurt her overall popularity. Especially once you take the gameplay side into account.
her gameplay side is fairly middling so unless you are all in on jing yuan it feels like a case where it is mostly personal affection for the character that is going to tip the scales.

im not saying shes going to be a massively unpopular stain on the game, just that she isnt gonna do as well as jingliu's banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Genovera posted:

Nah, I like her more than Kafka and Jingliu.

Maybe this is a weird habit of mine, but I tend to assume by default that my own personal favorites mean nothing to a character's popularity. Who the hell are these people that always vote the bland main character to #1?!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

her gameplay side is fairly middling so unless you are all in on jing yuan it feels like a case where it is mostly personal affection for the character that is going to tip the scales.

im not saying shes going to be a massively unpopular stain on the game, just that she isnt gonna do as well as jingliu's banner.
Hell, I'm not gonna roll on her. I won't be sad if I blunder into her looking for Guinaifen, but that's about as far as it goes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eh I think her damage is fine. The latest showcase with the new set is having her do 100k+ damage per enhanced numby FUA on a dude thats not particularly good at doing speed runs. I've also seen empowered clara hitting for 100k on her enhanced counter attacks thanks to her support. Its enough damage to get you by any content of the game plus it lets you do groups that are not fully supported yet.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Endorph posted:

Gameplay wise, I'm getting her as a partner for Clara. I think they'll work well together, buffing each other while Clara covers Topaz's lack of AOE and Topaz helps Clara with single target. Also I'd like to have a fire DPS since I don't have one yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The only fire dps in the game right now are Hook and Himeko anyway.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's not enough fire

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LMAO early 5*, its hunt, Yanqing again! Well next time he shows up its at least a E4

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Managed to get Guinaifen and Sushang twice each in 30 rolls, so I got pretty lucky with the banner.
Does the new DoT dps set next patch require DoTs on enemies or debuffs in general? I assume it's the former, but I've seen conflicting accounts and now I'm confused.
Entanglement and Freeze do not count as DoTs, correct?

Kanos posted:

I feel somewhat punished because I like the weird mechanics characters who enable and support weird team setups so I went hard on Kafka and I'm going hard on Topaz and I skipped all three of the monstrously overpowered destruction trio. :v:

I'm worse than that.
Skipped Jing Yuan and Seele, went for Silverwolf and Luocha. Ignored Blade, Kafka and Dan Heng in order to get Fu Xuan. No interest in Jingliu and Topaz.
Saving up for Huo Huo right now.

Kafka seems somewhat interesting admittedly, but aside from that, the dps characters in this game have been a bit boring.

On the upside, Pitch Dark Hook the Great has gotten pretty strong because she's my only destruction character and they keep throwing destruction trace materials at me in events.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh Seele is back too

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Good luck with yalls pulls

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Got the new four star on first pity, that's good enough. Maybe next time, Topaz, but daddy needs robot... daddy

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I got Topaz! It took 50 loving pulls, but she's mine!

Also got Asta e3, Guinaifen e1, and a fourth copy of Luocha's 4 star cone.

I only need to save 13 pulls to guarantee Clara.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

drat her LC looks pretty good....

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

lol, i got another himeko. somehow dont think ill get lucky and pull topaz immediately after like i did with jingliu. i like huohuo a lot more after the recent rework so maybe ill just get her instead.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
my luck with this game in comparison to genshin is pretty dang good, despite the starter banner giving me bailu (still use her though.)

lost jingliu’s 50/50 on welt, and i love welt very much, he hasn’t left my party once. still got jingliu in the end and an e6 sampo/qq. standard banner pity gave me bronya. 35 pulls for topaz got me her, some guinaifens and some lukas — literally everything i wanted out of the banner. drawback is not having any materials to get folks leveled good

since i didn’t play until ps5 dropped, i don’t have blade, jing yuan or the cooler dan heng though. little salty about that. saving my first time top-up bonuses praying for reruns

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Is speed a either get to 134 or nothing kind of thing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Is the new 4* just a don’t bother if you don’t have kekfa character

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I used up all my luck on this game I think. I had just enough jade for just over 100 pulls. Considering I had a double 5* my last banner that saw me 'lose' the 50/50 after getting Jingliu and Welt in a single pull, I felt pretty good to snag Topaz. Whelp, at 60 pulls in I hit her twice. Great! I looked at the store and saw I was about 50 or so starlight from Something Irreplaceable, a cone I need for Clara as I am pretty light on good cones AND that's pretty much who I need to run with my new unit, I figured I'd hope to get a couple repeat 4*s to help me get the LC and sit back for the next couple of banners.

Soooo, two pulls in I hit Topaz again. I have her at E2. I guess I'm a Topaz main now?

In any case, I am prepared to lose the next handful of 50/50's.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

For Fu Xuan, I went Fu->Gepard->Fu->Fu

I feel topaz isn’t gonna be as kind

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Izzhov posted:

I just read the Prydwen review, which said that Topaz hypercarry is "not recommended."

Then I go look at the Prydwen build guide, which glowingly recommends Topaz hypercarry. Infuriating stuff lol

This is especially dumb if you compare their own damage calculations. Topaz E0 does more single-target damage within their simulation rules (408k) than Seele E1 (374k) or Blade E4 (401k). Hell, their calculations have her higher than Jingliu E0 (384k) in single-target situations. She's terrible at cleaning up bunches of weak enemies, so she wants a Destruction or Erudition character with her for MoC, but that's hardly a strike against her IMO.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Zurai posted:

This is especially dumb if you compare their own damage calculations. Topaz E0 does more single-target damage within their simulation rules (408k) than Seele E1 (374k) or Blade E4 (401k). Hell, their calculations have her higher than Jingliu E0 (384k) in single-target situations. She's terrible at cleaning up bunches of weak enemies, so she wants a Destruction or Erudition character with her for MoC, but that's hardly a strike against her IMO.

well, all of those characters have excellent blast damage in addition to single-target

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

E1 capitalist girl in 20 pulls :frogc00l:

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
My 5* luck finally ran out - I got Topaz but lost a 50/50 to E1 Yanqing in the process, and burned through my entire jade stash. I also ended up with E6 Sushang, E4 Luka and E3 Guin.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jesus christ on toast is this how much fun Seele havers have been having since release??????

It never ever ever stops being her turn, this rules so much

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I had to light my entire stock on fire and do 166 pulls to manage a single Topaz at the tail end of a failed 50/50(which gave me E3 Bailu, for gently caress's sake), and in all of those pulls I only got 2 Guinaifens but *11* copies of Luka, who was already E4 before the pulls began.

This is an extremely loving cursed gacha day. :smithicide:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
got my numby 😎

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

FractalSandwich posted:

See, I wouldn't have thought the average Star Rail player would find the capitalist shtick noteworthy. I'd have thought it's only in almost-exclusively-English-speaking leftist circles online that it would be seen as polarizing in any way. And outside of that, the rest of her personality and her entire character design seem like they'd be the one with more mass appeal to me. She's softer and cuter with only a bit of an edge, where Jingliu is nothing but edge.

Jingliu is more interesting to me personally, but I wouldn't have thought that's typical. I dunno. Maybe Gen Z have better taste than I give them credit for.

I mean that's not a Twitter or recent phenomenon at all, characters who are weird or flawed or unconventional are generally going to be less popular than characters who are straight up badasses. She might be written well but nobody fantasizes about being a Space Capitalist.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

How is topaz’s energy situation? 130 is pretty up there

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

mycot posted:

I mean that's not a Twitter or recent phenomenon at all, characters who are weird or flawed or unconventional are generally going to be less popular than characters who are straight up badasses. She might be written well but nobody fantasizes about being a Space Capitalist.

Like about every space sim has you living the dream of being a space capitalist eventually

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

GateOfD posted:

How is topaz’s energy situation? 130 is pretty up there

One of her major traces regenerates 20 energy each time she uses her ult, so it's not as bad as it looks. She still needs to be hit or get kills to be able to use her ult within three turns, though, I think.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat elation path with with clara and topaz is fun. Having topaz wipe a dude out and then numby doing a follow attack killing another dude, then the enemy attacks clara and gets owned by her counter attack and numby following up.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

GateOfD posted:

Is speed a either get to 134 or nothing kind of thing

In general? 120 speed on top of SSS/fleet relic activations will get you a double turn on cycle 2 and should you get that far cycle 7. (134 speed is double turn on cycles 1, 4, and 7). The next important break point which is relatively attainable for some characters is 143+ which gets you a double turn on cycles 1, 3, and 6.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

I had to light my entire stock on fire and do 166 pulls to manage a single Topaz at the tail end of a failed 50/50(which gave me E3 Bailu, for gently caress's sake), and in all of those pulls I only got 2 Guinaifens but *11* copies of Luka, who was already E4 before the pulls began.

This is an extremely loving cursed gacha day. :smithicide:

I also got like 6 copies of Luka (who was already E6) and only 1 Gwen, but at least I won the 50-50 on Topaz.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just lost my I think 5th or 6th straight 50/50 in a row (woo Himeko E0), but at least I finally got a 75/25 after missing my last 3 at least

On the plus side, for the first time I've pulled a 5-star in this game, I happened to have a full collection of ideally main statted and acceptably substatted best-in-slot relics for Topaz without having to grind.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 27, 2023

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Got Stonks Girl in 40 pulls (taking me to soft pity), as well as Guinaifen and e1 for Luka.

Too bad my relics suck!

Now to decide who to use my selector on (Luka or Pela e), and if I should buy an e from the shop this month. Any hot tips? I already have all released 4*s.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

drat, this event is hard for me. Kept missing the last points tier by a hair, until I reset the whole thing and I ended up doing it but with less blessings??? And it gets pretty hard to aim for a path when you're showered in items for the other paths.

No stonks pig, but it's fine.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I will rolpazfor guinerveve

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

100k points on the final.

Just. Throw. Tiles. At. The. Problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU