Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

If you replaced Alice with Hesse on every podcast she's on it would at least double the quality of every single one of them.

truer words have never been spoken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Do anarchists have the thing that libertarians have (IMO) where they are 100% confident that they'll be on the safe side of the breakdown of social structure/fabric, or do anarchists just not care where they end up in that exchange

Yes, just go to the anarchist thread and ask about fish camp

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
tendency antagonism is cringe

if you hate capitalism and want worker control of the means of production then we're on the same side, doesn't matter how you want to get there

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

if you hate capitalism and want worker control of the means of production then we're on the same side, doesn't matter how you want to get there

Anachists don't want that though, its why they sabotage everyone who attempts do that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

"I watched a good movie" - a normal guy

"I saw a fantastic film" - a guy who sucks, using both the pretentious words for "movie" and "good"

Sometimes you need to say film if you're writing a couple paragraphs and saying movie too many times would be awkward.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dmitri-9 posted:

Surprised that no one brought up the inspiration of Hellraiser. Clive Barker was a bouncer at an underground S&M club and they had a piercing theme night. "It was the first time I ever saw people pierced for fun" A little too extreme even for him.

I'm just gonna say it. Hellraiser would've been a better movie if that club had done a fisting night instead.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I'm just gonna say it. Hellraiser would've been a better movie if that club had done a fisting night instead.

The Caligula director worked that night

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fr0id posted:

whomever brought up will frequently saying hesse’s name because he’s a chaser is a gross joke; I think he’s just wanting to be conscious and affirming of her identity so he goes out of his way to use her name. Sure that could be related to trans anxiety and not just treating someone equally, but I don’t think it’s him being a chaser.
I brought up the repetition as I wondered why and joked it was a Dale Carnegie move. Someone else responded with that other joke. What you say makes a lot of sense though.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Starting to confuse Dale Carnegie with David Carradine. Not advisable!

selec
Sep 6, 2003

you can also just say “saw a good one last night. that red October one. real good.”

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Don't watch movies, watch Pantheon (2022)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Connery makes sense because Russian and Scottish accents are closer than you realize

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

This is definitely not the case, because someone can be "opposed to capitalism" and still end up with an ideology that involves opposition to actual communist states. Such a person is effectively pro-American, regardless of what they might claim to believe.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Arch-reactionary Monarchists are often anti-capitalist as well, in that they view feudalism as a pure and just system that has been unjustly torn asunder by capitalism. You can find similar perspectives among certain strains of religious fundamentalist as well.

Anti-capitalism is not the only bar you have to clear to be on "my side".

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Gripweed posted:

Bill Friedkin was on the door that day.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I was talking in a discord about how I'm glad that Exorcist III has gotten this good reevaluation, cause I remember the 90s and early 2000s it was considered bad, and someone called it the most up its own rear end catholic movies they had ever seen

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I was talking in a discord about how I'm glad that Exorcist III has gotten this good reevaluation, cause I remember the 90s and early 2000s it was considered bad, and someone called it the most up its own rear end catholic movies they had ever seen
To be fair every Catholic movie is about being up someone’s rear end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Durf posted:

the last Guys ep on rockabillies with Brace Belden is pretty good

have to admit I took some soul damage when Brace claimed Nick Cave was Psychobilly and sounds 'exactly' like The Monster Mash

yeah this was good

i like bryan but chris is not interesting or funny

OBAMNA PHONE has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Oct 27, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
who has time for movies

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

yeah this was good

i like bryan but chris is not interesting or funny

I like that Chris always seems amused and surprised that he’s still on the show.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i like Movie Mindset and I like the movies they pick

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

durrrrr

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shipon posted:

truer words have never been spoken

It's not saying much as you could replace Alice with a 4KHz tone and still come out ahead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

actually the most important part of leftism is fighting over tendencies (or as i like to call them, tendies)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the second most impprtant part of leftism is podcasting

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

That's it I'm going to become a postmodern anarcho-marxist

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

That's it I'm going to become a postmodern anarcho-marxist

turn off your monitor

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Don't watch movies, watch Pantheon (2022)

watched season 1 and libs cannot come up with conflict other than "china ruins this because they are just so small minded and hostile!" see also Arrival (2016), one of the worst movies ever made

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nanomashoes posted:

see also Arrival (2016), one of the worst movies ever made
lmao i completely forgot that was a plot point

i was too distracted by the lovely tiring qq-ing husband divorcey thing that dominated the whole movie to even notice that. likewise did not care for annihlation despite some pretty graphics

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways I like Dennis Villenueve a lot, probably my favorite actively-working contemporary big hollywoo guy, so i liked the visuals and soundtrack to the movie still. it's insane to call it one of the worst movies ever made when.... *waves hand at last 20 years of movies*

but muh divorced hubby :qq: or variations on that has to be one of my least favorite plot-points

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nanomashoes posted:

watched season 1 and libs cannot come up with conflict other than "china ruins this because they are just so small minded and hostile!" see also Arrival (2016), one of the worst movies ever made

lol

quote:

When Banks is able to establish sufficient shared vocabulary to ask why the aliens have come, they answer with a statement that could be translated as "offer weapon". China interprets this as "use weapon", prompting them to break off communications, and other nations follow. Banks argues that the symbol interpreted as "weapon" can be more abstractly related to the concepts of "means" or "tool"; China's translation likely results from interacting with the aliens using mahjong, a highly competitive game.

China's General Shang issues an ultimatum to his local alien craft, demanding that it leave China within 24 hours. Russia, Pakistan, and Sudan follow suit; communications between the international research teams are terminated as worldwide panic sets in.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Nanomashoes posted:

In season 2 amerikkka is the bad guy

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It’s been a while since I saw Arrival but I thought the primary conflict being a communication barrier was pretty neat.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Xaris posted:

anyways I like Dennis Villenueve a lot, probably my favorite actively-working contemporary big hollywoo guy, so i liked the visuals and soundtrack to the movie still. it's insane to call it one of the worst movies ever made when.... *waves hand at last 20 years of movies*

but muh divorced hubby :qq: or variations on that has to be one of my least favorite plot-points

I had a worse time at arrival than any marvel film

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Xaris posted:

i normally like dennis but that movie is godawful it takes place in dum dum world

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It’s been a while since I saw Arrival but I thought the primary conflict being a communication barrier was pretty neat.

my man you need to try anime

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
iirc i turned off arrival when the perfidious chinese showed up

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Space Camp fuckup posted:

[frustrated sigh] Darmok! Darmok! [pantomiming shoving a landlord into a river]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

i normally like dennis but that movie is godawful it takes place in dum dum world

yeah no arguments there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Gripweed posted:

my man you need to try anime

No