Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I remember seeing a pic of a Battlefield 3 tattoo and how absolutely cringe that was. And Battlefield 3 was a good game, hell, it was functional!

Jesus wept (and then bought an Idris according to the Gospel of Chris).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

At least it's a very basic symbol that doesn't look too bad on its own. If SC didn't exist it'd look Okay and people would probably assume it's a Star Trek or maybe a BSG thing. It'd be way sadder if it was less generic and thus more obviously tied to a dumb grift.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah the design itself isn’t bad honestly.

I’m not into tattoos myself but the idea of inking a corporate brand on your body strikes me as sad.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

This is what confused me about the whole thing. Server meshing doesn't magically teleport the data you need around, in the end data still has to end up at each client.

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Time works the same way.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/friKY0p.mp4

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It is somewhat surprising the tattoo doesn't have the words, just the logo. They usually seem t go together, don't think I've ever seen the logo on its own. As it stands, it's far too large and looks misaligned though.

Not that I am wanting to criticise, but I would hope that protein, exercise, grooming and vitamin D would be far further up the to-do list than lovely tattoos.

Item #1 is Buy Another Idris of course.

Never not be buying another Idris.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah the design itself isn’t bad honestly.

I’m not into tattoos myself but the idea of inking a corporate brand on your body strikes me as sad.

That is a major thing that keeps me from ever getting a tattoo. (Aside from the cost, which I would always want to put toward crap like books and video games first.) Almost any symbol or image I can think of, I can't guarantee I'll feel enough passion for in five years to want to mark it on my body permanently now. Especially if it's an image strongly associated with a company or IP because woo imagine making a permanent mark of brand loyalty.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have an Oblivion rune tattoo I got when I was 19, it's on the inside of my lip and I never see it so I forget it's even there unless the topic of tattoos comes up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

disposablewords posted:

That is a major thing that keeps me from ever getting a tattoo. (Aside from the cost, which I would always want to put toward crap like books and video games first.) Almost any symbol or image I can think of, I can't guarantee I'll feel enough passion for in five years to want to mark it on my body permanently now. Especially if it's an image strongly associated with a company or IP because woo imagine making a permanent mark of brand loyalty.

I'd get words for sure, but I feel the same about images or symbols.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
thing is, even if they get 'server meshing' (this deserves scare quotes because the name is so dumb) working, it's going to be insanely buggy. moreso than usual because now you're dealing with distributed systems bugs. you can almost certainly expect dupe bugs like crazy, for example. i'm guessing there would also be some cheeky poo poo you could do to abuse the mechanics of "spinning down servers when not needed", which I realize now is pointless to speculate on because it'll never happen or the bugs will be even worse than I can imagine here.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
No it’s fine, I once read an article about stateless cloud application architecture it will totally work for a video game

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

We have all had online shooters glitch out with lag

You shoot a guy on your screen

On his screen he’s around the corner watching you fill the wall with lead

And on his screen he calmly walks over and taps you in the dome while you’re staring at a ghost that won’t die

This is server meshing

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I have the eye from Neverwinter Nights on the shoulder. Sure beats an infinity symbol or tribal pattern #5432.

Plus the day I die after a leopard eats my face, that'll make it easier to identify my body.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

The scenario as envisioned by CI¬G and the citizens is this:

You have a grandiose space battle with 5 Idrises, each with 50 people on board. Obviously, a single server can't handle all 250 players + 5 super-customised ships at once, so let's mesh'em-up! One server each for the idrises, only dealing with 50 people — easy peasy — and one server dealing with the space combat — also easy.

This conceptually (and even practically) works.

…except…

…then you start extrapolating what this means for the players involved, and the reasons why you even bother with the exercise to begin with.
The pilots must see the combat they're engaging in. They must therefore be present in the space combat server as well, in parallel, and anything that happens to them in one place must happen to them in the other. Conversely, the ships themselves must obviously be present in their respective shards as well as in the space combat, so that when they take hits, this is reflected inside the ship so people can run around and extinguish fires and change fuses and use repair guns and so on

And this holds true for gunners shooting into that battle, and anyone looking out the window — and why would you even bother if you can't even look out the window as see the space battle? So suddenly, the situation has shifted: 5 servers dealing with 50 players + 5 super-customised idrises each; 1 server dealing with the same super-customised idrises plus, oh let's say, 50 pilots, gunners, windowlickers, all of which needs to be duplicated (or sextuplicated) everywhere instantly, in real-time. We started out with 250 players and 5 ships not fitting into one server; we now have 300 players and 30 ships that need to be juggled by 6 servers… unless we actually want to see those other players, and not just the ships, when we look out of the window. After all, we're supposed to be able to fire from one meshed server across another and hit a player into a third. So all those players at the windows need to present in all servers. So… 5× 50+50 player + 5 ships for the internals; 5 ships + 50 players for the space combat; a total of 550 player and 30 ship instances to juggle.

But wait! Wasn't the appeal that you could seamlessly move from one ship to another and do boarding action with inevitable consequences? And that server meshing was supposed to make that possible? Well…

Two crews decide to board eachother, and everyone jumps out into the space combat. It must now deal with 5 ships, 30 crew still in their ships, 100 people floating in space shooting at each other, and of course, those 30 crew looking out at that mess must now get the information about those players. The situation is that each ship server has to deal with: 5 ships (2 of which are just floating, admittedly), 50 crew onboard, 100 crew outside the window. 750 player instances and 30 ship instances in total over 6 six servers, most of which are just copies of each other and need to be synced everywhere. We can't spin down the empty ships because the whole point is that they're about to be boarded any second now…

To effect the dream outcome of using server meshing to overcome the limits of a single server, we are rapidly approaching a scenario where we have 6 servers, each of which has to deal with the very situation we deemed impossible and which required the meshing to happen to begin with. We've increased the workload by 500% to arrive at the same place where we started, with nothing gained (other than at the Amazon billing department).

The only way for server meshing to work is to remove the very scenario it is meant to enable: sorry, you are not allowed to exit the ship or even look out the window — instance is full. Pool is closed. Keep repair-gunning that fuse box.

You just spin off another server instance whenever a player interacts directly with a player from another... gimme a moment i got this

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Fidelitious posted:

This is what confused me about the whole thing. Server meshing doesn't magically teleport the data you need around, in the end data still has to end up at each client.
The separate servers for different areas is fine when the areas they're handling are far enough apart that there are basically zero interactions between them, but once things are in interactable range you absolutely must have them on the same server or you're duplicating a bunch of communication and adding latency for no benefit. The intelligent scaling down of how much data is being sent between clients (full physics data for explosion vs. "this thing blew up") can still be done on the same server so no need for meshing there.

Dynamic servers is fine for your basic 'zones' where they can scale based on population or whatever, but there's a reason Eve uses TiDi for huge battles. And SC can't use that in a real-time FPS shooter context.

I guess Chris thinks he can defeat the laws of physics.

I feel like the only real benefit of server meshing is that it can dynamically cull what it is sending to some people (the person isn't looking over there, so don't send the data. although that doesn't work if everything is supposed to be persistant) OR it's supposed to magically fix some issue of a server having to do physics processing or whatever and tries to improve that by doing simulation on a server and simulation over there on a different server. Then the other servers still serve state to the connected clients but they are just reading the data from whatever source they have. Like maybe that gets around things like EVE Online having to do time dilation.

The issue is that it would require them to be able to dynamically segment things infinitely based on how many players are in that space.

In EVE Online, through PLEX players can determine a real world value on ships, so we know that a huge space battle literally cost players the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In Star Citizen, through having to pay for dynamically spinning infinite "server meshes", a huge space battle is going to cost CIG hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Good plan.

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 27, 2023

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
No one is thinking like a 1990s Games Gru, who "wrote" single player, off-line games.

Is it likely there's a bottleneck with CPU performance ?

Therefore to increase player cap, just add more CPUs.

I don't care if you have to get the new servers to talk to each other, just make it work.

(edit)
If I saw that tattoo, and didn't know about Star Citizen, I'd just assume he was a White Supremacist.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 27, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Every entity should get it's own server

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Renfield posted:

If I saw that tattoo, and didn't know about Star Citizen, I'd just assume he was a White Supremacist.

It's not unsafe to assume that anyway.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Somewhere is the Star Citizen logo in a office setting with Crobear in it.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Renfield posted:

No one is thinking like a 1990s Games Gru, who "wrote" single player, off-line games.

At the risk of sounding like a Stephen King novel, can we not just increase EMM and I'll hotmail you my LAN via fax over my 386? #christalk

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Pixelate posted:

So the demo parped a bit...

quote:

There's a 'green authority' pico in the purple server.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jIaH_0ylCw&t=22s

quote:

* On the red server view a 'green' Pico gets shot into the streamed-out purple server (and falls down into the abyss).
* On the green server view it doesn't move at all.
* Another player then shoots the unmoved green Pico into the wall. On the green server this is fine.
* On the red server it teleports out of the abyss back to its original location so it can get shot into the wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UstOWL_oes

:trustme:

Seriously thread, watch that last video

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Not sure what the boffins in this thread are talking about but I'm basically concluding that graph theory needs to catch up with Chris's vision.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
New Golgot100 short video showing the mesh bugs from the presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLlREqobgj0

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

JammyB posted:

New Golgot100 short video showing the mesh bugs from the presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLlREqobgj0

Are they stealing their SFX from Q*Bert now?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
You have to buy the cons goodie pack and be a member of concierge to get access to the alpha content steam that includes pyro.

Pyro is a closed system with only pyro because meshing doesn’t work yet.

Reports are that Pyro itself is unfinished and has three stations, and doesn’t look as good or the same as the demo at the con.

There’s always more it’s always worse.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is one of the worlds in pyro at least a world that is always on fire (Oceans of lava would be close enough)? I feel like for a star system called pyro you need to have that at the very least.

I mean there is always the sun, but all star systems have at least one of those, so that doesn't count.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

Is one of the worlds in pyro at least a world that is always on fire (Oceans of lava would be close enough)? I feel like for a star system called pyro you need to have that at the very least.

I mean there is always the sun, but all star systems have at least one of those, so that doesn't count.

Mmmm, let's see... nope! but there is an *ICE* planet

quote:

Pyro I is a charred black rock that is slowly discorporating into the system's star. There is little of interest here;

Monox (Pyro II) is a coreless planet that will, in time, fall into its star. ... for all practical purposes the world had become an empty husk. The planet is named for the abundant Carbon Monoxide in its atmosphere. :laffo:

Bloom (Pyro III) is an icy terrestrial world with a breathable oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere. It is known as a haven for outlaws.

Pyro IV A rocky protoplanet that has been mined clean.

Pyro V is a massive yellow and green gas giant that's slowly pulling Pyro IV into its orbit.

Terminnus (Pyro VI) -This protoplanet suffers little damage from Pyro's distant star. The outermost planet in the Pyro system, this subdwarf would be unremarkable if it were not the home of Ruin Station.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Here's your new star system, nearly everything in it is a lifeless barren chunk of rock. It took us literal years to bring it to you.

I mean, yeah that's space, but in your space adventure game one would expect some content to do and/or see on your planets.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I fully believe in Chris Roberts' ability to deliver twice as many barren empty landscapes as in Starfield

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bandaid.friend posted:

I fully believe in Chris Roberts' ability to deliver twice as many barren empty landscapes as in Starfield

How? He took 10 years delivering what, 5? And starfield is 900 ahead.

trucutru posted:

Mmmm, let's see... nope! but there is an *ICE* planet

:psyduck: planets don't "fall" into stars, nothing falls into anything in space, they fall around each other for eternity.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Xakura posted:

How? He took 10 years delivering what, 5? And starfield is 900 ahead.

Haven't you heard the story of the tortoise and the hare? Sure in this case the Hares already won and the tortoise is wandering in the other direction, but you know what they say, can't lose a foot race without breaking a few eggs!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Are there moons in either the current star system or pyro

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
I wonder how SQ42 animations are gonna compare against this:

https://www.eurogamer.net/gta-6-has-patented-a-new-locomotion-system-to-make-highly-dynamic-and-realistic-animations

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CI¬G were very proud that they managed to replicate invent a never-done-before inverse kinematic system that just barely matched with what was used in Shadow of the Colosssus (2005). How it will stand up to a game that is released 20 years later is… a foregone conclusion.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

GTA6 fits in a single crater though and boy does SC have craters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rockstar should release their cities for other people to import into their games. Same for any game with big cities. Devs simply will never have time to make all the cities a world needs, so best start building up a stock of cities ready to go

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how the negotiations between CIG and Rockstar are going to license Starcloth.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Star Citizen is supposed to have, what, 95 fully fleshed out star systems at launch?

They have two. And that's being generous.

In over 10 years, they have two of 95.

You know what, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that their 'pipelines' will save them a metric poo poo ton of time (that's 10 metric rear end-loads), and from today forward they can fully complete 1 system every month. Design, implementation, content, unique NPCs, unique cities on unique planets with unique biospheres. Everything they promised.

That's still over 7 years JUST to get the star systems they promised. At 1 a month. When they've not even completed these two in over 10 years.

And people thought Starfield was empty.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
That tattoo actually sucks not because of the design but that it's applied skewed, so it's just never going to look right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

akkristor posted:

Star Citizen is supposed to have, what, 95 fully fleshed out star systems at launch?

They have two. And that's being generous.

In over 10 years, they have two of 95.

You know what, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that their 'pipelines' will save them a metric poo poo ton of time (that's 10 metric rear end-loads), and from today forward they can fully complete 1 system every month. Design, implementation, content, unique NPCs, unique cities on unique planets with unique biospheres. Everything they promised.

That's still over 7 years JUST to get the star systems they promised. At 1 a month. When they've not even completed these two in over 10 years.

And people thought Starfield was empty.

Starfield was so bad I'm actually 100% confident that whatever they have in-game in Star Citizen right now is less insufferable than what is in Starfield. If Star Citizen lets you wander outside of a 2km square then it already surpasses Starfield' planetary generation. Star Citizen seemed like the biggest joke in space games and then Bethesda was like "lemme speedrun this trainwreck"