Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Skarsnik posted:

You can just choose 'use a schedule' in the bedtime mode screen

:doh: The multiple routes to setting up everything up meant I missed that it was possible. Looks like exactly what I needed - I just had to find the right screen. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I also like the additional option of bedtime mode schedule + "while charging". That makes it so that if I go to bed late the screen doesn't shut off until I put it on my bedside charger. And if I get up early, bedtime mode switches off automatically when I pull it off the charger.

The only minor downside is if you happen to be staying up late and charge your phone, the screen will shut off. But it also pops up an option to pause bedtime mode, so it's not a huge hassle.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anyone else having problems with Prime Video? It's just stopped loading entirely on my phone (TCL 20 Pro 5g)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My BBC News app updated yesterday and it's removed the widget capability. Assuming it's a permanent removal, does anyone have a recommendation for another news app that has a decent widget?

Also, what's the best music app that will respond to voice commands?

Anyone? Bueller?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Anyone else having problems with Prime Video? It's just stopped loading entirely on my phone (TCL 20 Pro 5g)

Recently Amazon did enough changes to things that I had to finally update Amazon music and video after 3 years.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
So I managed to fry my Chromecast's remote. For now I have a Bluetooth 8BitDo controller handling the navigation duties while I wait for the replacement remote to arrive.

Is there any way natively (or any app I can install on the Chromecast) for me to remap one of the unused controller buttons to what was Home on the Chromecast remote? It's really the only thing that seems missing, but the experience is hurting without it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Google tv app can be paired as a remote. At least that's what the app is called in my region.

E: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/11221499?hl=en

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It can -- it's what I've been using for a while now, since the remote went through the washer and dryer -- but it's clunky and loses connection quite often.

The physical D-pad and buttons just feel better to me, but I miss that one button.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Edit: Posting this in the main thread as it's more fitting there

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
you know how itunes has built-in capability to manage a music library, playlists and music storage on iphones? is there a similar app for a windows pc and android phone?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 17, 2023

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't give you any specific pros or cons, but I hear MediaMonkey is the go-to these days for 'manage my MP3s without setting up my own self-hosted streaming service'.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's what I use. Can't really say how it is for new users, I've been using them for like 15 years at this point. If you go this route, jump on the Beta app for Android. It's better than old app, though being a beta, I've had weird issues from time to time (usually get fixed ASAP). And for some reason there's a shuffle button on every screen that I had to learn to avoid.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If you already have stuff in iTunes, I've been using iSyncr for as long as it has been out. Works great and will even back up photos and the like if you want it to.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Uthor posted:

And for some reason there's a shuffle button on every screen
Oh man sold.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

minusX posted:

Oh man sold.

I only play full albums and keep it all lined up in a queue, which the randomize button destroys. I wish it shuffled the albums, not the tracks!

The one mp3 player I ever owned, before smartphones, had a random album button and I've been missing it for like 15 years at this point.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Uthor posted:

I only play full albums and keep it all lined up in a queue, which the randomize button destroys. I wish it shuffled the albums, not the tracks!

The one mp3 player I ever owned, before smartphones, had a random album button and I've been missing it for like 15 years at this point.
Yeah I get wanting to do albums but I often like shuffling. But ALSO the random album button would be a huge thing that's also cool when I am in the Album mood. Ask the devs?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Ever since upgrading my Pixel 7 to Android 14, I get a little ringtone-like sound whenever I start or end a call. My phone is set to silent, media volume is at zero, and dial pad tones are off.

How do I get rid of these?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

spincube posted:

Couldn't give you any specific pros or cons, but I hear MediaMonkey is the go-to these days for 'manage my MP3s without setting up my own self-hosted streaming service'.
MusicBee is basically this, but free. With MM you have to pay for their own licensed encoders for certain formats (MB lets you just point it at the freeware versions, i.e. LAME, Quicktime, FLAC et al) and otherwise for multi-core encoding, volume analysis, proper (accurate) CD ripping etc.
MusicBee also has tabbed-browsing which whilst not the paradigm shift that it was in web browsers, is really functional and you'll get used to having different tabs open for searches, a playlist, artist page, etc.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The YouTube app updated and now videos that don't fill the screen have this stupid loving effect on the pillar and letter boxes. I'm using a 21:9 Sony phone, so most stuff on YouTube doesn't fill the screen. Anyone know of a way to disable this?

Edit: Just found it. It's not in the app's appearance settings like it should be, but it's in the settings menu available on a video and then under "additional settings." It's called "ambient mode," and just toggles off.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 24, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Branch Nvidian posted:

YouTube app sucking

Use Newpipe, stop using the YouTube app.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Inceltown posted:

Use Newpipe, stop using the YouTube app.

it's even got sponsor block! no reason not to use newpipe

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

hark posted:

it's even got sponsor block! no reason not to use newpipe

But does newpipe have youtube messenger?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Or use ReVanced.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

deong posted:

But does newpipe have youtube messenger?

what the gently caress is YouTube messenger?!:dafuq:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

hark posted:

what the gently caress is YouTube messenger?!:dafuq:

Were you not part of the beta for it before Google killed it?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

One time I got really drunk and started messaging my friends via Google Pay. They were confused.

Google is a strange company.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

My mom seems to be a savant in finding all the various Google messaging nooks and crannies. I was very surprised to see texts from her in my Google Photos app.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Messaging in Google Photos is actually a handy way to share batches of photos with people without the hassle of making or adding to an album. It allows them to view in full resolution and one-button save them all to their own photos (or selectively choose ones to do so) with all meta data in tact. I prefer receiving photos that way because they drop into my own album at the correct date and time, and without any quality loss.

We use it all the time for dumping photos to my mom or our friends after a weekend gathering or group camping or whatever.

Having said that, we don't use it as a messenger, exactly. Very little text exchanged.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Resonance22 posted:

My mom seems to be a savant in finding all the various Google messaging nooks and crannies. I was very surprised to see texts from her in my Google Photos app.

My father did this a few years ago, and I think this was the moment something switched in my brain and went "What the gently caress is google doing".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The google photos one is legit though

Send picture of cat doing dumb poo poo to partner, get a 'aw he's a good boy' response back, job done

It's very unlikely you'd ever need to save that conversation or whatever so a basic commentary on the photo you shared is handy

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Is there a way to strikethrough on keep notes? Its a good app for todo lists but I can't cross my items out. Any recs for a similar app that can do this? Evernote seems commercial and bloated, I want something basic

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Feral Integral posted:

Is there a way to strikethrough on keep notes? Its a good app for todo lists but I can't cross my items out. Any recs for a similar app that can do this? Evernote seems commercial and bloated, I want something basic

You can "add checkboxes" to make something a proper to do list. Check the options at the bottom of the screen as you are making a new note.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
using Textra, and when I get texts from people, there's a weird string of characters at the end of the message. at first I thought it was someone sending me a message with that in it, but then I got it from a few different people who don't know each other. anyone dealt with this before?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

hark posted:

using Textra, and when I get texts from people, there's a weird string of characters at the end of the message. at first I thought it was someone sending me a message with that in it, but then I got it from a few different people who don't know each other. anyone dealt with this before?

apparently this isn't just textra, but also on my Google messages app....hmm

very curious what the hell this is. and I don't know how to search for an answer.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Are they texting from Android or iPhones. I remember something like this being an issue a long, long time ago. Something about iMessage accidentally adding character strings to text messages that weren’t going to other iMessage users.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is this the issue you're having?

https://support.google.com/fi/thread/127088241?sjid=15301498564969749370-EU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

wow very strange....this is the exact issue I'm having. I went to see if my fi app was running (I also have Google Fi) only to find that the app had been entirely disabled, and I had to enable it. I definitely didn't do that myself, so it's very odd. I'll see if turning that app back on fixes the issue though. Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

hark posted:

wow very strange....this is the exact issue I'm having. I went to see if my fi app was running (I also have Google Fi) only to find that the app had been entirely disabled, and I had to enable it. I definitely didn't do that myself, so it's very odd. I'll see if turning that app back on fixes the issue though. Thanks!

On my Pixel, apps that I don't use end up getting disabled automatically by Android.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

re: disabled apps, I continually find that some transit app I only use 4 times a year has been long disabled, and now needs to be updated before I can use it again. Oh, and I'm on a train so good luck me.
Whilst disabling apps is pretty desirable the play store hasn't been updated to give an option to keep these apps up to date.
Fortunately Aurora - itself available through APK or F-droid - will update these for you. It'll help you avoid this fate as well as being a better front end for some types of app browsing and management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's my experience that only Samsung prevents lesser used apps from.updating.