Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pvt. Parts posted:

Questioning facts, statistics, etc. and getting to the truth is hallowed ground and should have unlimited clemency, no matter the supposed "intention", real or perceived. Truth, what actually happened as a matter of reality, is really all we have to unite discussion no matter the topic and is a valid intent in and of itself. Consider how much time and energy is spent with regards to figuring out what has actually happened with respect to any major event, let alone it's ramifications.

This argument is so laughably bad and is essentially the heart of Holocaust denialism

When you start ranking otherwise reputable sources so you can "just ask" unreasonable questions you're not helping the discussion in any way

Sometimes you can't objectively prove something and have to take all the available evidence to it's logical conclusion without coming up with elaborate scenarios to disprove the available evidence

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I called them doing this day 1. They had absolutely no need to enter with a ground force until they had turned most of the city into ruins. They have complete air superiority and can observe all of Gaza at all times to do artillery/airstrikes at whatever the hell they want - which is what they've been doing for weeks now. There are videos of them just looking at Hamas rocket batteries from the sky in perfect clear HD video and then counter-striking the rocket batteries before they're even done with their salvo.

The next step will be to slowly move ground troops in but really only to use them to lure whatever is left of Hamas out in the open so they can be ground to dust by more artillery and airstrikes. Though it's hard to tell how much of Hamas is left at this point because I never got a good idea of how many militants they had in the first place

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/kakasloi/status/1717940644973326631

Things have hugely escalated over the past hour :(

Is this the beginning of a ground assault. Taking down comms, carpet bombing to soften them up ahead of troops moving in

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They've announced that they're "expanding their ground operations", although it's not clear if that means they're sending in the full invasion yet.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Marenghi posted:

Is this the beginning of a ground assault. Taking down comms, carpet bombing to soften them up ahead of troops moving in

IDF made a statement that they were "expanding the ground operation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUkGS0f2Z5Q

So this is the start of something, and by the scale of the bombardment I'd say most likely the main operation. Though it might still be slower than expected since no one knows exactly what will happen as more troops enter combat, so the IDF will constantly be adjusting as events unfold.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This is the beginning of their demise.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If it's the main operation it looks like Netanyahu isn't listening to Biden's request for more time to deliver more defense military equipment along with the UNs request for some kind of temporary cease fire to deliver additional aid to Gaza.

But I am not surprised.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1717934385352048766

Hmm, maybe Iran are really the bad guys here :thunk:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Stringent posted:

So there's two stories of Hamas conducting executions near the hospital, but the original clam was,

So I was hoping for more sourcing on that.

That's a pretty big coincidence of why Hamas would use that location to take care of political dissidents

And maybe another coincidence of why Shifa happened to be the location of an improvised broadcast studio by Al Jazeera when interviewing Hamas' spokesmen Mushir al-Masri

So, yea, while it's impossible to 100% prove that it's the HQ, it seems extremely likely that it is. Or at least was up until at least 2014.

E: Removed stuff about the health minister, that was stupid of me, sorry

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 27, 2023

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I took stay in the same building for a decade while I am regularly bombed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This was my thought at first but we are talking about different hospitals. There's al-Ahli Arab Hospital that they claim they didn't bomb, and al-Shifa Hospital that they're saying is on top of a Hamas base.

that's the one with 40,000 civilians sheltering in it

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Once Israel finishes this project, and 2 million people have been killed or exiled from the Gaza strip, do you think that the presence of a Hamas super secret base (shown here in extremely believable and not just made up high tech 3d render) under a hospital that was levelled by Israeli bombs, is going to move the needle very much? like, oh yeah dang I totally would have thought this was a genocide but it turns out there was a Hamas super secret base under every man woman and child in the entire territory, so the indiscriminate slaughter of countless civilians was actually a prudent and reserved move by the only democracy in the middle east.

Also, it makes no sense that Hamas would keep building its super secret bases under hospitals, schools, etc, because Israel has no qualms about leveling civilian centers for any reason. they love blowing up hospitals, its probably safer to put your base under a seven loving eleven.

Also also, if I was in possession of knowledge of my enemies super secret base, I would use that knowledge for my military operations, I wouldn't just yell it out over the internet, giving them plenty of time to move to a new spot.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

celadon posted:

Once Israel finishes this project, and 2 million people have been killed or exiled from the Gaza strip, do you think that the presence of a Hamas super secret base (shown here in extremely believable and not just made up high tech 3d render) under a hospital that was levelled by Israeli bombs, is going to move the needle very much? like, oh yeah dang I totally would have thought this was a genocide but it turns out there was a Hamas super secret base under every man woman and child in the entire territory, so the indiscriminate slaughter of countless civilians was actually a prudent and reserved move by the only democracy in the middle east.

Also, it makes no sense that Hamas would keep building its super secret bases under hospitals, schools, etc, because Israel has no qualms about leveling civilian centers for any reason. they love blowing up hospitals, its probably safer to put your base under a seven loving eleven.

Also also, if I was in possession of knowledge of my enemies super secret base, I would use that knowledge for my military operations, I wouldn't just yell it out over the internet, giving them plenty of time to move to a new spot.

Ehh... as much leeway as Israel has in the international community, I think there would be irredeemable backlash if they actually directly bombed Shifa. Otherwise, they would have done it by now.

If Hamas is located there, moved elsewhere with much less civilians present at all hours, and Israel found out where, they would immediate level it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kalit posted:

In addition to what others had posted, there's this article which includes the following:

Now, maybe the health minister just happened be going to the Shifa hospital to get a quick check up done. And the crowds gathered there somehow knew he was going to be there in advance for non-HQ related reasons.

And that the Amnesty International article findings of those instances against political dissidents at Shifa happened to be a coincidence of why it was used as the location.

And maybe another coincidence of why Shifa happened to be the location of an improvised broadcast studio by Al Jazeera when interviewing Hamas' spokesmen Mushir al-Masri

So, yea, while it's impossible to 100% prove that it's the HQ, it seems extremely likely that it is. Or at least was back in 2014.

Can you really not think of any other reason why the Palestinian Authority's health minister might want to visit the largest hospital in Gaza right after an Israeli bombardment and invasion killed 2,000+ people and wounded 10,000+? I'm trying real hard to be nice here, but this is the kind of absurdity I'd expect to hear from a conspiracy theorist.

Similarly, journalists setting up a studio there isn't surprising since the place is more likely to have power (something that's useful to have for a studio) and less likely to be bombed (something journalists generally don't want to happen to them).

Seriously, if you want to say that Hamas' main military command center is in an underground base below a hospital, you need more than "a few Hamas members were occasionally sighted in or near the hospital". I wouldn't expect better from Algemeiner, an openly pro-Israel paper known for its particularly harsh bias against Palestinians, but I'd expect better from D&D posters.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Kalit posted:

Ehh... as much leeway as Israel has in the international community, I think there would be irredeemable backlash if they actually directly bombed Shifa. Otherwise, they would have done it by now.

If Hamas is located there, moved elsewhere with much less civilians present at all hours, and Israel found out where, they would immediate level it.

Didn't they cut comms completely anyways? How would we know otherwise

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 27, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In my personal opinion: Israel failed to realize that a large-scale Hamas attack, trained in advance for a year, where Hamas trained soldiers to use paragliders in broad daylight, was going to occur. Anyone who believes they actually have an extensive map of Hamas' underground tunnel & base network is looking for a reason to support the bombing.

Main Paineframe posted:

Can you really not think of any other reason why the Palestinian Authority's health minister might want to visit the largest hospital in Gaza right after an Israeli bombardment and invasion killed 2,000+ people and wounded 10,000+? I'm trying real hard to be nice here, but this is the kind of absurdity I'd expect to hear from a conspiracy theorist.

This really does go back to the fact that people don't understand that Palestinians have actual government institutions.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
In case you were wondering what all that bluster would amount to when the chips were down

edit: removed as I can't find the specific source.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 27, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

In case you were wondering what all that bluster would amount to when the chips were down

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1717987925605208122

Just beyond barbaric and cruel. it is impossible for me to support biden in any capacity going forward.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Nail Rat posted:

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1717987925605208122

this is how you get another 9/11

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

I wish they would note the source, I can't find anything about it and there's no live white house press briefing

E: Removed tweet since OP did

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 27, 2023

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Kalit posted:

I wish they would note the source, I can't find anything about it and there's no live white house press briefing

I'll remove that for now, but kind of find it believable. But can't find any briefing. This, however

https://twitter.com/oftheroyalblood/status/1717985328642896052

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Hey I hope this is appropriate to post on here; I was sent this and have been sending to tons of friend and posting it everywhere today. if you have time CALL senators today, leave messages and email. TODAY please.

You can find your reps here:
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Here is a script to help, it can also connect you to your reps one after the other:
https://act.uscpr.org/a/callforgaza#!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gaylor Moon posted:

Hey I hope this is appropriate to post on here; I was sent this and have been sending to tons of friend and posting it everywhere today. if you have time CALL senators today, leave messages and email. TODAY please.

You can find your reps here:
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Here is a script to help, it can also connect you to your reps one after the other:
https://act.uscpr.org/a/callforgaza#!

Mine responded back to me a week ago saying basically they dont give a gently caress and Israel can do whatever they want. This is a democrat member too. both parties suck poo poo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kalit posted:

I could only find this statement from October 10.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/foreign/israel-war-white-house-no-red-lines-netanyahu-downplays-gaza-siege

quote:

“I’m not here to draw red lines or issue warnings or give lectures to anybody,” Sullivan said. “I’m here to say that the president has given us direction to take a series of actions. We are undertaking those actions, and we will continue to do so.”

I think someone upthread mentioned that Spectator Index wasn't a particularly reliable source.

Nail Rat posted:

I'll remove that for now, but kind of find it believable. But can't find any briefing. This, however

https://twitter.com/oftheroyalblood/status/1717985328642896052

Already deleted, it appears.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

I said come in! posted:

Mine responded back to me a week ago saying basically they dont give a gently caress and Israel can do whatever they want. This is a democrat member too. both parties suck poo poo.

Oh lovely, what a show of compassion and support for human life that I'm sure they'll loving tout they have. Ugh.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My congressional reps are Dan Goldman and Chuck Schumer. I'm pretty sure emailing either of them saying that I think killing Palestinians is bad would get me put on a no fly list.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 27, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I think this is the source of the red line quote, it's from today

John Kirby posted:

“We’re not drawing red lines for Israel,” Kirby said Friday on a call with reporters. “We’re going to continue to support them” but “since the very beginning we have, and will continue to have, conversations about the manner that they are doing this.”
https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-live-updates-10-27-2023-af48f964636c8a2836e02e78ff01ec4c

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Paladinus posted:

I could only find this statement from October 10.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/foreign/israel-war-white-house-no-red-lines-netanyahu-downplays-gaza-siege

I think someone upthread mentioned that Spectator Index wasn't a particularly reliable source.

Already deleted, it appears.

Wikipedia says the Spectator Index is apparently a random doctor in Australia; at a minimum the account tries to pass itself off as an actual journalistic outlet.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
My mayor and my governor are both zionists, Schumer is a Zionist to the bone. No amount of pleading will ever sate their bloodlust for Palestinian genocide.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It feels like their conversations are not going anywhere or secretly the Biden admin is just saying “kill’em all.”

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

I said come in! posted:

It feels like their conversations are not going anywhere or secretly the Biden admin is just saying “kill’em all.”

iran hawks are clearly having a field day with the current administration

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I imagine even in the absolute bar-none best possible outcome Israel is well aware they can go "You can't actually give us any meaningful pushback without committing political suicide so lol, gently caress you."

Which is of course the best outcome and assumes a genuine serious behind the scenes push, which isn't super likely.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Thanks for finding this. It seems to be a bit different than that tweet, as it doesn't mention Kirby saying Israel owes no one any justification. But this isn't a full transcript either, of course (and looking for one comes up empty).

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Kalit posted:

That's a pretty big coincidence of why Hamas would use that location to take care of political dissidents

So, yea, while it's impossible to 100% prove that it's the HQ, it seems extremely likely that it is. Or at least was up until at least 2014.

E: Removed stuff about the health minister, that was stupid of me, sorry

Seems weird to draw this conclusion and as a rule I find implications that draw Al Jazeera to terrorism racist and nauseating

Hamas and Al Jazeera are not affiliated

Yes, we just draw red lines for everyone else in the middle east

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2023

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Seems weird to draw this conclusion and as a rule I find implications that draw Al Jazeera to terrorism racist and nauseating

all the sources to his shoddy link are from twitter too. love the casual genocide denialism

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Hamas and Al Jazeera are not affiliated

Huh? I never claimed and wasn't trying to imply they were affiliated. I'm guessing Al Jazeera were just wanting to have an interview with the political party in charge.

I would guess Hamas would be dictating where the improvised broadcast studio was setup for the interview, which might have been a convenient/central location for them (my actual implication).

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
many, many international news organizations have broadcasted from al-shifa (and indeed probably everyone here has seen footage from there from the previous conflicts whether they realize it or not) because it has always been one of the main places that Palestinian casualties are brought to (plus you have a lower chance there of getting killed by the IDF, who are infamous for not caring particularly about journalists)

like if you have ever seen a picture from a gaza hospital of wounded civilians, odds are that was al-shifa

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kalit posted:

I would guess Hamas would be dictating where the improvised broadcast studio was setup for the interview, which might have been a convenient/central location for them (my actual implication).

I'd more likely attribute it as akin to a president visiting wounded soldiers in US hospitals; it helps give the impression that you care & are doing something.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Some of the livestreams have a cam setup at Al-Shifa and you can always see people milling about outside. It's a very common place to see in any kind of conflict situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I said come in! posted:

The latter seems unlikely, seeing how whiny Israeli hawks keep being about it. The Biden admin has a surprisingly strong record in backroom talks, foreign and domestic... but there's only so far that can go with Israel if they're really dedicated to the ethnic cleansing etc.