Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zantie posted:

Yes! Thank you :)

I updated as that one was for surfaces;there’s also airborne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1717756514281071081?s=46

eyyyyy

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
AIRBORNE HIV HV1

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A new variant, a new level of mildness

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

those north king county numbers really match with what im seeing - like 3 weeks ago.

the waste water lag vs personal experience is always fascinating.
:same: but for king + snohomish

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

This does make it seem like in a cooler house indoors without UV at normal humidity (like 40-50%), poo poo is going to last on surfaces for a lot longer than people normally assume.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
By God, it's Airborne AIDS music

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
lysol propganada. surfaces are fake

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Nothus posted:

By God, it's Airborne AIDS music

Evan "COVID is Air" Bourne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe5CN5bp_cM

Need a goon with video editing skills to replace his head with covid and splice in some Applebee's action shots

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is the average time between exposure and symptoms still 2-5-ish days with the latest variants?

edit: VVV yeah, that's what I had in my mind from following this thread (and it's sources) recently, but wanted to confirm - thanks VVV

Kragger99 has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Oct 27, 2023

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Kragger99 posted:

Is the average time between exposure and symptoms still 2-5-ish days with the latest variants?

Reading reddit it's almost always 2 days. But idk.

Went down a little bit in NC covid is over

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Went down a little bit in NC covid is over

It went down in my area and looks to be on a downward trend (the numbers can lie, I know that) but it made me comfortable enough to let my kid go to the movies (masked, Aura, no popcorn eating) last night.

This is NEVER going to be over, and I need to find a way to balance safety with letting the kid have a social life. The best I can do is watch the wastewater data like it was the stock market and hope for the best.

All of that to say, I guess I'm taking that wastewater data and deciding that this is as close to "over" as I'm going to get before Spring, so I should take some advantage of it.

I am always ready to accept my FAFO badge, though.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
I'm still half expecting the frequency of waves to increase die to the increasing diversity of subvariants. Cases still don't get counted when under 90 days since the last positive (unless under very specific circumstances) so that maxes out at four a year, so about the only way to see it anymore will be via wastewater.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
We'll always have Yankee Candle though.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/26/detecting-covid-surges-contract-dispute-00123787 posted:

Detecting Covid surges is getting harder, thanks to a contract dispute
A quarter of CDC-sponsored wastewater surveillance sites are shut down.

A quarter of the nation’s wastewater testing sites — one of the most dependable ways of tracking Covid surges — are shut down indefinitely over a contract dispute.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention wants to replace the firm it has worked with since 2020 to test wastewater for Covid in order to better direct public health resources. But that firm, Massachusetts-based Biobot, has filed a protest, stymieing the transition.
(..)
A quarter of the nation’s testing sites — some 400 in “a handful of states and territories” — are shut down because of the dispute, the CDC said, while the remaining 1,200 sites are not covered under the contract and can continue work.

A CDC spokesperson said the agency felt that was enough to maintain a “pretty comprehensive” picture of Covid and Mpox spread, but others are skeptical.

“The existing gap in the wastewater data will continue for possibly several months as we head into flu season and another Covid surge,” said one state health department epidemiologist who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly. “It’s not as easy as just handing the keys to Verily.”

A second state health department official who wasn’t authorized to speak publicly, agreed that changing vendors — protest aside — could harm Covid surveillance efforts this fall and winter. “It’s the time that it takes to turn the ship to get it done,” the official said.

Even if Verily is able to begin work soon, some foresee problems related to the continuity of the data.

“The loss is the loss of historical comparability. It’s like starting from day zero with a new surveillance system,” said David Larsen, chair of the public health department at Syracuse University and a wastewater surveillance researcher. “It’s not ideal to change methods.”

A CDC spokesperson said the issue will be addressed but declined to say how.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Shocking stuff.
"Outcomes of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant Infections Compared with Seasonal Influenza and Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infections in Adults Attending the Emergency Department: A Multicentre Cohort Study"

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciad660/7330559 posted:

Abstract
Background
There is a controversy over the impact of SARS-CoV-2 infections in an era of less virulent variants and an increasing population immunity. We compared outcomes in adults attending the emergency department (ED) with an Omicron, influenza, or respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection.

Methods
Retrospective multicentre cohort study including adults attending the ED in six acute care hospitals in Stockholm County, Sweden, with an Omicron, influenza, or RSV infection during 2021-22 and 2015-19. During 2021-22, patients were tested for all three viruses by multiplex PCR testing. The primary outcome was 30-day all-cause mortality. Secondary outcomes were 90-day all-cause mortality, hospitalization, and intensive care unit (ICU) admission.

Results
A total of 6,385 patients from 2021-22 were included in the main analyses: 4,833 Omicron, 1,099 influenza, and 453 RSV. The 30-day mortality was 7.9% (n=381) in the Omicron, 2.5% (n=28) in the influenza, and 6.0% (n=27) in the RSV cohort. Patients with Omicron had an adjusted 30-day mortality odds ratio (OR) of 2.36 (95% confidence interval [CI] 1.60-3.62) compared with influenza and 1.42 (95% CI 0.94-2.21) compared with RSV. Among unvaccinated Omicron patients, stronger associations were observed compared with both influenza (OR 5.51 [95% CI 3.41-9.18]) and RSV (OR 3.29 [95% CI 2.01-5.56]). Similar trends were observed for secondary outcomes. Findings were consistent in comparisons with 5,709 pre-pandemic influenza 995 RSV patients.

Conclusion
In patients attending the ED, infections with Omicron were both more common and associated with more severe outcomes compared with influenza and RSV, in particular among unvaccinated patients.

More important than the percentages, considering the conclusion, is that the nominal deaths were: 381 for Omicron, 28 for influenza and 27 for RSV.

News article on the matter:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/sars-cov-2-omicron-variant-more-common-tied-more-severe-outcomes-flu-rsv posted:

SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant more common, tied to more severe outcomes than flu, RSV

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
how many prevailing sublineages are we down the road from B.1.1.529 now? Like... at least 7 different dominant strains to the tune of 50+% of cases since then right.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Zantie posted:

I'm still half expecting the frequency of waves to increase die to the increasing diversity of subvariants. Cases still don't get counted when under 90 days since the last positive (unless under very specific circumstances) so that maxes out at four a year, so about the only way to see it anymore will be via wastewater.
The baseline has also gone up and stayed there. I dunno what'll happen with waves, but we've definitely seen quite a lot of sea level rise.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how many prevailing sublineages are we down the road from B.1.1.529 now? Like... at least 7 different dominant strains to the tune of 50+% of cases since then right.

Here's what wikipedia says

Several subvariants of Omicron have been discovered and new ones continue to emerge.[12] There are 310 Pango lineages[clarification needed] currently associated with the Omicron variant.[135] The 'standard' sublineage is now referred to as BA.1 (or B.1.1.529.1), and the two other sublineages are known as BA.2 (or B.1.1.529.2) and BA.3 (or B.1.1.529.3).[136] In mid-2022, BA.4 (or B.1.1.529.4) and BA.5 (or B.1.1.529.5) were detected in several countries.[137] They share many mutations, but also significantly differ. In general, BA.1 and BA.2 share 32 mutations, but differ by 28.[138] BA.1 has itself been divided in two, the original BA.1 and BA.1.1 (or B.1.1.529.1.1) where the main difference is that the latter has a R346K mutation.[139]

Don't know how recent that is.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

The baseline has also gone up and stayed there. I dunno what'll happen with waves, but we've definitely seen quite a lot of sea level rise.

Very true.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pingui posted:

We'll always have Yankee Candle though.

All Washington state wastewater sites that restarted are blank pre-Sep 15 for exactly that reason, the labs and methods changed mean you can't compare the new data to the past without serious effort. From what you posted with Biobot fighting the transition it could be into next year before it hashes out.

It's not the worst time of year for this to happen, but it's definitely not great! Wouldn't have been the worst time of year to transition if it weren't for the legal battle. Royally sucks that those 400 sites will be dark until it's resolved in what did the article say, Jan.?

So far I'm a little biased because WastewaterScan provides so much more raw data than I could ever get through Biobot. I can actually normalize it to PMMoV on my own whereas Biobot's data through the CDC via NWSS was (as far as I could tell) pre-normalized for census population and heavily smoothed to even out the greater variation with that method from things like rainfall and tourism.

If anyone else has insight to the background work for all this I'd love to hear more/be corrected.

[Edit] I am aware that Biobot normalized for PMMoV on their site, but they combined multiple sites per county which drove me nuts.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Oct 27, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

got pushed back
back again
got pushed back
life expectancy when

lmao

edit, oh this is normal, but still i lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tighclops posted:

you never go rear end to moth

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/HeatherMarcoux/status/1717657025872888195https://twitter.com/HeatherMarcoux/status/1717703475293794754

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Someone yelled at me from their car, I think they said

"heaaay naaAAH COVID'S OVeaaaa fuckin daaaaaa"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Sorry, that was me, seemed like they didn't know COVID is over. I was trying to help.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Shiroc posted:

What is it at now?

12-28 Million Dead was the WHO estimate in March

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Zantie posted:

From the sounds of it that have stuff changing in the background that are delaying things. Next update will be Nov. 3rd, then it should go back to weekly after that.

Strike that, looks like they're ahead of schedule. Biobot just announced they're moving back to weekly updates today.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
waiting for my surgery, my wife and I in n95s, no other masks. a nurse asks if we’re sick or if we are just wearing masks for some reason

“masks for some reason”

:confused:

like what were you gonna do if we said sick?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shazbot posted:

waiting for my surgery, my wife and I in n95s, no other masks. a nurse asks if we’re sick or if we are just wearing masks for some reason

“masks for some reason”

Man, I'd like to say to them "I'm just protecting myself from a serious airborne pathogen that's currently spreading. I'm surprised someone in your field doesn't understand how airborne transmission works". But they'd just immediately get angry at my "attack" because the desire to suck and gently caress and ignore severely outweighs their critical thought.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Well, despite our precautions, our family got got. It was likely while getting our kids vaccinated from covid. Yup. There was some mixed up paperwork and we were there forever. It's so loving hard to keep a 6yo and 4yo safe from covid. Such loving bullshit.

e: picking up paxlovid, there were two people working there. One was masked and hurried to get it filled for me so I could get out. From the other side of the room, an unmasked woman looked at me and said "you shouldn't be the one picking that up"
"I'm masked and my whole family is sick" shut her up. But seriously what did she think, that I wanted to come to the store while sick to pick up pax? JFC I need a new pharmacy. But they all suck around here.

Malgrin has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Oct 27, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Man that really sucks :(

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shazbot posted:

“masks for some reason”

lol I was just at the doctor's office and got that.

"Are you wearing that because you're sick?"
"I'm wearing it so I don't get sick."
"...oh"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

On the plus side, weight's down 10 lbs from my last appointment in April, turns out that good things happen when you aren't Helping the Economy

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I came to this thread really late so I don't know if it was ever discussed here: were there any studies of efficacy of using hypochlorous acid in cold humidifiers for rooms to sanitize the air? I was turned onto it by a friend's dentist and it's often used in Asia and parts of Europe. I also use it for a surface cleaner (I bought a HoCI generator) and sanitizer.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got the moderna juice yesterday.

12 hours after injection I got the body aches and chills. Spent all night bouncing in and out sleep/fever dreams. Deltoid still really sore. It kinda feels like how actual covid did in January.

Asked for novavax but lol of course I had to call around to find the one pharmacy that had it if I wanted it.

Whatever, hopefully this vaccine actually keeps me from getting too sick this winter.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Malgrin posted:

Well, despite our precautions, our family got got. It was likely while getting our kids vaccinated from covid. Yup. There was some mixed up paperwork and we were there forever. It's so loving hard to keep a 6yo and 4yo safe from covid. Such loving bullshit.

e: picking up paxlovid, there were two people working there. One was masked and hurried to get it filled for me so I could get out. From the other side of the room, an unmasked woman looked at me and said "you shouldn't be the one picking that up"
"I'm masked and my whole family is sick" shut her up. But seriously what did she think, that I wanted to come to the store while sick to pick up pax? JFC I need a new pharmacy. But they all suck around here.

its always funny when people yoloing are trying to police your actions but I also was asked by the pharmacist when I called to see if they had pax in stock to please pick it up through the drive thru window. it honestly hadn't even occurred to me since covid is over.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some details on the change to private market Paxlovid.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-shifting-covid-antivirals-commercial-market-nov-1-2023-10-27/ posted:

US shifting COVID antivirals to commercial market on Nov. 1

Most people will retain access to Pfizer's (PFE.N) Paxlovid and Merck's (MRK.N) Lagevrio COVID-19 oral antiviral treatments for little or no cost even after the U.S. government starts handing over their distribution to the commercial market next month, health officials said on Friday.

The government has been overseeing distribution of the treatments, alongside vaccines and tests, but has transferring that work to traditional commercial channels. Commercial ordering for the treatments is set to start on Nov. 1.

The U.S. government paid around $530 per course for Paxlovid, the most commonly prescribed at home COVID-19 treatment in the country, and made it available at no cost.

Pfizer said last week it had set the price for Paxlovid at nearly $1,400 per course before rebates and other discounts to insurers and pharmacy benefit managers are taken into account.

"The launch of these products, which is what's going to happen on Nov. 1, is not going to bring sudden changes because there's still an ample supply of federally-owned therapeutics with millions of treatment courses still in the field," said a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) official.

"Most people who need therapeutics will continue to be able to access the treatment they need at low or no cost, both during this transition, as well as after this transition to the commercial market," he said on a call with journalists.

Providers will be able to order government-supplied Lagevrio until Nov. 10 and Paxlovid until Dec. 15, the official said, and the government is encouraging them to keep distributing the federal-owned supply they have at no cost until it expires or runs out.

Under an agreement with Pfizer allowing the return of 7.9 million courses, the credits for the returned doses will underwrite a program keeping Paxlovid free of charge for patients insured under the Medicare and Medicaid programs through the end of 2024, and to uninsured and underinsured patients through 2028, the official said.

Returns will begin on Nov. 15, the official said, and will be accepted through the end of the year. The government is recommending returns start in December enough time for the establishment of patient assistance programs and securing of commercially-labeled doses.

If anybody is so inclined here is the letter Becerra posted to the manufacturers about it:

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023...-community.html posted:

Letter to COVID-19 therapeutics manufacturers, distributors, pharmacies and the health care payer community.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Oct 27, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Even though the letter was written down, you could still tell his eyes had turned into dollar signs.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
cool my surgery got canceled as they were rolling me to the OR

wonderful medical system we got here. would be a shame if something happened to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I wonder why that is :iiam:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/27/health/covid-vaccination-rates.html posted:

Few Americans Have Gotten the New Covid Shots, C.D.C. Finds

Few Americans have opted to be immunized against the coronavirus so far this fall: Just over 7 percent of adults and 2 percent of children had received a Covid-19 vaccine as of Oct. 14, according to a survey presented on Thursday to scientific advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The uptake is weak even among those most at risk of severe illness. Only one in five people age 75 or older has been vaccinated, along with about 15 percent of those ages 65 to 74, according to the survey of nearly 15,000 people.

Why It Matters: Covid is still dangerous to some Americans.
More than 1,200 people are dying of Covid each week, according to C.D.C. data.
(..)
Less than 1 percent of Native Americans and Alaska Natives, and 7.6 percent of Black Americans, had received the vaccine as of Oct. 14.
(..)
So far, more than 380,000 doses have been administered to uninsured people at more than 24,000 pharmacies.
(..)
Second Opinion: Younger people are less vulnerable.
Some experts have argued that immunity from previous infections and vaccinations is enough to protect most young people from severe illness and death from Covid.

The C.D.C. recommended on Sept. 12 that all Americans age 6 months and older receive at least one dose of the latest Covid shots. At the time, advisers to the agency were united in endorsing the vaccines for those at high risk because of their age, race or health status.

But a few advisers also expressed concern about recommending the shots to younger people, especially children, and young males at higher risk for myocarditis, an uncommon side effect. Relatively young and healthy people are at much lower risk of severe illness.

Still, in some patients, the virus can inflict long-term damage to the heart and other organs.

(..)

:ms: